Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Right Guard

CR91

So I think its safe to say that joe reitz will be the RT. His only real competition is good and he isnt even getting reps at second string tackle. As for clark, I think the colts want to take their time and develop him and let him start once reitz's contract is up in two years. Which begs the question who starts at RG? Most would say hugh thornton which is probably the correct choice, however I don't think its a safe bet. As much attention as harrison is getting at guard, I dont trust him at pass blocking. Hes decent when it comes to run blocking, but horrific at pass blocking and if the idea is to protect luck then harrison needs to be far away. Depth wise, I dont have a problem. Good could be an option at guard, however Im not sure he could really make the transition though. The most intriguing option for me is Joe Haeg. I said it before I think he was drafted to be our joe reitz of the future. Not sure how well he can play guard, but I do like the fact he is getting reps there enforcing my initial thought of how the colts envisioned him. I do think thornton will start, however I don't expect it to last and I can forsee the RG spot being a revolving door all season long.

3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

AC-JM-RK-HT-JR more than likely will be our starters

None of the rookies other than Kelly are even close to being ready to start this season

I don't think the coaches know that to be true right now, let alone a poster on a message board.

Let them get to camp and actually put pads on first.

Does anyone really want to see 2 rookies playing next to each other on the interior of the OL? I don't think any rookie besides Kelly starts. I expect Thorton to win the job but if he's unseated I think Harrison or Good are the guys to do it 

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

Does anyone really want to see 2 rookies playing next to each other on the interior of the OL? I don't think any rookie besides Kelly starts. I expect Thorton to win the job but if he's unseated I think Harrison or Good are the guys to do it 

If they are determined to be the best options - yes.

I would be more concerned with two of the same from last year starting next to each other.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I don't think the coaches know that to be true right now, let alone a poster on a message board.

Its a good discussion during this dead period, but you're right, no one has a clue until we see them in pads.

Some may think it's bad luck to say, but let's face it, injuries will play a part in determining the starters and who makes the team.  We all think we know the top 10 Olinemen but it's possible a dark horse could break through. 

Cant wait.  

I really think Le'Raven Clark has a shot to start by year's end at RT. He has much more talent than Reitz, just needs to be coached up during the year. Haeg I could see as a swing player similar to how Reitz is being used. As for RG, I think it'll be a battle between Good and Thornton.

I think we'll open the season with Castonzo-Mewhort-Kelly-Thornton-Reitz as the starting lineup. Obviously there's the possibility of injury shaking that up. And performance will have to be considered too - if Thornton doesn't play well for example, I could see Good or Haeg replacing him. But I think Thornton will start off the season at RG.

I think Thornton will need a big camp to keep the RG spot.  He's had three years to claim it and he hasn't been able to. Harrison needs a big camp just to make the team for the same reason.  We didn't draft all of these OL for nothing.  It appears they really like Good and I think he's the favorite to win the job given the history of Thornton and Harrison. I think we will move on with our young draft class at the expense of Thornton and or Harrison unless they have a monster camp and preseason. 

9 hours ago, jskinnz said:

true. But just going off my opinion. Not saying someone like Heagg can't come in and start, just that it's very unlikely

This current popular view in this thread of "nobody has a clue until we see them in pads" is off the mark in my view.

We may not have a great understanding of how things are going,   but we've got a little idea....

Harrison isn't getting so much attention because he's great,  he's getting so much attention because Thornton is hurt and not practicing.

Now,  why Harrison over Good right now,  I don't know?      Is Good hurt now too,  and I've missed that?      I do know that he's up to 355!      That's +15 from his listed 340 from last year.     

Reitz will be the RT unless something bad happens.

I'm curious why Clark's first snaps are at tackle and not guard,   but Philbin has forgotten more about this than I've ever learned.      It would just seem to me to be safer to start Clark inside and learn where he can protected and covered on both sides.       Learning the tackle spot with on the job training coming from his background seems an invitation to trouble.     But that's what it seems like to me from the outside looking in....

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This current popular view in this thread of "nobody has a clue until we see them in pads" is off the mark in my view.

We may not have a great understanding of how things are going,   but we've got a little idea....

Harrison isn't getting so much attention because he's great,  he's getting so much attention because Thornton is hurt and not practicing.

Now,  why Harrison over Good right now,  I don't know?      Is Good hurt now too,  and I've missed that?      I do know that he's up to 355!      That's +15 from his listed 340 from last year.     

I'm curious why Clark's first snaps are at tackle and not guard,   but Philbin has forgotten more about this than I've ever learned.      It would just seem to me to be safer to start Clark inside and learn where he can protected and covered on both sides.       Learning the tackle spot with on the job training coming from his background seems an invitation to trouble.     But that's what it seems like to me from the outside looking in....

Clarks not near strong enough to handle NFL D Linemen plus as a Guard or Center you are responsible for much more variety of blitz pick up than at Tackle, Where as at Tackle you are most often responsible for the DE and often that is it. He should be able to pick up Tackle more quickly in theory than Guard considering he really only has to develop his technique for that.......Also I highly doubt 355 was the intended weight for Good

10 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Clarks not near strong enough to handle NFL D Linemen plus as a Guard or Center you are responsible for much more variety of blitz pick up than at Tackle, Where as at Tackle you are most often responsible for the DE and often that is it. He should be able to pick up Tackle more quickly in theory than Guard considering he really only has to develop his technique for that.......Also I highly doubt 355 was the intended weight for Good

Gavin.......

You've just basically written that guard is harder to play than tackle.

Not only is that not true,  it's not even a little bit true.

It's why tackles are far more coveted than guards.      It's why OK tackles are moved inside where they can turn into much better guards.

Tackles get blitzed plenty....    but outside linebackers,  by safeties...   and D-tackles that are coming around on a looping stunt.

As for the 355,  no one uses the off-season camp to get into shape anymore.    Teams don't let players get bigger because they're going to sweat it off coming training camp in July and August.      There's a reason why he's this big.     I don't know what the reason is,  especially when other players are either looking to get smaller (Thornton) or holding their weight....     but when the biggest guy on the line (Good) who was already 340 suddenly is listed at 355,  then odds are,  there's a plan in place.   Because if there isn't,  then that shouldn't happen.

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Gavin.......

You've just basically written that guard is harder to play than tackle.

Not only is that not true,  it's not even a little bit true.

It's why tackles are far more coveted than guards.      It's why OK tackles are moved inside where they can turn into much better guards.

Tackles get blitzed plenty....    but outside linebackers,  by safeties...   and D-tackles that are coming around on a looping stunt.

As for the 355,  no one uses the off-season camp to get into shape anymore.    Teams don't let players get bigger because they're going to sweat it off coming training camp in July and August.      There's a reason why he's this big.     I don't know what the reason is,  especially when other players are either looking to get smaller (Thornton) or holding their weight....     but when the biggest guy on the line (Good) who was already 340 suddenly is listed at 355,  then odds are,  there's a plan in place.   Because if there isn't,  then that shouldn't happen.

It does not show it by how they are paid but Guard is just about as hard as Tackle and I have always thought Guard was underrated in how difficult it is compared to Tackle. Also you don't have near the variety of stunts and Safety blitzes coming around Tackle as you do Guard. Tackle is more coveted than Guard because they are the ones most often that have to handle the best pass rushers 1 o 1....That however is not always the case because plenty of teams now have an interior D Lineman. That varies team to team. Not because they see so many different stunts and blitzes.

Guard is very hard to play, you have to account for a variety of blitzes. Run up and block Linebackers on run plays and be responsible for opening up running lanes. Its true that Guards do have more help of course but I believe they are responsible for more mentally. In some schemes and systems the Guard is actually responsible for O Line calls. Its actually not always the Center...I'm also not buying Good ballooning up to 355 was planned. Of course there is a reason but it could be a variety of things...A real endless possibility. I just don't think that was the plan....Players don't always follow the plan laid out to them during the offseason

There's no telling who will start and who's going to be playing where. But for the first time since we drafted Andrew Luck, we have a lot of guys who are competing for a starting spot and it appear a lot of these guys can play multiple positions.

It's good to see that we actually have a center now and some depth. I'm guessing if Thornton can ever get healthy he will be our guy, but I'm still waiting to see that 'Mauler' side of him.

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think Thornton will need a big camp to keep the RG spot.  He's had three years to claim it and he hasn't been able to. Harrison needs a big camp just to make the team for the same reason.  We didn't draft all of these OL for nothing.  It appears they really like Good and I think he's the favorite to win the job given the history of Thornton and Harrison. I think we will move on with our young draft class at the expense of Thornton and or Harrison unless they have a monster camp and preseason. 

I'm in line with this

I think ultimately the staff wants Good and Clark playing next to each other just like they are doing it right now on the second team. If for some reason Good does not play the guard spot well enough they put Haeg in that spot with Good as the top swing reserve. This is what I see them doing for the future. For this season I see Thorton there but the leash will be short if he gets hurt. If he gets hurt I think they wont blink to put Good in his place. I see Harrison being cut, but knowing this staff it would not shock me if they keep Harrison as the back up center and cut Blythe hoping they can put him on the PS. I hope that's not the plan though. I want Harrison gone bucko!

10 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I'm not sure Luck would be.

I'm okay with moving on from Thornton as a starter, if he can't stay healthy. However I dont think it would be wise to cut him. I see no problem with good playing the guard.

1 minute ago, akcolt said:

I'm not sure we go with 2 rookies at C. I think we may keep 9 or 10 OL this season. If Anderson starts on the PUP maybe we trim then buy a few weeks 

You're probably right although Harrison playing center is like having a rookie. Also Harrison has been playing center for Luck since his rookie year so I'm not sure how big the rookie issue is? I get your angle though.

Just now, krunk said:

I'm okay with moving on from Thornton as a starter, if he can't stay healthy. However I dont think it would be wise to cut him. I see no problem with good playing the guard.

I can get behind that. I don't see it happening. I think Thorton benefits the most from Philbin presence

Coaching and hopefully having a real C on one side and if Reitz is the RT. It will be the first time he has played next to the same T 2 yrs in a row in his career. All should help Hugh. 

If Thorton can stay healthy I expect a solid maybe a break out year. I think he wins the RG job easily. There's really not much to challenge him IMO. A couple of 7th rounders and an UDFA. Thorton's obviously the most talented of the group.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

You're probably right although Harrison playing center is like having a rookie. Also Harrison has been playing center for Luck since his rookie year so I'm not sure how big the rookie issue is? I get your angle though.

Really it depends on the player and not the position of which they play. Harrison already came with NFL caliber O Linemen strength which is most likely why staff was alright with him starting at the time so they figured let him take his rookie lumps and improve on his technique...That along with Holmes not being able to stay healthy. He lacks athleticism which is his biggest downfall but not his only one

10 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Really it depends on the player and not the position of which they play. Harrison already came with NFL caliber O Linemen strength which is most likely why staff was alright with him starting at the time so they figured let him take his rookie lumps and improve on his technique...That along with Holmes not being able to stay healthy. He lacks athleticism which is his biggest downfall but not his only one

I wish we could get rid of him but my gut says they will keep him as the reserve center due to his experience and they'll cut Blythe with the hopes he can be stashed on the PS

25 minutes ago, Gavin said:

i see your point

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think that may be an error with the site. He's been listed at 340 practically the entire off season. Now all of a sudden he goes up 15 lbs. Wouldn't be surprised if the figure changes.

I think Thornton's primed for a breakout season in the new ZBS. And I've said this before, but if he does breakout and play up to his potential we're talking about a top tier offensive line........FINALLY!!!!!! LOL. you have to expect Castanzo to bounce back as he's a top 10 LT, and Mewhort in his 3rd full season should be truly entering his prime, and I think Kelly will be a beast from week 1 on. I think/hope Good beats out Reitz at RT. He showed some flashes last season in the few games he played. Reitz is kinda what he is. He's a serviceable, mostly reliable, slightly above average offensive lineman. But my hope is that Good can be our RT of the future and be top 10ish at his position.  So here's my prediction.....

Castanzo--Mewhort--Kelly--Thornton--Good

We have some quality depth this year too......Finally. Backups will be Reitz, Clark, Haeg, and Blythe. We have the potential to have a very good line guys.

I am a cheerleader for Denzelle Good at right guard. If he wins the competition, more power to him. Thornton has had his chances to win the job. He screwed the pooch. While he has the experience and the physical attributes, he looks good for a two quarters and then totally messes up. That is his calling card.

Haeg simply needs to get bigger and stronger to play guard in the NFL. That's not going to happen in a few months time.

Love Joe Reitz, but this narrative of him being a 16+game starter at RT leaves me shaking me head. JR at RT should only be an 'as needed' solution. Good must earn that spot back when the doctors green light him.

17 hours ago, akcolt said:

I dont care how many rookies start on the o line if they are better than our other options. We've started veterans on the o line who were horrendous. 

Just my opinion, but I think Good can be the best of the bunch.   6;6'' 345 lbs, a 30 on his Wonderlic, Grigson says he can play any position on the line, he can dunk a basketball, he figured things out quickly when he did play.....I just really think Philbin can turn this guy into his Frankenstein (That's Frankensteen). 

7 hours ago, krunk said:

I think that may be an error with the site. He's been listed at 340 practically the entire off season. Now all of a sudden he goes up 15 lbs. Wouldn't be surprised if the figure changes.

What I've noted since 2013.....  it also happened in '14, and '15 and now in 16,  is that right after camp breaks and the players leave for roughly 50 days the roster gets updated with new weights.

Not everybody has a different weight.     In fact this year fewer players changed weight up or down than any other year that I've been a fan.     Good is not the only player with a new number.     There are one or two dozen other guys as well.       So,  this is definitely deliberate.     And the team doesn't update them officially on the website for one full year.     This is the only time I'm aware of that the weight is changed.     If I'm wrong,  I hope someone corrects me,   but I believe I'm correct.

Good's number jumped off the screen at me,  I was hoping to see smaller...    maybe in the 330's or perhaps even as low as 325.     But I certainly could've been OK at 340.       But 355?      I have no idea what they're thinking on this one......?

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I dont care how many rookies start on the o line if they are better than our other options. We've started veterans on the o line who were horrendous. 

If we have any rookie but Kelly starting week 1 chance are someone maybe a couple of injuries have happened.  

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

If we have any rookie but Kelly starting week 1 chance are someone maybe a couple of injuries have happened.  

Kind of pre mature to say who will be starting at this point. It's not out of the question for a rookie to earn a starting spot during training camp and 5 pre season games.