Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL?

MarquisJ

Probably wont keep 10 who gets cut? Fill and replace!

Anthony Constanzo     Jack Mewhort     Ryan Kelly           Hugh Thorton            LeRaven Clark

Joe Haeg                    Joe Reitz        Austin Blythe      Jonathan Harrison     Denzelle Good

11 minutes ago, Devildog said:

I think either Harrison or Thorton or both will get cut and Haeg or Blythe will end up in PS. 

thornton should stay, he has decent upside and was actually our best run blocker.  he might lose the starting job though

i think its harrison or blythe that gets cut.  i dont know a lot about haeg but i think he has a good chance to make the 53

Pretty sure that we are gonna keep:
1. Castonzo

2. Mewhort

3. Kelly

4. Reitz

5. Clark

Assuming that we are gonna carry 8 OL through the season i think the we could keep:
1. Good

2. Haeg

3.- Blythe/Thorton ( The real battle for the backup G, although Thorton could end with the starting job)

4.- Harrison is gone.

My line would be :

Castonzo Mewhort Kelly Clark/Good Good/Clark

Reitz(T/G), Haeg(T), Blythe( C/G)

I've got Harrison and Blythe in competition for a C/G back-up role (one of those two has got to make the roster to give us a viable back-up center).  While both could make the roster, I think only one will.  However, I think that Kitt O'Brien could be a dark-horse to make the roster as a 10th OL...

We're gonna keep 9. Hopefully Thornton breaks out and becomes a beast.

Castanzo-Mewhort-Kelly-Thornton-Good

Backups - Reitz, Clark, Haeg, Blythe.

Harrison, and Holmes both get cut, or maybe one gets stashed on the PUP. That wouldn't surprise me.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

We're gonna keep 9. Hopefully Thornton breaks out and becomes a beast.

Backups - Reitz, Clark, Haeg, Blythe.

Harrison, and Holmes both get cut, or maybe one gets stashed on the PUP. That wouldn't surprise me.

You can't stash someone on PUP.

2 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

Anthony Constanzo     Jack Mewhort     Ryan Kelly           Hugh Thorton            LeRaven Clark

Joe Haeg                    Joe Reitz        Austin Blythe      Jonathan Harrison     Denzelle Good

Constanzo, Mewhort, Kelly, Reitz, Clark, Good, and Haeg are pretty much locks IMO.

Blythe and Harrison will battle for the backup center slot with one of them probably staying to do that.

Thorton might be the other odd man out but I do think it's possible the keep 9.

27 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Does Harrison suffer from a football related injury that prevents his participating in training camp? (Holmes has already been released)  Only then he can be put on pre-season PUP, but cannot participate in training camp activity. If still on PUP when camp ends, they must place him on 53 man roster, or he's placed on Season PUP and must abide by the new (2013) PUP rules. He's not P.S. eligible, so otherwise must make the team or be released as well if not PUP eligible.

Only our drafted rooks are P.S. eligible at this time, if they can't beat out a vet.

38 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You can't stash someone on PUP.

It seems like it happens all the time. Guys go on PUP or IR without real reason. I don't know. I might be wrong. I forgot we just cut Holmes though.

13 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

It seems like it happens all the time. Guys go on PUP or IR without real reason. I don't know. I might be wrong. I forgot we just cut Holmes though.

IR is different than PUP.  The only way a player can be on the PUP list is if he starts training camp on the PUP list.  If he participates in even a single training camp practice then he is ineligible to be on the PUP list.

10 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Harrison will not make the final 53 and Haeg probably ends up on the practice squad.  Then you have Reitz who can come in at LT or LG, Blythe, who can back-up LG, C, RG and the Good or Clark at the back up RT.

Hmmm.  I see Haeg as an ideal ZBS OG, and as Thornton's primary competition at RG.  That's 100% conjecture, though, as we have no idea what Philbin has in mind.  Maybe he'll do a Mudd-style muddle, where he tries them all at different spots until he finds a combo he likes...

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

Hmmm.  I see Haeg as an ideal ZBS OG, and as Thornton's primary competition at RG.  That's 100% conjecture, though, as we have no idea what Philbin has in mind.  Maybe he'll do a Mudd-style muddle, where he tries them all at different spots until he finds a combo he likes...

I have no idea either.  I don't think Haeg is ready for the NFL, I think he's going to take a year to be ready.  Also, I'm not sure what you see for Haeg to move to guard, right now, he lacks the strength and power to handle NFL DEs, there is no way he's ready for NFL DTs.  He reminds me so much of Demulling, although Demulling had NFL strength when he came into the league, he just needed to get used to the speed.  haeg, is going to have to get used to that speed while developing NFL level strength.

Like you said, this is all just specualtion on my part as well.

They didn't draft four OL for nothing.  Thornton and Harrison have been given plenty of opportunities to prove they belong.   Coach Philbin had input in this draft and the likelihood all four make the roster is very high.   I think if they cut one it is Thornton because of his lack of versatility and if they cut two Harrison will join him.  I think they are hoping Good wins the RG spot and Clark wins the RT with Reitz in the wings if one of them isn't ready.  The extra pre season game really came at a good time for evaluation purposes.  I am really looking forward to seeing how our line shapes up. 

On May 12, 2016 at 2:19 PM, richard pallo said:

They didn't draft four OL for nothing.  Thornton and Harrison have been given plenty of opportunities to prove they belong.   Coach Philbin had input in this draft and the likelihood all four make the roster is very high.   I think if they cut one it is Thornton because of his lack of versatility and if they cut two Harrison will join him.  I think they are hoping Good wins the RG spot and Clark wins the RT with Reitz in the wings if one of them isn't ready.  The extra pre season game really came at a good time for evaluation purposes.  I am really looking forward to seeing how our line shapes up. 

Harrison has played C. He hasn't done anything at G. I'm not seeing how that makes him more versitile than Thorton. I'd say Thorton is a better ZBS fit and probable week 1 starter. 

I just don't see starting 2 rookies starting side by side doing Luck any favors. Kelly better start at C and be very good. We took him at 18. 

They cut the biggest drag on the team in Holmes. I'd guess the final spot comes down to Harrison and Blythe. I'd give Harrison the early advantage due to Blythe being PS eligable.  

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

Harrison has played C. He hasn't done anything at G. I'm not seeing how that makes him more versitile than Thorton. I'd say Thorton is a better ZBS fit and probable week 1 starter. 

I just don't see starting 2 rookies starting side by side doing Luck any favors. Kelly better start at C and be very good. We took him at 18. 

They cut the biggest drag on the team in Holmes. I'd guess the final spot comes down to Harrison and Blythe. I'd give Harrison the early advantage due to Blythe being PS eligable.  

I have only seen Thornton play guard.  i have seen Harrison play guard besides center.  I went to the Cleveland game and Harrison played RG almost all game and I thought he did very well.  I remember commenting to my friends that I thought guard might be his best position.  I can see Blythe going to the PS but we will see.

If the competition is even close I am cutting both Harrison and Reitz. Reitz is basically serviceable, has hit his ceiling and last year was the only time he stayed healthy.  Not worth the roster spot or money IMO unless the competition isn't close.

2 hours ago, Shepman said:

If the competition is even close I am cutting both Harrison and Reitz. Reitz is basically serviceable, has hit his ceiling and last year was the only time he stayed healthy.  Not worth the roster spot or money IMO unless the competition isn't close.

Reitz rated out as a top 15 RT by PFF last year. I'm not one that thinks PFF is a be all end all.  He can also play 4 positions along the OL.

I don't think any Colt OLineman should feel too comfortable about their job security right about now. It is going to take a minute to get any rookie ready to go week 1. Kelly is the only one I have penciled in as starter as of today. 

Everyone is so quick to cut these OLineman lets keep in mind we need 9 players on the 53 man. Mewhort Kelly Castanzo Good Clark Haeg are 6 we can all probably agree make the 53 man this season.

We still have 3 spots open. The players who I think are mostilrely to fill those 3 spots: Thorton  Harrison Reitz and Blythe. Unless someone thinks a guy like Kitt O'Brien, Van Dyk or another UDFA is going to take a roster spot 3 of those 4 guys are making the 53 man. 

Of the 4 who can do the most things?  Easy Reitz he experience at all 4 spots. Who has the most raw talent?  For me easy again Thorton. I think he starts at RG week 1. 

That leaves Blythe and Harrison battling for one spot. That's if we only keep 9 which is what I think we do. One Harrison is 6'4 308lbs with NFL experience and Blythe is 6'3 291 no experience but practice squad eligable. Again for me this is pretty simple Harrison to the 53 man. Blythe to the PS to add 5-10 pounds and get stronger.  He was picked 5 spots before the end of the draftt I think he's safe on the PS. 

I think Harrison Reitz and Thorton's long term future witn the team is questionable. This year barring injury or some boneheaded stunt they make the 53 man. 

The possibilty a someone comes out of no where to make things interesting is always there. I don't see it. Il think picking the 9 on the 53 man is pretty easy. The 5 starters not so much. I will say I expect Thorton to play well with a better C on his left. His right side is still a ? mark but it should be Reitz at worst. The guys been in the middle of a $hit show since he got here.

On May 12, 2016 at 8:08 AM, MarquisJ said:

Joe Haeg                    Joe Reitz        Austin Blythe                        Denzelle Good

There....     I removed Harrison.       Now you have nine.

That wasn't hard.......

To me its pretty simple. Harrison was one of the worst offensive linemen in the NFL. Blythe cant be any worse than him. But its gonna come down to those 2, and I think its gonna be Harrison getting cut.

Reitz, Clark, Haeg, Blythe

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

To me its pretty simple. Harrison was one of the worst offensive linemen in the NFL. Blythe cant be any worse than him. But its gonna come down to those 2, and I think its gonna be Harrison getting cut.

I can see this as the starting O-line. but Mewhort better get quicker feet if he wants to continue as a starter if we change to ZBS.

Kevin Bowen of Colts.com does a biweekly mailbag column each week.  Todays mailbag had a question about who he thought would be the starting OL.  He thought the starters on the right side would be the incumbents Thornton and Reitz.  But he did say he was expecting "immense pressure" from Good and that he could be a starter week 1.  I thought it was a telling comment from a Colt writer.  

On 5/12/2016 at 11:57 AM, Boiler_Colt said:

I think just one of Harrison/Thornton goes and we keep all the rooks. Thornton probably has the least amount of position flexibility of them all. 

But has the most upside of the guys that was drafted high 

16 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

And it would be better to keep the rookie since he gonna cost peanuts and you will have him under control for 2 to 3 yrs, and we all know every dollar is gonna be important soon with lucks contract coming