Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report on Colts draft strategy?

Lawrence Owen

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/4/27/11514964/reported-colts-draft-strategy-would-mean-a-lot-of-wrong-mock-drafts-center-edge-rusher

Interesting tidbits in this report.  Including saying that the Colts are looking for Interior O-lineman first, pass rusher second.  And that Pagano & Grigson is really in 'Love' with Ryan Kelly.

Frankly, If they got Kelly in the first round (albeit trading back a few spots first and adding another 3rd round pick) I wouldn't mind at all.  But how many GOOD pass rushers are there in the 2nd?.......

I think it should be the other way around cause like you said not that much talent in the second maybe Correa but I dont think he will be there for our second pick.

I hope Grigson trades back if he wants Kelly. We can get a good guard like Westerman in the second and a pass rusher in the 1st and another pass rusher with a later pick.

I didn't read it as they were looking for Interior O first and pass rusher second, it kept saying over and over again that they would like to address those positions with the first and second pick....but in no particular order.

It also stated several times that this would go against all the mock drafts from the "experts" (quotes added by me) that have us taking a OT instead of interior line help.

While I (and probably many others) would agree that those two positions are our most glaring holes, it goes to show that Grigs realizes that too and goes with something that will fill one of those two holes with the first pick instead of just using the BPA overall philosophy, and goes with the BPA by position of NEED.

3 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/4/27/11514964/reported-colts-draft-strategy-would-mean-a-lot-of-wrong-mock-drafts-center-edge-rusher

Interesting tidbits in this report.  Including saying that the Colts are looking for Interior O-lineman first, pass rusher second.  And that Pagano & Grigson is really in 'Love' with Ryan Kelly.

Frankly, If they got Kelly in the first round (albeit trading back a few spots first and adding another 3rd round pick) I wouldn't mind at all.  But how many GOOD pass rushers are there in the 2nd?.......

The article literally never says that.  Here are the relevant excerpts:

"Sources on the coaching staff tell me they're not set on taking an offensive tackle at any point in this draft and instead expect to go center and edge-rusher in some order with the first two picks."

It's also no secret that the Colts' top two needs are their interior offensive line and their pass rush, so the fact that sources with the coaching staff have told Miller that center and edge rusher are expected to be the top two picks isn't a surprise

Furthermore, what Miller is reporting is what would be ideal for the Colts - to grab a center and a pass rusher in the first two rounds. 

So the expectation of taking a center and edge rusher in the first two rounds doesn't contradict with the best player available approach but instead just shows us an inside look into the Colts' hopes as they approach the draft.

If there is a center and an edge rusher that they like well enough to take in the first and second rounds, the hope would be that both would be good enough to be contributors in 2016 and beyond and that would be a huge boost to the team. 

5 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Not many.      And it doesn't get much better in R's 3, 4, or 5.

Everyone is looking for pass rush help.     There aren't enough talented players.

Too much demand,  not nearly enough supply.      That's the nightmare for everyone this year.

So by my logic, I think they will take Kelly at #18 to ensure they get both a C and an EDGE with the first two picks.  There are more pass rushers in the draft and worthy of second round grade than there are Centers. 

The only C with a second round grade is Martin, so there is a potential to miss out on a C if you don't take Kelly at #18.

Edge players like Lawson, Spence, Correa, Calhoun, possibly Ngakoue could all have second round grades.  At least one of them should be there at #48.

This year more than any there is pressure on Grigson to take interior lineman not from the fans or the media its directly from Irsay so I think he feels that so I'm shocked if he doesn't take a player in the top two rounds the fact that Irsay specifically mentioned the center position makes me think center will be the priority and against what Grigsons typical patterns I think the center he takes is gonna be a pretty safe pick which leads me to believe Kelly hype is prolly pretty accurate 

There are two strong OG's, Glasgow & Seumalo, with extensive experience at C who will probably be available in the 3rd & 4th round.  Draft OT & OG in the first two rounds, fix the offense now.  With protection, our O can average 30 points/game, which makes you a contender in every game.

With strong a strong defensive draft, we'll still pick up some quality talent in 3 or 4, 5 & 7    

I'm thinking of the pass rushers in this draft and have a hard time seeing the Colts getting an edge rusher in round 1. This draft seems pretty weak in that area.

Bosa, Myles, and Floyd are likely gone well before 18.

Jaylon Smith? Hard to say where he goes with his injury but I don't think the Colts take him at 18.

Noah Spence? I know he gets a lot of talk but I have a hard time seeing the Colts take a chance on him in round 1. Since when have the Colts (even before Grigson) ever rolled the dice on guys with character concerns high in the draft?

Kevin Dodd seems to be the best pass rushing prospect (without concerns off the field) with a chance to be available at 18 but he seems more of a 4-3 end and not sure he is a good fit for the Colts defense.

Shaq Lawson is known as stopping the run and not so much rushing the passer.

Guys like Correa and Calhoun seem like round 2 or 3 prospects.

People can say how the Colts should get an edge rusher in round 1 but it's not looking walking into Target and grabbing what you need off the shelf. I'm sure the Colts find a way to come out of this draft with a young pass rusher but it might not be someone after round 2.

41 minutes ago, evilleseniorfan said:

There are two strong OG's, Glasgow & Seumalo, with extensive experience at C who will probably be available in the 3rd & 4th round.  Draft OT & OG in the first two rounds, fix the offense now.  With protection, our O can average 30 points/game, which makes you a contender in every game.

With strong a strong defensive draft, we'll still pick up some quality talent in 3 or 4, 5 & 7    

Don't forget Whitehair.  He is the top rated guard and has played center as well.  He played center in the senior bowl and scouts think his best positions are guard or center in the pros.  He made all the line calls as a guard in his senior year.  That is usually the job of the center. 

1 hour ago, Zach Boyd said:

This year more than any there is pressure on Grigson to take interior lineman not from the fans or the media its directly from Irsay so I think he feels that so I'm shocked if he doesn't take a player in the top two rounds the fact that Irsay specifically mentioned the center position makes me think center will be the priority and against what Grigsons typical patterns I think the center he takes is gonna be a pretty safe pick which leads me to believe Kelly hype is prolly pretty accurate 

I think that's a sound way to look at it.  This isn't a typical BPA situation. Overdrafting a player is not really a bad thing if that player becomes a solid OL starter for 8 years.

Edge pass rusher is a high reward high risk position.  A lot of the college guys just don't make it in the NFL, for what ever reason.

And I go back to the fact that we still have Cole and Mathis on the roster.  The salary cap can justify drafting an edge player at #48, figuring he will need some time to work himself into the lineup.

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Don't forget Whitehair.  He is the top rated guard and has played center as well.  He played center in the senior bowl and scouts think his best positions are guard or center in the pros.  He made all the line calls as a guard in his senior year.  That is usually the job of the center. 

I don't believe Whitehair played guard his senior year.     He played left tackle.    Not saying he didn't make the calls,   only that he didn't play guard.

8 hours ago, Derakynn said:

I really doubt the Colts are going in deciding specifically to draft a certain position. That's just stupid. 

No, but I think teams definetly target players.  Doesn't mean it will work out, but they do it.

9 hours ago, Jason_S said:

The article literally never says that.  Here are the relevant excerpts:

Actually, if you read between the lines. it says: 

" For the Colts, he mentioned that the Colts' "love for Alabama's [Ryan] Kelly is real," 

" the fact that sources with the coaching staff have told Miller that center and edge rusher are expected to be the top two picks isn't a surprise. "

"Sources on the coaching staff tell me they're not set on taking an offensive tackle at any point in this draft and instead expect to go center and edge-rusher in some order with the first two picks. "

For them to get Ryan Kelly, it would have to be 1st round, the majority of analyst's have him going first round now.  and for the above to be true, they'd have to go center 1st round, pass rusher 2nd.

3 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Actually, if you read between the lines. it says: 

" For the Colts, he mentioned that the Colts' "love for Alabama's [Ryan] Kelly is real," 

" the fact that sources with the coaching staff have told Miller that center and edge rusher are expected to be the top two picks isn't a surprise. "

"Sources on the coaching staff tell me they're not set on taking an offensive tackle at any point in this draft and instead expect to go center and edge-rusher in some order with the first two picks. "

For them to get Ryan Kelly, it would have to be 1st round, the majority of analyst's have him going first round now.  and for the above to be true, they'd have to go center 1st round, pass rusher 2nd.

They've worked out a number of centers, not just kelly. 

Just some tidbits and rumors that I saw on a site regarding the Colts

4/26: Colts GM Ryan Grigson said that he won't be drafting players with character issues. - 

4/23: "If Leonard Floyd is unavailable, and they feel Noah Spence is to much of a risk, I'm hearing the Indianapolis Colts are considering Kamalei Correa in Round 1." - Tony Pauline, WalterFootball.com 

4/22: "I was told Jack Conklin wouldn't get past the Colts at 18 since January. Looks like little chance he gets there now." - Eric Galko, Optimum Scouting 

4/12: "“It’s a big offseason for the Indianapolis Colts, and I’m told from a team source that they like Baylor nose tackle Andrew Billings a lot in Round 1." - Matt Miller, Source Copier 

4/7: The Chargers and Colts are very high on Notre Dame CB KeiVarae Russell. - Todd Lyght, MMQB 

4/1: Boise State CB Donte Deayon is drawing interest from the Colts and Browns. - Tony Pauline, WalterFootball.com 

3/24: The Colts are very high on Marshaun Coprich's skill set. - Tony Pauline, WalterFootball.com 

2/6: The Colts plan on upgrading the nose tackle position this offseason. - Kevin Bowen, Colts.com 

Well we have finally made it.
Good luck to our draft team, may good options come available.

Just a few of the newbies i have become a fan of already, and would like to see them as Colts.
 William Jackson

Jarron Reed
Kevin Dodd
Josh Garnett
C Westerman
Kenyan Drake
Evan Boehm
Daniel Lasco
Beau Sandland
  Lots of good players in this draft to look forward to watching. Go Colts!