Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

US Appeals Court Reinstates Brady's Suspension

IndyD4U

4 hours ago, Kato said:
12 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Its the correct ruling.......and the only appeal is to the Supreme Court...

The footballs didn't deflate themselves..and Brady's phone didn't destroy itself ...

.......Its time for Tom to call Roger Goddell.....and offer to sit 1 or 2 games for blowing up the phone.

They cut a deal and its over....

It's already over. The NFL won. No deal is to be made when you are in the position the NFL is finally in after Brady forced their hand in court for over a year.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What if the Pats go 4-0 and Jimmy is throwing for 400yds and 4 tds each game? Does Bill replace Tom like he did Drew if they keep winning??? No...but the story lines would be interesting. Honestly I think they have a very good shot to win all 4 games. They are just that well coached. They don't make bad mistakes and rarely turn the ball over. Thus they will keep those games close and while Tom usually drives them to victory we could see Jimmy step into his own this season. If he plays well we could see teams dangle 1st rd picks for him next offseason. Bill could gift the Browns a qb next year and finally turn around that franchise....proving he is the greatest of all time.

I think everybody already knows that the reason Boston is so successful is because they know when to cut a man lose. No love lost over championships gained, this is for all sports and I commend them for the ability to do this. Seymour, Wilfork, Pierce, Manny, Pedro, Moss, Lucic, Garnett, Youkilis, Mankins, Nomar, Thomas, this list goes on and on. Brady will be no different.

18 minutes ago, bababooey said:

4 posts, smells like a bitter Pats fan.

Patriots fans are just reaching because they love their Tommy. Peyton was never accused of doing HGH with the Colts and still threw for 49 TD's in 1 season and won a SB and went 2 SB's. Having said that Peyton's legacy is fine. What's next from that fanbase, he stuck his butt in someone's face for 2 seconds haha Patriots fans would probably say that is rape lmao 

Did they ever mention what Brady's defense was that the Appeals Court said, "Makes no sense whatsoever," or no? Maybe we'll never know the full details of what went on in that room.

I believe Brady said something along the lines of he buys a new phone a lot, but even so, why destroy his old one/s, especially when he knows the NFL had wanted to see it?

5 hours ago, bababooey said:

It's already over. The NFL won. No deal is to be made when you are in the position the NFL is finally in after Brady forced their hand in court for over a year.

I'm certain there will be a deal. Goddell has nothing against Brady. he just wanted to prove the point for the league.

Brady must admit he's wrong.  Its not about the 4 games.

Brady must admit he was wrong about some aspect of this case.

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm certain there will be a deal. Goddell has nothing against Brady. he just wanted to prove the point for the league.

Brady must admit he's wrong.  Its not about the 4 games.

Brady must admit he was wrong about some aspect of this case.

Admitting wrong in destroying the phone isn't enough and Goodell answers to 31 other owners. No chance a deal gets made after this victory but I'll feel free to eat crow in the off chance there is. After all, it is Goodell.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Does Bill replace Tom like he did Drew if they keep winning???

That would be a funny soap opera wouldn't it dgb? Call it "As the Clam Chowder Thickens" Or should I say Clam Chow daaar thickens...Just joking! 

Maybe Jimmy G. conspired with the commissioner to swoop in & steal the NFL uggs out from under Brady baby since he never got to start last season...Okay, okay I'll stop. 

11 hours ago, Gramz said:

It's insane that it has drug out this long, and now maybe even longer...???  

Part of me does wonder if once Deflate Gate is finally closed, people will view the case's end like "Where were you when the Berlin Wall fell?" Like man, this was a long time coming & we never thought this day would come but it finally did the dragon, the scandal, or the please put us out of our collective misery has arrived or been slain. 

It's a miracle! Yeah, I know. Don't oversell it. LOL! 

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

They are just that well coached.

This. This is why they could go 4-0. I'll admit this much no matter how much I hate the Patriots. Not only could they go 4-0, but they could go alot more-0 regardless of whose playing because Bill Belichik is the dang coach. And they could do it while forums are crashing, sportswiters and sounding off and while homers are having strokes over it happening without Tom Brady. Bill will have his player's ears deaf to all of that stuff if they go 4-0.

24 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

This. This is why they could go 4-0. I'll admit this much no matter how much I hate the Patriots. Not only could they go 4-0, but they could go alot more-0 regardless of whose playing because Bill Belichik is the dang coach. And they could do it while forums are crashing, sportswiters and sounding off and while homers are having strokes over it happening without Tom Brady. Bill will have his player's ears deaf to all of that stuff if they go 4-0.

Yep. The only team i believe the 72 dolphins fear year in and year out. Typically that talented and that we'll run and coached.

On 4/26/2016 at 5:31 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

I can see Brady's team and NFLPA appealing to the full panel of the 2nd circuit, and getting another stay while on appeal. And maybe even the Supreme court after that (if they lose once more). Thus not serving a suspension in 2016...

I've said all along that I don't think Brady winds up serving a single game.

On April 25, 2016 at 4:36 PM, dgambill said:

Yeah I don't think Tom even gets a suspension...just a fine. All he had to say is that he told the ball boys he liked his footballs at the lowest end of the legal limits under the rules. He never had to admit he knew HOW they were doing this just that he wanted it deflated to the lowest amount allowable. Doing so would have shown yes he was asking them to get the balls the way he wanted but he could have had deniability to what measures they were going to in doing so. I very much doubt he knew they were doing this after the refs had inspected them. He probably didn't care about how it got done just that it was to his liking...just like most qbs have the balls to their liking. If he came out and said that only us Colts fans would have cried about it (as most seem to believe he is the devil lol) and the NFL wouldn't have gone through all this. Likely the truth is no where near as bad as the cover up. To me it isn't what happened as the lie and the obstruction. If everyone including the guys that did it would have come clean and just said it this would have been much smaller a deal. People jump to crazy conspiracies when you leave so much to conjecture by not cooperating and destroying evidence etc. This should have been a fine....and yet it became much worse...and trying to prove it the NFL looked terrible too. Fact remains though that the Commissioner has the right to discipline under the CBA and that is what is being upheld....nothing related to Brady or the Pats...this could have been about anybody else suing over a suspension. I think it was the right ruling even if I find fault in how the NFL handled this whole thing. Hopefully this is over...and hopefully Roger and Tom come to a settlement that gets Tom on the field sooner....he is a great player and some air in a football didn't change anything about his legacy or performance on the field....maybe about his character but I can't speak to that because I don't know him personally. NFL is better with Tom Brady playing...nobody wants to see GS without Steph...its a better product with him on the field and hopefully both sides realize that and settle this thing.

That's terrible reasoning. The act is just as bad as the cover up. He tarnished the reputation of the entire league by doing what he did. And if he doesn't serve the full suspension it'll look even worse on the league. A-Rod got a year for PEDs. You mean to tell me Brady can't get 4 games for cheating? And lying about it? He's getting off easy IMO.

And saying that the product is better with him on the field is terrible logic. "Yeah he cheated but he makes games more exciting so don't suspend him ". He and BB deserve to be deemed ineligible for the HoF.

The case wasn't about Brady's guilt or innocense, not one iota. Nor really about 'fairness'. Kessler and the NFLPA got hyper technical trying to strip the NFL/Goodell of powers ceded in the 2011 CBA. But there's that Article 46, one I pointed out so long ago and many poo poo'ed.  Now it seems near the end of a long road, that it all comes back to that. Trying to use the 2nd circuit to rewrite portions of the CBA didn't sit well either. Some choice words out the the 2nd Circuit ruling-

“There is simply no fundamental unfairness in affording the parties precisely what they agreed on.”

“If it is seriously believed that these procedures were deficient or prejudicial, the remedy was to address them during collective bargaining.”

“Arbitration is a matter of contract, and consequently the parties to an arbitration can ask for no more impartiality than inheres in the method they have chosen.”

In other words, the agreed upn CBA is written in such a fashion that when it comes to Goodell’s powers, it effectively ties the hands of judges and prevents them from intervening, possibly even if they wanted to.

Even if the 8th circuit rules against the NFL, I see the SCOTUS taking the case and backing the deference allowed to the Commissioner via article 46.

They don't typically decide innocense/guilty etc, in arbitration cases, but essentially if any of these below were violated, according to the rules agreed upon (Article 46 CBA).

1. The Award Procured by Fraud, Corruption, or Other Undue Means

2. Evident Partiality, Corruption, or Prejudicial Misconduct by an Arbitrator

3. The Abuse of Arbitrator’s Discretion in Conducting the Hearing

It seems that Kessler was more interested in rewriting the CBA instead of showing violation of any of the above prompting the court to address that by stating a remedy to an unsatisfied party "is not judicial intervention, but for the parties to draft their agreement to reflect the scope of power they would like their arbitrator to exercise."

So while Brady got off on a technicality for a spell, so has the NFL. These cases (and rulings) long ago left guilt or innocense  of Tom Brady behind.

No plans to settle from the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/27/report-nfl-wont-talk-settlement-with-nflpa-tom-brady/

like I stated earlier, the NFL finally won after Brady tried to drag this out and take them to court and try to embarrass them. Supreme Court isn't hearing this as it doesn't affect thousands of people and they'd have to find error in the second circuit courts ruling, which based on the wording is pretty ironclad to not be found as to be ruled in error. Getting a stay would be dumb on his part in case the second circuit rules against him at the start of the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That's terrible reasoning. The act is just as bad as the cover up. He tarnished the reputation of the entire league by doing what he did. And if he doesn't serve the full suspension it'll look even worse on the league. A-Rod got a year for PEDs. You mean to tell me Brady can't get 4 games for cheating? And lying about it? He's getting off easy IMO.

And saying that the product is better with him on the field is terrible logic. "Yeah he cheated but he makes games more exciting so don't suspend him ". He and BB deserve to be deemed ineligible for the HoF.

No the act isn't. People have messed with the balls before and gotten a simple fine. It was because they were non-cooperative and tried to stonewall the investigation on top of the act that got him the suspension and the Pats the draft pick and fine. This was such small potatoes it isn't funny. $25,000 and a warning was all they should have got. The NFL already lets EVERY team doctor the balls...just not after they've been checked...but when teams have done this before (heating them up with heaters etc) they've only been fined. I'd say sticking the game balls directly in front of a giant heater to make them easier to handle in the cold and/or kick and go farther is a much bigger deal than having them a few ounces under pressure. I'm not a Pats fan...far from and if Tom would just accept the findings and they settle on a game or something (because I do think he deserves suspension for his obstruction of the evidence etc) then we can move on to football again and the game has its integrity back. This whole thing was totally overblown...and both sides look terrible but the outrage to me is laughable. Sorry I'm just not that bothered by Tom having the balls at his liking...because every qb does this...they just stop right before the game.

To suggest they should be banned from the HOF or stupid stuff like that means its hard for me to take any merits from your posts because you blow them up with crazy fandom talk like that. Should we ban Jerry Rice from the HOF for using stickem?? Don't get me wrong when something is done incorrectly you take acton to fix it and clean it up but banning from the HOF is like so far over the top I don't think we can have a rational discussion over it. All I'm saying is that 4 games is WAY WAY to much if he will come out and accept Goodell's ruling....if not its acceptable for lying and covering up...but for the crime itself...I'd be happy with a simple fine. So in the end if they were to settle it to a game or something than that's more than enough...and we get back to the field and the game I love to watch...because its entertainment...this isn't life changing important stuff here. Its just a game....let's put it in perspective...and we don't need to make the NFL out to be something bigger and more important to our culture and life than it is....it's no different than say my wife's reality tv. It's non-scripted entertainment for us men and a few women on Sundays....so the story line is better and the quality is better with Tom on the field. He wasn't out there intentionally hurting people or others in the community. He wanted to get a better grip on the ball. Fine him and move on if he admits it because I don't want to watch Jimmy G.

It's insane for anyone to think this will go to the Supreme Court. :nutz:haha

I also don't think there will be any "settlement talks"   as was reported ~~  those talks have come and gone.

It is what it is.....  time to move on.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yes. 

I felt that way too...but then when I consider how they reworked his contract...I'm kinda thinking he is preparing himself to sit out....so now I'm leaning more that way. This is looking pretty bleak for him and I would think he would rather get it over early rather than later during a playoff push.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I felt that way too...but then when I consider how they reworked his contract...I'm kinda thinking he is preparing himself to sit out....so now I'm leaning more that way. This is looking pretty bleak for him and I would think he would rather get it over early rather than later during a playoff push.

^^^ THIS

16 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

I just wish he would take his punishment like the great man he is supposed to be, rather than the little child he actually is. 

I have no problem with someone taking advantage of whatever legal remedies might be available to them. In this case, I think it's important for a strong precedent to be set. This issue of commissioner authority is challenged at every turn by the NFLPA, and hopefully this case establishes what the commissioner can and cannot do. Brady should take it as far as he can, and so should the league. JMO

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That might be true. I think he should appeal to the full court and see what happens. 

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah he cheated but he makes games more exciting so don't suspend him "

Very well put D-26. Discipline is supposed to apply equally to all NFL players not just special rules for special players. I couldn't agree more. 

Brady & his legal team are starting to irritate me now. Grow up already. For crying out loud, it's a 4 game suspension not 30 yrs in federal prison. Perspective matters here. 

36 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

I just wish he would take his punishment like the great man he is supposed to be, rather than the little child he actually is. 

Your post make me laugh BHC. Not from a character assassination perspective of a soon to be HOF QB, but rather a man who refuses to accept any responsibility for impeding or obstructing an active NFL investigation. I will leave what Brady should have known & claimed ignorance of off the table for now. My only issue is that Brady signed the CBA & he thereby agreed to the rules of discipline contained inside the document itself. 

To your point though, I will remember this the most. A guy named Brady who can't accept responsibility for his role in any of this situation at all. I'd have respect for Tom if he said, "I disagree with the decision but for the benefit of the sport I love; I will accept my punishment now with no admission of guilt." 

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

I also don't think there will be any "settlement talks"   as was reported ~~  those talks have come and gone.

53 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

I have no problem with someone taking advantage of whatever legal remedies might be available to them. In this case, I think it's important for a strong precedent to be set. This issue of commissioner authority is challenged at every turn by the NFLPA, and hopefully this case establishes what the commissioner can and cannot do. Brady should take it as far as he can, and so should the league. JMO

18 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Very well put D-26. Discipline is supposed to apply equally to all NFL players not just special rules for special players. I couldn't agree more. 

Brady & his legal team are starting to irritate me now. Grow up already. For crying out loud, it's a 4 game suspension not 30 yrs in federal prison. Perspective matters here. 

Tom Brady-NFL settlement unlikely, QB could be stuck with suspension

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

April 27, 2016 4:16 pm ET

Excerpt

One option Brady won't have moving forward is a possible settlement with the NFL that would've reduced his suspension.

NFLPA spokesman George Atallah mentioned the possibility of a settlement between Brady and the NFL during an interview on Tuesday, but it doesn't look like that's going to be an option.

According to ESPN.com, the NFL "doesn't see any need to reopen any settlement talks" with Brady or the NFLPA. The NFL had brief settlement discussions with Brady last summer, but will not give him a settlement option this time around.

Several NFL owners reportedly want to see Brady's suspension reduced, and Atallah had hoped that a high-powered owner could spearhead a negotiation between the NFL and Brady.

( my note , in an earlier article today on this the same subject it was suggested  the 1 owner they really need to spearhead & lead this would be Kraft & for obvious reasons he cant )

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25568865/tom-brady-settlement-unlikely-qb-could-be-stuck-with-suspension

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

AGREE but for laughs sake , if it did right now we are down one supreme court justice, imagine if it ended with a tie

19 hours ago, Superman said:
19 hours ago, Superman said:

I've said all along that I don't think Brady winds up serving a single game.

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

You still think so?

I agree with him.  I think the NFLPA/Brady will likely appeal en banc to the 2nd Circuit and petition for a stay.  Then they may even petition the Supreme court to hear the case as necessary. They potential to drag this out for a longer period is there, and real.

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

I agree with him.  I think the NFLPA/Brady will likely appeal en banc to the 2nd Circuit and petition for a stay.  Then they may even petition the Supreme court to hear the case as necessary. They potential to drag this out for a longer period is there, and real.

This is what I find ridiculous by Brady's representation. You don't get to move the goal posts simply because the verdict wasn't what you wanted. Both sides, the owners & the players association, has appealed once already. Enough is enough. 

The longer this circus continues, the more foolish it looks for Brady. It's a brief benching that's it. No ones taking away rings here & this latest verdict confirmed that the Commissioner has the authority to discipline player misconduct according to the CBA. What leg does Tommy have to stand on? The length of the punishment itself? If a guy keeps acting like the rules don't apply to him simply because of his last name or achievements, that's a huge problem & the league cannot allow that preferential treatment. Nail his caboose to the wall.

I was open to a reduction of 2 games, but with Brady's persistence in fighting this discipline. Screw it. The gloves come off. Warm that bench for 4 games Tommy. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Yes....but other players have never been suspended for something like this (if he even did it). Teams have only had a small fine for tampering with the footballs during a game. One could say a 4 game suspension for a finable offense is like a 30yr prison sentence because its just as much overkill.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes....but other players have never been suspended for something like this (if he even did it). Teams have only had a small fine for tampering with the footballs during a game. One could say a 4 game suspension for a finable offense is like a 30yr prison sentence because its just as much overkill.

That's absurd. Like I said above is Brady being stripped of his rings? No. Is he being banned from planning in the NFL for 1 yr. 5yrs. or the rest of his life as a professional athlete? No. 

He's being punished for not disclosing or fully participating with an active investigation & the league's investigators. It's not overkill at all. Nice try. Doesn't fly. 

Brady doesn't get to act like Deflate Gate was an out of body experience that he was totally immune from any personal responsibility for. He's not an innocent bystander here & anytime you tick off investigators or increase their paperwork thru noncompliance penalties usually increase or double in scope. 

27 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

This is what I find ridiculous by Brady's representation. You don't get to move the goal posts simply becauwayk of it this se the verdict wasn't what you wanted. Both sides, the owners & the players association, has appealed once already. Enough is enough. 

The longer this circus continues, the more foolish it looks for Brady. It's a brief benching that's it. No ones taking away rings here & this latest verdict confirmed that the Commissioner has the authority to discipline player misconduct according to the CBA. What leg does Tommy have to stand on? The length of the punishment itself? If a guy keeps acting like the rules don't apply to him simply because of his last name or achievements, that's a huge problem & the league cannot allow that preferential treatment. Nail his caboose to the wall.

I was open to a reduction of 2 games, but with Brady's persistence in fighting this discipline. Screw it. The gloves come off. Warm that bench for 4 games Tommy. 

I understand the feelings many here have. And we are long sick of the 'process'.  But our judicial system does allow for many avenues to be sure justice is served.  So this way... the NFLPA beleives it is 2 - 2 in judges opinions.  District court Judge Berman and Chief Circuit Judge Katzmann agree in NFLPA/Brady's favor, Circuit court Judges Chin and Parker Jr. side with the NFL management council.  Why not appeal en banc (full circuit judge panel) and get a larger panel and consensus?  I understand that is tough to get, all 22 (I think?) to hear that case.  I heard they do about one per year.

Brady's other chance is Adrian Petersonruling.  Since the 8Th circuit has yet to rule on that case, they could decide in favor of the NFLPA against the NFL appeal.  This would create a 'circuit split'.  Likely 90% of the SCOTUS case docket is circuit splits in order to reaffirm uniformity in Federal law.

The road for Brady looks like gravel/rock... but there is still a road.  Will they travel it?

49 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If you think the Supreme Court will listen to this case and find that the second circuit court ruled in error then I got a bridge to sell you. I think if anyone but superman thinks he won't serve a game and you wouldn't agree. I personally hope he pursues and gets a stay and they make a decision in January.

12 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

That's absurd. Like I said above is Brady being stripped of his rings? No. Is he being banned from planning in the NFL for 1 yr. 5yrs. or the rest of his life as a professional athlete? No. 

He's being punished for not disclosing or fully participating with an active investigation & the league's investigators. It's not overkill at all. Nice try. Doesn't fly. 

Brady doesn't get to act like Deflate Gate was an out of body experience that he was totally immune from any personal responsibility for. He's not an innocent bystander here & anytime you tick off investigators or increase their paperwork thru noncompliance penalties usually increase or double in scope. 

I do understand the punishment is for obstructing the investigation and not cooperating...but the original sin here...to me that's worthy of a fine....and others here think he should be kicked out of the NFL....I'm just not understanding that mentality is all. I can understand as well that Tom wouldn't want to hand over his personal phone...its personal...it isn't a work phone....that said to stonewall the investigation etc...yeah I get the suspension....but to be a the point we are now...lets get back to football because this circus side show makes both sides look awful because the NFL botched things so badly they look horrible too. That's why I was like just settle it and be done. To think this all started over a few ounces of psi...its hard to believe we take sports this serious in America and we think its worthy of tying up the Supreme Court etc.

6 minutes ago, bababooey said:

If you think the Supreme Court will listen to this case and find that the second circuit court ruled in error then I got a bridge to sell you. I think if anyone but superman thinks he won't serve a game and you wouldn't agree. I personally hope he pursues and gets a stay and they make a decision in January.

Let me ask you this... what if the 8th circuit appelate court rules against the NFL's appeal in the Adrian Peterson case?  Do we not have 2 different Federal Circuit courts divided in interpretation/application of Federal Law?  What is the job of the Supreme Court of the U.S.A. if not to resolve such discrepancies of this nature?

Therefore, the potential for this case to be heard by the SCOTUS is still a possibility.

I rest my case...

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I understand the feelings many here have. And we are long sick of the 'process'.  But our judicial system does allow for many avenues to be sure justice is served.  So this way... the NFLPA beleives it is 2 - 2 in judges opinions.  District court Judge Berman and Chief Circuit Judge Katzmann agree in NFLPA/Brady's favor, Circuit court Judges Chin and Parker Jr. side with the NFL management council.  Why not appeal en banc (full circuit judge panel) and get a larger panel and consensus?  I understand that is tough to get, all 22 (I think?) to hear that case.  I heard they do about one per year.

Brady's other chance is Adrian Petersonruling.  Since the 8Th circuit has yet to rule on that case, they could decide in favor of the NFLPA against the NFL appeal.  This would create a 'circuit split'.  Likely 90% of the SCOTUS case docket is circuit splits in order to reaffirm uniformity in Federal law.

The road for Brady looks like gravel/rock... but there is still a road.  Will they travel it?

Nice post CBFL. I wasn't angry with you personally my friend. Yes, Jeffrey Kessler & co. have every right to pursue whatever legal remedies they wish on behalf of their client that is true. I just hope other courts defer to the CBA in this matter. Thereby ending any further motions in this case. 

Also, most dissenting opinions aren't given any legal validity establishing new precedent so it really doesn't matter what Judge Katzmann thinks in this case. He's entitled to his opinion sure, but does his argument create new law or strengthen Brady's case for a complete dismal of the original suspension? No, not in a courtroom of law it doesn't.