Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

US Appeals Court Reinstates Brady's Suspension

IndyD4U

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So since Tom has been found guilty and the team he cheated against was us, are we awarded the AFC Title? Will the league take away the Patriots SB Title? I know the answer to both is NO but I thought I would Post this for fun.

No and I prefer it that way.  

Only the NCAA is dumb enough to think that taking away championships and taking away wins suffices as a punishment.  The wins are about the momentary happiness for fans in that particular moment.  It does nothing several years after the fact to try and deny that this specific team won.  And it does nothing to hand it to another team.  (Incidently the NCAA doesn't even hand the wins to the opposing teams, they instead pretend like those games never happened.)

Furthermore while there are a lot of games in which perhaps this might have made a difference (perhaps the game against the Ravens in the divisional round), it seems unlikely to me that the AFC championship game was one of those cases.  

I personally think 4 games is an awful light penalty for cheating via messing with the ball AND THEN covering up the evidence by destroying your phone.  Especially the second part. . . honestly that sort of action IMO deserves a full year suspension.  

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Only the NCAA is dumb enough to think that taking away championships and taking away wins suffices as a punishment.  The wins are about the momentary happiness for fans in that particular moment.  It does nothing several years after the fact to try and deny that this specific team won.  And it does nothing to hand it to another team.  (Incidently the NCAA doesn't even hand the wins to the opposing teams, they instead pretend like those games never happened.)

Furthermore while there are a lot of games in which perhaps this might have made a difference (perhaps the game against the Ravens in the divisional round), it seems unlikely to me that the AFC championship game was one of those cases.  

I personally think 4 games is an awful light penalty for cheating via messing with the ball AND THEN covering up the evidence by destroying your phone.  Especially the second part. . . honestly that sort of action IMO deserves a full year suspension.  

I think 4 games is a solid punishment + they did lose their 1st Round Draft pick this season as well. I am just glad justice was served because Tom hasn't been punished at all up until now. Those first 4 games are pretty tough. I honestly cant see them starting 0-4 but I could see 1-3.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think 4 games is a solid punishment + they did lose their 1st Round Draft pick this season as well. I am just glad justice was served because Tom hasn't been punished at all up until now. Those first 4 games are pretty tough. I honestly cant see them starting 0-4 but I could see 1-3.

Not only are those 4 decently tough games, but 3 are against conference opponents and 2 are against division opponents.  It could put a real dent in their season.  Jimmy G didn't really inspire much confidence last year.  0-4 is a real possibility

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They are going to go 4-0 again but you can't be the best ever if you've been suspended for cheating.

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Ask Joe Paternos family of taking away wins means anything or not

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Not only are those 4 decently tough games, but 3 are against conference opponents and 2 are against division opponents.  It could put a real dent in their season.  Jimmy G didn't really inspire much confidence last year.  0-4 is a real possibility

Yeah they have a tough schedule for a change, at least to start the season but the Texans are Good and the Cards are Very Good. Playing against the Bills is never a picnic either and the Dolphins always play them well for some reason.

14 minutes ago, bababooey said:

They are going to go 4-0 again but you can't be the best ever if you've been suspended for cheating.

I don't think they'll go 4-0,  but I  definitely agree with the second part of your post.

We have to talk about brady again?

Even when he is standing in doggy doo; he still comes out smelling like roses. The media will twist everything to make him the victim, just as they always do. 

Now we are going to have to hear about him for another 6 months. 

Great....................:hairout:

Cardinals, Dolphins, Texans, Bills  - I know little about the Dolphins but the Cards and Bills games could be wins and who knows how good the Texans offense will be but the defense will be there for certain. You have to know the Bills will do everything to win that game.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

It deserved a 5 year ban, all his uggs destroyed, and he had to go back to Bridgit....

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Does this mean the patriots fans will finally leave our board?

:rock:

I don't see any of them responding. Could it be they're finally gone!

If so then I will actually start posting the NFL General section again.

they will be back if they start winning again, probably not a moment sooner

39 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Does this mean the patriots fans will finally leave our board?

:rock:

I don't see any of them responding. Could it be they're finally gone!

If so then I will actually start posting the NFL General section again.

I think most have been banned for a long time now. Just a few of the good ones are left now.

By the way..this ruling wasn't that Brady cheated...it just stated precisely that the Commissioner was within his right to hand down a suspension due to the COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT. They made no determination upon the facts of the case but simply referred that the NFL was within its rights and if the NFLPA didn't agree with the commissioner having the power to hand down penalties but the appeals court found he was within the bounds of the CBA to hand down a punishment and it was the NFLPA fault for negotiating it that way.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think most have been banned for a long time now. Just a few of the good ones are left now.

By the way..this ruling wasn't that Brady cheated...it just stated precisely that the Commissioner was within his right to hand down a suspension due to the COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT. They made no determination upon the facts of the case but simply referred that the NFL was within its rights and if the NFLPA didn't agree with the commissioner having the power to hand down penalties but the appeals court found he was within the bounds of the CBA to hand down a punishment and it was the NFLPA fault for negotiating it that way.

Yeah... yeah.... yea.....

No!

You can call it whatever you want to. I am going to stick with calling him a cheater. :)

Only a naive Colts fan would seriously believe Brady will now serve the four game suspension. The appeal was mostly about affirming the Commissioner's authority. But watch him back away from the suspension. Perhaps Brady will be punished a bit but there is no chance it will be the original four game suspension. That was last year's news. At least the lost #1 draft pick remains in force.

10 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Only a naive Colts fan would seriously believe Brady will now serve the four game suspension. The appeal was mostly about affirming the Commissioner's authority. But watch him back away from the suspension. Perhaps Brady will be punished a bit but there is no chance it will be the original four game suspension. That was last year's news. At least the lost #1 draft pick remains in force.

No positive for the NFL to reduce the suspension they want there power after winning in court they would look weak if they reduced the suspension . 

15 minutes ago, azcolt said:

I think most outside of Indy fans believe this is the end. The Supreme Court won't hear it and the second circuit court won't re-hear it. I sent the link before, it's possible to get a stay and then what happens if it's ruled on mid-season or when playoffs start? Best to just take the punishment before you damage your legacy further.

22 minutes ago, azcolt said:

It's not just Colts fans that think this. A lot of people from other fanbases believe this now. Even a lot of Patriots fans think he will serve it from what I have been reading on other Sites. We will see but I think Tom is doomed on this one. I haven't heard on ESPN or the NFL Channel one positive thing in Tom's favor.

What's funny is, "more likely than not" if Tom would've never fought this in the first place and admitted he did something wrong, Goodell probably would've reduced his suspension to 1 or 2 games and he would've served that last season and this would've been over a long time ago. Taking the commissioner of Football to court isn't the smartest thing to do when you already look guilty to begin with. You are normally going to lose eventually if there is even any kind of evidence you may have done something wrong if you keep pressing your luck. I was really shocked Brady won the first appeal actually.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What's funny is, "more likely than not" if Tom would've never fought this in the first place and admitted he did something wrong, Goodell probably would've reduced his suspension to 1 or 2 games and he would've served that last season and this would've been over a long time ago. Taking the commissioner of Football to court isn't the smartest thing to do when you already look guilty to begin with. You are normally going to lose eventually if there is even any kind of evidence you may have done something wrong if you keep pressing your luck. I was really shocked Brady won the first appeal actually.

It was either show the phone and be guilty, or destroy the phone and try to get your way around it and as the one judge said today the destruction was worse. Not a disaster for the Pats at all, just his legacy.

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

It appears done.  The NFL has no reason to reduce or eliminate the suspension after going to court to defend it and then appealing the original decision.

The courts are unlikely to re-hear the case and I just can't see the SCOTUS taking this up.  

47 minutes ago, azcolt said:

It is possible that they settle and reduce the suspension to avoid having to go to the full Appeals court. No way this gets heard by the Supreme Court. They are short a justice and will have a HUGE backlog of cases that are WAY WAY WAY more important than this one. I could see Goodell cut it to two or one game to avoid any court cases....it would be in both parties interest to move on....neither look good in this case.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

It is possible that they settle and reduce the suspension to avoid having to go to the full Appeals court. No way this gets heard by the Supreme Court. They are short a justice and will have a HUGE backlog of cases that are WAY WAY WAY more important than this one. I could see Goodell cut it to two or one game to avoid any court cases....it would be in both parties interest to move on....neither look good in this case.

I think most Pats fan and I can even say this if I was a fan of Tom Brady I would've wanted him found not guilty as well. Because even if he gets 1 game, he still loses because he was found guilty now and would still be serving a suspension. I think the only reason why Tom fought this is because his legacy is important to him and I am sure he knows if found guilty of this and serving a suspension that a lot of people could then call him a proven cheater. Just opinion's but that is what I believe. I also think Tom thought he could win this because he is Tom Brady/one of the faces of the NFL with great lawyers.

Gives us a big break. I'm pretty sure we've only beaten Brady once since he's been in the league. I think Watt can rattle Jimmy if it comes to that. Those other divisional games will be tough as well. Rex Ryan is probably laughing like a cartoon villain in his office right now. 

2 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Gives us a big break. I'm pretty sure we've only beaten Brady once since he's been in the league. I think Watt can rattle Jimmy if it comes to that. Those other divisional games will be tough as well. Rex Ryan is probably laughing like a cartoon villain in his office right now. 

Without Brady I could see a win for you guys. It is in Foxboro though. I think they lose to the Cards definitely.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I don't think Tom even gets a suspension...just a fine. All he had to say is that he told the ball boys he liked his footballs at the lowest end of the legal limits under the rules. He never had to admit he knew HOW they were doing this just that he wanted it deflated to the lowest amount allowable. Doing so would have shown yes he was asking them to get the balls the way he wanted but he could have had deniability to what measures they were going to in doing so. I very much doubt he knew they were doing this after the refs had inspected them. He probably didn't care about how it got done just that it was to his liking...just like most qbs have the balls to their liking. If he came out and said that only us Colts fans would have cried about it (as most seem to believe he is the devil lol) and the NFL wouldn't have gone through all this. Likely the truth is no where near as bad as the cover up. To me it isn't what happened as the lie and the obstruction. If everyone including the guys that did it would have come clean and just said it this would have been much smaller a deal. People jump to crazy conspiracies when you leave so much to conjecture by not cooperating and destroying evidence etc. This should have been a fine....and yet it became much worse...and trying to prove it the NFL looked terrible too. Fact remains though that the Commissioner has the right to discipline under the CBA and that is what is being upheld....nothing related to Brady or the Pats...this could have been about anybody else suing over a suspension. I think it was the right ruling even if I find fault in how the NFL handled this whole thing. Hopefully this is over...and hopefully Roger and Tom come to a settlement that gets Tom on the field sooner....he is a great player and some air in a football didn't change anything about his legacy or performance on the field....maybe about his character but I can't speak to that because I don't know him personally. NFL is better with Tom Brady playing...nobody wants to see GS without Steph...its a better product with him on the field and hopefully both sides realize that and settle this thing.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I have not read the opinion yet, but I am not sure why the NFL would want to settle.  Perhaps only in a way that it would be clear than they are in no way do they yield any position gain, for future cases, from the opinion.  I hope to be able to read the opinion tonight.

There is a chance it might be heard by the entire panel of the Appeals Court given its importance and my points below.

As for the Supreme Court hearing this case, there is that lingering Appeals case from MInn. (8th Circuit).   If that Appeals panel agrees with the NFLPA, then one would have a split in the circuits.  It would be especially difficult if that panels rules 3-0 in favor of the NFLPA's position.   Which would then overall would have 6 out of 8 judges (two trial and four appellate) ruling in favor of the NFLPA.

Another thing that would make the split dicey is the NFL is unquestionably a nationwide entity and this is not an issue local to just 2nd circuit, where no one would care what happens in Minnesota and the 8th circuit.

As the split could cause a problem with NFLPA and NFL respectfully going forum shopping the next time Goodell steps out of line and issues an sanction that is not in line with the NFL has done before with prior cases.   The NFLPA running to the 8th Circuit and the NFL running to the 2nd circuit.

The 8th circuit could rule in line with the 2nd circuit, time will tell.