Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Mock Draft 1.0

Round 1 - Leonard Floyd, EDGE, Georgia

488131109_3262_APP_ST_at-Georgia.jpg

In a back and forth decision between Floyd and Noah Spence, Floyd edged out the Eastern Kentucky prospect for a few reasons. Not least of all being Floyd's ridiculous athletic profile. Floyd offers none of the off-the-field risks, but all of the on-the-field rewards that Spence does. Floyd is capable of playing and starting at RUSH, SAM, and ILB. Floyd has the ability to beat tackles around the edge as well as play sideline to sideline in coverage.

Round 2 - Shilique Calhoun, EDGE, MSU

shilique-calhoun-ftr-getty-061616_1pwr8u

Yes, we double up on EDGE players this year. Calhoun is probably the most effective pass rusher I've watched on tape this season. His over-pursuit as a run defender and overall lack of strength and inability to win with power will regulate him to a role-player in his first year. Calhoun has the explosion and athleticism to develop into a productive third down pass rusher and possible starter down the road. 

Round 3 - Jordan Howard, RB, Indiana

635793858411491918-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-IND

Howard is very much a 1-speed power runner. In my estimate, a better player. He doesn't have elite speed or elusiveness, but he's a big forward-leaning power back capable of grinding out tough yards. He has pretty good lateral agility for a back his size. IMO, a better prospect than his predecessor Tevin Coleman was. 

Round 4 - Jack Allen, C, MSU

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2014%2F0610%2Fncf_g_jac

The Colts miss out on the top centers in the draft but manage to grab Allen in the middle of the 4th. Allen is a limited athlete, and not an ideal starter for a zone-based team, but he's a smart, technical player, with a mean-streak who can win with leverage and technical ability in spite of physical limitations. Can also play guard and has played a little bit of tackle. 

Round 5 - Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame 

AP_447124765804.jpg

Round 7 - Cody Kessler, QB, USC

maxresdefault.jpg

First 2 picks are great picks. If it were me I'd possibly nab Ryan Kelly at 48 if he is still there but Calhoun would be an outstanding pick (Taking Kelly at 48 instead of Calhoun would possibly allow us to take Victor Ochi in the 4th-5th or trade down from the 4th and gain an extra pick and nab a RB with the extra pick and still get another pass rusher with high potential.....Im not sold on Jack Allen). I do like Kessler as well.....Just not sure I want to burn a draft pick on a QB when we could use that draft pick on a Scat Back/WR/another all around TE/ILB/OLB/D Lineman

17 minutes ago, Gavin said:

First 2 picks are great picks. If it were me I'd possibly nab Ryan Kelly at 48 if he is still there but Calhoun would be an outstanding pick (Taking Kelly at 48 instead of Calhoun would possibly allow us to take Victor Ochi in the 4th-5th or trade down from the 4th and gain an extra pick and nab a RB with the extra pick and still get another pass rusher with high potential.....Im not sold on Jack Allen). I do like Kessler as well.....Just not sure I want to burn a draft pick on a QB when we could use that draft pick on a Scat Back/WR/another all around TE/ILB/OLB/D Lineman

Idk why you would pass on Calhoun to get an extra pick and use it on a small school, project pass rusher.

Arent we all always screaming at Grigson for wasting time and resources on projects?

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk why you would pass on Calhoun to get an extra pick and use it on a small school, project pass rusher.

Arent we all always screaming at Grigson for wasting time and resources on projects?

To get Kelly at 48 instead of Allen at 116. It has little to do with a small school pass rusher....By the way Robert Mathis was also that small school project pass rusher (Alabama A&M) and that clearly did not affect his ability to play in the NFL

7 minutes ago, Gavin said:

To get Kelly at 48 instead of Allen at 116. It has little to do with a small school pass rusher....By the way Robert Mathis was also that small school project pass rusher (Alabama A&M) and that clearly did not affect his ability to play in the NFL

I don't think Kelly is worth missing out on a potential game changer at OLB. Calhoun is a better prospect overall than Kelly. I think there are other centers besides Kelly who can start.

And Mathis was the exception to the rule, not the rule. I wouldn't count on Ochi becoming the next Mathis.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't think Kelly is worth missing out on a potential game changer at OLB. Calhoun is a better prospect overall than Kelly. I think there are other centers besides Kelly who can start.

And Mathis was the exception to the rule, not the rule. I wouldn't count on Ochi becoming the next Mathis.

you opinion. Frankly i like Kelly better plus he is a bigger need.

8 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

you opinion. Frankly i like Kelly better plus he is a bigger need.

You don't draft for need though. It's fine if you like Kelly better than any center. But to think he's going to go ahead of players who are rated higher based on need is silly.

I prefer Floyd over Spence, but would pass on both. 

I wouldn't mind Calhoun in the 2nd round, I could accept that. 

The 4th round seems high for Jack Allen to me. He is severely undersized, although an absolute bulldog. 

I think Jaylon Smith will likely be a 2nd rounder, and likely go to the Titans unfortunately. 

Grigson just said he "needs" to hit this draft out of the park.  He "needs" to show Irsay he is serious about protecting our most important player.  He knows he "needs" to fix he OL.  I think he is toast if he doesn't.  No more taking chances on 3rd. and 4th. rounders hoping they can do the job.  He can no longer take the risk.   He needs OL starters now.  Those kind of players are found in the first two rounds.  I think he will draft for the Ol in the first round maybe even second round as well.  

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

My point is the fact that Ochi attended Stony Brook instead of some big school like Alabama will have nothing to do with him being able to play or not being able to play in the NFL. Several NFL HoFmrs went to small schools

Larry Allen-Sonoma State

Marshall Faulk-San Diego State

Charles Haley-James Madison

Howie Long-Villanova

John Randle-Trinity Valley...Though did transfer to Texas A&M

Willie Roaf-Louisiana Tech

Shannon Sharpe-Savannah State

Michael Strahan-Texas Southern

Steve Young-BYU

Those are just players that played the last 20-30 years

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

Round 1 - Leonard Floyd, EDGE, Georgia

488131109_3262_APP_ST_at-Georgia.jpg

In a back and forth decision between Floyd and Noah Spence, Floyd edged out the Eastern Kentucky prospect for a few reasons. Not least of all being Floyd's ridiculous athletic profile. Floyd offers none of the off-the-field risks, but all of the on-the-field rewards that Spence does. Floyd is capable of playing and starting at RUSH, SAM, and ILB. Floyd has the ability to beat tackles around the edge as well as play sideline to sideline in coverage.

Round 2 - Shilique Calhoun, EDGE, MSU

shilique-calhoun-ftr-getty-061616_1pwr8u

Yes, we double up on EDGE players this year. Calhoun is probably the most effective pass rusher I've watched on tape this season. His over-pursuit as a run defender and overall lack of strength and inability to win with power will regulate him to a role-player in his first year. Calhoun has the explosion and athleticism to develop into a productive third down pass rusher and possible starter down the road. 

Round 3 - Jordan Howard, RB, Indiana

635793858411491918-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-IND

Howard is very much a 1-speed power runner. In my estimate, a better player. He doesn't have elite speed or elusiveness, but he's a big forward-leaning power back capable of grinding out tough yards. He has pretty good lateral agility for a back his size. IMO, a better prospect than his predecessor Tevin Coleman was. 

Round 4 - Jack Allen, C, MSU

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2014%2F0610%2Fncf_g_jac

The Colts miss out on the top centers in the draft but manage to grab Allen in the middle of the 4th. Allen is a limited athlete, and not an ideal starter for a zone-based team, but he's a smart, technical player, with a mean-streak who can win with leverage and technical ability in spite of physical limitations. Can also play guard and has played a little bit of tackle. 

Round 5 - Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame 

AP_447124765804.jpg

Round 7 - Cody Kessler, QB, USC

maxresdefault.jpg

I'd love this. But... I don't think Grigs drafts this way.  

If he does though I would really like having a linebacker Corp that is talented.  I'd be ecstatic.

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Grigson just said he "needs" to hit this draft out of the park.  He "needs" to show Irsay he is serious about protecting our most important player.  He knows he "needs" to fix he OL.  I think he is toast if he doesn't.  No more taking chances on 3rd. and 4th. rounders hoping they can do the job.  He can no longer take the risk.   He needs OL starters now.  Those kind of players are found in the first two rounds.  I think he will draft for the Ol in the first round maybe even second round as well.  

Go home silly drafter

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

expand pls. 

I'm good with the 1st 2 picks.  Not really but they are acceptable.

Now, I don't know if you are the Dustin that is frequently asking Kevin Bowen questions on the mailbag (I"ve always thought it was you), but Kevin has maintained for a very long time the Colts FO is not grabbing a backup QB.  He is adamant about it, so I've always taken that he knows them better than we do.  That's 1 wasted pick.

Also, every expert is mourning Jaylon Smith because the medicals are so bad, they don't think he will ever play again.   Kiper is a Notre Dame fan and is saying it is a disaster.   ANother wasted pick.  

If we had extra picks this year, I would say go for it, but even Grigson has said he has to hit a home run on this draft and I don't think your draft is a home run.

29 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Now, I don't know if you are the Dustin that is frequently asking Kevin Bowen questions on the mailbag (I"ve always thought it was you), but Kevin has maintained for a very long time the Colts FO is not grabbing a backup QB.  He is adamant about it, so I've always taken that he knows them better than we do.  That's 1 wasted pick.

Also, every expert is mourning Jaylon Smith because the medicals are so bad, they don't think he will ever play again.   Kiper is a Notre Dame fan and is saying it is a disaster.   ANother wasted pick.  

If we had extra picks this year, I would say go for it, but even Grigson has said he has to hit a home run on this draft and I don't think your draft is a home run.

I have no problem with the team taking a flyer on Smith late. Yes, the tests are beyond bad, but keep in mind, most late round picks aren't even in the league for that long. Plus, we wouldn't be relying on Smith that much at all. I'd see it as a situation where if he heals up, we have a game changer for years to come. If he doesn't, well he was a late pick anyways.

I do like the first two picks. It would ramp up the pass rush big time. But no to a RB in round 3. Instead, how about Max Tuerck? He is coming back from an ACL, but the guy is a big time talent. Grab him in round 3 and you get a versatile, talented Center. Or maybe Seumalo( sp?) from Oregon St.  Another versatile talent who can play both C and G. I like both of them more than Jack Allen. They have to get a talented starting Center out of this draft, and to do that, they probably have to pull the trigger by the third round. 

I'd be OK with this, but I think it'd be a lot better to take a Guard at 48 instead of Calhoun. Then maybe get Fackrell in the 3rd. IMO one of Cody Whitehair or Christian Westerman should be available at 48. Also like Boehm over Jack Allen. I think Boehm can be a starting Center from week 1 on and play at a very high level. But man. If Jaylon Smith's medicals check out, and we're confident he'll be able to return the next year and still be the same player. Then wow. Biggest steal of the draft. Maybe the biggest steal in the last 5 years.

Immediately after the season ended, I thought the Colts needed to draft multiple edge players....which is also the biggest roster need to fill.   I like the Floyd and Calhoun picks.  I think the last four picks may not be good fits.  If Ryan Kelly was still around at #49, I'd trade the remaining 4 picks for him.  Floyd, Calhoun, and Kelly would fill three big holes with excellent talent. 

We'd have to roll with Gore and the other RBs this season.

I'd rather have a nonideal situation at RB this year than a nonideal situation at C, which would be the case if Allen was the selection, JMO.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

My point is the fact that Ochi attended Stony Brook instead of some big school like Alabama will have nothing to do with him being able to play or not being able to play in the NFL. Several NFL HoFmrs went to small schools

Larry Allen-Sonoma State

Marshall Faulk-San Diego State

Charles Haley-James Madison

Howie Long-Villanova

John Randle-Trinity Valley...Though did transfer to Texas A&M

Willie Roaf-Louisiana Tech

Shannon Sharpe-Savannah State

Michael Strahan-Texas Southern

Steve Young-BYU

Those are just players that played the last 20-30 years

I know all of that. My point wasn't that it doesn't happen. My point was that you shouldn't count on late round small school guys to address areas of need. Evidence says a guy like Ochi isn't likely to become a star. Remember: Rules and exceptions to the rule.

I wouldn't be a fan of passing on a prospect like Calhoun to draft Kelly and then hoping a guy from Stony Brook can help your pass rush.

Dustin, 

You definitely do your homework watching a ton of college players breaking down their strengths & weaknesses & filling gapping holes with quality personnel that would make an immediate impact on our roster. 

I also like that your summaries on guys are brief & that you let your audience know up front why a player would be a good fit for INDY. 

If Grigson doesn't pan out & you need signatures on a petition so that you can slide into the GM spot, I'll sign my John Handcock to it. Let me know...

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

No, im not that Dustin.

And Kevin Bowen's opinion doesn't mean anything to me

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I know all of that. My point wasn't that it doesn't happen. My point was that you shouldn't count on late round small school guys to address areas of need. Evidence says a guy like Ochi isn't likely to become a star. Remember: Rules and exceptions to the rule.

I wouldn't be a fan of passing on a prospect like Calhoun to draft Kelly and then hoping a guy from Stony Brook can help your pass rush.

Calhoun would be a decent pick in the second round but not great, especially if Kelly was there which he probably won't be. .  Kelly would start day one and would be a fixture on our line for a decade.  Calhoun would be a situational pass rusher at best day one and a long shot to start down the road.  Our 1st. and 2nd. rounders should be starting caliber players.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Calhoun would be a decent pick in the second round but not great, especially if Kelly was there which he probably won't be. .  Kelly would start day one and would be a fixture on our line for a decade.  Calhoun would be a situational pass rusher at best day one and a long shot to start down the road.  Our 1st. and 2nd. rounders should be starting caliber players.

Both are. Also its not a given Kelly would start day 1(Though I think there would be a better than 50% chance he started after the Bye Week which don't come till week 10). He would have to show he learned the playbook, The O Line calls, Could handle different blitzes and Stunts....which way to shift his O Line

I like Floyd at #18... I think he can log playing time inside and out and give some of our older players a chance to rest at both spots... and, of course, he could be our edge rusher of the future. 

I don't like the idea of doubling up on edge guys in the first two rounds. I feel like a top guy like Floyd or Spence can be used as a stop-gap until Mathis/Cole  become FAs next year. There is good top-level talent coming out next year and we could pair the rookie with Floyd. Of course, that doesn't address SAM, but that's a different issue... If we were going to grab two OLBs early, i'd want Jenkins after Floyd... Maybe even in round 3, but round 2 would be ok with me under those circumstances. 

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

You don't draft for need though. It's fine if you like Kelly better than any center. But to think he's going to go ahead of players who are rated higher based on need is silly.

I would not be drafting Kelly ahead of Calhoun for need, I rate him higher period. If Kelly is there at 48 I think he is a no brainer but doubt he will be left at 48. No doubt Calhoun will still be there.