Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lucks contract

Bbswatching

Just my opinion.  But does he have to get the highest contract ever?  Hes a great qb.  But thats what got us in trouble in the manning years.  We Paid the Offense so much.  And then our defense suffered.  As much as I hate the pats, take a page from them.  Give him a good contract.  But doesnt have to be highest ever.  That way you leave room for other players.  And be able to build a team around Luck.  And Im not talking about going and signing all top FA's but some players that are good.  Dont all have to be great.  Learn from the past. 

1 minute ago, Bbswatching said:

Just my opinion.  But does he have to get the highest contract ever?  Hes a great qb.  But thats what got us in trouble in the manning years.  We Paid the Offense so much.  And then our defense suffered.  As much as I hate the pats, take a page from them.  Give him a good contract.  But doesnt have to be highest ever.  That way you leave room for other players.  And be able to build a team around Luck.  And Im not talking about going and signing all top FA's but some players that are good.  Dont all have to be great.  Learn from the past. 

Does he have to? Yes.

It's what Irsay and Grigson want.

Since Irsay has already opened his mouth they are somewhat obligated to now unless Luck wants to be nice.  They do not have any bargaining now and with the FA market for QB's you have mediocre guys getting almost 20/year so he knows where the value is as well.  I am honestly think he gets somewhere around 23 or 25/year.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

When did he say that?

It was a comment he made a little while back.  But he then followed it with he wants it to be a cap friendly contract so we surround him with talent.  That is why I said it was an assumption.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

It was a comment he made a little while back.  But he then followed it with he wants it to be a cap friendly contract so we surround him with talent.  That is why I said it was an assumption.

No link?

I don't remember Irsay saying that he'd give Luck his check book or that Luck would be the highest paid. I don't believe he did.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Preparing-For-Andrew-Lucks-Next-Contract/0ba0a6fd-bbfa-40cf-9e8b-b6a13f40814e

I just remember JMV and all the local media continuously repeating it (not the best source understandable). If he did not say it verbatim then I apologize but regardless he has mentioned wanting to pay him, but as previously stated also said it needs to be cap-friendly.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yes, the owner wants to make sure his franchise QB gets a new contract. There's no news there.

Wow are you a writer or apart of the media?? a whole post and only copy what helps your statement that follows.  Good job!

42 minutes ago, Bbswatching said:

Just because the Pats have been savy in the way they structure Bradys recent contracts doesn't mean he isnt one of the highest paid ever. They put all his money into a signing bonus. 

Luck has no incentive to take a discount. Any number of teams would pay him whatever he wants. The Browns would probably give him $100 million guaranteed if he'd sign there haha 

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Wow are you a writer or apart of the media?? a whole post and only copy what helps your statement that follows.  Good job!

I don't know what you're talking about. This deflection is nonsense.

Irsay didn't say he wants Luck to be the highest paid, nor did he say that he'd give Luck his check book and let him fill it out. Show me where Irsay said either of those things.

I will catch a lot of flack for this.  but I think that Andrew Lucks contract should be less than Russell Wilsons.

Andrew luck has not played as well as Russell Wilson, that's a fact. 

When you look at their numbers, Luck only beats Wilson in completions (100 more), yet has 400 more attempts. He also has more yards.  But everything else, Wilson is better.

Completion Percentage: Wilson

Avg Yards per completion: Wilson

Touchdowns: Wilson

Interceptions: Wilson

Fumbles: Wilson

Rating: Wilson

Playoff Performances: Wilson

I honestly do not think that Luck should get more than Wilson.

$25M signing Bonus, $20M Annual, $80M over 4 years, with $55M - $58M guaranteed. 

@Superman what do you think?

12 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

I will catch a lot of flack for this.  but I think that Andrew Lucks contract should be less than Russell Wilsons.

When you look at their numbers, Luck only beats Wilson in completions (100 more), yet has 400 more attempts. He also has more yards.  But everything else, Wilson is better.

$25M signing Bonus, $20M Annual, $80M over 4 years, with $55M - $58M guaranteed. 

Wilson also had an all world Defense and a hall of fame running back. 

8 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

I don't disagree that Wilson has outplayed Luck, at least by the numbers. He's also a SB champ. I don't think Wilson has had the same burden to carry, and I don't think he's better than Luck, but I understand your comparison and your conclusion.

The deal though is that contracts aren't necessarily based on performance comparisons. Wilson's leverage (or lack thereof) dictated his contract negotiations, and is the primary reason he signed after three years, while Luck is likely signing after four years. Wilson signed for four years; Luck will probably sign for 6. Wilson was making $1.5m last year without a new deal; Luck is making $16m, and doesn't have to be in a hurry to accept the Colts first offer, so his people can play a stronger hand in negotiations.

I'm pretty sure Luck will get a bigger contract than Wilson. But Wilson's "new money" is just under $22m/year, making him the second highest paid player in league history (at least until Flacco got his new deal). If Luck gets $23m/year, it won't be outrageous, considering two years ago everybody thought he'd get $25m/year. Wilson will also wind up getting his next contract well before Luck does, so it will even out eventually.

26 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Wilson has had Lynch his entire career + one of the best Defenses ever where he isn't going to Turn it over as much because he has never had to force anything/carry a team. The one time when Wilson could've been a hero look what happened, he threw the worst INT in SB history. He lost the SB with 1 play. No other player can say that. People can say it was Carroll's call but bottomline Wilson had all the power to change the play or audible or even just run it in. The guy wanted to play hero and thread the needle for a game winning SB pass and it backfired.

15 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Wilson also had an all world Defense and a hall of fame running back. 

Defense has nothing to do with Wilson's offensive performance, (if you try to argue that I'm going to point you to the texans,  or any of the other numerous teams with a good defense and crappy offense), and luck has had the much better receiving corp with a Hall of fame receiver.  

Just now, Narcosys said:

Defense has nothing to do with Wilson's offensive performance, (if you try to argue that I'm going to point you to the texans,  or any of the other numerous teams with a good defense and crappy offense), and luck has had the much better receiving corp with a Hall of fame receiver.  

Having Lynch does though. Most of the teams that have played the Seahawks have gameplanned for Lynch therefore that has made it easy for Wilson to put up decent numbers. Imagine if Luck had someone like Peterson to make it fair. His Turnovers would be way down. I think had we had Peterson we may have won a SB already.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wilson has had Lynch his entire career + one of the best Defenses ever where he isn't going to Turn it over as much because he has never had to force anything/carry a team. The one time when Wilson could've been a hero look what happened, he threw the worst INT in SB history. He lost the SB with 1 play. No other player can say that. People can say it was Carroll's call but bottomline Wilson had all the power to change the play or audible or even just run it in. The guy wanted to play hero and thread the needle for a game winning SB pass and it backfired.

There's actually numerous players that lost their superbowl in one play.  The cowboys receiver (Jackie Smith) that dropped the easy pass versus the Steelers comes to mind.  You could also blame manning for the pick 6 versus the Saints.  

One could make the case that luck forces too much,  too often. Many, if not most,  of his passes go high and behind leading to his high number of interceptions. 

4 hours ago, Narcosys said:

You may want to take another look at HIS playoff performances.

10 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

DC.....

You're new here...    joined in January....   you have 64 posts....

So, I'll offer this for your consideration and let you do what you feel is appropriate....

In addition to being a moderator,  I'm going to offer my opinion based on the reading of the board over the last 4 years that Superman is widely considered the smartest, most knowledgable,  most reasonable and fair minded poster on this website.      I think more Colts fans share that view of him than anyone else.

If I'm wrong,  I'm sure someone will so say -- people here aren't exactly shy.

That said....    throwing sarcasm his way isn't going to cut it.    Being a smart aleck with him isn't going to cut it.   Being disrespectful with him isn't going to cut it.      The only person you'll hurt is.......  yourself.

You might want to try a different approach based on respect....

Just some food for thought....    you're free to accept or reject my view....    there are plenty of people here who don't agree with me,  so you can take it for what you think my two cents is worth....

NewColtsFan