Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Andrew Billings

59 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Rated 17th in what and by who? That OL was terrible and arguably the worst Peyton ever played behind with the exception of the 2010 line.

2012-4659 yards and 37 TDs. 2014-4727 yards and 39 TDs. 2013-5477 yards and 55 TDs. By the way, 2013 set the NFL record.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

2012-4659 yards and 37 TDs. 2014-4727 yards and 39 TDs. 2013-5477 yards and 55 TDs. By the way, 2013 set the NFL record.

what does that have to do with the 2015 Broncos offensive line? 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

In general 

Billings will not only help open lanes for the pass rush but will help in run D too.

I doubt Floyd or Spence could do both.

In general? Really? So Von Miller or Khalil Mack wasn't worth a 1st round pick?

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

In general? Really? So Von Miller or Khalil Mack wasn't worth a 1st round pick?

I was thinking the same thing. In this day and age, elite pass rushers aren't a dime a dozen and they're harder to get outside of the 1st. Very good to elite NTs typically aren't drafted in the first. 

Billings will be really good, but with our needs, I don't see the value in the pick at 18. You have to look at the gap between your 1st Rd guys and the next tier. The gap for pass rushers is much larger than NTs. This is also why RBs have a diminished value in the draft. Gotta get the guy that you can't get a similar talent for a Rd later.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sure he's a good player,  but I don't get this pick at all....

We'd pass up our two biggest areas of need (pass rush and interior OL) for a position that is typically greatly discounted (NT) and he's roughly the same size as Parry.    Now, he's much, much better than Parry,  but I don't see how the Colts get better taking a Nose Tackle at 18.      

With this pick we'd be trying to address our two top areas of need in the 2nd and 3rd round.    Not very desirable.

Billings is not who I think the Colts should take.

Your going off need not the talent. You should know that's not how the Colts are gonna draft, unless maybe they come to a group of players that are all about the same level on thier board when they pick...then that's when I'd say they'll probably go with the one that addresses the biggest need. And I don't think there is gonna be any sorta real good pass rusher or OL being there at 18, not that's gonna be better than what Billings offers. A guy who could eat up double teams for us and free up our backer allowing them to get to the ball easily and make plays. Plus Clogging things up like he most likely would. He would likeley allow to us stop the run alot better. That's how we'd get better. And what are Chucks two big things...Stop the run and run the ball!!!

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

Yeah it did. They didn't have Ryan Clady all season and started multiple rookies across the line. They had 8 players take over 100 snaps. 

The core of those 8 players were veterans. They had more experience than the Colts played with. Did you happen to see their rating when you looked at the page? It was no big deal as they were rated #10

43 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

Your going off need not the talent. You should know that's not how the Colts are gonna draft, unless maybe they come to a group of players that are all about the same level on thier board when they pick...then that's when I'd say they'll probably go with the one that addresses the biggest need. And I don't think there is gonna be any sorta real good pass rusher or OL being there at 18, not that's gonna be better than what Billings offers. A guy who could eat up double teams for us and free up our backer allowing them to get to the ball easily and make plays. Plus Clogging things up like he most likely would. He would likeley allow to us stop the run alot better. That's how we'd get better. And what are Chucks two big things...Stop the run and run the ball!!!

Your last comment,  about Chuck's big things...   very good points, and honestly,  I'd thought of that too...

But in a year of great DL talent...  especially at DT,  it's hard for me to get excited about a guy who is 6'1" and 310.        It's not the type of guy I want anchoring the middle of my defense.      It's a personal preference thing.

Again,   I like Billings.    I think he'll be a solid player.    I'd just prefer he be good for someone else, and we find someone bigger and better (for example, the two Alabama kids)  to clog our middle...     On the DL,  I prefer size...

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sure he's a good player,  but I don't get this pick at all....

We'd pass up our two biggest areas of need (pass rush and interior OL) for a position that is typically greatly discounted (NT) and he's roughly the same size as Parry.    Now, he's much, much better than Parry,  but I don't see how the Colts get better taking a Nose Tackle at 18.      

With this pick we'd be trying to address our two top areas of need in the 2nd and 3rd round.    Not very desirable.

Billings is not who I think the Colts should take.

He is not your typical NT.  He has elite power and speed. He can stuff the run and keep the LB's clean push the pocket like you want from a nose tackle but he has the speed/quickness to make tackles outside of his gap close on the QB. He has the potential to be a rare player a NT that can be a game changer. Dominate at the point of attack. He is young will be 19 draft day. He belongs in a 3/4. He would address the pass rush. He can get to the QB and open things up for others to get there eating up blockers. He's going to be a special player IMO. That's what you look for in round 1. 

He's been my pick at 18 since he declared. There is no OL worth the 18th pick. We aren't looking for a T.  Or at least we say we aren't. I don't see an interior lineman worth 18th pick.

This simply isn't a good draft for edge rushers. The guys I like the most on the edge aren't 1st rounders. You wanna roll the dice on Spence? Floyd? You can address pass rush by adding DL who can get home. I'd rather look at Correra, Cowser, Ngakoue Calhoun as edge rushers I know I'm missing a couple but none are worth the 18th pick. 

We still couldn't stop the run consistentley last year. Billings addresses that problem and helps with the pass rush at a position that needs upgraded. He would start over Parry day 1. Let's be honest Parry is great for a 5th but he's not a starting NT on a championship caliber defense. 

I think Billings is the best choice at 18 unless someone unexpected falls. The two guys I've heard that I don't get are Jaylon and Kelly. That's desperation. Billings would be a leap in the right direction for this D. 

I must share with you......

Because so many of you have raved about Billings to me I went back and read a variety of reviews on him...  and while I still think he'd be better and more devastating in a 4-3, think a slightly larger Aaron Donald,  I believe he can be an effective 3-4 NT.

So, if the Colts believe in hm and call his name at 18,  then I'm buying.    I think the question now is...   will he fall to 18?      Some other team may snatch him before our pick even comes around.

But thanks again to all of you who sold him so hard.    I appreciated taking a 2nd look at the write-ups and I'm officially impressed and on board!

:thmup:

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The core of those 8 players were veterans. They had more experience than the Colts played with. Did you happen to see their rating when you looked at the page? It was no big deal as they were rated #10

Lance Louis is a veteran. Do you think he's good?

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I must share with you......

Because so many of you have raved about Billings to me I went back and read a variety of reviews on him...  and while I still think he'd be better and more devastating in a 4-3, think a slightly larger Aaron Donald,  I believe he can be an effective 3-4 NT.

So, if the Colts believe in hm and call his name at 18,  then I'm buying.    I think the question now is...   will he fall to 18?      Some other team may snatch him before our pick even comes around.

But thanks again to all of you who sold him so hard.    I appreciated taking a 2nd look at the write-ups and I'm officially impressed and on board!

:thmup:

When Jay Ratliff was playing under Wade Phillips at Dallas as their NT he was playing at ~305. During Ratliff's time there he was arguably considered the best NT in the game. It doesn't necessarily take raw size to be an effective NT. I think Billings' upside in terms of strength and ability could be better than Ratliff. I like Parry, without a doubt, but Billings would be a clear upgrade. He would slide inside when we go to our 4 man fronts. Having a guy who could be an every down guy on the line, and as good as Billings could be, would be huge. 

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

When Jay Ratliff was playing under Wade Phillips at Dallas as their NT he was playing at ~305. During Ratliff's time there he was arguably considered the best NT in the game. It doesn't necessarily take raw size to be an effective NT. I think Billings' upside in terms of strength and ability could be better than Ratliff. I like Parry, without a doubt, but Billings would be a clear upgrade. He would slide inside when we go to our 4 man fronts. Having a guy who could be an every down guy on the line, and as good as Billings could be, would be huge. 

I want to be clear about something.....    

I haven't been down on Billings because I'm so high on Parry,  and certainly NOT because Parry went to Stanford.    I just don't happen to like under-sized nose tackles,  whether it's billings or Parry.     Parry can be a back-up, I'm fine with that.

But in the middle, I prefer size.    I'd like someone who is closer to 325+.  

But if Billings can play larger than his size, then I'm a buyer....

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I want to be clear about something.....    

I haven't been down on Billings because I'm so high on Parry,  and certainly NOT because Parry went to Stanford.    I just don't happen to like under-sized nose tackles,  whether it's billings or Parry.     Parry can be a back-up, I'm fine with that.

But in the middle, I prefer size.    I'd like someone who is closer to 325+.  

But if Billings can play larger than his size, then I'm a buyer....

Personally I like NT's that can make plays instead of strictly holding gaps. Those kind of NT's I would not touch until day 3. Billings knows how to use leverage to hold the point of attack and has strong hands to rip free and the agility to make plays. Remember size don't mean strength it can just mean size. What I have a question about is his stamina. He has the physical skill to be an every down lineman and play up and down the line but I don't know how many snaps he had at Baylor.

Billings combine numbers are similar to Poes with the exception of bench press....Not that I put a ton of stock into combine numbers, especially in shorts.

8 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Personally I like NT's that can make plays instead of holding gaps. Those kind of NT's I would not touch until day 3. Billings knows how to leverage to hold th epoint of attack and has strong hands to rip free and the agility to make plays. Remember size don't mean strength it can just mean size. What I have a question about is his stamina. He has the physical skill to be an every down lineman and play up and down the line but I don't know how many snaps he had at Baylor.

Billings combine numbers are similar to Poes with the exception of bench press....Not that I put a ton of stock into combine numbers, especially in shorts.

Yeah, with last year's selection of Parry and the success of Wade Philips with the 1-gap style, I expect the league to run less 2-gap stuff in the middle in a pass happy league. 340-350 lb guys like Jamaal Williams or Vince Wilfork (don't let the website listings fool ya :)) don't grow on trees. So, focusing on lighter NTs that can disrupt might be the future of the league. The key is still having either a) the secondary to go with it or b) the pass rush to go with it to make disruption down the middle more effective.

Besides, teams like the Seahawks and Broncos recently proved that you need DL depth, not every down DL, to win consistently and survive injuries. Along those lines, stamina becomes less of an issue to me. Heck, Ware and Miller were used in tandem only 16 times in the SB and were extremely effective when that happened. DL depth, more than every down DL starters is the key and this draft is the draft to load up on DL depth, which will win come playoff time.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, with last year's selection of Parry and the success of Wade Philips with the 1-gap style, I expect the league to run less 2-gap stuff in a pass happy league. 340-350 lb guys like Jamaal Williams or Vince Wilfork (don't let the website listings fool ya :)) don't grow on trees. So, focusing on lighter NTs that can disrupt might be the future of the league. The key is still having either a) the secondary to go with it or b) the pass rush to go with it to make disruption down the middle more effective.

Two speed rushers that can grow into there frame and add strength and develop pass rush rep would go along way. I got my eyes all over Floyd. Also Correa in a trade down to the top of the 2nd or 3rd round from the 2nd round

44 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, with last year's selection of Parry and the success of Wade Philips with the 1-gap style, I expect the league to run less 2-gap stuff in the middle in a pass happy league. 340-350 lb guys like Jamaal Williams or Vince Wilfork (don't let the website listings fool ya :)) don't grow on trees. So, focusing on lighter NTs that can disrupt might be the future of the league. The key is still having either a) the secondary to go with it or b) the pass rush to go with it to make disruption down the middle more effective.

Besides, teams like the Seahawks and Broncos recently proved that you need DL depth, not every down DL, to win consistently and survive injuries. Along those lines, stamina becomes less of an issue to me. Heck, Ware and Miller were used in tandem only 16 times in the SB and were extremely effective when that happened. DL depth, more than every down DL starters is the key and this draft is the draft to load up on DL depth, which will win come playoff time.

I like where your mind is at, I completely agree.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Personally I like NT's that can make plays instead of strictly holding gaps. Those kind of NT's I would not touch until day 3. Billings knows how to use leverage to hold the point of attack and has strong hands to rip free and the agility to make plays. Remember size don't mean strength it can just mean size. What I have a question about is his stamina. He has the physical skill to be an every down lineman and play up and down the line but I don't know how many snaps he had at Baylor.

Well...   Poe is roughly 3 inches taller and about 25-35 pounds heavier....    so I don't think that's a great comparison.

And I don't know how much to read into Billings combine numbers.     He talked up a storm about breaking the combine bench record which I think is about 48 by Oregon State's Steven Pea who got drafted by the Bears and who is now with the Redskins.

But Billings only put up 31 reps,  which is nice,  but nothing close to a record for anyone.    In any given combine at least 5 guys put up about 31 reps.    So, I don't know what to make of what some here call his "elite strength"...??       31 reps is NOT elite...

23 minutes ago, AndyColt said:

Andrew is 6'2 315 around there he can put on 10 to 20 pounds and still keep his quickness...Look at Brandon Williams of the ravens I think he could be good as him...

ESPN insider has his combine measurements.

6' 0" 5/8 inches and 311 pounds.        I don't think he has the room for another 10-20 pounds and still keep his quickness.      He doesn't have the frame.    He's under 6'1".   He's likely maxed out at sub-315.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   Poe is roughly 3 inches taller and about 25-35 pounds heavier....    so I don't think that's a great comparison.

And I don't know how much to read into Billings combine numbers.     He talked up a storm about breaking the combine bench record which I think is about 48 by Oregon State's Steven Pea who got drafted by the Bears and who is now with the Redskins.

But Billings only put up 31 reps,  which is nice,  but nothing close to a record for anyone.    In any given combine at least 5 guys put up about 31 reps.    So, I don't know what to make of what some here call his "elite strength"...??       31 reps is NOT elite...

From Horseshoe heroes:

'Billings has exceptional strength with a weightlifting background. Specifically, he set a Texas prep state record in powerlifting with 2,010 total pounds at a meet: 805 squat, 705 dead lift, 500 on bench that was previously held by “The World’s Strongest Man” WWE professional wrestler Mark Henry for 22 years."

5 minutes ago, myic90 said:

From Horseshoe heroes:

'Billings has exceptional strength with a weightlifting background. Specifically, he set a Texas prep state record in powerlifting with 2,010 total pounds at a meet: 805 squat, 705 dead lift, 500 on bench that was previously held by “The World’s Strongest Man” WWE professional wrestler Mark Henry for 22 years."

Yeah, the 225 reps isn't a good indication of functional strength for linemen.

8 minutes ago, myic90 said:

From Horseshoe heroes:

Thanks....    I've seen that in the past....    which is why I was so surprised when he did so poorly (relative to expectations)  at the Combine bench at 225.      I think most were expecting a much higher number there.

But I appreciate you posting that....     good info for everyone to know...

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

More reps tells more of muscular endurance than actual strength though. Strength is generally determined by how much weight, not reps.  I'd bet if you just went 1-3 reps and saw how much Pea and Billings could get up to... Billings would likely win. Billings was doing over 2,000lbs between Bench, Squat and Deadlift coming out of Highschool. Imagine where he is probably at now!!! But the bigger thing is he knows how to use it to his advantage.

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

I don't see Stamina as an issue. First he'll have Parry to rotate with him. Second, he never really came off the field for Baylor, so it's natural that he wore down in games. And we know that the NT is only on the field for a handful of snaps.

The bench press at the combine isn't a great indicator for strength. A players 1 rep max would be better. Especially for that position. Billings is a power lifter which incorporates very few reps. 

But back to the pick. I really like it, mainly because most mocks I've seen have him going in the upper to mid second round. Now if we're in love with him, then don't take the chance, pick him at 18. BUT, if you're like me and just really like the pick and don't have your heart set on it, roll the dice and attempt to trade down 15 or so spots, grab him, and pick up another 3rd in the process. This is a deep class and we have a lot of positions to address.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's fine,  except I don't think a 310 pound NT is BPA.

I'm not sure we'd use him at NT.  Looks like he might be a 5 technique (two gap) fit in our 3-4 to me.  Or a DT and possibly NT in a 4-3 for someone else.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

ESPN insider has his combine measurements.

6' 0" 5/8 inches and 311 pounds.        I don't think he has the room for another 10-20 pounds and still keep his quickness.      He doesn't have the frame.    He's under 6'1".   He's likely maxed out at sub-315.

Andrew Billings 75

Andrew Billings 75
I got his size from the School website..........

Andrew  Billings

arrow.gif Class:
Junior
arrow.gif Hometown:
Waco, Texas
arrow.gif High School:
Waco HS
arrow.gif Height / Weight:
6-2 / 310
arrow.gif Position:
DT
arrow.gif Experience:
3L

Andrew  Billings

arrow.gif Class:
Junior
arrow.gif Hometown:
Waco, Texas
arrow.gif High School:
Waco HS
6-2 / 310
arrow.gif Position:
DT
arrow.gif

Experience:
3L

3 minutes ago, AndyColt said:

Andrew Billings 75

Andrew Billings 75
I got his size from the School website..........

Andrew  Billings

arrow.gif Class:
Junior
arrow.gif Hometown:
Waco, Texas
arrow.gif High School:
Waco HS
6-2 / 310
arrow.gif Position:
DT
arrow.gif Experience:
3L

Andrew  Billings

arrow.gif Class:
Junior
arrow.gif Hometown:
Waco, Texas
arrow.gif High School:
Waco HS
6-2 / 310
arrow.gif Position:
DT
arrow.gif

Experience:
3L

I'm not doubting that you did......    but most websites,  especially school websites,  are notoriously bad.   They deliberately publish false info....      that kind of stuff is what the coaches want the school to publish...

I'm not blaming you at all.      My favorite school,  Stanford,   does it from time to time as well.

ESPN gets their stuff directly from the Combine.....      it's as accurate as can be....      it's likely not 100%,  but it's closer than any other site....     NFL.com does a very good job as well,  but for some strange reason,  a few years ago,  they stopped posting the exact heights on players.    Every player on their site is exactly to the inch,   not to the 8th of an inch which is how players are measured at the combine.     Strange,  they're exact with measurements like arms and hands,  but not height?    They used to,  so I don't get that.... 

Hope that clarifies my thoughts.....

On March 5, 2016 at 5:53 AM, Luck2Hilton4TD said:

Every great 3-4 defense has a difference-maker at NT, Colts have yet to find one since 2012 under Chuck Pagano. 

Billings has incredible strength, quick feet, and is turning 21 years old. 

He's turning 21 eventually He will be 19 draft day. 20 when the season starts. He's gonna be special I hope we don't reach for an edge rusher and let this kid slip by.If we take Floyd and Billings is on the board oh boy 

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not doubting that you did......    but most websites,  especially school websites,  are notoriously bad.   They deliberately publish false info....      that kind of stuff is what the coaches want the school to publish...

I'm not blaming you at all.      My favorite school,  Stanford,   does it from time to time as well.

ESPN gets their stuff directly from the Combine.....      it's as accurate as can be....      it's likely not 100%,  but it's closer than any other site....     NFL.com does a very good job as well,  but for some strange reason,  a few years ago,  they stopped posting the exact heights on players.    Every player on their site is exactly to the inch,   not to the 8th of an inch which is how players are measured at the combine.     Strange,  they're exact with measurements like arms and hands,  but not height?    They used to,  so I don't get that.... 

Hope that clarifies my thoughts.....

This is really not related to this player it was just something about a players height. IMO height is not as important in the NFL as some seem to think. I am not going to go into a list of players who are good players present and past, but height is over rated. I do agree the NFL is more truthful about height but only because there are cameras everywhere and now cant be hidden.