Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam's Gold MVP Cleats

18Manning

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

The piling on continues. What is funny is that there have been many people on this board (including myself) upset at people feeding into and buying into the narrative on Peyton (can't win the big game...regular season mvp/playoff goat etc etc) and yet we jump very quickly to do the same thing to another player. Now we are criticizing the guy because the cleats he wore. The kid isn't perfect...and makes some mistakes...but he also does as much charity work as any I've seen...plays with a ton of passion on the field and seems to want to have a good time playing the game. He has his faults for sure..but it would be nice to see us give the young man room to grow up and make mistakes or at the worst have some fun playing a GAME. If we keep tearing everyone down there isn't going to be anyone to cheer for. I know my post isn't going to be popular but we aren't talking about Michael Vick here....Cam didn't kill any puppies or anything. He got upset when he had to sit next to an opponent brag about how they beat him...he made some bad plays in the game...and now he wore some flashy shoes...that he didn't even WEAR in the game..just warm ups. I'm going to take the Archie view. You would like to see the guy handle things differently..but losing is hard....very hard at that level and I think it would be nice to show some humanity and give him a break.

Very well said, as usual. This may not be a popular sentiment but I appreciate it. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

The piling on continues. What is funny is that there have been many people on this board (including myself) upset at people feeding into and buying into the narrative on Peyton (can't win the big game...regular season mvp/playoff goat etc etc) and yet we jump very quickly to do the same thing to another player. Now we are criticizing the guy because the cleats he wore. The kid isn't perfect...and makes some mistakes...but he also does as much charity work as any I've seen...plays with a ton of passion on the field and seems to want to have a good time playing the game. He has his faults for sure..but it would be nice to see us give the young man room to grow up and make mistakes or at the worst have some fun playing a GAME. If we keep tearing everyone down there isn't going to be anyone to cheer for. I know my post isn't going to be popular but we aren't talking about Michael Vick here....Cam didn't kill any puppies or anything. He got upset when he had to sit next to an opponent brag about how they beat him...he made some bad plays in the game...and now he wore some flashy shoes...that he didn't even WEAR in the game..just warm ups. I'm going to take the Archie view. You would like to see the guy handle things differently..but losing is hard....very hard at that level and I think it would be nice to show some humanity and give him a break.

Meh, he should enjoy being disliked.  It's more a sign that you are a good player than anything else.  Cam and Jay Cutler both have a dooosh factor, but at least people care enough to talk about CN.

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

The piling on does continue, but not everyone has constancy participated in the "piling on". Personally, I think I'm done with my comments. I might have to bite my tongue if Cam Newton continues to, IMO, not be a professional (and make controversial comments). He did rub a lot of people the wrong way, so we shouldn't necessarily jump on someone coming here to vent. Again, not everyone that might want to vent down the road has participated in all the "piling on" on this forum. So we should allot them the opportunity. Newton is a polarizing person, you either dislike him, or you love him. There will be more comments.

Like I said before, I came here to post my opinion of Cam as I know most here are reasonable. Whether or not you agree with my opinion, the discussion(s) would be typically thoughtful and intelligent. This particular thread was started after I responded to some posts on MSN. Many of the people there are so far out, it's ridiculous. I had to come here to vent. I'll start another thread to touch on what one kookoo person said. it won't be a thread "piling on" Newton. It will be a thread about kookoo people on MSN threads. :)

14 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

The piling on does continue, but not everyone has constancy participated in the "piling on". Personally, I think I'm done with my comments. I might have to bite my tongue if Cam Newton continues to, IMO, not be a professional (and make controversial comments). He did rub a lot of people the wrong way, so we shouldn't necessarily jump on someone coming here to vent. Again, not everyone that might want to vent down the road has participated in all the "piling on" on this forum. So we should allot them the opportunity. Newton is a polarizing person, you either dislike him, or you love him. There will be more comments.

Oh certainly. I'm not trying to police peoples opinions or comments. Personally I find some things he does on the field during the season and after the game not pleasing but I also don't think we need to find the next player to tear down. People do it a lot. Tear down guys so they can lift up their heroes. I've watched Cam for awhile now and honestly his reaction during the game and post game etc is basically who he is. He has always struggled with body language and his tone when he loses. He is a very emotional player. I think he has improved on this through the last few years but he is never going to be that guy that gives the robotic post game interviews etc. I don't hold it against him and yet I don't celebrate it either. It just is who he is. I don't want to criticize it into the ground because its also what he uses to draw his inspiration for his incredible play and performances. I don't love everything that comes out of every player but I do appreciate their performances and I know they do a lot of stuff in the communities etc that don't get publicized. I realize these guys have their flaws and I accept that warts and just want to enjoy the performance. It doesn't all make me happy but it isn't a cookie cutter league. Some personality is ok with me.

So voicing your opinion is piling on? No matter if you like or dislike Newton having opinions comes with the territory of being a QB. When your the face and the leader of your team it is expected for you to act professional. If you are inclined to defend Newton that is fine but when some don't it's not your place to tell them they are wrong or you have had enough of what you call piling on. No one is forcing you to read any comments. Lord know we wouldn't want to hurt Newtons ego.

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So voicing your opinion is piling on? No matter if you like or dislike Newton having opinions comes with the territory of being a QB. When your the face and the leader of your team it is expected for you to act professional. If you are inclined to defend Newton that is fine but when some don't it's not your place to tell them they are wrong or you have had enough of what you call piling on. No one is forcing you to read any comments. Lord know we wouldn't want to hurt Newtons ego.

How odd coming from you. I cannot think of too many others here who try to silence people more than you do.  Even in your quote here, you wrote "it's not your place to tell them they are wrong." Isn't that what you are doing now? 

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Rather ironic coming from you. I cannot think of too many others here who try to silence people more than you do.  Even in your quote here, you wrote "it's not your place to tell them they are wrong." Isn't that what you are doing now? 

Nonsense. I guess if you feel the need to add your own meaning to my comment, be my guest. Maybe Newton can grow a set and put on his big boy pants on?

21 hours ago, dgambill said:

Piling on no last season was Deflate-gate this season its emotional- gate  QB's with gold cleats who run from press conferences like there carriage is gonna turn into a pumpkin .Welcome to the off season once again..

He wanted to be called Superman he choked under the pressure during the game & after the game .

He pushed the image he bought into the hype & instead of holding his head up high & manning up he had to run he was late for a pity party with Robert Kraft .

8 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Piling on no last season was Deflate-gate this season its emotional- gate  QB's with gold cleats who run from press conferences like there carriage is gonna turn into a pumpkin .Welcome to the off season once again..

He wanted to be called Superman he choked under the pressure during the game & after the game .

He pushed the image he bought into the hype & instead of holding his head up high & manning up he had to run he was late for a pity party with Robert Kraft .

Amen. Head of nail hit

Piling on or not piling on.  Who cares?  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you can see a thread is slanting towards venting at a guy who is supposed to be a leader and you don't agree....then don't participate.  None of this is the end of the world.  And, I don't think anybody can come on here and argue that Cam was acting like a true leader and fine gentleman.  Let people say what they think...even defend him if they so choose.  But, you don't have to pick at the people venting or sharing their opinion.  Whatever side they are on. Just say I don't agree.  Or whatever.....

15 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

With all the trashing of both QB's from the Super Bowl, it seems like a lot of people have an agenda or an ax to grind.  I think we should all try to remember:

10552590_587085858066556_403894324675751

Personally, I don't own an ax to grind.  I simply found his behavior atrocious.  He was on a national stage and is supposed to be a leader on his team.  I didn't think he acted like one.  I remember a deflate gate thread where lots of people were talking about how horrific deflating balls were and about how Brady was awful for not releasing his cell phone. Just because someone is expressing their opinion doesn't mean they mean harm to that person.  I hope Cam has a terrific Valentines day filled with lots of chocolate!  I still think he acted like a butthead.

3 minutes ago, radiogirl said:

Personally, I don't own an ax to grind.  I simply found his behavior atrocious.  He was on a national stage and is supposed to be a leader on his team.  I didn't think he acted like one.  I remember a deflate gate thread where lots of people were talking about how horrific deflating balls were and about how Brady was awful for not releasing his cell phone. Just because someone is expressing their opinion doesn't mean they mean harm to that person.  I hope Cam has a terrific Valentines day filled with lots of chocolate!  I still think he acted like a butthead.

My comment was not directed at you, or anyone on this forum in particular.

I, too,  found his behavior sad and off-putting.

I also find the behavior of those trying to take away from the Broncos win, and Peyton in particular, by posting trash and garbage from 20 years to take away from this moment, repulsive.

Sometimes my biggest accomplishment is keeping my mouth shut.

2 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

My comment was not directed at you, or anyone on this forum in particular.

I, too,  found his behavior sad and off-putting.

I also find the behavior of those trying to take away from the Broncos win, and Peyton in particular, by posting trash and garbage from 20 years to take away from this moment, repulsive.

Sometimes my biggest accomplishment is keeping my mouth shut.

It must have been directed at me because I was vocal about how he behaved.  It was wrong and I said so.  So did others.  No biggie.  Happens a lot on many threads on here.  Opinions are opinions.  Nothing more.  This thread wasn't nearly as bad as deflate gate and others.  I don't think anybody here plans to visit Cam and ruin his day.  

24 minutes ago, radiogirl said:

It must have been directed at me because I was vocal about how he behaved.  It was wrong and I said so.  So did others.  No biggie.  Happens a lot on many threads on here.  Opinions are opinions.  Nothing more.  This thread wasn't nearly as bad as deflate gate and others.  I don't think anybody here plans to visit Cam and ruin his day.  

No, it wasn't.

I was just as vocal about Cam in the beginning of this discussion as anyone, both here and on the other thread.

After reading all the garbage being spewed all over the internet, about both Peyton and Cam this week, made me take a look at myself and my own comments, and I came to the conclusion of who am I to judge this young QB for his comments and actions.? 

I hope he can grow from all of this.  I hope we all can.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

No, it wasn't.

I was just as vocal about Cam in the beginning of this discussion as anyone, both here and on the other thread.

After reading all the garbage being spewed all over the internet, about both Peyton and Cam this week, made me take a look at myself and my own comments, and I came to the conclusion of who am I to judge this young QB for his comments and actions.? 

I hope he can grow from all of this.  I hope we all can.

I just hate that he declares to be a leader and young kids look up to him.  He represents the NFL as a MVP and behaves this way.  Yes, there is negativity about him going around.  But, he brought it on himself IMO.  I don't know that Cam Newton's actions are going to provide me with a huge personal growth opportunity.  His actions don't affect my life too much.  But, if I see someone act like that and declare his leadership...I'm gonna call foul.  And, not feel bad about it in the least.  And, if I act like a horses rear, I get called out on it just like the next person.  As I should.  I have people that hold me accountable.  I doubt that Cam Newton gives two hoots to what radio girl thinks about his behavior.  But, when you display your arrogance like he has....you're gonna probably hear about it.

1 minute ago, radiogirl said:

I just hate that he declares to be a leader and young kids look up to him.  He represents the NFL as a MVP and behaves this way.  Yes, there is negativity about him going around.  But, he brought it on himself IMO.  I don't know that Cam Newton's actions are going to provide me with a huge personal growth opportunity.  His actions don't affect my life too much.  But, if I see someone act like that and declare his leadership...I'm gonna call nonsense.  And, not feel bad about it in the least.

Yes, he brought it on himself.  I agree with that.

His actions don't affect me either.    

But MY actions do.  That is the part I was referring to, as far as personal growth.   I hope that in the future that I won't be so quick to judge someone's actions or openly criticize.  I'm not perfect.  No-one is.   

2 hours ago, radiogirl said:

I was the worst, and I am not a hater of Mr. Newton.  But you are right RG....the Deflategate thread was the biggest mess , and was a gift that kept on giving.  I am leaving this alone now.  Cam will have his weekly "antics,"  I think I will just wait for this to happen again....and again....

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Yes, he brought it on himself.  I agree with that.

His actions don't affect me either.    

But MY actions do.  That is the part I was referring to, as far as personal growth.   I hope that in the future that I won't be so quick to judge someone's actions or openly criticize.  I'm not perfect.  No-one is.   

A big chunk of this forum is for people to discuss and debate areas of football and other sports.  They leave opinions, vent, argue, celebrate, and speculate.  It's the nature of the forum.  I have seen so many posts on here about Tom Brady and his behaviors and how terrible people think it is.  I don't think it's bad for people to discuss their opinions and thoughts.  I don't think anybody should go toilet paper his house.  But, I didn't see anything on here that should make someone feel bad about what they said.  I certainly don't.  I wish Cam well.  I wish everyone well.  But, I can't believe the way he has behaved.  And, I take back what I said.  I did learn something very valuable from his behavior.  How NOT to act in victory or defeat.....

5 minutes ago, radiogirl said:

A big chunk of this forum is for people to discuss and debate areas of football and other sports.  They leave opinions, vent, argue, celebrate, and speculate.  It's the nature of the forum.  I have seen so many posts on here about Tom Brady and his behaviors and how terrible people think it is.  I don't think it's bad for people to discuss their opinions and thoughts.  I don't think anybody should go toilet paper his house.  But, I didn't see anything on here that should make someone feel bad about what they said.  I certainly don't.  I wish Cam well.  I wish everyone well.  But, I can't believe the way he has behaved.  And, I take back what I said.  I did learn something very valuable from his behavior.  How NOT to act in victory or defeat.....

Well said. I cant believe there are some who think that others shouldn't post a comment they don't agree with. I was under the understanding that is what forums are for. Everyone has opinions and different points of view and just because you don't agree with them does not mean they are wrong. I think we are all guilty at times in being curious as to how some of these opinions are thought up and the mind set of how they are presented. I guess us old school football fans have only seen the tip of the iceberg but we don't have to sit on the side and keep our mouths shut. The NFL is becoming more the 'look' at me league. Most of us try to teach our kids on the social acceptable actions they use and call them out when they don't. That is all this is as far as Newton. Newton is full of talent but at the same time, full of himself.

23 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

He congratulated Peyton after the game. I don't know what your saying there. I agree he could have handled the press event A LOT better...but now we are hating on a guy for wearing some flashy shoes....not even in the game but the pre-game. Wow...that said I shouldn't be surprised because we also hate on Tom for wearing Uggs...so go figure. If anyone's greatness threatens us...we try to tear them down. Cam still has a lot of growing up to do...but he is a great player...and fun to watch..and is good for the game. His pouting isn't good for the game...but I think he will watch himself and realize he looked foolish and get better. Peyton learned you don't go around ripping your "liquere up" kicker as well....people can change. For the NFLs sake and Cam's sake I think he will too...because like it or not he is soon going to be the face of the NFL.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He congratulated Peyton after the game. I don't know what your saying there. I agree he could have handled the press event A LOT better...but now we are hating on a guy for wearing some flashy shoes....not even in the game but the pre-game. Wow...that said I shouldn't be surprised because we also hate on Tom for wearing Uggs...so go figure. If anyone's greatness threatens us...we try to tear them down. Cam still has a lot of growing up to do...but he is a great player...and fun to watch..and is good for the game. His pouting isn't good for the game...but I think he will watch himself and realize he looked foolish and get better. Peyton learned you don't go around ripping your "liquere up" kicker as well....people can change. For the NFLs sake and Cam's sake I think he will too...because like it or not he is soon going to be the face of the NFL.

Nobody said they hated him.  We all hope he changes.  But, he acted like a *.  Done.

Just now, radiogirl said:

Nobody said they hated him.  We all hope he changes.  But, he acted like a *.  Done.

True...he is a very emotional player. People have been saying that since he came into the league....he was sitting on the sideline with a towel over his head for almost his entire 2nd season. Yet he learned to be a leader on his team he can't act that way...he needed to show a positive attitude in defeat etc. He is a work in progress lets say. Clearly he has room to grow we all saw the press event. That said I've never seen the losers have to give interviews next to the gloating winners before either...that was down right ridiculous...and I can sympathize that would have a great deal an effect on a guy just losing the biggest game of his life. Sit there and tell us why you lost and didn't play well while the opponent is bragging right next to him about he did exactly what we thought he would and we pounded him etc etc. Cam would have done himself a great service by sitting and answering and doing a better job but he just hasn't grown to be that kind of leader yet. He didn't come into the league as a protégé...grow up with a pro football father his whole life like Archie or Oliver. I think he will get better...he has improved every year on and off the field. I wasn't saying people hate him (though some might) just hating (basically trying to drag a guy down like the Peyton assault thread). When we get to the point we start commenting on the guys shoes then I think people are going out of their way to bash the guy...that was my main point was all.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

At 26, I knew what life was about DG.  Yes I was still immature, but had a great job with great people guiding me to the top of my profession.  He is a great player.  I love to watch him play.  He WAS the MVP.  This is not the first time he has been a :censored2:.  

Peyton has changed....he had a long time ago.  One author brought this up because he said he 'hated' the Mannings....

14 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

At 26, I knew what life was about DG.  Yes I was still immature, but had a great job with great people guiding me to the top of my profession.  He is a great player.  I love to watch him play.  He WAS the MVP.  This is not the first time he has been a :censored2:.  

Peyton has changed....he had a long time ago.  One author brought this up because he said he 'hated' the Mannings....

Indeed. I would think I was pretty far along my growth at 26 too....but then again sports brings out a very very emotional side...a competitive side of people (I know me at least) that I even still don't always act the most Christian like sometimes lol. Combine the emotion of that with the fact this guy isn't us...his world is totally alien to any of us. He is shielded from many life lessons because of the money or his profession and I don't know much about his up bringing but not everyone has had the same life experiences to draw and grow from. I try not to be too judgemental. I agree he didn't act as professional as he could have...but I just choose not to drag him down and rag on the guy for a week about his every little mistake or choice. I'm going to have to just let this thread go. I'm not here to say people's opinions are wrong...just trying to throw some objectivity into things.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Indeed. I would think I was pretty far along my growth at 26 too....but then again sports brings out a very very emotional side...a competitive side of people (I know me at least) that I even still don't always act the most Christian like sometimes lol. Combine the emotion of that with the fact this guy isn't us...his world is totally alien to any of us. He is shielded from many life lessons because of the money or his profession and I don't know much about his up bringing but not everyone has had the same life experiences to draw and grow from. I try not to be too judgemental. I agree he didn't act as professional as he could have...but I just choose not to drag him down and rag on the guy for a week about his every little mistake or choice. I'm going to have to just let this thread go. I'm not here to say people's opinions are wrong...just trying to throw some objectivity into things.

Maybe Cam should have a babysitter like Dez Bryant.  Maybe walk around with a book on his head  "The rain in Spain falls gently on the plain."  A little couth goes a long way...Right? :)

37 minutes ago, dgambill said:

True...he is a very emotional player. People have been saying that since he came into the league....he was sitting on the sideline with a towel over his head for almost his entire 2nd season. Yet he learned to be a leader on his team he can't act that way...he needed to show a positive attitude in defeat etc. He is a work in progress lets say. Clearly he has room to grow we all saw the press event. That said I've never seen the losers have to give interviews next to the gloating winners before either...that was down right ridiculous...and I can sympathize that would have a great deal an effect on a guy just losing the biggest game of his life. Sit there and tell us why you lost and didn't play well while the opponent is bragging right next to him about he did exactly what we thought he would and we pounded him etc etc. Cam would have done himself a great service by sitting and answering and doing a better job but he just hasn't grown to be that kind of leader yet. He didn't come into the league as a protégé...grow up with a pro football father his whole life like Archie or Oliver. I think he will get better...he has improved every year on and off the field. I wasn't saying people hate him (though some might) just hating (basically trying to drag a guy down like the Peyton assault thread). When we get to the point we start commenting on the guys shoes then I think people are going out of their way to bash the guy...that was my main point was all.

I gotcha.  Agreed.  However, the shoes were hideous!  haha

8 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Maybe Cam should have a babysitter like Dez Bryant.  Maybe walk around with a book on his head  "The rain in Spain falls gently on the plain."  A little couth goes a long way...Right? :)

I think we all could use a little My fair lady treatment....especially us southern folk...I agree!

2 new teams will be in the SuperBowl next season, Cam isn't going back and either is Denver IMO. The 2 teams that are going I wont predict until after the Draft and Free Agency is over. Carolina will still be Good but will fall back a little, Denver wont Repeat with Brock and I honestly don't think they would with Peyton. Last team to Repeat was the 2004 Patriots, it rarely happens.