Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Forte for the right price

Matt Forte will be a free agent and although my preference is to go all in on OL/DL there is not often any real talent from that area in free agency and I would prefer drafting those positions for longevity and have the lines grow together create cohesive units for the long term.  I don't free agency pays off very often and everyone on this board could probably write pages of failures in that area.  However if we could get Forte for the right price I think he could be great for our offence especially in a time share with Gore.  He is an excellent runner and excels in the passing game which is something that our backs are not all that impressive at.  A threat in the passing game out of the backfield would be a nice option for us.  Anyway not likely we would go after him but thought I would throw it out there.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.... but like you said, it would have to be for the right price...

Though something tells me he wouldn't be too excited to come here after last season and the look of our O-Line. I doubt he (or Gore for that matter) would be ecstatic about sharing the load.

19 minutes ago, antipatriot said:

Matt Forte will be a free agent and although my preference is to go all in on OL/DL there is not often any real talent from that area in free agency and I would prefer drafting those positions for longevity and have the lines grow together create cohesive units for the long term.  I don't free agency pays off very often and everyone on this board could probably write pages of failures in that area.  However if we could get Forte for the right price I think he could be great for our offence especially in a time share with Gore.  He is an excellent runner and excels in the passing game which is something that our backs are not all that impressive at.  A threat in the passing game out of the backfield would be a nice option for us.  Anyway not likely we would go after him but thought I would throw it out there.

1) Wrong forum

2) Already they have an older RB.   They need younger legs at this position.

Forte is one of the older FA's that I could really go for.  I honestly like him better then Gore.  He's more well rounded and makes plays in the passing game better then Gore.  

A pass catching RB is something we severely need for this offense.  If we look over the Andrew Luck era the offense was at it's best when Bradshaw was playing and healthy because Bradshaw filled that role for us.

Now Bradshaw isn't going to make it through a whole season, but we need someone who can do that job who can make it through the season.  Forte is a great option.

Only problem is the money he will want and having him go along with Gore ties up a lot of money in the RB position.  

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I wouldn't mind him at the right price for a year. As in 1 year. No more. He's still a good back. Then we could draft a good back in next years draft. Next year's draft is loaded with RB's so this may not be a bad idea.

No no no. Is Forte a solid back still? Yes.

Will it hurt to see a team like the Patriots or another Contender grab him? Yes.

This team needs to focus on the future so Luck doesn't have any reason to leave. Getting someone like Miller from MIA or drafting Elliot from Ohio State would be a start in the right direction since it seems like Gore isn't getting any younger or is even happy being here. Upgrade the C & RG position. Draft a Tackle with upside & Pass rusher(Smith) while resigning Freeman, Vinateri, Fleener & Allen. And upgrade our 2nd starting CB. With a healthy Luck & upgraded line I have no doubts about the Colts being a contender next year to be in the big dance. GO COLTS!

23 minutes ago, COLTBLUE42 said:

No no no. Is Forte a solid back still? Yes.

Will it hurt to see a team like the Patriots or another Contender grab him? Yes.

This team needs to focus on the future so Luck doesn't have any reason to leave. Getting someone like Miller from MIA or drafting Elliot from Ohio State would be a start in the right direction since it seems like Gore isn't getting any younger or is even happy being here. Upgrade the C & RG position. Draft a Tackle with upside & Pass rusher(Smith) while resigning Freeman, Vinateri, Fleener & Allen. And upgrade our 2nd starting CB. With a healthy Luck & upgraded line I have no doubts about the Colts being a contender next year to be in the big dance. GO COLTS!

We need go defense in the draft. Or mostly D anyways. Drafting Elliott would mean passing on a defensive player who could be a cornerstone piece for several year. Whether its a corner like Alexander or Apple, or a pass rusher like Floyd or Spence. Yeah we do need to get younger and build for the future. But one signing like Forte wouldn't be that big a deal. And like I said, next year is a loaded class for RB's. Forte and Gore could give us a really good run game for a year.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

We need go defense in the draft. Or mostly D anyways. Drafting Elliott would mean passing on a defensive player who could be a cornerstone piece for several year. Whether its a corner like Alexander or Apple, or a pass rusher like Floyd or Spence. Yeah we do need to get younger and build for the future. But one signing like Forte wouldn't be that big a deal. And like I said, next year is a loaded class for RB's. Forte and Gore could give us a really good run game for a year.

Think about what are Defensive line will look like with Anderson, Langford, Parry, Jones & whoever is left. They had a pretty good year last until a injury set them back. Our inside linebackers were solid too, all we need is a upgrade at outside LB & a 2nd CB. With luck back & better than ever we can have that high power offense we should have but we need to adjust the line & give the franchise a RB to replace gore. If trading up in the late first round is a option we should take it!

52 minutes ago, Booker23 said:

And I'd rather have Doug Martin than all 3 of them but sadly Tampa will re-sign them 

Martin's been great at times. But has been injured and inconsistent. Lamar Miller has averaged over 4 YPC every year he's been in the league. Including 5.1 and 4.5 the last 2 seasons. And the Dolphins didn't have a good OL. Think about what he would do behind a good OL and more caries. Of course in order for him to have a good OL we'd have to get a new G and C. But Miller could be a top 10 back in the league IMO.

On 1/22/2016 at 5:41 AM, antipatriot said:

So what is the vet min,?

I could roll with having Matt Forte, but I am not keen on the idea of having two 30 year plus old running backs.  Lamar Miller has speed but I don't think he's the type of back that can bang the football on tough runs.  Pure speed guy to me, but he is the kind of back that fits a zone blocking scheme I'll say that.

Just now, krunk said:

I could roll with having Matt Forte, but I am not keen on the idea of having two 30 year plus old running backs.  Lamar Miller has speed but I don't think he's a number one back, or the type of back that can bang the football on tough runs.  Pure speed guy to me, but he is the kind of back that fits a zone blocking scheme I'll say that.

Im a Bears fan second to the Colts ,my wife and I don't want him on either team. Hes great in open field but not a physical back. Is good catching and running. We need a good all purpose back and as you say not 30 or over. 

6 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Im a Bears fan second to the Colts ,my wife and I don't want him on either team. Hes great in open field but not a physical back. Is good catching and running. We need a good all purpose back and as you say not 30 or over. 

I think matching Lamar Miller with Frank Gore is something Grigson will definitely look into.  I think the Dolphins line was worse than the Colts this season and Miller still ran for almost 900 yards.  He'd be the guy we could look to on those third downs instead of Gore.  He's got nice 4.4 speed and i didn't realize he was 225lbs,  I thought he was smaller than that.  Picking up Miller would keep us from having to invest a draft pick on a running back.  Miller probably is the best fit to put along side Gore.  As much as Grigson loves speed I think he will go that route too.  It won't surprise me at all to see him end up in Indy.  A good zone blocking scheme with Miller, Gore, and Andrew Luck sounds real good.  We have a lot of offensive selling points too when you look at our Offensive Coordinator and O Line coaches.  As long as he's not asking for too much money I think there is a real decent chance he'd end up in Indy unless the Dolphins want to pay the money to keep him in Miami.