Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: City, NFL Scouting Combine nearing 5-year contract agreement

bababooey

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It does bring in quite a bit of money along with the notoriety of the sports networks being there. A few hundred player, agents, team personnel is only part of it. You have the network crews, the communication crews and security crews. Every time someone watches the combine it gives Indy a positive hit and leads to other things. It advertises the city and therefor brings in money from other sources. I don't understand why you feel the need to downplay the event. You seem to think it is a negative thing with the way you present yourself. Myself and a couple of other forum members have tried to explain why having the combine in Indy is a good thing but your argumentative replies have become lame.

I'm downplaying it because some of these geniuses think that hosting a Super Bowl is on par with hosting the combine.

20 minutes ago, peytonmanning18 said:

I'm downplaying it because some of these geniuses think that hosting a Super Bowl is on par with hosting the combine.

If that is the case then why argue? Just because you think another poster is not of your opinion it seems it's not worth arguing about. Not everyones opinion or point of view is going to be yours and disagreeing with it after both point are made is useless.

12 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

People that are suggesting the NFL would give Indy another Super Bowl in exchange for taking the combine are insane.  If Indy gets another Super Bowl it will have nothing to do with the combine.  Who cares where they do the combine?

The combine brings in huge dollars to the city

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The NFL needs to stop trying to force a major presence in LA. It's not going to work. I bet $10 that the LA Rams won't even sell out season tickets. The proposed 2019 Englewood stadium will generate more revenue from non-football related activities.

Moving the combine to LA would be a terrible idea. Or having it anywhere but Indy. I trust Irsay will fight like hell to keep the Combine. I'm all in favor of them moving the draft though. I got tired of all the NY sports fans. Terrible crowd IMO. I'd put it in Atlanta which is surrounded by big football states.

So you think the NFL should ignore the 2nd biggest TV market in the U.S?  They will definitely sell tickets just to see the new digs but that is irrelevant to just having a pretense there.  

Maybe you are right about the stadium generating more revenue from non-football activities - but again - that is meaningless because without the NFL, there is no stadium there.  

Now I love Indy but the suggestion that the combine anywhere but here is a terrible idea seems, you know, kind of wrong.  

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

So you think the NFL should ignore the 2nd biggest TV market in the U.S?  They will definitely sell tickets just to see the new digs but that is irrelevant to just having a pretense there.  

Maybe you are right about the stadium generating more revenue from non-football activities - but again - that is meaningless because without the NFL, there is no stadium there.  

Now I love Indy but the suggestion that the combine anywhere but here is a terrible idea seems, you know, kind of wrong.  

There might be another city capable of hosting the combine as well as Indy.  However, the thing about Indy is the entire city focuses on this event when it's in town, including hotels, restaurants and Methodist hospital.  We treat it very similar to the Final 4.

I'm hopeful for another 5 years.

12 hours ago, jskinnz said:

The T.V. Market in LA is huge, but the football market isn't. Everything is big in LA except football. Hell, the LA Galaxy are generating great revenue and they're a soccer team. I don't think they can just turn LA into a football hotspot like they want.

I'm not saying ignore the LA market but I'm just not in favor of them trying to sell LA to us. A combine and draft in LA wouldn't be the best of ideas. Big media markets do have their cons as well as pros.

I'm sure it will get moved....just as the draft did. That said I think the Pro Bowl will be held annually there and the draft more than likely. Hollywood stars...star athletes...beautiful venue...makes sense. Hopefully we can keep the combine as our facilities are nice and we have a lot of good hotels close by and we have run it so well in the past. I understand making LA a crown jewel for the league.....the Kronke location was specifically designed for this and its location and ability to drive entertainment value etc was why it was chosen. Hopefully hosting national championship football games, SBs, pro bowls, drafts, and maybe an Olympics will be enough...let us keep our little combine lol...because I mean Indiana is synonymous with combines....right?

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The T.V. Market in LA is huge, but the football market isn't. Everything is big in LA except football. Hell, the LA Galaxy are generating great revenue and they're a soccer team. I don't think they can just turn LA into a football hotspot like they want.

I'm not saying ignore the LA market but I'm just not in favor of them trying to sell LA to us. A combine and draft in LA wouldn't be the best of ideas. Big media markets do have their cons as well as pros.

The corporate dollars alone are enough to keep a team afloat easily. Even if the team doesn't sell out there is enough corporate sponsers to buy tickets and advertisements that LA should have NO PROBLEM supporting the team. That said even if the product is semi-successful I think fans will support it. Even the Clippers who had no following once they put a good product on the court have expanded their support.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sorry,  but you're too young to remember how hot a ticket USC Football was when Pete Carroll was there.

And it's been more than 20 years since LA had a football team,  and BOTH were very, very badly run franchises that had lost connection to the fan base.

LA will do fine as a Pro Football Market if it gets the right owner and fields a competitive team.

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry,  but you're too young to remember how hot a ticket USC Football was when Pete Carroll was there.

And it's been more than 20 years since LA had a football team,  and BOTH were very, very badly run franchises that had lost connection to the fan base.

LA will do fine as a Pro Football Market if it gets the right owner and fields a competitive team.

The Rams are a qb and a coach away from being special. It also will be a destination for free agents too with the marketing potential. Success breeds success. Not sure Kronkie is THAT guy to bring success to that town but I agree with what you said though.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The Rams are a qb and a coach away from being special. It also will be a destination for free agents too with the marketing potential. Success breeds success. Not sure Kronkie is THAT guy to bring success to that town but I agree with what you said though.

I think he's doing a good job with the Rams, with the exception of Fisher. And it's not that Fisher is a terrible coach, but he's not that good. Given the circumstances, I understand not changing the staff right now. Some stability is needed for that team right now, and Fisher has been through this move business before. He might also be due for a good season, though I wouldn't hold my breath there. They need a QB and a WR, and they're in business.

As for all this 'LA is bad for football' stuff, I just don't see it. The market is hot, the venue is going to be incredible, and they got a team that already has SoCal ties. I think it's going to work well.

Most of sports talk radio are saying it is already a done deal that the combine is going permanently to LA along with the NFL network, NFL films and NFL offices all in the campus they are building around that stadium.  Look at the plans if you can find them, it is pretty breathtaking.  It likely will be the #1 stadium/sports media/sporting and entertainment facility and campus in the world when they are done.  They are building a special place to hold drafts and permanent accommodations for the combine etc.  They have already said it will likely host every 4th Super Bowl similar to Indy hosting the final 4 regularly.  I hate to lose the combine, but I understand the business decision behind it. 

29 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Most of sports talk radio are saying it is already a done deal that the combine is going permanently to LA along with the NFL network, NFL films and NFL offices all in the campus they are building around that stadium.  Look at the plans if you can find them, it is pretty breathtaking.  It likely will be the #1 stadium/sports media/sporting and entertainment facility and campus in the world when they are done.  They are building a special place to hold drafts and permanent accommodations for the combine etc.  They have already said it will likely host every 4th Super Bowl similar to Indy hosting the final 4 regularly.  I hate to lose the combine, but I understand the business decision behind it. 

For what it's worth, and I'm speaking as a former media guy here.....

But....    "Sports Talk Radio" is an absolutely, positively, 100% lousy, Lousy, LOUSY place to get any serious information.      Seriously,   not kidding.     Most people who work in sports talk radio are not people who pay attention to details.    They're into big broad sweeping generalizations.   

Sports Talk Radio is like the game of "telephone."     One person has information and they tell one person.  And then the info starts going to a number of other people and by the time it moves down the line to the end,  the information does not resemble what was originally started with.

Sports Talk Radio is style over substance.     It's heat rather than light.    It's generating controversy when there is none.     

Part of what makes Indianapolis a good place for the combine is that it's roughly in the geographic center of the NFL.      More teams have to travel a shorter distance.     More players have to travel a shorter distance.

Move the Combine to Los Angeles and the only teams and players that will be happy are on the West Coast.

Otherwise,  everyone else has a long, LONG way to travel.       Maybe it's moved there once every 10 years?

Maybe every 5 years?      But I think many more times than not,  the Combine will remain in Indy.

I'd be disappointed if that wasn't the case -- and I live in Los Angeles!

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I'm sure it will get moved....just as the draft did. That said I think the Pro Bowl will be held annually there and the draft more than likely. Hollywood stars...star athletes...beautiful venue...makes sense. Hopefully we can keep the combine as our facilities are nice and we have a lot of good hotels close by and we have run it so well in the past. I understand making LA a crown jewel for the league.....the Kronke location was specifically designed for this and its location and ability to drive entertainment value etc was why it was chosen. Hopefully hosting national championship football games, SBs, pro bowls, drafts, and maybe an Olympics will be enough...let us keep our little combine lol...because I mean Indiana is synonymous with combines....right?

Yep...combines.

john+deere+s670.jpg

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth, and I'm speaking as a former media guy here.....

But....    "Sports Talk Radio" is an absolutely, positively, 100% lousy, Lousy, LOUSY place to get any serious information.      Seriously,   not kidding.     Most people who work in sports talk radio are not people who pay attention to details.    They're into big broad sweeping generalizations.   

Sports Talk Radio is like the game of "telephone."     One person has information and they tell one person.  And then the info starts going to a number of other people and by the time it moves down the line to the end,  the information does not resemble what was originally started with.

Sports Talk Radio is style over substance.     It's heat rather than light.    It's generating controversy when there is none.     

Part of what makes Indianapolis a good place for the combine is that it's roughly in the geographic center of the NFL.      More teams have to travel a shorter distance.     More players have to travel a shorter distance.

Move the Combine to Los Angeles and the only teams and players that will be happy are on the West Coast.

Otherwise,  everyone else has a long, LONG way to travel.       Maybe it's moved there once every 10 years?

Maybe every 5 years?      But I think many more times than not,  the Combine will remain in Indy.

I'd be disappointed if that wasn't the case -- and I live in Los Angeles!

Well, I saw it on ESPN, FOX SPORTS, NBC SN and parts of it on the NFL Network, all on TV (2 were radio simulcasts, Dan Patrick and Colin Cowherd (which is where I heard all the pieces put together).  Oh, and the also talked about it on NFL Live, NFL Insiders, Pro Football Talk and I saw it tweeted and via facebook on several other journalists comments.  Not all of them had ALL the pieces, but several did and the rest had various parts.  So I would think it more likely than not to be true.  I also saw the actual presentation footage showing the NFL Network and NFL Films offices, the amazing stadium with a giant pool surrounded by the campus and a planned spot for the venue to hold the drafts specifically).  Not sure how it was all false and rumors.  Too many sources and Architecture plans and of course the approval which was said to have happened thanks entirely to the Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.  Their first ballot was open and face to face and it failed 20-12.  Then Jerry spoke to each owner and they came back with a secret ballot and the result was 30-2 with the San Diego and Oakland owners voting against and feeling betrayed by the owners who had promised to vote their way but on the secret ballot knifed them in the back.  Did you really miss ALL the coverage? 

38 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well, I saw it on ESPN, FOX SPORTS, NBC SN and parts of it on the NFL Network, all on TV (2 were radio simulcasts, Dan Patrick and Colin Cowherd (which is where I heard all the pieces put together).  Oh, and the also talked about it on NFL Live, NFL Insiders, Pro Football Talk and I saw it tweeted and via facebook on several other journalists comments.  Not all of them had ALL the pieces, but several did and the rest had various parts.  So I would think it more likely than not to be true.  I also saw the actual presentation footage showing the NFL Network and NFL Films offices, the amazing stadium with a giant pool surrounded by the campus and a planned spot for the venue to hold the drafts specifically).  Not sure how it was all false and rumors.  Too many sources and Architecture plans and of course the approval which was said to have happened thanks entirely to the Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.  Their first ballot was open and face to face and it failed 20-12.  Then Jerry spoke to each owner and they came back with a secret ballot and the result was 30-2 with the San Diego and Oakland owners voting against and feeling betrayed by the owners who had promised to vote their way but on the secret ballot knifed them in the back.  Did you really miss ALL the coverage? 

Sorry....   I thought you were talking about local sports talk radio.

But even national talk radio is Big Picture and not smaller details.   I'm sure they mentioned Super Bowls and Pro Bowls as well.     Those make more sense.    Moving the combine doesn't make much sense to me.

I watch ESPN and NFL Network.    It may have been mentioned, but at the same time I think there's a thread currently running here that says the NFL is signing a new 5-year agreement with Indy.    Does that sound like the combine is ready to move?

I'm only going by instincts now.    Could the combine move?    Sure,  the draft did.    But it didn't move permanently.    I think more times than not, it will be in New York.

So, again,  could the combine be in LA from time to time?    Sure.    But I'd be surprised and disappointed if it moved there permanently.     Why?    It's all about what happens indoors, not the overall location.   So what's the advantage for Indy?   Who cares about the weather,  that's outside, not inside.    

And Indy has a much better location for more athletes,  more NFL personnel -- everyone.   It's more centrally located.    Shorter trips for more key people.    LA is a long haul for more people.     Doesn't add up to me.

And remember,  I live here....   so I'm arguing against my own self interest.....

Just thinking out loud.....

7 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Indy has an advantage of being somewhat centrally located though.  

You need a stadium with a roof, but being centrally located is also something that's fairly important.  

We'll see but I think it's in Indy for the forseeable future.

I wonder if the soon to be NFL prospects have to find their own way to the combine or if travel is paid for them.

35 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

I wonder if the soon to be NFL prospects have to find their own way to the combine or if travel is paid for them.

I would not be surprised if they have to find their own way.  I believe they have to pay a fee to be in the combine in the first place as well.

30 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Indy has an advantage of being somewhat centrally located though.  

You need a stadium with a roof, but being centrally located is also something that's fairly important.  

We'll see but I think it's in Indy for the forseeable future.

The NFL has proven they care about nothing else if they can make a buck time and time again.  This is a five year deal to keep it here until the new stadium is ready in LA.  Now granted a lot can change in five years but I expect it will go to LA after this five year deal is up.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

The NFL has proven they care about nothing else if they can make a buck time and time again.  This is a five year deal to keep it here until the new stadium is ready in LA.  Now granted a lot can change in five years but I expect it will go to LA after this five year deal is up.

Question. . . How does the location of the combine affect the NFL's profitability?

Almost no one buys tickets to go watch the combine in person.  I'm not even sure you can go watch the combine in person.  And watching it on TV is going to make them the same amount no matter if it's in LA, NY, Indy, or some high school football field in the middle of no where.

I don't live in Indy but does the NFL use the combine to market itself to the general public in Indy specifically?

My theory is that Indy is the location of the combine due to it's centralized location and an indoor stadium space (preventing weather from affecting the scheduling or performances at the combine)  Now you can find other indoor stadiums . . and you can find more centralized locations too.  But where is there both a more centralized location AND an indoor NFL stadium?

I don't think the combine will be moving to LA.  The combine isn't something they really make money off of people coming to watch and because of that it makes the same money no matter where it's being held.  

The combine is very different from most other NFL events.  It needs to be centralized because thousands of people have to come.  NFL staffs from 31 teams (the home location's team doesn't need to travel far), All the athletes participating, journalists from all over, and all of the staff that you need to run the combine.  It's in the NFL's best interests to make travel for these people as easy as possible.  Therefore a centralized location is ideal.  No one is paying to come watch from the stands just for the sheer joy of it.  Even the journalists are going to be more interested in doing interviews with top players then watching the action on the field.

The only real money making part of it is the TV bit but I doubt even this gets much money since it's only run on NFL network.  You don't see the big national networks offering multi-billion dollar contracts to host the combine.  Hosting the combine isn't even that big of a marketing tool in a particular city because the general public doesn't really come in the first place.

Until there is a more ideal location or Indy's stadium starts to become considered a 'lower tier' NFL stadium or Indy decides to build the Colts a new open air stadium and tear down Lucas Oil it will likely stay in Indy.  It is the most logical place to host it.  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

It's a media event. LA is a huge media hub. That means increased exposure and coverage, which means ratings, which means profitability. 

The media will cover whatever it's readers/viewers want it to cover.  The media's not going to be like "Oh it's in LA now so we're gonna cover it more then before."

55 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

The media will cover whatever it's readers/viewers want it to cover.  The media's not going to be like "Oh it's in LA now so we're gonna cover it more then before."

The media is made up of tons of different outlets, many of which have nothing to do with sports. They all decide what to cover on their own. But those outlets will eagerly cover a sports event in LA because it's in LA, where they wouldn't have covered it another city. They'll also cover auxiliary angles and stories that the sports outlets won't. 

I don't particularly care about all that stuff, but some people do. More eyeballs is the name of the game.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:51 PM, DougDew said:

How does the NFL make money off of the combine?  it doesn't sell tickets or broadcast the event and therefore does not sell air time.  I suppose the NFL gives its own network something to talk about so they indirectly make money off of advertising it gets from that, but where the venue is doesn't really impact it.

The NFL treats the combine as a business meeting and not an event...only the media and fans treat it like an event.  Having it in Indy for business reasons makes sense.

Spending money to make money. The NFL makes money from fans who pay attention to the combine that are interested in the college players coming into the pros. You have to sell your goods to the people who spend money.

On January 14, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Superman said:

I think he's doing a good job with the Rams, with the exception of Fisher. And it's not that Fisher is a terrible coach, but he's not that good. Given the circumstances, I understand not changing the staff right now. Some stability is needed for that team right now, and Fisher has been through this move business before. He might also be due for a good season, though I wouldn't hold my breath there. They need a QB and a WR, and they're in business.

As for all this 'LA is bad for football' stuff, I just don't see it. The market is hot, the venue is going to be incredible, and they got a team that already has SoCal ties. I think it's going to work well.

I mean the corporate dollars are just endless. The advertising...tv dollars..marketing...so many companies buying tickets etc and it can only improve attracting free agents...but the team on the field is so undisciplined and lacks leadership...and they don't get it from their coach. He may stumble into a winning record but I won't hold my breath. As for Kronckie....how many winning seasons has he had since taking over in ST Louis....he wasn't the owner when they won the SB..I think he has put a winning team on the field like only a couple times...and keeping Fisher and letting him bring in Williams...ehhh I don't have much faith in Kronkie. LA will be successful...not sure it will be Kronkie and Fisher to bring it. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Kronkie sells the team after he gets them in their new home....especially after what Balmer paid for the Clippers...it's about the money for that guy.

23 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Spending money to make money. The NFL makes money from fans who pay attention to the combine that are interested in the college players coming into the pros. You have to sell your goods to the people who spend money.

IDK how much it's based off of money made from the combine but more of a cost of doing business of finding and scouting the best players.  I really don't see the combine as much of a money maker.  They will get what they can from it, but I don't see NBC, ABC or Fox lining up with million or billion dollar contracts for broadcasting rights to the combine.

On 1/15/2016 at 0:00 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I would not be surprised if they have to find their own way.  I believe they have to pay a fee to be in the combine in the first place as well.

Travel meals and lodging is paid for by the league to all the combine participants 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

IDK how much it's based off of money made from the combine but more of a cost of doing business of finding and scouting the best players.  I really don't see the combine as much of a money maker.  They will get what they can from it, but I don't see NBC, ABC or Fox lining up with million or billion dollar contracts for broadcasting rights to the combine.

Isn't just a different way of saying spending money to make money?