Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Funny about the Texans

tomloge

Funny how the last month or so of the regular season there was a lot of talk in the media about how well the Texans came on and reversed their terrible start.  People were talking as though the Texans were an elite team.   While I know they improved, the only reason they made the playoffs is because the Colts sucked big time.  Had the Colts been slightly better the Colts would be in.  Of course, now that I opened my big mouth, watch the Texans win it all!  That will teach me to shut up.

51 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

If O'Brien had stayed with Hoyer as the starting QB, as he should have, the AFC South wouldn't have been as close.  Give credit where it's due.  They were better than we were this year

By better do you mean a better record, or better team? Or both? Because they did finish with a better record and what not, however I would argue the fact that we were the better team, and honestly I think we could of done more damage in the playoffs then what they will do. 

57 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

If O'Brien had stayed with Hoyer as the starting QB, as he should have, the AFC South wouldn't have been as close.  Give credit where it's due.  They were better than we were this year

Disagree, respectfully. Give me Freeman and Lindley in that game instead of beat up Hasselbeck and Clipboard Jesus and we are in the playoffs. Could have gone either way. If we had Luck for playoffs then we are better than they are.

9 minutes ago, Vinatieri4 said:

By better do you mean a better record, or better team? Or both? Because they did finish with a better record and what not, however I would argue the fact that we were the better team, and honestly I think we could of done more damage in the playoffs then what they will do. 

Better record, better team, whatever you wanna call it.  At the end of the day, they won the division and made the playoffs while we didn't.

3 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Disagree, respectfully. Give me Freeman and Lindley in that game instead of beat up Hasselbeck and Clipboard Jesus and we are in the playoffs. Could have gone either way. If we had Luck for playoffs then we are better than they are.

Perhaps for that one game, but the way we played this year, we didn't deserve to win the division.  The New Orleans and Carolina games come to mind right away when thinking of games we could/should have won, but didn't.  The Texans aren't perfect and I don't expect them to go far in the playoffs, but we didn't deserve to make the playoffs or win the division.  We didn't play well enough consistently.  You could say that we could have won with Freeman and Lindley, but it remains possible that the Texans would have won 10 games if they stuck with Hoyer all year, meaning that game would have been irrelevant.

Not trying to pour salt in the wound of the season we endured, but I don't see how it's justified to mock the Texans when they are in the playoffs and won the division and the Colts aren't/didn't.

12 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Better record, better team, whatever you wanna call it.  At the end of the day, they won the division and made the playoffs while we didn't.

I don't think a better record means you have a better team, or whatever I want to call it. Because at the end of the day, there are many things that impact a teams record. For example, who the team faces, if they have a tougher schedule and what not. The next thing you have to look at is when each team plays the common opponent. For example, lets say the Bills played the Colts mid season right when Andrew Luck came back, I bet the Colts would of won that game.. Maybe the Colts got unlucky and played a few teams like the Bills at a perfect time so they could get a win thus affecting our record.

Now with all that being said, you are correct that they did win the division, and made the playoffs HOWEVER, I would say we are the better team.    Lets be realistic here, if the Colts played the Texans in the wildcard this week, do you honestly think the Colts would lose that game? 

I guess in my humble opinion if the Colts and Texans played 10 weeks in a row, we would win about Seven of the Ten games....

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on it though. 

5 minutes ago, Vinatieri4 said:

I don't think a better record means you have a better team, or whatever I want to call it. Because at the end of the day, there are many things that impact a teams record. For example, who the team faces, if they have a tougher schedule and what not. The next thing you have to look at is when each team plays the common opponent. For example, lets say the Bills played the Colts mid season right when Andrew Luck came back, I bet the Colts would of won that game.. Maybe the Colts got unlucky and played a few teams like the Bills at a perfect time so they could get a win thus affecting our record.

Now with all that being said, you are correct that they did win the division, and made the playoffs HOWEVER, I would say we are the better team.    Lets be realistic here, if the Colts played the Texans in the wildcard this week, do you honestly think the Colts would lose that game? 

I guess in my humble opinion if the Colts and Texans played 10 weeks in a row, we would win about Seven of the Ten games....

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on it though. 

I don't think I disagree with your sentiment.  A fully healthy Colts team is better than a fully healthy Texans team, in my opinion.  However, the teams faced different adversity and responded in different ways.  All I'm trying to say is we didn't do enough to win our division and make the playoffs while the Texans did.  Going into all the other stuff about when we face common opponents is nitpicking, in my opinion.  No excuses, we didn't do well enough during the season to make the playoffs whereas the Texans did.

1 hour ago, tomloge said:

Funny how the last month or so of the regular season there was a lot of talk in the media about how well the Texans came on and reversed their terrible start.  People were talking as though the Texans were an elite team.   While I know they improved, the only reason they made the playoffs is because the Colts sucked big time.  Had the Colts been slightly better the Colts would be in.  Of course, now that I opened my big mouth, watch the Texans win it all!  That will teach me to shut up.

What a ridiculous post.  

1)  They did reverse their terrible start

2)  Who are these people you refer to?  Nobody with an ounce of football IQ thinks Houston is elite.

3)  Who freaking cares that they made it solely to the Colts sucking?  They beat Indy in Indy - scoreboard.

4)  If the Colts were slightly better... If my my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle...  The fact the Colts had their chances in that game and did not take advantage.  They were not and are not playing this weekend.   

28 minutes ago, James Harden said:

Maybe the Colts should volunteer themselves to be on Hard Knocks for the next upcoming season. Looks like the Hard Knock curse is gone. I would love to see an in depth look inside the Colts organization. 

By rule the Colts cant be on Hard Knocks.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think the Chiefs go into Houston and come out with a win. Anything can happen but IMO Kansas City is better than Houston by a pretty good amount. If Houston wins I will give them their kudos and move on.

Going to be hard for Houston imo especially losing d.brown. I see them getting blown out chiefs on a 10 win streak so will be tough for Houston.

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why's that?  I thought the rule was unless a team had a new HC or they made the playoffs, they could actually be forced to be on HK if no other team volunteered.  I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

Most of the posts here are dead on. The Colts beat themselves during the season. Just take a look at the turnovers & penalties alone. Pretty good indicator of the season 8-8. In addition, without your starting franchise QB for most of the season (even when Luck played, you can tell something was waaaay off) it doesn't bode very well for a positive outcome. And, that goes for the rest of the NFL teams that certainly require a franchise QB to lead them into the Playoffs. 

With that said, it is my opinion that the AFC South will become a formidable Division very shortly. It's not going to be a cake-walk like the previous multiple seasons. Houston, Tennessee, & Jacksonville are getting better. They will continue that aspect. All the more reason to create this so called, "Monster" ASAP. We had a very good start to that by dropping the DC. Defensive football is the catalyst that carries an offensive powerhouse to the promised land. We just turned onto that road. Now, it's up to the organization to drive that road like our hair is on fire.

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry man, you're correct.  By rule, teams that have made the playoffs in the last TWO years are not compelled to be selected.  I think they can still volunteer, but outside of the Cowboys, no teams wants to do it.

Personally, I'd love to see the Colts on HK.  I've watched every season and no team really gives anything away that could be useful to the competitors.

48 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Sorry man, you're correct.  By rule, teams that have made the playoffs in the last TWO years are not compelled to be selected.  I think they can still volunteer, but outside of the Cowboys, no teams wants to do it.

Personally, I'd love to see the Colts on HK.  I've watched every season and no team really gives anything away that could be useful to the competitors.

To each his own but I have always believed in what's in house stays in house. It is human nature to either change what you say or how you act knowing there is a camera and a microphone in your face. I also understand why Hard Knocks is so popular with fans wanting more insight into the workings of an NFL team especially when active games are not being played. It's just not my cup of tea.

We both had adversity at the QB position. The difference was that Houston Is a defensive oriented team and played through it with a fourth string journeyman QB. We are an offensively minded team so the loss of our franchise QB really hurt. Do you think Houston beats us here or makes the playoffs if they lose JJ for 8 games?

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

What a ridiculous post.  

2)  Who are these people you refer to?  Nobody with an ounce of football IQ thinks Houston is elite.

3)  Who freaking cares that they made it solely to the Colts sucking?  They beat Indy in Indy - scoreboard.

4)  If the Colts were slightly better... If my my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle...  The fact the Colts had their chances in that game and did not take advantage.  They were not and are not playing this weekend.   

It's not a ridiculous post. Just my thoughts.  Obviously you don't agree and you don't have to agree.    It's been mentioned quite a few times in the past month on sports radio shows and on a bunch of these football pre-game shows on Sundays. As the Colts were declining and getting slaughtered people were jumping on the Houston bandwagon.    I understand the Texans improved later in the year.  But lets face it, had the Colts not sucked like they did Houston wouldn't be in the playoffs.  That's all I'm saying.  

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

What a ridiculous post.  

Also, FYI-I did not say that anyone "said" the Texans were an elite team.  No one said that.  What I was saying was that people in the media were acting as though the Texans were an elite team.  Learn how to read and comprehend.

The Texans are a solid team when they show up defensively. I won't be surpised at all if they beat the Chiefs this weekend either.

We had a rough year and so did they but they pulled it together in the end. I do think though if Luck can stay healthy all next year and we make some adjustments that the two of us can battle it out again for another season.

At the very least we have some legit competition in the South to work with here and can't stay complacent.

6 hours ago, bababooey said:

Didn't the Texans ice the game by going on a 90 yard drive with Brandon Weeden playing QB?  Brandon Weeden.....

40 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Didn't the Texans ice the game by going on a 90 yard drive with Brandon Weeden playing QB?  Brandon Weeden.....

Thats what I kept saying, Weeden is going to find a way to lose this game.  But he played mistake free while Griff and MH made the fatal mistakes.