Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defining Moment for Jim Irsay - It is time to listen to the fans

BlueShoe

Owners should very seldom listen to the fans. However, there is that rare moment in history when an owner cannot see what fans do. Sometimes a person is just too close to the situation to fully understand what it looks like from afar.

This is the one time for Jim Irsay to open his sensors and listen to the fans.

The Colts fans consensus is to keep Chuck Pagano and fire Ryan Grigson. And the fans have it right this time. If Chuck is included in the GM vetting process then keeping him will work.

The players are also starting to speak.

Make good choices Mr. Irsay. The Andrew Luck era is at stake with this one decision.

If you choose Grigson and he fails then you deserve all of the hell from fans that will surely come your way. Count me (Mr. Brightside for the past 30 years) as one who will publicly smear your decision to keep the inept Grigson around.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you underestimate his ability to take what we think into consideration. He seems to be a pretty social guy.

However, that doesn't mean he's going to follow what you perceive to be the consensus. It may be the consensus of what we read, but it's limited to this forum, and only to what has been made vocal.

We have no idea what's REALLY going on, and I have to trust he's going to do what's right for the horseshoe at this point in time.

4 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I think you underestimate his ability to take what we think into consideration. He seems to be a pretty social guy.

However, that doesn't mean he's going to follow what you perceive to be the consensus. It may be the consensus of what we read, but it's limited to this forum, and only to what has been made vocal.

We have no idea what's REALLY going on, and I have to trust he's going to do what's right for the horseshoe at this point in time.

Social Media is all over keeping Pagano and firing Grigson. Overwhelming fan support to keep Pagano and fire Grigson was even reported on NFL Network a few moments ago.

Irsay is too close to the Grigson family. He needs to take a step back and look at this from afar. I fear he will make a decision based on a friendship with Ryan Grigson.

1 minute ago, coltsva said:

Let's hope our owner pays no attention to fans and forums, and makes his decisions based on his day to day interactions with the coaching staff, GM and players. 

Yeah. Because that didn't lead to any train wrecks. 

No one is saying that Jim Irsay should run the team according to the fans opinions. But the fans are right this time. 

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

LOL look, I may have my opinions on things and think I know more than I really do.  But at no point in time should any fan, knowledgeable or not, say that the owner or anyone else involved in the direction of the team should listen to the fans.  

That's how you end up with this:

JOHNNY.0.gif

Are you saying that Chuck Pagano is a drunk who has been given several chances to prove he has the character it takes to lead a team?

Not even close to the same thing. 

We are talking about fans crying out to keep a beloved head coach. 

Not even a nice try.

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Are you saying that Chuck Pagano is a drunk who has been given several chances to prove he has the character it takes to lead a team?

Not even a nice try.

You're being very melodramatic. 

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Not even a nice try.

??? I posted a picture of a fan with a Manziel shirt..  I'm not sure how what I'm saying is elluding you.  The guy is who all Browns fans wanted.  Google gif browns fans reactions to manziel pick.  It was clear that the franchise did what the fans wanted (perhaps not because that's what they wanted, but still, what they wanted nonetheless).  And they wasted a perfectly good 1st round pick.  No owner should ever do what the fans want just because that's what they wanted.  I don't even know why this is a debate in the first place.

Just now, NBColtsFanatic said:

What's taking so long. Agh I've been on Twitter all day waiting for a response lol 

Hopefully Jim Irsay is having a moment of clarity and has decided to meet with Grigson to thank him for the last 4 years. 

Pagano should be given a chance to abandon his DC and OL coaches and stick around and make it work with Grigson, IMO. Knee jerk reactions do not translate to success all the time.

Chud should be given an entire offseason to implement his whole playbook with Luck, IMO, as well. Grigson, I feel is turning the corner, and with having to pay Luck, will have to take chances on the draft more than free agency and it may not be a bad thing.

I think Pagano stays.  Maybe Irsay is asking what Pagano has in store, hearing his side of the story and telling Chuck what he wants from him. I would think he would give Chuck a 2 year extension, and if they miss playoffs next year he's gone.   Maybe the terms of the deal would be that Chuck gets to pick his new staff, who knows..

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

??? I posted a picture of a fan with a Manziel jersey.  I'm not sure how what I'm saying is elluding you.  The guy is who all Browns fans wanted.  Google gif browns fans reactions to manziel pick.  It was clear that the franchise did what the fans wanted (perhaps not because that's what they wanted, but still, what they wanted nonetheless).  And they wasted a perfectly good 1st round pick.  No owner should ever do what the fans want.  I don't even know why this is a debate in the first place.

Your example of fans backing Manziel compared to Pagano is horrible. 

Not even close. Not even in the same ball park. Hell, not even on the same planet.

In my minds eye, I think Mr. Irsay has a very high football IQ. With regards to hiring Grigson, he hedged his bets a little. Grigson seems to be a know-it-all type of personality, who's more in love with his title, more so than doing his due diligence. JMO of course. I think Pagano has the ability to grow as a coach, he just needs to learn how to make in-game adjustments better(coach Dungy was very good at this).  

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Your example of fans backing Manziel compared to Pagano is horrible. 

Not even close. Not even in the same ball park. Hell, not even on the same planet.

Okay, you're really holding on to that picture which was really more for comedic value than anything else.  The analogy is irrelevant.  The bottom line is the fans don't knwo jack compared to the people who do this stuff for a living.  Ignore the picture and respond to this isntead:

12 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

LOL look, I may have my opinions on things and think I know more than I really do.  But at no point in time should any fan, knowledgeable or not, say that the owner should listen to the fans.  

Because what you are saying is ridiculous.  I might have made a bad analogy about Manziel (which wasn't even the point), but your overal point of Irsay doing what the fans want is more ridiculous than that.

3 minutes ago, Vinatieri4 said:

I think Pagano stays.  Maybe Irsay is asking what Pagano has in store, hearing his side of the story and telling Chuck what he wants from him. I would think he would give Chuck a 2 year extension, and if they miss playoffs next year he's gone.   Maybe the terms of the deal would be that Chuck gets to pick his new staff, who knows..

This would be in the direction of good business decisions. 

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Not even a nice try.

Wow, so Pagano is "beloved" now? Since when, like a week ago? Bill Belichick is beloved in New England, Pagano in Indy, not so much. Huge difference. Fans were calling for Chuck's head 10 weeks ago after the Pats game, now all the sudden he's "beloved" after 1 Bob Kravitz article?

At the end of the day both Grigson and Pagano have had faults. If Jim thinks he can appoint a better/more experienced GM and coach then he should. He took a chance on a first time GM and first time coach though who mind you are both clearly learning on the job and with that will come problems neither have had to face and decisions both have to learn to work out

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Wow, so Pagano is "beloved" now? Since when, like a week ago? Bill Belichick is beloved in New England, Pagano in Indy, not so much. Huge difference. Fans were calling for Chuck's head 10 weeks ago after the Pats game, now all the sudden he's "beloved" after 1 Bob Kravitz article?

Yeah, folks have also been saying Pagano has been releasing info to Kravitz about Grigson contributing to more rumors about tension between them.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Pagano has been beloved in Indy ever since his battle for his life. We all felt that. 

The players love him and I have a feeling they are showing that love right now. Could be why Chuck is still a Colt.

1 minute ago, amfootball said:

Bill Parcells one said, "If you start listening to the fans soon you will be sitting with them."

Only if you listen to the bad ones. If Grigson had listened to me we probably would have won the Super Bowl this year tbqh /s

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Thanks for missing the boat. 

How is that missing the boat?  It's what you said!  Why all the sudden should they, in this one instance listen to the fans?  Because Irsay is too "close to the situation?"  How is that even an argument?  Because Pagano is beloved according to the fan consensus?  Says who?

But as far as listening to us fans on team issues, It would be better to listen to those whom Mr. Irsay has surrounded himself with in regards to long-term team development . Maybe he should listen to his daughters. Perhaps they can bring a "fresh" perspective. 

4 minutes ago, Gavin said:

At the end of the day both Grigson and Pagano have had faults. If Jim thinks he can appoint a better/more experienced GM and coach then he should. He took a chance on a first time GM and first time coach though who mind you are both clearly learning on the job and with that will come problems neither have had to face and decisions both have to learn to work out

Good points, I think the main point of all of this is if Pagano goes than there is no reason that Grigson should stay.  The fans seem to love Pagano, and more support him than Grigson.  This is all over social media and the standing ovation at the game yesterday would also support it.  But there is certainly a case to move on from Pagano.  It will be interesting to see how things play out.