Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

osweiler or peyton?

bap1331

1 hour ago, dynasty13 said:

Peyton Manning has the most interceptions this season and he's played in 6 fewer games than the next few guys on the list. 

When Peyton was starting, the Broncos were winning despite his poor play.

Brock has been fine for them and has proven he can beat the best the AFC has in both the elements AND the cold. 

Why anyone would want to take the ball away from him at this point is beyond me.

This plus 1.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still would roll with Peyton if he's healthy. His Football IQ and experience are far greater than Brock's is. Brock has never started in a Playoff game. Denver only put up 20 points last night so it's not like he played lights out. He was good enough but in reality it's a game Denver should've won being in MileHigh against AJ McCarron. Brock deserves good credit for beating the Patriots but even in that game the fumbled Punt by the Pats is the main reason why they lost and CJ won that game with a 50 Yard run. Peyton played Great against the Packers and Good against us even in a loss. So I can handpick games where Peyton played at least Good or better too.

Look I love Manning and what he did for the Colts and for Indy.  I go to games in a bright, shiny new stadium largely because of Manning.  I had the pleasure of going to two Super Bowls and made some of the best memories of my life in Miami because of Manning.  I have spent a large percentage of my expendable income on the Colts because of Manning so please don't take this as Manning bashing but...

he was healthy plenty of times and even with his football IQ & experience still led to many games in which he was a key reason his team lost in the playoffs.  Now his health is a major concern.  I just think it is very unlikely Denver trots him out there come January. 

This debate between Peyton vs Brock essentially evolves into mind vs mobility & Kubiak likes to run naked bootlegs a lot which basically puts Brock in the driver's seat. Okay, 18's arm strength isn't the greatest sure, but that never was his claim to fame-- anticipating throws, tremendous memory recall, & getting TEs & WRs in the right spot was. 

What would be fascinating to watch is if Brock had 1 more year on his rookie deal vs his final season now...

Brock has done better than I anticipated, but that Broncos defense is a nice luxury to have for any QB under center. 

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Look I love Manning and what he did for the Colts and for Indy.  I go to games in a bright, shiny new stadium largely because of Manning.  I had the pleasure of going to two Super Bowls and made some of the best memories of my life in Miami because of Manning.  I have spent a large percentage of my expendable income on the Colts because of Manning so please don't take this as Manning bashing but...

he was healthy plenty of times and even with his football IQ & experience still led to many games in which he was a key reason his team lost in the playoffs.  Now his health is a major concern.  I just think it is very unlikely Denver trots him out there come January. 

That would be awesome to go to a SB in which we played in. Never have done that. I have been to a lot of games here though, when it was the old stadium and a few at Lucas including the sweet 2009 game vs the Pats. I just think if Peyton's healthy he has to be out there. Maybe he is done? Nobody knows yet.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That would be awesome to go to a SB in which we played in. Never have done that. I have been to a lot of games here though, when it was the old stadium and a few at Lucas including the sweet 2009 game vs the Pats. I just think if Peyton's healthy he has to be out there. Maybe he is done? Nobody knows yet.

I was at the 2006 AFCCG. I wouldn't trade that for the SB that year (as far as my attendance). I would describe myself as euphoric for a few hours after that game. To be at that game with fellow Colts fans was AMAZING. Attending a SB would be fun, but it wouldn't be the same as an entire stadium full of Colts fans.

A healthy Peyton with a good run and great D.

4 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

At this point, I don't much care who the starter is as long as they keep winning. 

Be careful what you wish for. :)

Amen Gramz Amen. Plus, Brock appears to realize what an asset Manning is to have in your corner just on film study dissection protocol alone. 

The experience Peyton has pinpointing defensive & secondary vulnerabilities is incredible. 

Broncos are 5-1 vs playoff teams this year. They split the KC games... Beat GB, MIN, NE, KC, and CIN. That is probably the best resume of any playoff team out there, IMO. However, only 1 win came on the road, vs KC early in the year.

One thing is for sure, they have been battle tested with their schedule.

14 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

I was at the 2006 AFCCG. I wouldn't trade that for the SB that year (as far as my attendance). I would describe myself as euphoric for a few hours after that game. To be at that game with fellow Colts fans was AMAZING. Attending a SB would be fun, but it wouldn't be the same as an entire stadium full of Colts fans.

A healthy Peyton with a good run and great D.

That is my favorite game of all-time and man that had to be one hell of a night being at the mad house at RCA haha we were 10-0 at home that season too. I bet downtown was crazy being there live. What a win! I stayed at home that night because that game had me so scared I wanted to watch it by myself. Peyton's legacy was on the line that night and I was sick all day. I was in Florida the week of the SB in 2006/2007 but didn't go the SB, watched the game at a bar with friends and celebrated by the ocean after words!

13 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Amen Gramz Amen. Plus, Brock appears to realize what an asset Manning is to have in your corner just on film study dissection protocol alone. 

The experience Peyton has pinpointing defensive & secondary vulnerabilities is incredible. 

This would be a tremendous asset for a young QB to have.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Broncos are 5-1 vs playoff teams this year. They split the KC games... Beat GB, MIN, NE, KC, and CIN. That is probably the best resume of any playoff team out there, IMO. However, only 1 win came on the road, vs KC early in the year.

One thing is for sure, they have been battle tested with their schedule.

Battle tested at home. I be interested to see how Brock deals with a LOUD playoff crowd on the road.  Also GB has been jeckyl and hyde this year on O (oddly). They also bet KC BEFORE they got going on this amazing run I could see them going into Denver and winning again. 

17 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Battle tested at home. I be interested to see how Brock deals with a LOUD playoff crowd on the road.  Also GB has been jeckyl and hyde this year on O (oddly). They also bet KC BEFORE they got going on this amazing run I could see them going into Denver and winning again. 

It will be interesting to see how Brock deals with road playoff crowds. 

2 hours ago, dynasty13 said:

That's certainly true...but do you give Peyton Manning all the credit for the first 7 games? 

No logical person would...we can only speak to fact and the fact is that Brock has beaten the other top AFC teams in rough conditions, in prime time. 

Somebody tried to sell those first 7 games to Peyton in the game thread last night, and went as far as to say it applied to Sanchez and the Jets those 2 years when I compared the 2 turns of events.

I'd go with Peyton for personal reasons, not because he's their best chance to win. That's another post though.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Yeah... same feelings here. The simple fact is smarts and guile at some point in time doesn't trump your body saying "uncle" to father time. Happens to all great QB's at some point in time. Montana and Montana and Marino both gave it up after their 38 th birthday. 

Peyton is a much better option.  Osweiler was completely ineffective until they abandoned the predictable Kubiak offense at halftime and went full no huddle shotgun, the offense Manning runs better than anyone and the offense he has not been allowed to run this season but has instead been forced to run a pistol offense with huddling which negated everything which made him the best quarterback ever.

Changing from Fox to Kubiak was the worst coaching change of the last offseason.  All they needed to do was bring in Wade Phillips and they would have been much better off.

4 hours ago, dynasty13 said:

Right now Brock gives the Broncos the best chance to win...period. Peyton's playoff record and cold weather record is abysmal...how anyone could 'prefer' him at this point of the season when Brock has won them some huge prime time games in tough conditions makes no sense. 

This isn't Peyton of 10 years ago we're talking about here and you people need to start to understand that. A healthy Peyton is still a 39 year old Peyton...and 37+ Peyton has NOT looked good. The guy won't even stand on the sideline if there's cold weather let alone lead his team through the playoffs in it. Stick with the hot hand...if you put Peyton out there in the playoffs and he spits his pants that would solidify his legacy in a way nobody wants to see.

Sadly, it's obvious most of my fellow Colts fans are in denial.  Manning only had one good game this season and it was after a bye week.  After Manning was injured last season, I questioned if he could handle 16 games in the NFL and really felt he should have retired.  This season has proven I was right.  The worst part of all of it, is I have a bad feeling that Manning with want to play next season and someone will probably give him the chance.  

As you said, Brock gives the Broncos the best chance to win.  If it wasn't true Manning would be starting.  We aren't talking who is better between Brock and Manning in their primes, we are talking about right now.  The Colts fans that can see this are blinded by their love for him and can't realize that Manning isn't the same anymore.  

14 minutes ago, Corndog said:

As you said, Brock gives the Broncos the best chance to win.  If it wasn't true Manning would be starting.  We aren't talking who is better between Brock and Manning in their primes, we are talking about right now.  The Colts fans that can see this are blinded by their love for him and can't realize that Manning isn't the same anymore.  

I can understand it though, I am sure as a Pats fan when that day comes for Brady I will be the same way. They brought so much to us we never want to admit that the ride is over for them. :(

32 minutes ago, Corndog said:

If I'm not mistaken, Manning is still dealing with plantar fasciitis. I don't think Denver is making up injuries just to keep him off the field. At 39 years old, things don't heal like they used to. They never will again. Any reasonable Colts fan understands Manning today is not the Manning from years ago.

Up until midway last season, Manning was on fire. Then all of a sudden, he drops off. IMO, that's attributed to injuries that just don't heal as well, or as quickly since he's older. IMO, a rested, healthy, well protected Manning is still a better option than Osweiler. Manning doesn't have to last a season now, only a few games. That's not blind love for Manning. IMO, it's logical. I'm not saying Manning can last an entire season (next season). I'm saying rested, healthy and protected he'd be good for a few games. However, I don't think he's going to recover enough to be considered healthy at this point. I would love to see it, but I don't think it happens.

59 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

If I'm not mistaken, Manning is still dealing with plantar fasciitis. I don't think Denver is making up injuries just to keep him off the field. At 39 years old, things don't heal like they used to. They never will again. Any reasonable Colts fan understands Manning today is not the Manning from years ago.

A little HGH could help with that!!!

;)

Osweiler did a good job last night. I don't think Manning could have or would have done any better. A month or so ago I said go with Manning when he is recovered but now I am changing my stance. Osweiler has a few good games under his belt and seems very confident. I would go with Osweiler and ride that Bronco until it collapses

If I were Kubiak I'd ride Brock and give Manning garbage time reps if there is any garbage time in SD.  Then in the playoffs Brock has to be your starter anywhere the wind even blows a little (which is the whole AFC playoff picture. Manning has to ride the bench.  He doesn't have the strength even when healthy to fight mother nature like he used to.  But you don't leave him cold.  ESPECIALLY if they do make the superbowl and that big game happens to be a calm day in the Golden state...  Then you might just be really glad you saved Manning for a drive or 2. 

Plus Brock is already hurt by that atrocious oline of theirs.  Gotta have plan B.

41 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

If I were Kubiak I'd ride Brock and give Manning garbage time reps if there is any garbage time in SD.  Then in the playoffs Brock has to be your starter anywhere the wind even blows a little (which is the whole AFC playoff picture. Manning has to ride the bench.  He doesn't have the strength even when healthy to fight mother nature like he used to.  But you don't leave him cold.  ESPECIALLY if they do make the superbowl and that big game happens to be a calm day in the Golden state...  Then you might just be really glad you saved Manning for a drive or 2. 

Plus Brock is already hurt by that atrocious oline of theirs.  Gotta have plan B.

Either way, Denver would be crazy not to bring Manning along. He can and does offer advice to Osweiler during games.

11 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Which is why he's not the best option at quarterback. It's why he was benched to start with.

I'm not sure what your point his here. It's my post suggesting he is still dealing with plantar fasciitis, therefore not playing. He's obviously not the better option if he has plantar fasciitis.

29 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

I'm not sure what your point his here. It's my post suggesting he is still dealing with plantar fasciitis, therefore not playing. He's obviously not the better option if he has plantar fasciitis.

That's everybody's suggestion. You threw it out there like nobody here knows Peyton is hurt. There is a reason why Brock is the answer to the "best chance to win" and it's not because he has the coolest shoes or something. 

The correct answer is an offensive line that isn't a sieve. Neither QB can do much of anything with a world beater like Michael Schofield who is literally the worst OT in all of football. I've seen some bad ones over the years, but he is putrid.

What o-line  gives up sacks 4 straight plays in a row while the other team is in prevent/rushing 3? The answer is Denver. It doesn't help when the * coach gives the worst player (Schofield) zero help against Khalil Mack at any point all night.

With the line as it is, both QB's have gotten crushed. Given his age/mobility Brock is less likely to get knocked out of games. So, I'll go with Brock. Plus he can actually feel his fingertips...the cold won't do Peyton any favors.

As an aside, $70mil receivers need to be worth it. Everyone has bad nights, but D.T.'s one catch out of like 15 target outing was inexcusable. He regularly gets the dropsies, too, because apparently Brock throws too hard compared to Manning's soft balls. Brock throws fine, DT just needs to learn to catch a frickin' football reliably. He did well against CIN, he needs to be consistent.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

That's everybody's suggestion. You threw it out there like nobody here knows Peyton is hurt. There is a reason why Brock is the answer to the "best chance to win" and it's not because he has the coolest shoes or something. 

I am responding to the OP's subject "osweiler or peyton?" (I won't capitalize either as I'm quoting the OP). I assume the OP meant if both Osweiler and Peyton were healthy, otherwise the question would make no sense. If the subject was "Osweiler or an Injured Peyton?", I would not go with an injured Peyton.

3 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Then saying Peyton has a torn plantar fasciitis makes no sense if we all knew the OP was leaving that part out.

We'll have to agree to disagree (although I'm not sure what I would be agreeing to disagree on). In a nut shell, all I'm saying is I'd go with a rested, healthy Peyton in the playoffs. If Peyton is still suffering from plantar fasciitis, then he wouldn't be healthy, therefore not the better option.

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

It will be interesting to see how Brock deals with road playoff crowds. 

Brock has shown he's an NFL caliber QB....and he;s been part of two 14-point rallies to victory.

But he was also part of the reason they were down 14

..but he holds the ball much too long and he really doesnt use his mobility. His arm is strong and the team has confidence in him but 4 times since he's taken over, Denver hasn't scored in a half...

I know its politically correct to bash Peyton.

But the guy who's done it before is almost always the best option.

Logically it would make no sense to even put Manning in the playoffs unless Brock got hurt since Manning healthy or not is rusty as hell right now too. He has not played in many weeks and then you combine two weeks off for the bye.

You have to roll with the hot hand right now who has been in the groove of the NFL lately and despite some mistakes/a few losses Brock has made he has done some wonderful things as well to show he can be a real threat.

Denver may or may not win in the playoffs with Brock but still he is the one they have to go with.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Brock has shown he's an NFL caliber QB....and he;s been part of two 14-point rallies to victory.

But he was also part of the reason they were down 14

..but he holds the ball much too long and he really doesnt use his mobility. His arm is strong and the team has confidence in him but 4 times since he's taken over, Denver hasn't scored in a half...

I know its politically correct to bash Peyton.

But the guy who's done it before is almost always the best option.

He is not a seasoned pro yet mark, you have to give him some wiggle room at times here. Like I said they may or may not win in the playoffs with Brock but it still makes more sense to go with him considering the circumstances.

Denver's best and most reliable reporter has been saying for weeks that the only way Peyton plays again in Denver is if Brock is injured. Nothing has happened so far to make me believe otherwise. This is what Elway wanted and Peyton's foot and terrible game vs KC helped move things along.

As for Peyton next year, just remember that his decline started after the St Louis game last year when Elway reportedly blew up in the locker room and subsequently took the offense out of Manning's hands. Yeah Manning played poorly that game (50 passes, 8 runs) and Julius Thomas and Sanders were both hurt but up until that point he was top 2 in the MVP race. If a team like Houston wants to give him another shot and let's him do things his way while they develop a draft pick QB, then I can't see why Manning won't be a Pro Bowl QB again. His system will do a better job of protecting him than Kubiak's which had him running a bunch of bootlegs in the game vs Indy where he finally tore his plantar fascia. No way he wants to go out like this and will be determined to have at least one more good year. 

22 hours ago, Bogie said:

Brock easily.

Who cares if Peyton started 7-0, Brock beat the undefeated New England in the snow and icy wind, and he gets no credit for it.

Gets no credit for it?  Brock has played extremely well this season given the circumstances.  The fact that we are even having this conversation (and it is a serious conversation and not just trolling) is a testament to that.  If Brock didn't get credit for how well he has played this season, nobody would even be considering whether or not he should start in place of Manning.  It would be a no brainer.