Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Gore - justified?

oldunclemark

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

stat wise he was meh, 3.6 ypc, 4 TDs, 3 lost fumbles.

but we needed a back and i'm not mad at all about him being here.  i was hoping we would also use a higher pick than we did on the a RB considering how much talent there was

But in a must win game today, he scored twice and broke some njce runs

He's at 900 or so...snd he replaced Trent..what were his averages?

we got him for the late games..must win games...he was there today

12 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

but we needed a back and i'm not mad at all about him being here.  i was hoping we would also use a higher pick than we did on the a RB considering how much talent there was

And he's earned EVERY YARD running behind the worst OL in football.

He's been justified since Day 1.

And after next week,  he'll be very close to 1,000 yards.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I just looked at the splits and Gore averaged 2.9 YPC in the second half of games this season (not counting today)

For all of your trashing of him, when all is said and done, he's going to be near 1,000 yards, which is what all thought he'd have to do to be a good signing.     And he's done it mostly on his own running behind an OL that doesn't run block well and within an offensive system that hasn't been very well coordinated for much of the season.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

we dont have the worst line, that just isnt true. the team we played today has a worse line than us

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For all of your trashing of him, when all is said and done, he's going to be near 1,000 yards, which is what all thought he'd have to do to be a good signing.     And he's done it mostly on his own running behind an OL that doesn't run block well and within an offensive system that hasn't been very well coordinated for much of the season.

This is a situation that illustrates the problem with stats.  This year, the passing game as been way less efficient, and way less of a threat, than in past years.  Comparing YPC stats from year to year really shortcuts a completely fair analysis.

He passes the eye test to me.  He and Boom would have made a good tandem this year.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For all of your trashing of him, when all is said and done, he's going to be near 1,000 yards, which is what all thought he'd have to do to be a good signing.     And he's done it mostly on his own running behind an OL that doesn't run block well and within an offensive system that hasn't been very well coordinated for much 

Volume ststats are meaningless. You don't need to pay millions of dollars for a back who's going to give you some of the worst YPC in the NFL.

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I would guess he lost 200 yards on penalties as well. It's a big number but I bet it is close. 

If we miss the playoffs by a game a couple of those fumbles going in to the end zone sting.

No Luck having Holmes at C then add in all the injuries to our OL not sure what everyone expected. I would love to see how many stacked boxes he faced again. That was the big thing they wouldn't be able to stack the box on him. I'm guessing with Matt at QB he saw a few. 

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

IMO he has looked like the old man he is most of the season, but compared to what we have been used to the last half a dozen years that has been enough.  

Considering that - our run game is really sad!

1 minute ago, hawkeyes said:

IMO he has looked like the old man he is most of the season, but compared to what we have been used to the last half a dozen years that has been enough.  

Considering that - our run game is really sad!

i always thought justified was a funny word, because it is in the eye of the beholder.  i wont say gore was not justified, but he wasnt that good either.

better than what we have had, but still not good enough

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

Volume ststats are meaningless. You don't need to pay millions of dollars for a back who's going to give you some of the worst YPC in the NFL.

They're only meaningless when you want them to be meaningless.

Did we have a great pass blocking OL when Luck threw for nearly 5,000 yards?    Of course not.

Has any other RB run for nearly 1,000 yards for the Colts in the last 4 years?       Of course not.

Considering how bad our offense has been ALL SEASON,  Gore's effort has practically been heroic.

Why you don't know this is a complete mystery to me.......

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They're only meaningless when you want them to be meaningless.

Did we have a great pass blocking OL when Luck threw for nearly 5,000 yards?    Of course not.

Has any other RB run for nearly 1,000 yards for the Colts in the last 4 years?       Of course not.

Considering how bad our offense has been ALL SEASON,  Gore's effort has practically been heroic.

Why you don't know this is a complete mystery to me.......

gurley was a hero this year.  the rams dont even have a top 20 line, or passing game and he hit 1000 yards in 12 games.

gore was ok

i guess...

45 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

gurley was a hero this year.  the rams dont even have a top 20 line, or passing game and he hit 1000 yards in 12 games.

gore was ok

i guess...

I don't know if you can compare a guy in his 30s with another back in his 20s. Gore has been in this league for a long time, I must say that he's been impressive if you think about his age, and the fact that he's been pratically working some magic behind this line...

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

The Colts have a terrible offensive line and low level QBing. When the line was playing better and the QB was better (or at least more dangerous), Gore's YPC wasn't near the worst in the NFL. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pretty unbelievable Chris Johnson once ran for 2,000 yds in one season.

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

Pretty unbelievable Chris Johnson once ran for 2,000 yds in one season.

Yup....     that's 125 yards every week.

And back in the day,  went OJ went for 2000,  that was in a 14 game schedule.    If I remember the math properly,   that's about 143 every week.  

Pretty incredible!!

7 hours ago, aaron11 said:

we dont have the worst line, that just isnt true. the team we played today has a worse line than us

Geez.....    does it really matter?

If we only have the 30th worst line of the 28th worst line,  does it make a big difference?

We don't have a good o-line and the worst thing they do is run block.       Can we at least agree on that?!?

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He can be so ridiculous and arrogant sometimes! Who in the heck is going to be paying attention to the passing game with Charlie Whitehurst in the game?  Of course you're not getting anywhere when they are stacked up to negate the run.  Yeah tell me who is going to avg. 4 yards per carry against that?  The stat monster strikes again!  Blowing off steam

17 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Perhaps part of the reason why they were a big let down this year too?  I think most teams with bad OL just don't score a lot of points aka don't win football games!  Grigs should've figured this out by now...  He was an lineman but unfortunately not a very good one.  It's taken 4 years and a significant injuries to Luck for him to get a hint?