Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles Grigson A Favorite For Gm Job?

HGRekks

I haven't been that impressed with the Eagles draft record recently, but he's not the entire front office. Still, it's all I have to look at.

I am excited by his background as an offensive lineman, however. A solid offensive line is the key to any solid offense. I assume (perhaps wrongly) that he'd also have a solid knowledge of the defensive line as well, having played against them all throughout college and some practices in the NFL.

I don't like the Eagles recent drafting record at all, and listening to Philly sports radio (and some friends) I'm sure its a fairly common view. They built the teams that went to all those NFC Championship games in the late 90s, and have been eratic in recent years. I'd say that they signed all those FAs last year because they felt that they had to because they hadn't drafted well enough. And Griggson as only been Director of Player Personnel since 2010. Either he is partially responsible for some below average drafts, or he doesn't have much experience. One must be true.

And personally I hate Michael Vick and DeSean Jackson (and hated Terrell Owens) I don't want creeps like that on the Colts. It's impossible to know Griggsons views on the subject, but he is still tainted by association until we learn more.

On the postitive side, he is a local boy, which is always pretty cool. There were reports that St Louis was very interested after they interviewed him, and that's arguably a more desirable job at this point - so maybe he's a Colts fan. Couldn't hurt.

I don't like the Eagles recent drafting record at all, and listening to Philly sports radio (and some friends) I'm sure its a fairly common view. They built the teams that went to all those NFC Championship games in the late 90s, and have been eratic in recent years. I'd say that they signed all those FAs last year because they felt that they had to because they hadn't drafted well enough. And Griggson as only been Director of Player Personnel since 2010. Either he is partially responsible for some below average drafts, or he doesn't have much experience. One must be true.

And personally I hate Michael Vick and DeSean Jackson (and hated Terrell Owens) I don't want creeps like that on the Colts. It's impossible to know Griggsons views on the subject, but he is still tainted by association until we learn more.

On the postitive side, he is a local boy, which is always pretty cool. There were reports that St Louis was very interested after they interviewed him, and that's arguably a more desirable job at this point - so maybe he's a Colts fan. Couldn't hurt.

With that said MAC..Philly sports radio hates everybody

I would be willing to give Grigson a chance and not pre-judge him before he is hired (If he is the one). I like the players Philly has on their roster to include Michael Vick, DeSean Jackson, Brent Celek, Jason Peters and Darryl Tapp. The front office also did a good job with selected use of free agency (Jason Babin). With a few exceptions, I would take Philly's roster over the Colts current roster any day of the week. We need bigger, stronger, more athletic players and if Grigson can bring them to the team, I say great- bring 'em on.

I live in central NJ - about 40 miles from Philly and NYC. The Philly sports radio shows are all over the map with opinions on all the sports teams except the Phillies (the current darling of the town).

I would be willing to give Grigson a chance and not pre-judge him before he is hired (If he is the one). I like the players Philly has on their roster to include Michael Vick, DeSean Jackson, Brent Celek, Jason Peters and Darryl Tapp. The front office also did a good job with selected use of free agency (Jason Babin). With a few exceptions, I would take Philly's roster over the Colts current roster any day of the week. We need bigger, stronger, more athletic players and if Grigson can bring them to the team, I say great- bring 'em on.

I live in central NJ - about 40 miles from Philly and NYC. The Philly sports radio shows are all over the map with opinions on all the sports teams except the Phillies (the current darling of the town).

Agreed.

We could question the character of some of their players, but Grigson's job has been talent evaluation, not final decision-making. So you can't really put the Michael Vick/Desean Jackson type of issues at his feet. Matter of fact, Vick was a Jeff Lurie decision. And Jackson is a very talented and athletic player, he's just an immature clown.

I think Grigson is as good a candidate as almost anyone else that's available right now. I might prefer Marc Ross from the Giants, but we could probably poke holes in his qualifications also.

I think the Eagle drafts have been OK. If the guy has had the position since only 2010 hes only had 2 drafts? How much control did he have. The eagles do run a 4/3 defense though. Don't know much about him. If hes the guy he better be good.

I believe that Reid has the final word and ultimate responsibility, so who knows what Griggson's thought process is. I don't think that the drafts have been OK however. People here scream because the Colts have "missed" on a couple of high picks in recent years. Well the Eagles have "hit" on a couple of high picks. Way too many of the other 4th round and up picks going back 5+ years or so don't even appear to be on the team anymore, much less have made an impact.

Loudest recent complaint - used 2010 first rounder on DE Brandom Graham at #13. Giants got Jason Pierre-Paul two picks later, followed by the Titans taking Derrick Morgan. Not to mention they have oline problems (used their 2011 pick on one who hasn't impressed yet) but Mike Lupati and Maurkice Pouncey were taken immediately after Morgan and Brian Bulaga a little later. Or they could have taken Devin McCourty and maybe they wouldn't have felt the need to invest a fortune in FA CBs this past offseason. Just not a good pick. Makes the Hughes pick look brilliant.

Marty Mornhinweg just might become a candidate if Grigson gets the job and has a say in the HC search. Though, as Irsay has said, that's putting the cart before the Colt.

I was thinking the same thing. Mornhinweg has a good coaching pedigree (packers, eagles) and previous experience as a HC.

Grigson seems to have a good resume, he has been around with several teams and even several leagues.

Some notes on Grigson, who turns 40 in February, courtesy of the Eagles:

• A native of Highland, Ind., he played tight end and offensive tackle for the Purdue Boilermakers from 1991-94, serving as a captain during his senior year.
  • He’s been in his current post with Philadelphia for two seasons after four years as the team’s director of college scouting.
  • He’s on the Butkus Award selection committee where he helps select the nation’s top collegiate linebacker.
  • During 12 years as an NFL talent evaluator, Grigson’s teams have been to the playoffs seven times and have made three trips to the Super Bowl including winning one Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams.
  • Grigson has a good feel for the entire country. With the Rams, he started as a national combine scout before being promoted to an area scout, working in the Northeast, Midwest and Southeast regions during his tenure. He was the Eagles’ Western regional scout when he moved on to Philadelphia.
  • He was a sixth-round draft choice of the Cincinnati Bengals out of Purdue in 1995. He spent that season as an offensive lineman with the Detroit Lions, then was with the team in training camp in 1996. He played with Toronto of the CFL in 1997 before a back injury ended his playing career.
  • Following his playing career, Grigson became a pro scout with Saskatchewan of the CFL and an assistant coach at McPherson College in Kansas in 1998. He then joined the Buffalo Destroyers of the Arena Football League in 1999 as a player personnel coordinator and assistant coach.
  • His younger brother Dru is currently a Midwest scout for the Arizona Cardinals.
  • He and his wife, Cynthia, have two daughters and three sons.

Just did the math on the Eagle's last two drafts. Looks like they specialized in accquiring a lot of middle-round picks: they had a total of 24 picks in the last two years! Although they got no big stars from those drafts, it's interesting to note that of the 24 picks, 19 are still with the team.

Maybe he brings ex-Eagles DC Sean McDermott with him, an aggressive minded 4-3 coach. Sean McDermott learnt from the late Jim Johnson and am sure he will bring a few wrinkles to our 4-3. Not sure if his contract with the Panthers can be broken.

Just did the math on the Eagle's last two drafts. Looks like they specialized in accquiring a lot of middle-round picks: they had a total of 24 picks in the last two years! Although they got no big stars from those drafts, it's interesting to note that of the 24 picks, 19 are still with the team.

Sounds familiar. though Polian didn't stockpile mid-round picks, he sure beefed up the roster with them and found some gems. My main problem with this guy and I'll admit it might not be his fault, is that the Eagles suffer from a lack of leadership and focus. They've got talent, but haven't been able to put it together on a consistant basis. They underachieve. The Colts, IMHO, are the opposite. With some obvious exceptions, they get the job done with less overall talent than most of the other playoff teams. The players sacrifice some personal goals and individual talent to fit the team concept. That's the key to success. If you can mold the team's system to flatter individual talents, then you have the best of both worlds.

What I'm afraid we'll lose with Polian gone is the ability to pick players with great team personality traits and winning attitudes. Hopefully, he wasn't the lone reason we picked those type of players and we'll retain that ability with whoever the new GM turns out to be.

What I'm afraid we'll lose with Polian gone is the ability to pick players with great team personality traits and winning attitudes. Hopefully, he wasn't the lone reason we picked those type of players and we'll retain that ability with whoever the new GM turns out to be.

Polian is not the only one who picked those kinds of players. However, by drafting Chris Rucker who had a very small history of trouble with the law, Chris Polian probably showed we were not going to shy away from those if those can play ball. I am sure it came with the blessing of Pa. Tyler Brayton, regardless of whether he kneed a player in the b**** and received a fine for the same, he was still signed and given a chance to contribute in the rotation.

Players we have shied away from like Darnell Dockett and VJax aren't really getting into it with the law to the extent that their football performance is affected.

Can the player play football at a high level and can he buy into a team concept and be coachable? If yes, draft him, unless he has serious issues with the law like major assault or sexual misconduct charges that will cause him to miss football time. Randy Moss dropped in the draft because of possible assault charges with his girlfriend, Ed Johnson was kicked out of the now "holier-than-thou-facade-of-a-University" Penn State but signed by us when Dungy and BP were at the helm making decisions. But, in the right environment, coaches were able to coach them both up.

To me, it factors, to an extent but is not the be all for the decision making whether to draft a player or not.

I don't know the guy and maybe he will do good. But I would rather not have that Eagle way of bringing in Free Agents ala Redskins that don't jell and underachieve. I honestly was hoping either Telesco would have been promoted or Popp was brought in. Telesco because I would hope he learned the talent part from Bill Polian. Popp because his success and how he built the teams in Montreal. Sure, it isn't the NFL, but he laid out a nice blue print.

I just hope Jim Irsay keeps college talent evaluations at the top of the list and not who will be nice to the locals.

As bizarre as it sounds, if I were Jim Irsay I would ask Bill Polian for his opinion. I remember Polian thought very highly of Mayhew when Detroit promoted him to GM.

Its nice to see a former player as GM... assuming that he will be the GM.. the eagles are very aggressive in getting the players they want and i like the thought of that probably coming to the colts... he wont have as much power as polian so im excited to see how this pans out... hopefully a new coaching staff is in the mix.

If he's like the rest of the Eagles front office, I'm thinking maybe free agent city. Could be wrong, but we all know what happened last year in Philly.

Wouldn't be opposed to that.

I would be opposed to it, if it's to the extent they did it this past season.

Two seasons as head coach of the Detroit Lions. Record 2-14 and 3-13. Really!

Never said it was a good thing. Some coaches do evolve, but no one knows if this is one of those. Coaches occasionally get second shots, and there is a section of people who think Morny mighty get another. He and Gregg Williams are two failed coaches that some think will get another shot.

Polian is not the only one who picked those kinds of players. However, by drafting Chris Rucker who had a very small history of trouble with the law, Chris Polian probably showed we were not going to shy away from those if those can play ball. I am sure it came with the blessing of Pa. Tyler Brayton, regardless of whether he kneed a player in the b**** and received a fine for the same, he was still signed and given a chance to contribute in the rotation.

Players we have shied away from like Darnell Dockett and VJax aren't really getting into it with the law to the extent that their football performance is affected.

Can the player play football at a high level and can he buy into a team concept and be coachable? If yes, draft him, unless he has serious issues with the law like major assault or sexual misconduct charges that will cause him to miss football time. Randy Moss dropped in the draft because of possible assault charges with his girlfriend, Ed Johnson was kicked out of the now "holier-than-thou-facade-of-a-University" Penn State but signed by us when Dungy and BP were at the helm making decisions. But, in the right environment, coaches were able to coach them both up.

To me, it factors, to an extent but is not the be all for the decision making whether to draft a player or not.

There is more to "character" than a specific event. Those are just warning signs, and sometimes despite a specific event, you can get a level of comfort that a person does have good character. There are no hard and fast lines. But as long as you aim for people who are smart, hardworking, respectful of others, coachable, and willing to embrace team goals ahead of their own, you should be fine. I complain about the Eagles because Michael Vick is a sociopath, plus he spent years in the league trying to win based on instinct and speed instead of bothering to invest the time necessary to learn how to play Quarterback. DeSean Jackson and Terrel Owens are both self-absorbed malcontents who not only put their own desires ahead of the teams, but who actively do things that hurt their own teams if they don't get their way. I suspect that the combined IQ of the three is substantially less than Peytons alone. I wouldn't be happy having to support people like that, and they would never be signed by the Colts of recent years. So yes, it bothers me that Griggson is apparently a key part of an organization that has not only embraced these players but built around them. I can only hope that Irsay is confident from the interview process that Griggson doesn't share that mindset.

I haven't been that impressed with the Eagles draft record recently, but he's not the entire front office. Still, it's all I have to look at.

I am excited by his background as an offensive lineman, however. A solid offensive line is the key to any solid offense. I assume (perhaps wrongly) that he'd also have a solid knowledge of the defensive line as well, having played against them all throughout college and some practices in the NFL.

For those of you knocking their drafting are you forgetting Mccoy? D Jackson??? Maclin? Those are 3 of the top weapons in the whole NFL especially jackson and shady mccoy. Who here wouldn't love a RB and WR with those traits on the coach and let manning really have a shot to win another super bowl?

Executive and coaching career

Early career

Following his retirement from playing, Grigson became a pro scout for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1998. In the same year, he was an assistant coach for McPherson College's football team. In 1999, he was a player personnel coordinator and assistant coach for the Buffalo Destroyers of the Arena Football League.

National Football League

Grigson was hired by the St. Louis Rams as a national scout in 1999. He was part of the Rams' Super Bowl XXXIV championship team in 1999 and the Rams' NFC Championship/Super Bowl XXXVI team in 2001 as an area scout.

On May 15, 2004, Grigson was hired by the Philadelphia Eagles as a western regional scout. He was a part of the Eagles' NFC Championship/Super Bowl XXXIX team in 2004. On June 8, 2006, he was promoted to director of college scouting,and on February 3, 2010, he was promoted to director of player personnel.

-Source Wikipedia

IDK...sounds like a pretty solid background to me. At least he's been around successful programs. Hopefully we'll see a little more focus around drafting linemen! At least I'd hope for that being that he's a former lineman.

Man, if he is the guy I hope he's picking up the phone and calling Steve Spagnuolo. I heard today there is speculation that he may go back to the Eagles to be DC...I'd much rather see him come here!