Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Current 12/2015 Mock Off-Season

Here is my current mock off-season.  After great resistance, I’ve come to the notion that Reitz is good, and he should be the Plan A RT (especially with Denzelle and Mewhort as Plans B & C). 

·        Let Andre Johnson, Cole, Herremans, and Dwayne Allen walk.  And in tough calls (and reversed from what I thought last week), D’Qwell is cut, and Arthur Jones returns (largely because I’m worried about Henry Anderson starting on the PUP).  Jones can always be cut before the season, saving money. 

·        Re-sign Fleener, Freeman, Lowry, Toler, Hasselbeck, and Vinitieri.

·        Sign outside UFAs Brandon Brooks (OG, Texans) and Ronnie Hillman (RB, Broncos).

These moves should put us at a cap figure approximately $1 million below what we paid last year, according to my estimates.  This lets us sign FAs or make trades late in the process, once we have better info on camp injuries.  Then, the draft will go thusly:

1. 1) Yannick Ngakoue, OLB, Maryland.  Junior who has already declared.  He’s currently considered a 2nd day guy, but I’m projecting a rise as he proves his 13.5 sacks in the all-star games.  Played DE at Maryland, but he’s ideally suited for our rush LB role.  6’2, 255.  He improved his edge-setting and awareness this year, so he could possibly also play the SAM.  Improving the pass-rush will be goal #1 for me, and he projects much better to our 3-4 than Werner did.  I like this guy in the 1st better than some better known guys, like Leonard Floyd or Shilique Calhoun (though the draftniks would consider him a Bruce Irvin-like over-draft).

2. 2) Desmond King, CB, Iowa.  Jr.  Should be getting more love, since he’s one of three Thorpe Award finalists.  Still, most seem to feel he should be here for our 2nd round pick.   5’11, 200 lbs.  A good, physical man-to-man guy who gets more than his fair share of interceptions.  I’m not sure if D’Joun is the answer yet, so I feel better getting another future cog in place, since we had shaky coverage at times this year.  Better than even odds that either King or D’Joun unseats Toler early in the season.

3. 3) Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi St.  Trying to “pull an Osweiller”.  Hasselbeck has saved our season, but he’s 40 (not sure if you guys have heard that or not). ;)  Prescott is a bruising runner and Luck-like tough guy.  He has a very lively arm and impressive understanding of the game.  He has some mechanics work to do, and his accuracy needs to improve when he doesn’t have time to set his feet.  6’2, 230.  With a year or two of development, he could be a good back-up with a similar playing style to Luck.  I would seriously consider Carson Wentz of N. Dakota St. in the 2nd, but I think he’ll be gone by the 3rd, and I really like the 2nd round CBs more than the 3rd rounders.

4. 4) Jordan Lomax, S, Iowa.  Labeled as a Bob Sanders type (probably because of his school).  He’s 5’10, 205, and he’s a hitter.  Our safety position should be good for now with Adams, Lowry, and Geathers, but we need someone else for the future.  Lomax could play either S position for us.

5. 5) Alex Lewis, OL, Nebraska.  Transferred from Colorado after an off-field fight that resulted in jail time.  He was a solid run-blocker for Abdullah last year, and he has done well in pass pro.  At 6’6, 295, Lewis seems like a swing tackle to me.  Maybe the next Joe Reitz, though I realize the comparison is imperfect (since Reitz was a college hoops player who hadn’t played football since HS).  He has some NFL bloodlines, as his father spent a few years in the league.  I don’t mind taking a shot at character risks later in the draft.

7) Antwoine Williams, OLB, Georgia Southern.  Tackling machine with 97 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 3 passes broken up, 2 QBH, and 4 forced fumbles as a senior.  6’3, 245.  I see him as a young SAM-type.  I considered TE, DL, OL, and DB also.  Really you’re just looking for anyone that can help you in the next few years at this slot. 

Probably not enough OL improvement for most of y’all’s taste.  I figure that Brandon Brooks is a huge consistency upgrade from Thornton, who becomes a top back-up OG.  Then, I’m comfortable giving the Harrison/Holmes tandem another year, as they are developing to the point of giving us average center play.  Reitz is a good RT IMO, and Denzelle has a future.  I’d like to see this group work together another year before making more changes than this.  The WR corps of Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Whalen, Bray, and Carter is among the league’s best IMO, and no additions are necessary.  More three-WR sets lessen the sting of losing Allen at TE, and Doyle can step in on two-TE sets.  Swoope or a final cut steal can fill out the TE corps. 

1 minute ago, Archer said:

Ha!  Funny how we can all see it differently.  Wonder if Denver is considering their 2nd round pick three years ago (Osweiller) a waste...

That's what makes the Site great, everyone has their own unique opinions. I personally hope we Draft Pass Rushers and O.Lineman but I am not a genius when it comes to picks haha Your Avatar looks like Jack Sikma!

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Not to mention I've never heard of his 1st round pick. We'll probably be picking around top 15 so we could get a well known defensive player.

"Well known" is not a quality that really factored into the selection.  Granted, he's not having a lot written about him right now, but when the draftniks start into it, you'll start hearing his name.  One of the Walterfootball guys just put Ngakoue a couple of spots into the 2nd round (like 34 or 35) late last week.  Pauline is just saying that he has "Top 100 potential" at this point.  A dark horse right now, but I love everything about him.  Insert Floyd in there if you like, and you'll retain the spririt of my draft...

2 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Huge no no to Greg Toler. If so, def not at $5-6 million, more like $1-3 million max.

I understand that thought, but there are no easy solutions at CB.  You pay through the nose for a top one, if you can sign him.  And an instant quality starter doesn't happen very often unless you're drafting in the Top-10.  I figured that D'Joun and King are good possibilities, and you may be really glad you have Toler if they are not yet ready.  I guessed a salary between $2 million and $3 million for him.

Offensive Line Options:

Stefen Wis (26) *I'd say 3 year deal, but what do I know

Alex Mack (if he decides to take a reasonable deal & op out of his contract)

Mitchell Schwartz (26) *I'd give him 4 year deal, thats just me 

Alex Boone (28) *Coming of a ACL sprain I'd give him a 1 year deal

Draft mid-round OL 

Defense Options:

Draft!!!!!!! and Draft some more!!!!

.....Maybe sign a pass rusher.....Maybe

This isn't terrible but I just don't think we should continue taking small steps on our offensive line. We should sign a FA center at least in addition to the guard. Mack or the center in Oakland. I'd be ok with leaving Reitz at rt now but I also wouldn't mind drafting a guy early to groom or put in at rt now. I don't like the QB in the third. Luck is our franchise QB, at this point we have to hang our hat on that. We could use the third to draft a good tackle or guard or a top center. I like the 1st and really wouldn't be surprised to see him move up that high in the predraft process. King is also a good selection.

1 hour ago, Wesk7 said:

This isn't terrible but I just don't think we should continue taking small steps on our offensive line. We should sign a FA center at least in addition to the guard. Mack or the center in Oakland. I'd be ok with leaving Reitz at rt now but I also wouldn't mind drafting a guy early to groom or put in at rt now. I don't like the QB in the third. Luck is our franchise QB, at this point we have to hang our hat on that. We could use the third to draft a good tackle or guard or a top center. I like the 1st and really wouldn't be surprised to see him move up that high in the predraft process. King is also a good selection.

Yeah, you definitely represent the prevailing view on the OL.  I think that the OL is a little unfairly vilified nowadays, and it's much better than it was in the Satele/McGlynn days.  I'm personally fine with letting Reitz be a placeholder for a year, so we have a better sense if Good is a future starter at RT or not.  The big difference I have with people here is what to do at Center.  Yeah, neither Harrison nor Holmes has been very good, but they are both inexperienced players that we've been taking the time to develop.  With bigger fish to fry, I'd bring in a top FA RG (because I'm finally convinced that Thornton needs to be replaced) and hope that one of the current contenders brings Center play up to average.

I like it for the most part, but I must say thumbs way down to re-signing Toler. Use that money and extra to get Trumaine Johnson or Janoris Jenkins (Rams wont be able to keep both). Toler is trash, and he should have been cut some time ago.

Here's what I'd like to see. Cut Andre, Cole, Werner, and Art. Re-sign Freeman, Fleener, and Winn, Vinny. Address OL through free agency with maybe 1 or 2 of guys like Alex Boone, Alex Mack, Jeff Allen, Andre Smith. Also maybe add another LB. 

Draft:

1st: CB Desmond King

2nd: S Jeremy Cash 

3rd: OLB Jordan Jenkins

4th: RB C.J. Prosise

5th: OL

7th: DT

Personally I'd like to see us trade our 1st for another 2nd and another 3rd or 4th, as I think Desmond King could be had in the 2nd, but would be gone before our pick there. I put that scenario below. Essentially just trading Jeremy Cash for Carl Nassib and Vonn Bell.

2nd: CB Desmond King

2nd: DE Carl Nassib 

3rd: S Vonn Bell

3rd: OLB Jordan Jenkins

4th: RB C.J. Prosise

5th: OL

7th: DT

On December 16, 2015 at 7:49 AM, Archer said:

Yeah, you definitely represent the prevailing view on the OL.  I think that the OL is a little unfairly vilified nowadays, and it's much better than it was in the Satele/McGlynn days.  I'm personally fine with letting Reitz be a placeholder for a year, so we have a better sense if Good is a future starter at RT or not.  The big difference I have with people here is what to do at Center.  Yeah, neither Harrison nor Holmes has been very good, but they are both inexperienced players that we've been taking the time to develop.  With bigger fish to fry, I'd bring in a top FA RG (because I'm finally convinced that Thornton needs to be replaced) and hope that one of the current contenders brings Center play up to average.

I think you can get Ngakoue in the 2nd or maybe the 3rd. This years Anderson. Either way I love the first 2 guys. Floyd and Ngakoue?

Come on a QB in the 3rd? We can get a player there. I could see Sheldon Day being there. We can find a useful player in the 3rd maybe a G probably to late for Pyke maybe Elfein. Someone. We don't want a QB we have the franchise.

Our biggest problem on O is C on D lack of pass rush and a 2nd CB. 

We have to address the C position. That's the biggest problem with the O Line going with Holmes. He can't stay healthy and isn't very good. We can't continue to get blown up at the point of attack. 

I think we need to sign a FA C. I would go after Wisneski which is what should have happened this year. T's are fine. I'm ok with Reitz short term see what Good is. Thorton has the skill. He just has to stay healthy and consistent. We need insurance there. 

I am not usually for big name free agents but I'd make a strong run at Wilkerson. The Jets can't pay everyone. 

On December 15, 2015 at 11:00 AM, Archer said:

Here is my current mock off-season.  After great resistance, I’ve come to the notion that Reitz is good, and he should be the Plan A RT (especially with Denzelle and Mewhort as Plans B & C). 

·        Let Andre Johnson, Cole, Herremans, and Dwayne Allen walk.  And in tough calls (and reversed from what I thought last week), D’Qwell is cut, and Arthur Jones returns (largely because I’m worried about Henry Anderson starting on the PUP).  Jones can always be cut before the season, saving money. 

·        Re-sign Fleener, Freeman, Lowry, Toler, Hasselbeck, and Vinitieri.

·        Sign outside UFAs Brandon Brooks (OG, Texans) and Ronnie Hillman (RB, Broncos).

These moves should put us at a cap figure approximately $1 million below what we paid last year, according to my estimates.  This lets us sign FAs or make trades late in the process, once we have better info on camp injuries.  Then, the draft will go thusly:

1. 1) Yannick Ngakoue, OLB, Maryland.  Junior who has already declared.  He’s currently considered a 2nd day guy, but I’m projecting a rise as he proves his 13.5 sacks in the all-star games.  Played DE at Maryland, but he’s ideally suited for our rush LB role.  6’2, 255.  He improved his edge-setting and awareness this year, so he could possibly also play the SAM.  Improving the pass-rush will be goal #1 for me, and he projects much better to our 3-4 than Werner did.  I like this guy in the 1st better than some better known guys, like Leonard Floyd or Shilique Calhoun (though the draftniks would consider him a Bruce Irvin-like over-draft).

2. 2) Desmond King, CB, Iowa.  Jr.  Should be getting more love, since he’s one of three Thorpe Award finalists.  Still, most seem to feel he should be here for our 2nd round pick.   5’11, 200 lbs.  A good, physical man-to-man guy who gets more than his fair share of interceptions.  I’m not sure if D’Joun is the answer yet, so I feel better getting another future cog in place, since we had shaky coverage at times this year.  Better than even odds that either King or D’Joun unseats Toler early in the season.

3. 3) Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi St.  Trying to “pull an Osweiller”.  Hasselbeck has saved our season, but he’s 40 (not sure if you guys have heard that or not). ;)  Prescott is a bruising runner and Luck-like tough guy.  He has a very lively arm and impressive understanding of the game.  He has some mechanics work to do, and his accuracy needs to improve when he doesn’t have time to set his feet.  6’2, 230.  With a year or two of development, he could be a good back-up with a similar playing style to Luck.  I would seriously consider Carson Wentz of N. Dakota St. in the 2nd, but I think he’ll be gone by the 3rd, and I really like the 2nd round CBs more than the 3rd rounders.

4. 4) Jordan Lomax, S, Iowa.  Labeled as a Bob Sanders type (probably because of his school).  He’s 5’10, 205, and he’s a hitter.  Our safety position should be good for now with Adams, Lowry, and Geathers, but we need someone else for the future.  Lomax could play either S position for us.

5. 5) Alex Lewis, OL, Nebraska.  Transferred from Colorado after an off-field fight that resulted in jail time.  He was a solid run-blocker for Abdullah last year, and he has done well in pass pro.  At 6’6, 295, Lewis seems like a swing tackle to me.  Maybe the next Joe Reitz, though I realize the comparison is imperfect (since Reitz was a college hoops player who hadn’t played football since HS).  He has some NFL bloodlines, as his father spent a few years in the league.  I don’t mind taking a shot at character risks later in the draft.

7) Antwoine Williams, OLB, Georgia Southern.  Tackling machine with 97 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 3 passes broken up, 2 QBH, and 4 forced fumbles as a senior.  6’3, 245.  I see him as a young SAM-type.  I considered TE, DL, OL, and DB also.  Really you’re just looking for anyone that can help you in the next few years at this slot. 

Probably not enough OL improvement for most of y’all’s taste.  I figure that Brandon Brooks is a huge consistency upgrade from Thornton, who becomes a top back-up OG.  Then, I’m comfortable giving the Harrison/Holmes tandem another year, as they are developing to the point of giving us average center play.  Reitz is a good RT IMO, and Denzelle has a future.  I’d like to see this group work together another year before making more changes than this.  The WR corps of Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Whalen, Bray, and Carter is among the league’s best IMO, and no additions are necessary.  More three-WR sets lessen the sting of losing Allen at TE, and Doyle can step in on two-TE sets.  Swoope or a final cut steal can fill out the TE corps. 

Just curious, but what makes you like Ngakoue better than Floyd or Calhoun. Floyd is the best pure 3-4 OLB in this class, and Calhoun is a freak athlete.

Personally I disagree with you free agents, re-signings, and the draft. I think we need to go all in in free agency. Sign Von Miller and Janorris Jenkins. Then Junior Galette on a 1year deal. Draft Jaylon Smith, Nick Martin, and CJ Prosise  in the first 3 rounds. I think those signings and that draft along with Luck coming back healthy and getting back to his old self AND a new coaching staff would put us as one of the 2-3 favorites to win the SB. An OLB corps of Miller, Gallette, Mathis, Walden, and Newsome would be a nightmare for opposing QB's. We can get Galette on a pretty cheep 1year deal with all that's happened with him over the last year. He and Von Miller would be monsters opposite one another. Jenkins would give us a rough, tough, physical CB to pair with Vontae. We need some toughness on defense and we need some young playmakers. This would give us both