Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Blowout of the Season

coltsfeva

The game last night reminded me of 2006, when the Colts could not stop the run. Jax finished with 375 yards rushing, Colts lost 44-17 and fans were certain it was the quality of players that was the problem....how'd that year turn out for the Colts? Last year, the Pats fell to the Chiefs 41-14 in week 2 and the question was asked about replacing Brady. Unfortunately, NE ended up with another trophy.

Not having great players is only one aspect where one might lay the blame. Coaching, effort, execution and scheme should also be considered. Colts got their collective butts kicked last night, there is no denying that: Matt wasn't sharp, the O-line was a mess, there was no pass rush and the tackling was as poor as we've seen this year. Add to that, they couldn't capitalize on early turnovers.

A lot of these things can be corrected. There are starters coming back. Colts could end up 10-6 and in the playoffs. Even if the Colts don't make it to the SB this year, a good draft could bring that elusive pass-rusher (s), O-line and secondary help. 

This was the first blowout of the season. If someone told you a month ago, that the Colts would win 3 out of the next 4 games and lose only to Pittsburg, would you have been satisfied?

IMO, it's the fact that we have consistently looked like we don't belong when it comes to playing the upper echelon teams in the NFL. So while it's cool that we are still in the playoff hunt, it almost feels like we are just waiting around for the final knockout blow to the season

I kind of figured Colts would lose this game.  I was extremely happy that they were able to get through the DEN ATL and TB games without letting the season go down the toilet.  With Houston losing yesterday, I'm not going to dwell on this.  They get past Jax and we get some healthy guys back in the mix so we can handle the Texans and coast into the playoffs. 

Other good news, the Pats lost and that puts them in 3rd place, so we might not have to travel to NE for a divisional game :)  However, the Bengals and Broncos play 2nd to last week so NE would have to lose again, in order for that to stay that way!

Obviously we have major issues in the OL and pass rush (but what's new).  I can almost guarantee we won't have these issues next year.  I firmly believe, since Andrew's injuries and other team struggles during the offseason, things will get fixed this time.  No more trying to get the "big named" FA or stacking our WR depth.

It is one game at a time at this point. Can't look ahead. Luck gives us the best chance against the elite teams.

However, I don't think the Patriots game was as close as people make it out to be. Patriots and Steelers are still nightmare match ups for this team, even if the Patriots had just Gronk and not Edelman.

honestly I dont even care that we got beat. we were gonna have a hard time with a healthy team let alone a backup qb, two missing starters on the o-line, missing a starting ILB, two starting dlineman on IR, and zero pass rush

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yeah bills kicked the hell out of is first game of the season. And pats had us taken care of early in the 3rd 

That's not even remotely true.  The score, at the END of the 3rd quarter was 27-21.  That's hardly "taken care of". 

2 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

That's not even remotely true.  The score, at the END of the 3rd quarter was 27-21.  That's hardly "taken care of". 

It's funny that people don't think the pats knew they had that game taken care of they clearly took their foot off the gas early 

11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yeah bills kicked the hell out of is first game of the season. And pats had us taken care of early in the 3rd 

Were you watching the same game as I was? It's easy to dwell on the negative and completely overlook that we had a chance against the patriots and we also was one play from beating the Panthers. We did beat the Broncos. So the doom and gloom mentality is not really true.

Losses like this hang over trust me. It's like you wake up the next morning and you still can't get over it. You think it over and over in your head about what could have happened different to at least make this respectable. Hopefully our team feels that way too. The corners were playing some great coverage at times last night. The Steelers were just that good. We left our whole secondary on an island because of a lack of pass rush. They couldn't hold those physical specimens with perfect coverage when the ball is thrown perfectly to where only they could get it. We get a lot of pass rush from blitzing so Freeman and Thornton being out hurt us tremendously. Also Geathers may have surpassed Mike Adams at this point so the veteran nod may have actually hurt us.

Still for some dumb reason I have hope. I think we take the Jags next week because that's what we do. Look at the Eagles. Winston threw 5 touchdowns against them. We held him to one. They now have a chance at taking their division after beating the Patriots. Sure the Pats are hurt, but look at our team. Let's take care of our division and get healthy. The offensive line is make shift but it will heal watch. A lot of our problems will be solved if we can get healthy going into the playoffs. It's all about getting hot at the right time. And this year more than ever, its any given Sunday. 27/32 teams are still in the playoff race and I would not be surprised by a single one of those teams getting hot and making a run and possibly winning a Super Bowl. Not after a defense even worse than the one we are seeing now turned it around and gave Manning his only ring. Not to mention all the other teams with miraculous turnarounds.

Our defense looked elite in the first two rounds of the playoffs last year after getting smashed by the Steelers this bad. Sure the Patriots game happened, but a good offense with sustained drives leads to a good defense as we've seen before. Luck is coming back so I'm definitely not down to tank to get one possible play maker when it's proven time and time again it does not matter where you draft. Brown was what a 6th round pick? One player drafted like 10 spots higher in the first round will not make a difference. If you eliminate just that one player, we draft higher than anyone else in the rest of the rounds with that logic anyways.

Think if you were a Jags or a Titans fan leading the division right now, would you want to tank it all away? Then neither should we!

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Were you watching the same game as I was? It's easy to dwell on the negative and completely overlook that we had a chance against the patriots and we also was one play from beating the Panthers. We did beat the Broncos. So the doom and gloom mentality is not really true.

Yeah one win against a good team isn't gonna cove the putrid stench that comes from looking like complete garbage against horrible teams like the bills jets saints bucs  jags and Titans 

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yeah one win against a good team isn't gonna cove the putrid stench that comes from looking like complete garbage against horrible teams like the bills jets saints bucs  jags and Titans

bills are .500 team, jets are a playoff team, saints put up 38 on the panthers, and jags and titans are better then their records

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Like I said. Negative mentality. If you choose to be in that frame of mind I guess it's your choice.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

No, thanks for not seeing the obvious. It is apparent that you take this way to serious by passing out the spew and overlooking things for what they are. :sip:

Lol the Titans and jags are 2 of the worst teams in the NFL the saints have one of the worst defenses the bills shredded us with a QB with like 5 starts the only one that's even a lol decent is the jets and they still aren't that good we let Ryan Fitzpatrick look like an all pro those while you are to old and blind to see are big problems 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Lol the Titans and jags are 2 of the worst teams in the NFL the saints have one of the worst defenses the bills shredded us with a QB with like 5 starts the only one that's even a lol decent is the jets and they still aren't that good we let Ryan Fitzpatrick look like an all pro those while you are to old and blind to see are big problems 

If that is all you care to dwell on that is on you. You can hand pick all the negative in the world to make your point but still, it's not the doom and gloom you make it to be.

22 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

It's funny that people don't think the pats knew they had that game taken care of they clearly took their foot off the gas early 

yeah, the Pats took the foot off the pedal with a 6 pt lead.  That sounds perfectly reasonable.  Wait, no, I don't think reasonable is the word I'm looking for.  Ah yes, *ic...that sounds perfectly *ic.  Well done. :thmup:

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

yeah, the Pats took the foot off the pedal with a 6 pt lead.  That sounds perfectly reasonable.  Wait, no, I don't think reasonable is the word I'm looking for.  Ah yes, *ic...that sounds perfectly *ic.  Well done. :thmup:

If not for the garbage pints in the 4th it would have been 34 to 21 pretty much 2 touchdowns not as close as everyone likes to think 

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If not for the garbage pints in the 4th it would have been 34 to 21 pretty much 2 touchdowns not as close as everyone likes to think 

do you have any idea what you're trying to say?  the original comment that I responded to was you saying " And pats had us taken care of early in the 3rd  "  That was absolutely not true.  The Pats did not have the Colts "taken care of" early in the 3rd quarter.  They didn't even have a full TD lead at that point.  

45 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Thanks was waiting for someone to sugar coat that lmao

what part was sugarcoated? those are facts. if you actually watched the titans or jags, youll see their a good football team. not great by any means, but good. their up-and-coming

if we end up with a winning record, we will be among the worst teams to ever get there

it's getting old hearing about the giants playoff runs, that team had a lot of talent on BOTH sides of the ball

we have no pass rush or running game(or coverage for that matter), a playoff run is not happening if we cant even get a hand on the QB

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

It is one game at a time at this point. Can't look ahead. Luck gives us the best chance against the elite teams.

However, I don't think the Patriots game was as close as people make it out to be. Patriots and Steelers are still nightmare match ups for this team, even if the Patriots had just Gronk and not Edelman.

Yeah it seems over the years the Pats, Chargers, and STEELERS have had our number in the Peyton and Luck era's. But yet we usually beat teams like the Broncos, Ravens, and Texans. Matchups are almost everything in Football.

6 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

IMO, it's the fact that we have consistently looked like we don't belong when it comes to playing the upper echelon teams in the NFL. So while it's cool that we are still in the playoff hunt, it almost feels like we are just waiting around for the final knockout blow to the season

I agree! Comes out flat in just about every game. Gets handled by more physical teams more times then not. Always having to play catch up. No killer instinct. Too soft. If it ain't the TEXANS, TITANS, JAGS, or the Broncos, the colts gets handled just about every time. So I'm sorry if it sounds harsh, but I Stand by what I said earlier, a bunch of losers is the colts until they prove otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it seems over the years the Pats, Chargers, and STEELERS have had our number in the Peyton and Luck era's. But yet we usually beat teams like the Broncos, Ravens, and Texans. Matchups are almost everything in Football.

The key is balanced teams give us fits. Ravens, Texans, and recently Broncos in the Peyton era are not balanced offensive teams and are either one dimensional with the run or the pass, IMO.

Patriots and Steelers can hurt you with different game plans though the Patriots are the better at doing that. Chargers, I can never explain, since they have not been a good team recently. The next time we face them, I hope we crush them really bad. The Chargers were more balanced and potent defensively and offensively while Peyton was around more than the Luck era, IMO.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

The key is balanced teams give us fits. Ravens, Texans, and recently Broncos in the Peyton era are not balanced offensive teams and are either one dimensional with the run or the pass, IMO.

Patriots and Steelers can hurt you with different game plans though the Patriots are the better at doing that. Chargers, I can never explain, since they have not been a good team recently. The next time we face them, I hope we crush them really bad. The Chargers were more balanced and potent defensively and offensively while Peyton was around more than the Luck era, IMO.

Yeah Chargers are tough to explain. They have only played us once in the Luck era and yet they even won that one on that Monday Night game. We also own the Chiefs I forgot about them.

6 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Guess Broncos aren't "upper echelon". We've yet to see Luck with Chud aside from that one game. 

1 hour ago, BobbyMorris94 said:

Losses like this hang over trust me. It's like you wake up the next morning and you still can't get over it. You think it over and over in your head about what could have happened different to at least make this respectable. Hopefully our team feels that way too. The corners were playing some great coverage at times last night. The Steelers were just that good. We left our whole secondary on an island because of a lack of pass rush. They couldn't hold those physical specimens with perfect coverage when the ball is thrown perfectly to where only they could get it. We get a lot of pass rush from blitzing so Freeman and Thornton being out hurt us tremendously. Also Geathers may have surpassed Mike Adams at this point so the veteran nod may have actually hurt us.

Still for some dumb reason I have hope. I think we take the Jags next week because that's what we do. Look at the Eagles. Winston threw 5 touchdowns against them. We held him to one. They now have a chance at taking their division after beating the Patriots. Sure the Pats are hurt, but look at our team. Let's take care of our division and get healthy. The offensive line is make shift but it will heal watch. A lot of our problems will be solved if we can get healthy going into the playoffs. It's all about getting hot at the right time. And this year more than ever, its any given Sunday. 27/32 teams are still in the playoff race and I would not be surprised by a single one of those teams getting hot and making a run and possibly winning a Super Bowl. Not after a defense even worse than the one we are seeing now turned it around and gave Manning his only ring. Not to mention all the other teams with miraculous turnarounds.

Our defense looked elite in the first two rounds of the playoffs last year after getting smashed by the Steelers this bad. Sure the Patriots game happened, but a good offense with sustained drives leads to a good defense as we've seen before. Luck is coming back so I'm definitely not down to tank to get one possible play maker when it's proven time and time again it does not matter where you draft. Brown was what a 6th round pick? One player drafted like 10 spots higher in the first round will not make a difference. If you eliminate just that one player, we draft higher than anyone else in the rest of the rounds with that logic anyways.

Think if you were a Jags or a Titans fan leading the division right now, would you want to tank it all away? Then neither should we!

hahahahahahahahaha!
 Our D looked elite the first two rounds of the playoffs last season.
 Gee, how should you look when the Bengals are missing their two best wide receivers and both TE`s.
 LMAO!
 And Manning was "injured" & Horrific. Get _______ real!

7 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Not just upper echelon teams, but many other out of division teams as well  I believe Dustin brought up that we were  like16 - 0 in AFC South and like 13 - 16 (now) out of division.  Or something similar to that. Did you know that the Broncos have now complete 5 straight years of winning all of their division road games?  15 road games wins in a row in the AFC West?  It's true. (KC beat Denver in Sports Authority @ Mile High this year, at minimum). But Denver has other out of Division quality and quantity of wins.  So nobody tells them they  are picking on a weak AFC West (though at times, they were).

Until we get to >+ 0.600 out of Division, I'm going to think we look better than we really are at times. Still, When Colts get hot, it can beat any team.  So never let down.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If you remember, the Colts were winning the battle of field position, until that awful ST play. 

Pretty even game stat-wise: Both Brady and Luck had 312 yards. Gronk was held to 50 yards on 3 catches. Blount held to under 100 yards and so was Edleman. The score was indicative of a close game that it was.

Things change in the NFL. Teams that always beat other teams, loose players, coaches etc. and things turn around. With Andrew Luck under center, the Colts have a better chance to get to the SB in the up-coming years than most teams.

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not just upper echelon teams, but many other out of division teams as well  I believe Dustin brought up that we were  like16 - 0 in AFC South and like 13 - 16 (now) out of division.  Or something similar to that. Did you know that the Broncos have now complete 5 straight years of winning all of their division road games?  15 road games wins in a row in the AFC West?  It's true. (KC beat Denver in Sports Authority @ Mile High this year, at minimum). But Denver has other out of Division quality and quantity of wins.  So nobody tells them they  are picking on a weak AFC West (though at times, they were).

Until we get to >+ 0.600 out of Division, I'm going to think we look better than we really are at times. Still, When Colts get hot, it can beat any team.  So never let down.

In the Andrew Luck era we are 23-17 outside of the Division -the Pats which is 57.5%. I know we have to factor in the Pats which we are 0-5 against so it's 23-22 - still above .500 so it's not like we are bad outside of the Division.

55 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In the Andrew Luck era we are 23-17 outside of the Division -the Pats which is 57.5%. I know we have to factor in the Pats which we are 0-5 against so it's 23-22 - still above .500 so it's not like we are bad outside of the Division.

I just added the games up through week 13 2015, including MH's out of division wins, we are (since 2012) -

20 -1 in the division, 20 - 19  outside of the division.  60 total games, regular season. We are just a pinch over .500.  Again, this is not including any playoff games, just regular season since 2012, Luck and Hasselbeck combined. I believe Luck himself is right at .500 out of division.