Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reality Check – Through Six Weeks, The Patriots Are The Better Team

BlueShoe

The Colts proved they belong among the best teams in the AFC. However, we lost by 7 to the team most people acknowledge is the best team in the NFL.

There is a reason to be optimistic, because we all know the best team after week 6 is usually not the best team after week 17. There is a lot of football to be played, and the Colts have certainly made some headway with the patriots. We closed the gap by 7 points. If we keep improving then there is a good chance we can overcome the gap in time for the playoffs.

There are no moral victories. Only Reality. And reality clearly states the Colts are closer to becoming an equal to the patriots. We are not there yet. There is no guarantee we will get there, but we are making progress.

It’s true. We played aggressively and would have been better off not calling a few trick plays. Obviously going into this game, our coaching staff felt we were the inferior team. After looking at this game tape they might reconsider, and realize the gap is not as wide as they originally thought.

The sooner all Colts fans accept this, the quicker we can move on.

On to the Saints. One week at a time. Let’s see how this plays out.

Be patient Colts fans. We still have 10 regular season games to play. 

The Colts proved they belong among the best teams in the AFC. However, we lost by 7 to the team most people acknowledge is the best team in the NFL.

There is a reason to be optimistic, because we all know the best team after week 6 is usually not the best team after week 17. There is a lot of football to be played, and the Colts have certainly made some headway with the patriots. We closed the gap by 7 points. If we keep improving then there is a good chance we can overcome the gap in time for the playoffs.

There are no moral victories. Only Reality. And reality clearly states the Colts are closer to becoming an equal to the patriots. We are not there yet. There is no guarantee we will get there, but we are making progress.

It’s true. We played aggressively and would have been better off not calling a few trick plays. Obviously going into this game, our coaching staff felt we were the inferior team. After looking at this game tape they might reconsider, and realize the gap is not as wide as they originally thought.

I'd say with a healthy Luck it goes like this in the AFC

1.  NE

2.  Cincinnati (though I still have my doubts but they're coming along)

3/4.  Indy/Denver.  That Denver defense is scary good but Peyton looks terrible.  No running game and no TE to speak of.  If he's having trouble throwing the ball downfield now what is he going to do in December/January when the wind is kicking up and its cold. 

5.  Jets.  ( I hate admitting that)

Last night was just the first of what is looking to be a pretty brutal stretch of games for us coming up. Not at all an ideal time to be 3-3. 

Good thing is we can prolly steal the division at 8-8.

Next week's home game against the Saints is a big one. I won't say "must win" this early in the season -- especially with how bad our division is -- but with how tough the upcoming schedule is, if the Colts lost to an average Saints squad at home they may have to steal one somewhere else.

Last night was just the first of what is looking to be a pretty brutal stretch of games for us coming up. Not at all an ideal time to be 3-3. 

Good thing is we can prolly steal the division at 8-8.

That is one way of looking at it.

The way I see it, our schedule will battle test us and get us ready for the playoffs.

I would rather have a tough stretch then have it handed to us. I do not want us to be in a position to rest our starters in week 17. 

As long as we are playing our best football at the end of the year, then we have a shot.

Next week's home game against the Saints is a big one. I won't say "must win" this early in the season -- especially with how bad our division is -- but with how tough the upcoming schedule is, if the Colts lost to an average Saints squad at home they may have to steal one somewhere else.

That is one way of looking at it.

The way I see it, our schedule will battle test us and get us ready for the playoffs.

I would rather have a tough stretch then have it handed to us. I do not want us to be in a position to rest our starters in week 17. 

As long as we are playing our best football at the end of the year, then we have a shot.

My concern is that now that we are getting into the meat of the season where things get difficult that we are gonna start seeing the injuries pile up so that when we're finally out of the tough part of the schedule to the end (which looks fairly favorable at this time) we're gonna be too banged up to truly recover. 

But like I said, the biggest thing we've got going for us in the division. We're not playing for a bye week, and we know that. We have one game up on the entire division so far, and that is huge. Winning the division at this point is goals 1-1,000,000. I really don't think there is going to be a whole lot of difference between the 3rd and 4th seed anyways. 

One could argue that every game is a must win, the rest of the way. This team is going to be ready for the playoffs. 

We know the Colts will fall anywhere between 3-13 and 13-13. 

My concern is that now that we are getting into the meat of the season where things get difficult that we are gonna start seeing the injuries pile up so that when we're finally out of the tough part of the schedule to the end (which looks fairly favorable at this time) we're gonna be too banged up to truly recover. 

But like I said, the biggest thing we've got going for us in the division. We're not playing for a bye week, and we know that. We have one game up on the entire division so far, and that is huge. Winning the division at this point is goals 1-1,000,000. I really don't think there is going to be a whole lot of difference between the 3rd and 4th seed anyways. 

I think playing the way we have been playing lately we could beat NYJ in the divisional. 5 turnovers including a Gore fumble in the red zone can be corrected.

One could argue that every game is a must win, the rest of the way. This team is going to be ready for the playoffs. 

We know the Colts will fall anywhere between 3-13 and 13-13. 

I see what you're saying. But on the other hand, 7-9 may get our division winner into the playoffs (although 8-8 is probably more likely), so perhaps not.

I'd say with a healthy Luck it goes like this in the AFC

1.  NE

2.  Cincinnati (though I still have my doubts but they're coming along)

3/4.  Indy/Denver.  That Denver defense is scary good but Peyton looks terrible.  No running game and no TE to speak of.  If he's having trouble throwing the ball downfield now what is he going to do in December/January when the wind is kicking up and its cold. 

5.  Jets.  ( I hate admitting that)

Pittsburgh is better than both Indy and Denver when Ben is back.

I'm with you fellow Colts fan..

I can agree on that

Maybe a wash. Pitt is better offensively and Denver defensively. I would still take Cincy over both to challenge the Pats.

Lol not even close.  Pit can beat Denver handily (your discount of the Steelers defense is so odd) and Cinci will buckle to the Steelers just like every year.  With Ben the Steelers will be the team to beat as that defense is starting to really come together and they have been doing it without one of their best defensive players on the field in Shazier.  If you put in 2 of their top 3 players back into the lineup they run away with the game in NE earlier in the year. Whomever can beat the Steelers will need to be able to shut down the run and have a legitimate game breaking receiver (whether it is a TE or WR).  In my eyes the AFC is a 2 horse race of NE and Pitt and they both have ways to beat each other with Pit holding the more explosive offense and better run defense. 

Maybe a wash. Pitt is better offensively and Denver defensively. I would still take Cincy over both to challenge the Pats.

I feel like we've all had this conversation for the last three years about how "this is the year Cincy finally does it." Yes, their roster is loaded (as it's been the last few years), but until Cincy actually wins a playoff game they don't deserve to be in the conversation for winning the AFC despite how much the media is gushing over them right now.

I feel like we've all had this conversation for the last three years about how "this is the year Cincy finally does it." Yes, their roster is loaded (as it's been the last few years), but until Cincy actually wins a playoff game they don't deserve to be in the conversation for winning the AFC despite how much the media is gushing over them right now.

I don't believe in basing any season on past performance. I think last night game's showed how silly is to do that. Right now Cincy is the most balanced, most loaded team and Dalton has playing fantastic especially vs Seattle when he led the come back late. Of course he has something to prove in Jan but that does not mean he won't.

I don't believe in basing any season on past performance. I think last night game's showed how silly is to do that. Right now Cincy is the most balanced, most loaded team and Dalton has playing fantastic especially vs Seattle when he led the come back late. Of course he has something to prove in Jan but that does not mean he won't.

A week ago, you were criticizing the Bengals for not firing Marvin Lewis...

I thought it was abundantly clear well before last nights game that the Patriots were a better team with better coaching. Quite honestly I am just happy we kept the game close and didn't get ran out of our own building again, The reality is I think some of us knew we were not on their level....We have plenty of physical talent on this team but quite simply not the coaching and execution and fundamentals to back it up. In reality position by position I think we are closer to them talent wise (physically speaking) then some would say......Game Planning, Fundamentals, Execution...Attention to detail...That's where the Patriots are superior

All that was evident to me last night is that the Pats have better coaching. Colts could have very well won last night if not for the horrible onside kick ruling and the stupid botched fake punt nonsense.

Still could have won, to be honest. But that play didn't help our cause at all.