Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Punt play fail (merge)

Crunked

Wasn't Pagano already in "hot water"? Unless he is going to be canned later today this is nothing new. I doubt anything happens until the offseason.

Agreed - nothing happens this season.  Its tough to remove a HC mid-season when you're a playoff team.  But if the rumor is true, he's officially lame duck and that's never good for an organization

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah they won't even blame the playcalling which led to these tricks it's 4th and 1 we've run it with ease we try a trick play instead of just running it down thier throats like they do us every 4th and 1

if u want to go for it on 4th down in our OWN territory in a 1 score game u go with gore OR you do what 31 other coaches in the NFL would of done and PUNT the $#@$@$#@%$@$@$%#$%$^%&%*&%$#@#@#$ ball omg im so mad. we would of beat them in a  straight up no nonsense game ... coaches felt like since NE always gets cute with us we have to do the same thing back to them.. all we had to do was play common sense football.. luck was rusty and didn't play a great game and we still would of beat them. im so disappointed don't even know what to say

I still say the call wasn't bad.  

I disagree and so do most it appears.   They were obviously not ready to run this play.  Whether Anderson initiated the snap or Whalen snapped it on his own, it is obvious they were not ready for this play in a game situation.    That is all on Pagano.   Choosing to use a play that is not ready.   Doing it against the Pats.   Doing it while down by only 6.   Doing it on your own 37 yard line.  

Surely if the play had been practiced, they would know the situations not to snap the ball.  

Griff can be underrated as a WR, I give him that. Lots of people think he shouldn't be on the team but he did a good job, even making a TD catch. What absolutely kills me is him snapping that ball that was never supposed to be snapped to begin with. I heard that they practiced that all week. How do we practice that all week and mess it up? All he literally had to do was stand there and hold the ball and never snap it. That easy.

Griff never should of been put in that position. period. im fed up with people blaming griff he is a no 5 receiver (underrated) and a returner. that's what he does. Michael Irvin said it Why did you put me in that position ?

Punts and kicks he's not spectacular but solid........but keeping butler from an int late in the 4th qtr sealed it for me, I don't need flashy on the KR/PR but what he adds is important....and I can live with that

Did you not see him snap the ball on the fake punt?

Like seriously, what did he think was going to happen?

That alone is grounds for cut, the dude shouldn't even be on the roster.

He's gone in the offseason. We need a major overall of the coaching staff, we need a fresh start. 

The question is, who is willing enough to take the job ?

Maybe Bill Belichick wants to extend his career after Brady retires and come over to the dark side.  Could you imagine him in a Colts hoodie?  lol.

Pagano didn't trust his defense to get the ball back is the issue.  he also didn't think that his OL could line-up and get that yard.  This was the signs of a coach who was desperate and didn't think that his team can line-up and get a stop or 1 yard with the game on the line

He needs to explain that play

I dont blame Colt Or Griff at all for that play.  Yeah, they screwed up but they never ever ever ever ever ever ever should have been in that position to begin with.  That's solely on the coaching.  Pagano needs fired NOW

I dont blame Colt Or Griff at all for that play. Yeah, they screwed up but they never ever ever ever ever ever ever should have been in that position to begin with. That's solely on the coaching. Pagano needs fired NOW

the players screwed up. No need to make excuses for whalen

As he should be, Lets be honest we  were at our best when Arians was in charge. I say get rid of Grigson, and get a proven winner in the GM spot, and same goes for  head coach. And for the love of everything holy take down the stupid finalist banner. My Facebook page cant take  anymore of the ridicule!!! Hang a banner when we earn it!

Griff never should of been put in that position. period. im fed up with people blaming griff he is a no 5 receiver (underrated) and a returner. that's what he does. Michael Irvin said it Why did you put me in that position ?

Well he was put in that position and he did what he wasn't supposed to. Whew.

Tell....what the heck was the goal of that play before the snap?  Tell me how that play would have ever worked......

this is how it would of worked they would of jumped offsides and the penalties would of offset then we would of punted like the other 31 teams in the league /disgusted

this is how it would of worked they would of jumped offsides and the penalties would of offset then we would of punted like the other 31 teams in the league /disgusted

Nope.  I think they were trying to simply outsmart one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, despite the cheating.  And I absolutely hate the patriots. But thats a play you call in the red zone or at least on their side of the field. you dont do it with your back on the 30 yard line and going backwards.

I disagree and so do most it appears.   They were obviously not ready to run this play.  Whether Anderson initiated the snap or Whalen snapped it on his own, it is obvious they were not ready for this play in a game situation.    That is all on Pagano.   Choosing to use a play that is not ready.   Doing it against the Pats.   Doing it while down by only 6.   Doing it on your own 37 yard line.  

Surely if the play had been practiced, they would know the situations not to snap the ball.  

Well, I've been in the minority before!   :P   Seriously, if Pags is to be blamed for something, it was that obviously, they needed more practice on this play before using it.  

My contention though, is the call itself.  I still don't fault them for trying to pull out all the stops and trying to get the win.  We've been here before, including being in a competitive game in the third, only to get blown out anyway.  So try something.  I have no problem with that.  Just bad execution.  

Nope.  I think they were trying to simply outsmart one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, despite the cheating.  And I absolutely hate the patriots. But thats a play you call in the red zone or at least on their side of the field. you dont do it with your back on the 30 yard line and going backwards.

they were trying to be cute in a game that we easily could of won all they had to do was play no nonsense

I don't think he should be on the hot seat for that.

I doubt that Pagano is in hot water just for that one play. Unless the Colts make drastic improvement in their play, major changes will take place at the end of the season, IMO.

I agree. Coaches will practically throw themselves at us just to coach Luck. I'm sure we would find a good to great coach.

Depends, earlier reports said that Grigson was pretty hands on and telling the coach who to start etc. 

If those rumors are true or if they are believed then we might have a difficult time.

However if Grigson is hands off or he gets fired we should get the pick of the litter. 

Guys. Are we all a little slow today? It's not that hard to spell it out.

Well, just watching that play killed 2/3rds of my brain cells.......

But no, the play wasn't for penalties, wasn't for 12 men, it was designed as a homerun/dagger play.

Below is how it was supposed to work....provided the pats lined up right. But they didnt so Pags should have at least called time out.  But before that, it never should have been called, especially with 2 players not used to handling those types of plays.  If Pat had been the caller or if he'd tucked it and ran and failed, thats one thing.  But this play was the dumbest play in NFL history.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/10/19/maine-football-trolls-colts-twitter/

Well, just watching that play killed 2/3rds of my brain cells.......

But no, the play wasn't for penalties, wasn't for 12 men, it was designed as a homerun/dagger play.

Below is how it was supposed to work....provided the pats lined up right. But they didnt so Pags should have at least called time out.  But before that, it never should have been called, especially with 2 players not used to handling those types of plays.  If Pat had been the caller or if he'd tucked it and ran and failed, thats one thing.  But this play was the dumbest play in NFL history.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/10/19/maine-football-trolls-colts-twitter/

We know how it works but I don't think the Colts were going to go with that play anyway. I was thinking if they had the correct formation and drew them offsides, they would get a brand new set of downs. If not, they would take the delay of game and punt the ball away.

im not 100% sure but I belive if they are called offsides the penalty would offset because illegal formation BUT on the other side of the argument even if your simply saying the intention was to be lined up correctly that responsibility falls on the coach and he didn't see that the formation was illegal and failed to call a timeout ive been defending this coaching staff for 3 years not anymore there not cut out to coach the NFL