Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Punt play fail (merge)

Crunked

Julian Edelman: "You're not surprised by anything (with) how they play. They tried the onside kick and (fake punt). You know, Colts."

As some poster have already said, you need to be honest with your team. 

Bottom line I have seen the colts make more onside kicks and fake punts than any other team in the past two years.  I like the idea and find it refreshing. 

It can work and be a great thing at times in games and can turn around the momentum and as coach said gives the team an opportunity to steal a possession.

However, with that said, they do run the risk as these plays are high risk and can require great execution to come off.  Also, as some are unorthodox, they can place players in a position that they are not used to which can result in plays not going well as players are not familiar (have second nature) with what to do. 

Here they tried to run a fake punt with the thought that if they do not get a great look just take a delay of game or call timeout.  However without a traditional center over the ball, the player is not used to doing this and things happen.

Bottom line when you go to the well too many times (with an unorthodox play) sometimes you get burnt.  Which is why most teams do not do this very often as the colts.  Not saying its right or wrong just that one needs to accept the possible consequences, sometimes you steal a possession with an onside kick, sometimes a player not in his comfort zone makes a mistake or a high risk play is stopped.

As for the pats preparation, we always prepare and there is no secret that the colts do these kind of things, especially reminded so after they tried the onside kick earlier in the game.  So please do not be mad if the opponent states the obvious that he is playing a team that likes to take said chances.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly. He went from a punt returner getting some solid returns, Cleveland didn't even wanna offer him that much money. He stays home and becomes the guy. I don't like him personally for the arrogance but the guy is the best player on the field every single week, which is a testament to NEs incredible coaching. Don't rebuild; reload.

And we are fortunate that he is staying healthy as the first few years he had the injury bug.

Um. Yes. Yes there was. Did you not see him throw the ball at the wall where the fans were after his score? Him screaming at the refs when he didn't get a play call. When our guy scoops and scores on a dead play and our guy stops running when he heard the whistle and Edelman came in hot to try and pop the ball out of his hands 3 seconds after the whistle. If you think NE respects us that's just on you only being a fan do 3 years and a month.

Edelman does the throwing the ball against the wall even at home, so that's not disrespect. The screaming at the refs?? That's disrespecting the colts how?? As for the last one who knows what was said also in the heat of the game.

Trust me I am sure the is no love loss between the teams but both teams respect the other.

The players want Pagano to stay. Three straight years of playoff football and after last night NE will not be looking forward to playing us in the playoffs this year. Overall performance was satisfactory comparing it to the previous game of this season against teams far less superior than NE. The "slaughter that nearly everyone in sports said is coming never got off the ground. The Colts scored first against the "best" team in the NFL While the crazy play was embarrassing the Colts played inspired football for 60 minutes. This was the Colts' best performance of the year and they did it because they proved they can. I am sure the Pats players were disappointed  that they did not fulfill the massacre game so many spoke of. Too bad guys, see you in the playoffs.  

Saying that everyone from Boston is a massive * with a small man syndrome is nonsense...

Have you ever even been to New England or do you just like to spout off the stereotypes?

I grew up in New England, I went to school in RI for undergrad and masters, I go to Boston very frequently. Still live in New England.

I grew up in New England, I went to school in RI for undergrad and masters, I go to Boston very frequently. Still live in New England.

Well ok then.

So what the heck happened to you that made you become so anti-the place where you grew up and essentially never left?

Well ok then.

So what the heck happened to you that made you become so anti-the place where you grew up and essentially never left?

My great grandpa lived in Baltimore and moved up here a long time ago and we stuck with the team. I remember being young wearing my Colts sweater at a minor league hockey game and a bunch of older pats fans who had no business talking % to a little kid but did anyway. It's easy to get picked on when you are the one Colts fan living in New England your whole life.

What gets me... is that they practiced this play the past week. How about instead of practicing trick plays, we take the time to clean up all the senseless penalties? Try to fix all the holding and face mask calls? If we had played an error free game, we probably wouldn't need all of the trick plays to begin with. We might have even won the game last night....

My great grandpa lived in Baltimore and moved up here a long time ago and we stuck with the team. I remember being young wearing my Colts sweater at a minor league hockey game and a bunch of older pats fans who had no business talking % to a little kid but did anyway. It's easy to get picked on when you are the one Colts fan living in New England your whole life.

Ahhh I see. And you wanna criticize people for have an inferiority complex???

Ahhh I see. And you wanna criticize people for have an inferiority complex???

Correct - most Boston fans I know hate being NY's little brother and think the rules that apply to everyone else don't apply to them. I get the American Revolution was a home game for you guys and you should be proud but trying to compare yourself to NY outside of sports or trying to host an Olympics is ridiculous.

The answer was just the politically correct thing to say. The truth is that Griff Whalen screwed up, and this is entirely on him.

This is really simple. They would have tried a trick play if their shift had confused the Patriots enough for them to be misaligned, and if not, then they were to try to draw them offsides. If not, take the delay of game and then go out there and punt. It's not rocket science.

For whatever reason, Whalen decided to snap the ball, whether he got mixed up with the cadence or the Pats simulated the snap count (Deion's theory) or whatever. They didn't get the look they wanted, so the ball should never have been snapped. He messed up, and then we were left with a disaster on our hands.

I cannot lay sole fault at Whalen's feet. That play was dead upon design. I mean, I can hear my old middle school coaches preaching situational awareness from over 10 years ago that taught us at even that age not to be fooled by gimmickery like that. 

I get that we wanted to draw them offsides (Though little that would have helped with the illegal formation penalty, which would have offset any penalty they committed) but was that really the best way to attempt that?

No. I don't even think that would be on the list of top 10 ways to accomplish that. 

And this is something they've been saving for a rainy day. They've been waiting to run that play. And of all the teams they could have picked to run it against, they chose the best coached team. If they ran that play 1,000 times out of the blue against the Patriots, I think there is only a fraction of a chance it would be successful once. A Belichick team is not going to be fooled by whatever that was. 

Lets look at this logically. Lets wind the clocks back 48 hours. Someone says "Here's what we need to run: We're gonna put a wide receiver at center, a safety at QB, we're going to run a makeshift punt formation on the far right side of the field, and we're going to try and draw them offsides, or into encroachment." what would the reaction have been?

There were about 100 better ways to attempt what that play was supposed to attempt. The fact that no one on our coaching staff recognized that until it was too late is downright scary. 

I cannot lay sole fault at Whalen's feet. That play was dead upon design. I mean, I can hear my old middle school coaches preaching situational awareness from over 10 years ago that taught us at even that age not to be fooled by gimmickery like that. 

I get that we wanted to draw them offsides (Though little that would have helped with the illegal formation penalty, which would have offset any penalty they committed) but was that really the best way to attempt that?

No. I don't even think that would be on the list of top 10 ways to accomplish that. 

And this is something they've been saving for a rainy day. They've been waiting to run that play. And of all the teams they could have picked to run it against, they chose the best coached team. If they ran that play 1,000 times out of the blue against the Patriots, I think there is only a fraction of a chance it would be successful once. A Belichick team is not going to be fooled by whatever that was. 

Lets look at this logically. Lets wind the clocks back 48 hours. Someone says "Here's what we need to run: We're gonna put a wide receiver at center, a safety at QB, we're going to run a makeshift punt formation on the far right side of the field, and we're going to try and draw them offsides, or into encroachment." what would the reaction have been?

There were about 100 better ways to attempt what that play was supposed to attempt. The fact that no one on our coaching staff recognized that until it was too late is downright scary. 

I think of the direct snap to Patrick Chung the Pats tried to run against NYJ in the playoffs in 2010. Had he caught the direct snap it would have easily been a first (he dropped the snap, picked it up and ran a little but was already surrounded). That's a fake punt call, not the garbage Chuck allowed to be in the playbook and worked on since LAST YEAR.

Correct - most Boston fans I know hate being NY's little brother and think the rules that apply to everyone else don't apply to them. I get the American Revolution was a home game for you guys and you should be proud but trying to compare yourself to NY outside of sports or trying to host an Olympics is ridiculous.

I think you have tunnel vision. 

What rules do we think don't apply to us? 0 people that I know even think twice about being 'New York's little brother'...we literally have no opinion about it nor do we try to be New York or compare ourselves to New York. 

And thank you for saying we should be proud about the American Revolution...you're so sweet.

You must not know very many Bostonians.

Dude, stop.

Your team lost again to the Patriots and you're upset about it. But relax with this spit.

He's exactly correct.  Having commuted to work in Boston from Indy for a number of years in the past, "little brother complex" is exactly the right term.  Always trying to be NYC but never can.

In Indy, we just live in fly over country so we have a different point of view.

Edelmann and Brady both have that attitude, as did Welker, who by all accounts by many in the NFL and the public is a complete *.

I get the feeling Pagano thought he might have been coaching for his job in this one with the weird, off the wall decisions. He gambled and lost...literally. I think this is the loss that sealed the deal. Pagano will not be here next year. Now the question is....who will be joining him?

Manusky playing heavy zone defense against Brady didn't help his case any. Brady shreds zone defenses. As much is a fact. It's not something new, it's something that's been going on for 10 years now. 

And yet we were just like "Whatevs..."

This defense is starting to look a lot like it did under caldwell and coyer this year with it's coverage. Just before the half last night it was 3rd and 7, and or corners were lined up BEYOND the FD marker. Brady easily converted a FD, but NE was holding so it went back for 3rd and 17. What did we do? Let a screen go for a FD. 

And these aren't things that were exclusive to last night. These are things that have been going on ALL SEASON. 

I basically said the same thing before I even read this post.  You're spot on, bro.

Honest question...How old are you?

I just want to know what demographic you are using as a representative for all things Boston...

mid to late 20's - yourself? I actually went to Fenway Park this summer for the first time for a concert, it was awesome but my ticket didnt say there would be a pole right in front of my seat

I put that fully on the coaches. Really you are going to try this in a professional football game. Especially when you are still in it. I also don't understand why you would even waste the time in practice on it. Also there was obviously a lot of confusion CALL TIMEOUT!!

mid to late 20's - yourself? I actually went to Fenway Park this summer for the first time for a concert, it was awesome but my ticket didnt say there would be a pole right in front of my seat

Hahhha the dreaded Fenway column seats! I've been fortunate to avoid those for the most part...imagine having one of those babies in front of you when you're trying to catch a ball game!

What gets me... is that they practiced this play the past week. How about instead of practicing trick plays, we take the time to clean up all the senseless penalties? Try to fix all the holding and face mask calls? If we had played an error free game, we probably wouldn't need all of the trick plays to begin with. We might have even won the game last night....

my thought was if you wanted to go for it then just leave the offense out there or run McAfee on a fake. That formation should have never been tried. They should have just punted. They got too cute and paid for it.

As cleaning stuff up I agree the holding calls are out of control. Starting fining the linemen every time they are called for one. As for the facemask that happened once last night and was just a case of trying to get a really fast guy down. Clearly they weren't trying to facemask him. That's one of those it happens plays.

Hahhha the dreaded Fenway column seats! I've been fortunate to avoid those for the most part...imagine having one of those babies in front of you when you're trying to catch a ball game!

Lol, we were saying at least with a game you only lose one part of the field and the ball can be hit anywhere, with the Foo Fighters concert one of our four seats was completely obstructed from the stage so I took it and let my gf and my best friend and his gf that live up there take the other seats. I complained enough to stubhub to get credit that got us broadway tickets so it was worth it.

Funny how many people are blaming Whalen for snapping the ball.   We all should be upset that he was in the long snapper position at all.  

Pagano blew this big time.   It was a classic high risk low reward play call.  

Pagano keeps proving how bad of a coach he is.   The Colts are undisciplined (3rd most penalties in the league).  He allows *ic play calls or makes them himself.  He tries low percentage plays on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1 even when the running game has been doing great.

If not for his illness, we would have Arians as the head coach.   Now that guy can coach.

Lol, we were saying at least with a game you only lose one part of the field and the ball can be hit anywhere, with the Foo Fighters concert one of our four seats was completely obstructed from the stage so I took it and let my gf and my best friend and his gf that live up there take the other seats. I complained enough to stubhub to get credit that got us broadway tickets so it was worth it.

Yeah unless that one part of the field that's blocked is the batters box!

I was at Fenway for the Foo Fighters too....unbelievable show.

That was one of the most head scratching calls I have ever seen especially given the point in the game. Down 6, deep in your own end. Just punt it there or keep the offense on and try to draw Pats off-sides. It was amazing how much that swung momentum as the Pats scored on the short field to go 13 and then Indy just started passing the rest of the way.

Colts were down by 6 and the defense was playing pretty good. Talk about deflated. That play totally deflated the energy the Colts had.

Yeah unless that one part of the field that's blocked is the batters box!

I was at Fenway for the Foo Fighters too....unbelievable show.

That's awesome, we went first night since it was a Saturday and had to travel across CT. My Hero is my favorite song by them reminds me of my grandpa who ended up passing away less than 2 weeks later so it was a really special moment to see it live, acoustic, with the whole crowd into it. I'll never forget it

Julian Edelman: "You're not surprised by anything (with) how they play. They tried the onside kick and (fake punt). You know, Colts

at least Colts keep it interesting, not sure if I'm really sick of the dink and dunk crap from the Pats, or more PO'd that it still works! LOL!!!!!

I mean, I think back to my days even in middle school football. One of the things that coaches drilled into our heads early on in camp was special teams awareness. We covered situations exactly like what happened last night, and the first and most important thing we were coached to do was "man up at home", meaning no matter what they did with the formation, we kept as many guys around the ball as they had. If there were two guys at the ball, keep two guys on them. We were told to clearly communicate who we had, and reminded to never bite on anything until after the ball was snapped. 

It was just such an easily countered attempt to trick them that it was really little more than a wasted effort. I think you'd be hard pressed to find an NFL team undisciplined enough to bite on that.