Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Won't they Unleash Dorsett?

Defjamz26

Every time I've seen Dorsett catching a pass no one is even close to him. He's beating coverage rather easily, and it's been going on since pre-season. But the staff seems to be playing it safe with him. The staff didn't play him heavily until the 4th quarter but it was too late.

As soon as Hilton went down he should have seen his workload. I'm not sure why they're shy about playing him.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I've seen Dorsett catching a pass no one is even close to him. He's beating coverage rather easily, and it's been going on since pre-season. But the staff seems to be playing it safe with him. The staff didn't play him heavily until the 4th quarter but it was too late.

As soon as Hilton went down he should have seen his workload. I'm not sure why they're shy about playing him.

He learns how to catch a Punt, he can get on the offense

Until then, no.

Well, not really no cause Hilton hurt now so he's forced to play next week

IMO, you don't use a 1st rd pick on a guy to be a footnote in your gameplan. If they aren't going to let him see time on the field it was a complete and total waste of a pick. They could've used that pick on somebody that could actually contribute more than muffing punt returns.

Because if he isn't a star in Week 1 of his first season, he won't ever be good for your team...

Good heavens...

Because if he isn't a star in Week 1 of his first season, he won't ever be good for your team...

Good heavens...

Never said that he won't ever be good, don't put words into my mouth.

How many first round picks from this last draft are as far down on the depth chart as Dorsett is?

IMO, first rounders are meant to be an instant contributor to your team, not a back up or a project.  I take it you disagree?

As I said in another post, Dorsett is a player that needs to play right now.  The coaches are not playing him because he is a rookie and he is not their favorite player (or the player they would have chose on draft day), and he not know every 20,000 routes they got in the play book.  I guess these same coaches would sit a Jerry Rice or a Randy Moss because he does not know those 20,000 routes.  Again no way am I comparing Dorsett to Jerry or Randy.  Dorsett has a lot to prove and live up too.  But he should be out there game one play one. The coaches got him in there on punt returns on a rainy day, with our very special team blocking, Dorsett was set up to fail. It would not shock me if that coach does not have him lining up to kick the ball off next game.

Here a thought, play Dorsett with Ty and see what happens.  We might score more than 14 points.  We might score more than 30 points.  I know they are going to keep playing Donte, because he knows the plays, Play Donte, and Luck throw 10 more interceptions.  Play Donte, and you thought that head kicking in New England was something.  Wait until this year,  Donte is a OK receiver against AFC south, but not against the rest of the league.  Colts coaching staff quit playing your favorites and play Dorsett, he can open time and time again.   

Never said that he won't ever be good, don't put words into my mouth.

How many first round picks from this last draft are as far down on the depth chart as Dorsett is?

IMO, first rounders are meant to be an instant contributor to your team, not a back up or a project. I take it you disagree?

You called him a wasted pick.

He isn't that far down the depth chart. The Colts WR corpa has been undermined by injuries and ineffective play the last three seasons. Already Hilton isn't 100%.

He also isn't a project, so we can move on from that.

Ideally a first round pick would play a big role right away, but that's not a strict condition for first rounders. Nor is it rare for first rounders to take some time before they start contributing. Shane Ray played 15 snaps yesterday.

The draft is for adding talent within the parameters of your team philosophy, not for filling needs or addressing concerns with roster management. Take the best players for your team, and your team gets better.

IMO, you don't use a 1st rd pick on a guy to be a footnote in your gameplan.  If they aren't going to let him see time on the field it was a complete and total waste of a pick.  They could've used that pick on somebody that could actually contribute more than muffing punt returns.

Andrew luck wasn't good his first game ether' guess we should have cut him!

Feed Moncrief last year and now he's dead to everyone.

Moncrief is OK, but he is not better than Dorsett at all.  He may know the play book, the routes, but that's it.  Defenses do not fear him or respect his game no separation at all.  The two catches Dorsett had the defenses played off him because they had no choice.  Play the man who has the ability to change the game, Dorsett.  Outside of that Pittsburgh game I can not remember when he ever got behind the defense. 

You called him a wasted pick.

He isn't that far down the depth chart. The Colts WR corpa has been undermined by injuries and ineffective play the last three seasons. Already Hilton isn't 100%.

He also isn't a project, so we can move on from that.

Ideally a first round pick would play a big role right away, but that's not a strict condition for first rounders. Nor is it rare for first rounders to take some time before they start contributing. Shane Ray played 15 snaps yesterday.

The draft is for adding talent within the parameters of your team philosophy, not for filling needs or addressing concerns with roster management. Take the best players for your team, and your team gets better.

What I said was if they don't let him see the field he will be a waste of a pick.  If being the key word.  This team is in a win now mentality, and had already wasted a cpl other first rounders on players that either aren't on the team any more, or have found themselves pretty much relegated to STs duty.  IMO, they can't afford to spend another on a guy who is needing an injury by somebody else to see the field.

4th on the depth chart is a lot further down than any other first rounder

While it's not a strict condition, I assure you that the intention is for them to play and contribute from the get go.  Who uses a first round pick to sit the bench?

I don't think I can take the bolded seriously.  How is the draft not used for filling needs or addressing concerns.  A team needs a safety, chances are if they didn't get one in FA they are going to draft one.

As I said in another post, Dorsett is a player that needs to play right now.  The coaches are not playing him because he is a rookie and he is not their favorite player (or the player they would have chose on draft day), and he not know every 20,000 routes they got in the play book.  I guess these same coaches would sit a Jerry Rice or a Randy Moss because he does not know those 20,000 routes.  Again no way am I comparing Dorsett to Jerry or Randy.  Dorsett has a lot to prove and live up too.  But he should be out there game one play one. The coaches got him in there on punt returns on a rainy day, with our very special team blocking, Dorsett was set up to fail. It would not shock me if that coach does not have him lining up to kick the ball off next game.

Here a thought, play Dorsett with Ty and see what happens.  We might score more than 14 points.  We might score more than 30 points.  I know they are going to keep playing Donte, because he knows the plays, Play Donte, and Luck throw 10 more interceptions.  Play Donte, and you thought that head kicking in New England was something.  Wait until this year,  Donte is a OK receiver against AFC south, but not against the rest of the league.  Colts coaching staff quit playing your favorites and play Dorsett, he can open time and time again.   

No question Dorsett needs more burn with the O, but damn you don't gotta be THAT hard on Donte after the 1st game. He's going to be fine. We just have to stick with the run & not inexcusably abandon it after the 1st qtr cause like Herremans said after the game, the passing attack will suffer if we don't run the ball & I saw that Frank & Pep were having a talk after the game & by how irked Frank appeared to be in his post game interview, please believe he will be getting that rock vs the Jets.

Also Pep's offense is considered "TE friendly" right? If that's the case, & I didn't see the game so I'm just going mainly by the stat line, then there's absolutely no way that Allen & Fleener should have just a total of 4 rec 22 yds TD between them. They're way too talented for that to happen & maybe we need to look at Andrew as to why he didn't get them more involved.

Moncrief is OK, but he is not better than Dorsett at all.  He may know the play book, the routes, but that's it.  Defenses do not fear him or respect his game no separation at all.  The two catches Dorsett had the defenses played off him because they had no choice.  Play the man who has the ability to change the game, Dorsett.  Outside of that Pittsburgh game I can not remember when he ever got behind the defense. 

Redskins game. Bengals playoff game.

Moncrief has some great ability. We just need to see him play when Luck gets more time to make decisions which should be coming in this soft part of our schedule.

It was a but it odd he got so little time at WR. According to Venturi AJ was getting manhandled by Gilmore all day.

Gilmore is 1 of the best kept secrets in football. If you look at his numbers from last season, they rivaled Vontae, Revis, & Sherman. Dude can ball so don't be surprise if you hear his name among the NFL's best CBs by season's end.

Feed Moncrief last year and now he's dead to everyone.

Donte is a stud....with a year of experience under his belt....and way better than Ancient Andre already.

If they 'feed Moncrief' now, the Colts will be all the better for it.

Play Dorsett a little to stretch the field.

Let Andre do 'move the chains' duty (which could just as easily be done by Griff)

What I said was if they don't let him see the field he will be a waste of a pick. If being the key word. This team is in a win now mentality, and had already wasted a cpl other first rounders on players that either aren't on the team any more, or have found themselves pretty much relegated to STs duty. IMO, they can't afford to spend another on a guy who is needing an injury by somebody else to see the field.

4th on the depth chart is a lot further down than any other first rounder

While it's not a strict condition, I assure you that the intention is for them to play and contribute from the get go. Who uses a first round pick to sit the bench?

I don't think I can take the bolded seriously. How is the draft not used for filling needs or addressing concerns. A team needs a safety, chances are if they didn't get one in FA they are going to draft one.

Why are you under the impression Dorsett won't see the field?

He's not 4th on tbe depth chart. There are two starters, and each starter has a backup. Then there are 3WR and even 4WR sets. Fourth on the depth chart would mean three people have to get hurt or benched for him to play.

I'm not surprised you have an issue with "don't draft for need," as all anyoneever wants to talk about is need, but the draft is not about filling needs. It's about adding the best players you can, and always has been. That's the reason it exists. Sometimes need becomes more of an issue. It's still not the point of the draft to fill needs.

Overall, I don't get why we're talking about Dorsett's reps after one game. Or even one season.

Donte is a stud....with a year of experience under his belt....and way better than Ancient Andre already.

If they 'feed Moncrief' now, the Colts will be all the better for it.

Play Dorsett a little to stretch the field.

Let Andre do 'move the chains' duty (which could just as easily be done by Griff)

People are overreacting to Moncrief's first game and they are overreacting to Andre as well.

Back to back muffed kicks one recovered the other not - geeesh yah turn him loose.

Clearly he needs work on ST but as a receiver he's been nothing but promising.

But as another poster said, we did the same thing with Hilton. And Moncrief as well now that I think about it. This is not the time to be slowly phasing in a guy. The kid is an X factor, let him play until he plays bad enough to cut back his snaps,

I could care less about his PR skills. He wasn't drafted in the 1st round to be Devin Hester. Take away his PR duties but please get this kid more involved in the offense.

Clearly he needs work on ST but as a receiver he's been nothing but promising.

But as another poster said, we did the same thing with Hilton. And Moncrief as well now that I think about it. This is not the time to be slowly phasing in a guy. The kid is an X factor, let him play until he plays bad enough to cut back his snaps,

I could care less about his PR skills. He wasn't drafted in the 1st round to be Devin Hester. Take away his PR duties but please get this kid more involved in the offense.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006-11-06/sports/0611060171_1_dolphins-ball-10-yard-line

Why are you under the impression Dorsett won't see the field?

He's not 4th on tbe depth chart. There are two starters, and each starter has a backup. Then there are 3WR and even 4WR sets. Fourth on the depth chart would mean three people have to get hurt or benched for him to play.

I'm not surprised you have an issue with "don't draft for need," as all anyoneever wants to talk about is need, but the draft is not about filling needs. It's about adding the best players you can, and always has been. That's the reason it exists. Sometimes need becomes more of an issue. It's still not the point of the draft to fill needs.

Overall, I don't get why we're talking about Dorsett's reps after one game. Or even one season.

I'm sure that he will see the field (if nothing else due to injuries or inconsistent play by the other WRs)  I hope he gets a ton of playing time and I hope that he produces when his number is called.  I want that of every player that wears the horseshoe.  First round picks have always had more expectations placed on them to have impact on the team than other picks, that's the nature of the beast, not just my opinion.

BPA, is a great strategy when you are a solid team that doesn't have any holes.  Holes that have been issues for years.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on this.  I doubt the majority of the teams (I'll even say the minority of the teams) go in on draft day and solely take the BPA on their boards with all of their picks (unless it is BPA by position of need), but that's just my opinion as I'm not in every team's war room, as niether are you.

Oh,  for goodness sake you're asking this question like we're 8 games into the season and you can't seem to figure out this mystery?!?!?!?!?!

It doesn't matter what he did in the pre-season.    Do you know why?

BECAUSE IT'S THE PRE-SEASON!!

YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT NOT BEING USED ENOUGH AFTER ONE GAME!!     THAT WOULD BE ONE.

ONE IS ONE LESS THAN TWO,  AND ONE MORE THAN ZERO.      HELLO?!?

Dorsett I think had a bruised knee for some of the pre-season.   And then he had 2 fumbles fielding punts in the first regular season of his career.     That will earn you some time on the pine.

When TY went out, Dorsett came in.     And now that TYH is out a week or two,  Dorsett will be the 3rd man on 3WR sets.

Dorsett is going to play.    He's going to play plenty.    And you'll be able to find something else to complain about.

There appears to be plenty.......

I'm sure that he will see the field (if nothing else due to injuries or inconsistent play by the other WRs) I hope he gets a ton of playing time and I hope that he produces when his number is called. I want that of every player that wears the horseshoe. First round picks have always had more expectations placed on them to have impact on the team than other picks, that's the nature of the beast, not just my opinion.

BPA, is a great strategy when you are a solid team that doesn't have any holes. Holes that have been issues for years. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I doubt the majority of the teams (I'll even say the minority of the teams) go in on draft day and solely take the BPA on their boards with all of their picks (unless it is BPA by position of need), but that's just my opinion as I'm not in every team's war room, as niether are you.

I'm not speaking to what any or every team does in the draft room. I'm talking about draft theory. Take the best players that fit your football philosophy.

And it's separate from scouting also. Poor scouting isn't the same as bad theory. Don't pass on a better player to try to fill a need with a lesser player.