Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could our old pal Dwight Freeney be used for passing situations?

chad72

He still ranked favorably in pass rush situations:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/03/17/free-agency-over-30s-still-available/

He wants to come back to the right team:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1517/dwight-freeney

I only bring this up because of Newsome and Cole underwhelming in terms of pass rush.

Give Cole a chance before you bench him.

I wanted to go back and watch a couple games from last year before I gave my opinion so with that said...I think he still has his quick get off and certainly still times snaps well. I'm for it as a rotational pass rusher but would prefer Werner and Newsome putting more effort into becoming better pass rushers. Like it has already been mentioned....The Freeney ship has done sailed, I 100% don't think Grigson is even entertaining that idea

I don't see Grigson bringing him back either. However, I disagree that Cole hasn't shown anything as far as pass rush. Cole may have been playing a little slow early on, but towards the end of the preseason he was getting some good pressure. I think towards the end of the preseason he was getting more comfortable in our defense where he can play faster and not think as much. Newsome though has been a little non-existent this year I hope that changes as I really like him.

He still ranked favorably in pass rush situations:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/03/17/free-agency-over-30s-still-available/

He wants to come back to the right team:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1517/dwight-freeney

I only bring this up because of Newsome and Cole underwhelming in terms of pass rush.

do tell me when Cole has underwhelmed in pash rush.........he's barely played and it was the preseason..........................................

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe we should kick the tires on Dwight??? I would not be opposed to, if the price is right and he can help us.

i don't think our answer to an over the hill linebacker who isn't performing is to sign an even older player who did not do well in this system the first time he was here in it. The next time we see Dwight with the Colts it will be to go in the Ring of Honor.

i don't think our answer to an over the hill linebacker who isn't performing is to sign an even older player who did not do well in this system the first time he was here in it. The next time we see Dwight with the Colts it will be to go in the Ring of Honor.

Maybe we play the Wide 9 that Freeney and Cole flourished in and Mathis we know can flourish in both fronts.

Maybe we play the Wide 9 that Freeney and Cole flourished in and Mathis we know can flourish in both fronts.

if they didn't do that when Freeney was here the first time under Pagano they aren't going to do it now. Freeney coming back isn't happening. The best they can hope for is Mathis gets back into game shape and still has something left. Mathis becomes the starter, and then sprinkle in Newsome and see if he can get.his slump figured out. Honestly, even Werner is doing a better job rushing the passer than Cole at this point. I was never excited about the Cole signing and I am just ready to move on from him unless he gets something figured out. Still I don't think Dwight Freeney is the answer either. The Colts need to get younger at OLBer, not older.

We don't need anyone, we have Werner! 

17nm9.gif

you can joke but he was the only one who really got a pass rush last night. He was the one who ran Fitz into the sack. With that said I am not saying Werner is the answer. I think the fact he's the one who got a pass rush says more about how bad our pass rushers are right now.

you can joke but he was the only one who really got a pass rush last night. He was the one who ran Fitz into the sack. With that said I am not saying Werner is the answer. I think the fact he's the one who got a pass rush says more about how bad our pass rushers are right now

Werner couldn't even catch Fitz from behind. 

you can joke but he was the only one who really got a pass rush last night. He was the one who ran Fitz into the sack. With that said I am not saying Werner is the answer. I think the fact he's the one who got a pass rush says more about how bad our pass rushers are right now.

yeah because fitz saw it and took off. No one else could even get fitz on the run. Again, I am not saying Werner is good. I am saying the rest of the pass rush is so bad Werner is standing out as the only one who did anything.

The offensive line shifted away from Werner and let him run completely free. My 96 year old grandpop would have had Fitz on the run there. Now, I'm not saying Werner is the worst, just clarifying.