Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3 says hes the best QB in the league

RockThatBlue

Some people disliked him from the beginning. I don't see why we're chalking that up to jealousy and bitterness from Colts fans, as again, it was not exclusive to Colts fans.

Some people just don't like him. I don't see why we have to label those people. And in the three years since he came in, he hasn't really done anything to make those people back off. As a matter of fact, he's kind of made it easier to dislike him, both on and off the field. This is just the latest example. We can name a dozen good and/or promising QBs who wouldn't have said what he said. All from different backgrounds, of different cultures, etc. 

This whole 'Colts fans just dislike him because they're bitter over him winning Heisman/ROY' thing is totally misplaced. Fans of all teams and lots of people in the media (and reportedly, some of his own teammates) dislike him, for a variety of reasons. And his play isn't making up for it, which is what makes a comment like this one all the more ironic.

Thats fine. I visit lots of boards and few even comment about him (because his play quite frankly hasn't deserved much) outside of the Redskins rivals. This board seemed to have a fascination every season with bringing up comparisons with Luck and about his comments. At first it was just insecurities and then they just jumped on every mis-step he has taken. Granted he deserves the criticism of his play and what he says and I can see why he hasn't won over a lot of fans...but it just seems people take great pleasure in his failures a lot on here. Outside of football he has been a very big part of giving back to the community and his work he has done and I respect that so maybe I cut him more slack than I should. Thats it...I've noticed it before day 1 (the annimosity). It's no big deal. Maybe I'm wrong. I am a lot..but thats the perception I have of the subject. No biggie.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree 100% with you. I know you don't like compliments but you are always a voice of reason and I enjoy reading your posts, even the ones supporting the Pats.

That's very kind of you to say. I don't try to take unpopular stances just to stir up trouble...but often I think people have such passion for everything Colts that it blinds them to being objective in some matters. We have a ton of people that do a great job on here but there is a bigger "mob" kinda mentality on here that sometimes I think goes a bit far because in the end we are talking about a game here. It doesn't change the world for the better...it doesn't really save lives other than perhaps some of the athletes getting out of a bad life they are growing up in or path they would have headed down. It's a game played for enjoyment and to make people money. If it was gone tomorrow the world would just keep on going almost unchange at all in the big picture so I try to remember that.

Some people disliked him from the beginning. I don't see why we're chalking that up to jealousy and bitterness from Colts fans, as again, it was not exclusive to Colts fans.

Some people just don't like him. I don't see why we have to label those people. And in the three years since he came in, he hasn't really done anything to make those people back off. As a matter of fact, he's kind of made it easier to dislike him, both on and off the field. This is just the latest example. We can name a dozen good and/or promising QBs who wouldn't have said what he said. All from different backgrounds, of different cultures, etc. 

This whole 'Colts fans just dislike him because they're bitter over him winning Heisman/ROY' thing is totally misplaced. Fans of all teams and lots of people in the media (and reportedly, some of his own teammates) dislike him, for a variety of reasons. And his play isn't making up for it, which is what makes a comment like this one all the more ironic.

I agree, I don't really see much more dislike for him from Colts fans. Most Colts fans, myself included, would have given him the ROY over Luck. He had a great rookie year. However, most of those same people knew that the fad would wear off and he could not possibly sustain that type of play. It's a style that is injury prone. This made most Colts fans claim that Luck is the better QB to have. The future was bright for luck, but questionable for RG3.

No his Heisman year was....and then his rookie....but no since the injuries and the change in systems etc...yeah he has been really bad.

So it's not his fault that he turns people off with his mouth, character and personality. We're putting that on the team and his agent. We've stablished that... cool. Now looking at what you have above . Is it also not his fault that he's a very bad QB ? 

So it's not his fault that he turns people off with his mouth, character and personality. We're putting that on the team and his agent. We've stablished that... cool. Now looking at what you have above . Is it also not his fault that he's a very bad QB ?

He obviously doesn't portray himself very well. That makes it OK to dislike him. A persons words/character/persona is what makes me like or dislike a person. Skills and accomplishments are a far 2nd.

I will now be rooting against the Steelers since they signed Vick. Is it really worth signing a scum like Vick as a backup QB? I always liked the Steelers too. Not any more.

What would anyone expect their starting QB to say?

But RG3 has made his bed and now he has to lay in it...   He put himself in this winless position.   

He is average as the day is long ..   He will be a career backup or out of the league in 2 years...   depends on his EGO.

He obviously doesn't portray himself very well. That makes it OK to dislike him. A persons words/character/persona is what makes me like or dislike a person. Skills and accomplishments are a far 2nd.

I will now be rooting against the Steelers since they signed Vick. Is it really worth signing a scum like Vick as a backup QB? I always liked the Steelers too. Not any more.

Agree and I'm sure you didn't "dislike" him because we drafted Andrew Luck and some of the pendants were saying RG3 was better. That's pretty much what a certain poster is insinuating. 

Agree and I'm sure you didn't "dislike" him because we drafted Andrew Luck and some of the pendants were saying RG3 was better. That's pretty much what a certain poster is insinuating.

Until he got in front of a microphone, I didn't dislike him at all. I disliked his style of play. I think sensible fans and analysts knew his style was not one where he would have a long career.

Until he got in front of a microphone, I didn't dislike him at all. I disliked his style of play. I think sensible fans and analysts knew his style was not one where he would have a long career.

Would you like RG3 if he were a little more  like this ? Think he wants Rerggie Wayne to do well ?

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Colts-QB-Andrew-Luck-Happy-For-Reggie-Wayne-/f3a52e0a-a47c-4791-b125-5c76074ee7cc

I have to think a more humble likeable guy is liked by more than an arrogant unlikable guy.

Sure Luck is likable, but that doesn't mean RGIII isn't. I don't dislike RGIII and don't need to continuously have issue with him like some here do. Honestly don't think he's unlikeable. Dude believe he's the best, so what? You don't think he should? I mean, if he doesn't believe in himself, nobody else (especially Washington fans) should. Do I believe what he said to be true? No, but I'm not going to fault him for saying it. There's a difference between arrogance and confidence in ones self.

Sure Luck is likable, but that doesn't mean RGIII isn't. I don't dislike RGIII and don't need to continuously have issue with him like some here do. Honestly don't think he's unlikeable. Dude believe he's the best, so what? You don't think he should? I mean, if he doesn't believe in himself, nobody else (especially Washington fans) should. Do I believe what he said to be true? No, but I'm not going to fault him for saying it. There's a difference between arrogance and confidence in ones self.

I disagree. I think claiming you are the best QB in the league needs verification. He doesn't have that.

I think it is a fault. If he already thinks he is the best in the league what is his motivation to improve?

This whole 'people don't like Griffin' thing spawned out of something else. Him saying he thinks he's the best QB in the league is just laughable, and that's not because some people don't like him. It's because he's not. Just like there's a difference between arrogance and confidence, there's a difference between self-confident expression and delusional lack of self-awareness.

To me, him being less than likable and/or arrogant is another issue entirely. He could be the nicest and most likable person in the world, but if he said he thinks he's the best QB in the league he'd still get laughed out of the room.

This whole 'people don't like Griffin' thing spawned out of something else. Him saying he thinks he's the best QB in the league is just laughable, and that's not because some people don't like him. It's because he's not. Just like there's a difference between arrogance and confidence, there's a difference between self-confident expression and delusional lack of self-awareness.

To me, him being less than likable and/or arrogant is another issue entirely. He could be the nicest and most likable person in the world, but if he said he thinks he's the best QB in the league he'd still get laughed out of the room.

"Get laughed out of the room" is acceptable and understandable. However, many here are expressing strong dislike for RG3 which seems unwarranted. He has not committed a crime or done anything offensive. He is not discussed with such venom on other teams boards (at least not on Vikings ones).

Also many here don't like Russell Wilson and he is one of the most humble and likeable players there is.

"Get laughed out of the room" is acceptable and understandable. However, many here are expressing strong dislike for RG3 which seems unwarranted. He has not committed a crime or done anything offensive. He is not discussed with such venom on other teams boards (at least not on Vikings ones).

Also many here don't like Russell Wilson and he is one of the most humble and likeable players there is.

My point to Blawkhawk is that any dislike of Griffin is separate from the 'I'm the best' comment. 

I see it the same way. What's the big deal! It does not bother me.

"Let another praise you, not your own mouth; a stranger, not your own lips!"

Here's a perfect example of why RG3 gets on my darn nerves. He still thinks it's his rookie year. If a QB sucks on the field for the past couple of seasons & believe me, RG3 does. You can't act like you just won a Lombardi Trophy & SB MVP. 

I've said it before & I'll say it again: Greatness needs no self promotion because we see it, feel it, & know it season by season decade by decade. RG3 is dead to me as a QB threat that I will ever fear on a field ever again. Jvan said something similar acknowledging that elite field generals never do this because they don't have to. RG3 is done. 

If RG3 had a press conference & said, "I know I've been delusional over the past 2 seasons & I've played like crap. No more exaggerations; No more crazy talk. I'm just here to earn the respect of my teammates & coaches by shutting the hades up, rolling up my sleeves, & going to work. I've got a ton of work to do & I apologize to the fans & my locker room brothers for be so egotistical, self centered, & a colossal caboose hole. I know what I must do now: Earn it."

If he did that, I'd cut him some slack, but he won't.  

My point to Blawkhawk is that any dislike of Griffin is separate from the 'I'm the best' comment. 

It was taken out of context and has been ran with for 7 pages now, He clearly followed his "I feel like Im the best QB in the league" with "and I have to go out and show that."

"I don't feel like I have to come out here and show anybody anything or why I'm better than this guy or better than that guy,"

If there was a quote people (Redskins fans anyway) really should take issue with its the second quote, I also am sure he knows he has to be better by the end of the first quote "and I have to go out and show that."

There is no question he should have given an answer of "I have to step up, I have to be better" . The truth as well more humble and more in line with a company line statement but he did acknowledge he has to go out and prove he is the best...Which is being looked over

I like RG3 as a person & I raved about his intelligence & good head on his shoulders as a military brat. But, somewhere between his NFL rookie campaign & now RG3 thought he was on the same level as Manning, Brady, Brees, & Big Ben. When did this bizarre ego transformation take place? 

I don't hate the guy, but his confidence is out of whack now & I can't explain why or how it happened. 

It was taken out of context and has been ran with for 7 pages now, He clearly followed his "I feel like Im the best QB in the league" with "and I have to go out and show that."

"I don't feel like I have to come out here and show anybody anything or why I'm better than this guy or better than that guy,"

If there was a quote people (Redskins fans anyway) really should take issue with its the second quote, I also am sure he knows he has to be better by the end of the first quote "and I have to go out and show that."

There is no question he should have given an answer of "I have to step up, I have to be better" . The truth as well more humble and more in line with a company line statement but he did acknowledge he has to go out and prove he is the best...Which is being looked over

When you let those words out in that order, it's going to be latched onto. I don't think that's out of context. His full statement doesn't change the meaning or even the tone of the 'I'm the best' comment, IMO.

And, as I said earlier, I don't think well established QBs with a legitimate claim to the 'best' label would say what he said. Peyton Manning has thrown more TDs than anyone in NFL history, but go back and read the things he said after he broke Favre's record -- humbling, an honor, I appreciate the people who came before me and who helped me get here, etc. 

No, I don't expect Griffin to be as media savvy as Peyton Manning. But when he says something silly, I don't have a problem with him being needled for it.

When you let those words out in that order, it's going to be latched onto. I don't think that's out of context. His full statement doesn't change the meaning or even the tone of the 'I'm the best' comment, IMO.

And, as I said earlier, I don't think well established QBs with a legitimate claim to the 'best' label would say what he said. Peyton Manning has thrown more TDs than anyone in NFL history, but go back and read the things he said after he broke Favre's record -- humbling, an honor, I appreciate the people who came before me and who helped me get here, etc. 

No, I don't expect Griffin to be as media savvy as Peyton Manning. But when he says something silly, I don't have a problem with him being needled for it.

I agree he certainly could have chosen his words better. That we agree on.

Well, I think I will take a page out of RGIII's book:

I think I am the most physically fit person in the world, I just need to show it when I run.

I think I am the best looking guy in the country, I just need to show it to the ladies.

I think I am the most interesting guy in world (take that Dos Equis guy), I just need to show it at gathering's of people.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

True NFLfan, a lot of RG3's criticisms are vicious & over the top in scope. I haven't read every post in this thread, but I will openly admit that RG3 getting preoccupied with his brand name vs elevating his game 1st didn't sit well with me which is why I gravitate to athletes who steer clear of endorsement deals their rookie year. I like guys who say I appreciate the offer company X but I wanna master my playbook & execute on game day 1st. Maybe next year. Thanks anyway. Yeah I know, there's nothing wrong in taking an endorsement deal right away. 

Perhaps, he needs a change a scenery, a new club, & a fresh start somewhere else. I have no problem believing in yourself or your abilities as long as you acknowledge that recent performances have not exactly been stellar. The other thing that didn't do RG3 any favors is when Baylor his alma mater erected a statue in his honor. Not RG3's fault I know, but sometimes an event like that happening so young in a QB's development can mess them up emotionally. They either think I've arrived or the pressure to live up to that prestige & carry it 1 more level gets too overwhelming for some players in the end. 

If there are two things that guarantee 10,000 page threads, it's talk about Tom Brady/deflategate and anything that can even be twisted minutely to put Robert Griffin in a bad light. But that's none of my business...

Well, I think I will take a page out of RGIII's book:

I think I am the most physically fit person in the world, I just need to show it when I run.

I think I am the best looking guy in the country, I just need to show it to the ladies.

I think I am the most interesting guy in world (take that Dos Equis guy), I just need to show it at gathering's of people.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

There is a downside to being handsome or drop dead gorgeous though: Sooner or later physical attractiveness declines rapidly over time & we average joe's look good because if you've always been basement material there's no lower to go & women know exactly what their getting in return. Plus, there's no ivory tower long flight of steps to walk up either because basement guys have no ego &, if you marry us, it automatically qualifies as jury duty & community service.  haha  Oh yeah, our humor is priceless because we sure as hades know if our jokes don't seal the deal our looks aren't gonna save us, but I digress...

That's my take on it anyway. Drop dead gorgeous in either sex usually = high maintenance...Something you wanna stay as far away from as humanly possible. JMO. Yes, there is a rare exception that defies the rule sometimes, but it's pretty scarce in my experience. Okay, I'll shut up now. 

Sorry for the diversion folks. Back on topic...

There is a downside to being handsome or drop dead gorgeous though: Sooner or later physical attractiveness declines rapidly over time & we average joe's look good because if you've always been basement material there's no lower to go & women know exactly what their getting in return. Plus, there's no ivory tower long flight of steps to walk up either because basement guys have no ego &, if you marry us, it automatically qualifies as jury duty & community service.  haha  Oh yeah, our humor is priceless because we sure as hades know if our jokes don't seal the deal our looks aren't gonna save us, but I digress...

That's my take on it anyway. Drop dead gorgeous in either sex usually = high maintenance...Something you wanna stay as far away from as humanly possible. JMO. Yes, there is a rare exception that defies the rule sometimes, but it's pretty scarce in my experience. Okay, I'll shut up now. 

No...

There is a downside to being handsome or drop dead gorgeous though: Sooner or later physical attractiveness declines rapidly over time & we average joe's look good because if you've always been basement material there's no lower to go & women know exactly what their getting in return. Plus, there's no ivory tower long flight of steps to walk up either because basement guys have no ego &, if you marry us, it automatically qualifies as jury duty & community service. haha Oh yeah, our humor is priceless because we sure as hades know if our jokes don't seal the deal our looks aren't gonna save us, but I digress...

haha. Lol. I know you don't believe any of this.

As for RG3, I still don't get why he is hated so much here. I am around Giants fans all the time. One would believe they would dislike RG3 because he plays in their division but they don't talk about him. I just checked their official message board. This same topic started on Aug 17th received 2 replies. In one of the 2 replies, a Giants fan wrote that he wants his QB to say the same thing.

haha. Lol. I know you don't believe any of this.

As for RG3, I still don't get why he is hated so much here. I am around Giants fans all the time. One would believe they would dislike RG3 because he plays in their division but they don't talk about him. I just checked their official message board. This same topic started on Aug 17th received 2 replies. In one of the 2 replies, a Giants fan wrote that he wants his QB to say the same thing.

I don't think anyone actually "hates" RG3. I think it's more of a "I told you so" attitude toward him and his fans due to the comparisons to Luck when they first came out. Mainly because of people like Skip Bayless... It's a natural reaction when people put down something that's yours in favor of theirs. I don't think it's that big of a deal and really don't get why YOU care so much about what some on this forum think of RG3.

I don't think anyone actually "hates" RG3. I think it's more of a "I told you so" attitude toward him and his fans due to the comparisons to Luck when they first came out. Mainly because of people like Skip Bayless... It's a natural reaction when people put down something that's yours in favor of theirs. I don't think it's that big of a deal and really don't get why YOU care so much about what some on this forum think of RG3.

Lol. Well, I can ask you the same thing. Why do YOU care what I think? It is such a silly question.

Lol. Well, I can ask you the same thing. Why do YOU care what I think? It is such a silly question.

Ah, the old "your post is silly" answer. Fair enough, but to answer your question...I was just curious about your borderline obsessive behavior (posts) on the subject. I wondered if there was a back story on all the whining you've been doing in this thread. My guess is you get your jollies by telling Colts fans what bad people they are...in other words trolling. Whatever floats your boat...carry on.

Ah, the old "your post is silly" answer. Fair enough, but to answer your question...I was just curious about your borderline obsessive behavior (posts) on the subject. I wondered if there was a back story on all the whining you've been doing in this thread. My guess is you get your jollies by telling Colts fans what bad people they are...in other words trolling. Whatever floats your boat...carry on.

haha. Whatever...

:)  Thanks for the input SW1 and yes I agree, my unreal good looks are a burden.

Hahahaaaa ... Too much, SW1! Had me rolling. "Plus, there's no ivory tower long flight of steps to walk up either" ... Priceless! :)