Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titans CEO says team won’t budge on offsets for Marcus Mariota

ReMeDy

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/14/titans-ceo-says-team-wont-budge-on-offsets-for-marcus-mariota/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

I'd be funny if Marcus is doing this on purpose to force a trade. I guess I can't blame him if it's the Titans, but imagine if Chip Kelly's Eagles somehow worked some magic and acquired him. The Eagles were rumored to pony up big trade value during the draft to move up to land him, so maybe they're still willing to make something happen.

This is over just the ability for  Mariota to double dip if let go somewhere before the end of season 4.  Titans say if we release you and someone else signs you, we don't owe you anything anymore. Mariota wants the Titans to pay him and get his new teams salary too.

Franchise QB's just don't have offset language in their contracts.  Not Luck, RGIII, Bortles, Newton...  none of them. Tenn will eventually get off theit high horse and back down on this one, me thinks.

Just sign on the dotted line Marcus, if you're good & continue to improve every year, offset language won't matter & the team will not try to get compensation for you from another NFL franchise.  

If Tennessee doesn't pan out, there's always a revolving QB door in Cleveland... haha Sorry, I know that was harsh, but still truthful & mildly funny at least. 

This is over just the ability for  Mariota to double dip if let go somewhere before the end of season 4.  Titans say if we release you and someone else signs you, we don't owe you anything anymore. Mariota wants the Titans to pay him and get his new teams salary too.

Franchise QB's just don't have offset language in their contracts.  Not Luck, RGIII, Bortles, Newton...  none of them. Tenn will eventually get off theit high horse and back down on this one, me thinks.

It's hard for me to understand why any player rep would dig in over offset language. If it were me, I'm going to be on the roster for the life of the contract, so the idea of me being released and signing with a new team doesn't even occur to me. Particularly if I'm the 2nd pick in the draft.

I think Mariota's side will move off of this eventually, but we'll see.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/14/titans-ceo-says-team-wont-budge-on-offsets-for-marcus-mariota/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

I'd be funny if Marcus is doing this on purpose to force a trade. I guess I can't blame him if it's the Titans, but imagine if Chip Kelly's Eagles somehow worked some magic and acquired him. The Eagles were rumored to pony up big trade value during the draft to move up to land him, so maybe they're still willing to make something happen.

How many QBs would that be then? Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Matt Barkley, G. J. Kinne, & hypothetically speaking  Marcus Mariota...6 QBs! Sounds like a carnival show as opposed to a field general depth chart. Most coaches keep 2 or 3 max not 5 or more. LOL!  

It's hard for me to understand why any player rep would dig in over offset language. If it were me, I'm going to be on the roster for the life of the contract, so the idea of me being released and signing with a new team doesn't even occur to me. Particularly if I'm the 2nd pick in the draft.

Luck, RGIII set the bar for QB's with no offset language.  But TN has it in their contracts as precedent, and they don't want to budge on that.  Even Jake Locker at pick #8 had it.  Jameis Winston has it... Tannehill has it too. One of the two sides needs to give in before training camp for Mariota begins, or both the Titans and Marcus look foolish.          

Basically it means Mariotas camp is having him hold out because they (and he) wants to be assured that if he stinks beyond his rookie year he wont be cut in say year 3(for example) from the sounds of it....I don't recall reading any other players that were drafted by the Titans complaining about this (Which is irrelevant but still interesting).....Lane Johnson did this with the Eagles in 2013.....Justin Blackmon in 2012....I don't blame him(Mariota) for wanting to make sure the Titans have to honor the full length of the contract....On the other end I don't blame the Titans if they want to move on free of charge from a QB that could stink....I also think while Mariota is confident in his physical ability he may not be completely confident in his ability to get the mental side of being an NFL QB down which is why there seems to be a stand off

I know the Colts did something similar with Jerry Hughes in terms of trading him prior to his rookie contract expiring(Though he was a late 1st round pick), It looks like they had a roster bonus for him if he was on the team ($625,000) in 2010 followed by a $776,250 option bonus in 2011 and 2012

He will show up for TC.

EDUT: TRADING Jerry Hughes NOT cutting

Basically it means Mariotas camp is having him hold out because they (and he) wants to be assured that if he stinks beyond his rookie year he wont be cut in say year 3(for example) from the sounds of it....I don't recall reading any other players that were drafted by the Titans complaining about this (Which is irrelevant but still interesting).....Lane Johnson did this with the Eagles in 2013.....Justin Blackmon in 2012....I don't blame him(Mariota) for wanting to make sure the Titans have to honor the full length of the contract....On the other end I don't blame the Titans if they want to move on free of charge from a QB that could stink....I also think while Mariota is confident in his physical ability he may not be completely confident in his ability to get the mental side of being an NFL QB down which is why there seems to be a stand off

I know the Colts did something similar with Jerry Hughes in terms of trading him prior to his rookie contract expiring(Though he was a late 1st round pick), It looks like they had a roster bonus for him if he was on the team ($625,000) in 2010 followed by a $776,250 option bonus in 2011 and 2012

He will show up for TC.

EDUT: TRADING Jerry Hughes NOT cutting

If a player is traded, the guarantee transfers to the new team. Offset language doesn't come into play. It only matters if the player is released.

Luck, RGIII set the bar for QB's with no offset language.  But TN has it in their contracts as precedent, and they don't want to budge on that.  Even Jake Locker at pick #8 had it.  Jameis Winston has it... Tannehill has it too. One of the two sides needs to give in before training camp for Mariota begins, or both the Titans and Marcus look foolish.          

Someone will give in. Even if it takes a week, it will blow over in short order. 

My point in general is a protest in principle. Offset language is common sense, IMO.

I don't blame him(Mariota) for wanting to make sure the Titans have to honor the full length of the contract....On the other end I don't blame the Titans if they want to move on free of charge from a QB that could stink....I also think while Mariota is confident in his physical ability he may not be completely confident in his ability to get the mental side of being an NFL QB down which is why there seems to be a stand off

Yeah, I am leaning in that direction too Gavin. Usually, most high ranking draft picks don't concern themselves with contract language that closely unless they secretly have reservations that they won't be able to adapt to football at the professional level. I wish him luck, but I still have my doubts. 

You don't know that. . . as much as you may be full of confidence you need to try and prepare for the eventuality that you might suck.

Quite honestly I think the money should be fully guaranteed. . . In my understanding top 10 contracts are all fully guaranteed and contain no offset language.

You don't know that. . . as much as you may be full of confidence you need to try and prepare for the eventuality that you might suck.

Quite honestly I think the money should be fully guaranteed. . . In my understanding top 10 contracts are all fully guaranteed and contain no offset language.

The guaranteed money on rookie contracts has to be paid, period.  What the offset language does is allow some team to release a player, but recoup some (or all) of that remaining guaranteed money back if another team signs the player. The player(s) feel the new Rookie CBA has already shredded their 1st contract deal, so want to have the guaranteed money paid, and still receive the pay from the contract with the new team.  It is this and only this holding up some signings.

The guaranteed money on rookie contracts has to be paid, period.  What the offset language does is allow some team to release a player, but recoup some (or all) of that remaining guaranteed money back if another team signs the player. The player(s) feel the new Rookie CBA has already shredded their 1st contract deal, so want to have the guaranteed money paid, and still receive the pay from the contract with the new team.  It is this and only this holding up some signings.

But isn't the precedent set with every other team that it's fully guaranteed?

If they recoup that money does it help their cap situation?

But isn't the precedent set with every other team that it's fully guaranteed?

If they recoup that money does it help their cap situation?

Yes fully guaranteed.  So if a team lets a payer go, he will be paid.  If another team signs him, he also gets that pay too.  So many Teams write language into the contract stating if a player is let go, and another team signs them for X amount, then that same X amount of guaranteed dollars from the original contract goes back to the original team, in real cash and cap space. This is because the player now has another team paying the salary now.  But players want the old team to complete their original contract, while enjoying the extra pay from the new contract.  This is why the delay to Rookie contracts due to 'offset language'.  Even if almost no (meaningful) player will be released before end of year 4, thus making the clause in the contract moot.  Nevertheless, struggles and threats concerning it happen every year.

It's a point of negotiation, but yes, they're fully guaranteed. That's not the point. If I suck and get cut, I still get paid.

Offset language is about my ability to double dip and get paid twice if I get cut and sign with another team. The money is guaranteed; now I'm saying that even though I wasn't good enough to finish out my four year contract, so much so that the team that drafted me in the top 10 of the draft got rid of me, I should still get paid twice because I refused common sense offset language in my contract.

Most coaches have offset language in their contracts, and they're more likely to get cut before their contract expires than a top 10 draft pick. I just don't get the insistence for no offset language, and I understand why teams resist it. They're probably fighting a losing battle, but I get it.

The Titans haven't had a 1st rd. pick show up to camp on time in several years and it will make Marcus look bad?  This happens every year in TN and they need to realize their strategy isn't working.

The Titans haven't had a 1st rd. pick show up to camp on time in several years and it will make Marcus look bad?  This happens every year in TN and they need to realize their strategy isn't working.

I actually don't remember Taylor Lewan holding out

Titans are foolish for holding to the offset language on a potential franchise QB forcing him to want to miss training camp.  Mariota is foolish for not being in camp and learning to be franchise QB because of the same.  The root of it is, if Mariota is even only decent, the offset language in the contract is totally moot anyway.  Missing training camp isn't, for any reason.

I don't think he's trying to force a trade.  I think he's trying to get the most favorable contact he can get. 

Titans are foolish for holding to the offset language on a potential franchise QB forcing him to want to miss training camp. Mariota is foolish for not being in camp and learning to be franchise QB because of the same. The root of it is, if Mariota is even only decent, the offset language in the contract is totally moot anyway. Missing training camp isn't, for any reason.

I don't disagree with any of this. I also don't think it has anything to do with this contract. Both sides think (hope) this is the first of several contracts they negotiate and are testing each other.

Yeah, I am leaning in that direction too Gavin. Usually, most high ranking draft picks don't concern themselves with contract language that closely unless they secretly have reservations that they won't be able to adapt to football at the professional level. I wish him luck, but I still have my doubts.

Yeah, you're both way off. This is two sets of lawyers bickering and has zero to do with what the player is or isn't confident in.

There is absolutely zero chance he's released in 4 years or less. Traded? Possibly. But not released.

I don't disagree with any of this. I also don't think it has anything to do with this contract. Both sides think (hope) this is the first of several contracts they negotiate and are testing each other.

I think you're on to it... a power gambit... for future negotiations....

Nice call....

A few weeks back,  the NFL Network showed a graphic....   the Titans have been the last team to get their 1st round pick signed for years now.

And they all get signed somewhere between a day and a week prior to the team reporting to camp.    The team has already said it's OK if Mariotta misses the first few days of camp...  perhaps even as much as week.    They admit it's not ideal,  but they anticipate this could go into camp a bit.

So, Tennessee has a long track record for waiting out their first round pick.   Will Mariotta actually be willing to miss practice over this?     I hope not, for his sake....

I think you're on to it... a power gambit... for future negotiations....

Nice call....

Just as you say, ColtsBlueFL. "a power gambit... for future negotiations...."

Just as NewColtsFan says ... "Will Mariotta actually be willing to miss practice over this? I hope not, for his sake...."

The thing about chicken is - No one wins. What goes around, comes around ...eventually!

Doesnt having offset language in your deal assume you might fail so badly you would be released.

Why on earth would a No.1 draft choice fight to keep that language in his initial deal?

Imagine a hold out by a player insisting on compensation if he flops and is let go.

Not guaranteed money. Guaranteed termination pay. Titan fans must love hearing that.

Looks like Tampa made the right pick

Some players bet on themselves in contract situations.

This is, in effect, betting AGAINST yourself

Honestly, and maybe this post will look foolish in three to five years...but I'd take every precaution too if I was Mariota...I don't think he's going to be that good, so getting - what I'd guess - a portion of his contract regardless of being cut or whatever is a good move...

Though, you're right, weird to see what is allegedly a franchise player betting against himself so hard...

Honestly, and maybe this post will look foolish in three to five years...but I'd take every precaution too if I was Mariota...I don't think he's going to be that good, so getting - what I'd guess - a portion of his contract regardless of being cut or whatever is a good move...

Though, you're right, weird to see what is allegedly a franchise player betting against himself so hard...

No that's the thing. It's not over guaranteed money. The entire contract is guaranteed, and always was going to be. The question was whether those guarantees are offset by another contract he might sign in the future. So if he's terrible and gets cut in two years, he still gets paid the full value of the contract, no matter what. That was never the issue.

Partial offset language... I wonder what that means...

Exactly.  We all know it means both sides gave in at least a little, but on what clause(s) and to what extent?  After the contract is filed and reviewed, the details will come out.  Then we'll see if they met in the middle or one side gave in more just to get a deal done, but not look like they totally gave in. But unless Marcus really stinks up the joint, I doubt the 'compromise' on the offset language ever even comes into play.  The chance to get cut and double dip in year 4 shouldn't even be a remote possibility.

No that's the thing. It's not over guaranteed money. The entire contract is guaranteed, and always was going to be. The question was whether those guarantees are offset by another contract he might sign in the future. So if he's terrible and gets cut in two years, he still gets paid the full value of the contract, no matter what. That was never the issue.

Oh, hmph, I didn't think the salary money was guaranteed. Well, that is interesting then...

Yup, most first rounders are fully guaranteed. Toward the end of the first round, you might get a partial guarantee in Year 4, but still. 

Indeed. And only about the top 10 of the1st rounders would have any potential offset language for 'double dipping' issues.  Our two guys (last of the unsigned) have different issues with the language added to their contracts.