Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donte Moncrief will have a better season than Phillip Dorsett.

Dustin

To understand this thread, you have to understand why it was made. Several weeks ago, in the off-season, I made a thread predicting Dorsett would out perform guys like Moncrief and Carter. This was in response to the overwhelming hate expressed toward the Dorsett pick. Several posters attacked my prediction, treating Moncrief like he was some kind of comic book super hero. It even spawned TWO separate troll threads (this being one of them) and a discussion that went on for two or three weeks.

Now I'll be the first to admit, Moncrief has exceeded my expectations. But before Dustin continues his laughably premature "I'm always right" campaign, he should pull his ears out of his back crack and realize that a season is more than 6 games.

I mean, I get it...in this forum full of terrible fair weather fans and know-it-all's, you'd think it was the off-season already and the entire coaching staff was fired after a 3-3 start.

Moncrief is "on pace" for 107 or whatever catches, ya.

Brady and Rivers are on pace to shatter Manning's passing yard record.

DeAndre Hopkins is on pace for about 2100 receiving yards.

Devonta Freeman is on pace for one of the greatest RB seasons of all time.

Andy Dalton and Cam Newton are on pace to lead their teams to 16-0 records.

A lot of players are "on pace" to do a lot of things, but that's why they play 16 games instead of 6. Due to circumstances, such as Luck's injury and Andre Johnson's failure to make an impact, Moncrief has gotten a lot of opportunities in those 6 games. Phillip Dorsett has not. Who would have believed that a 40 year old quarterback with a noted lack of arm strength would be more likely to target the possession receivers than the 4.3 speed downfield speedsters?

I may be ranting now, but seriously...6 games is not a "season". This forum makes me shamed to admit that this is the "official representation" of my favorite teams fan base. I just shook my head every time I saw a 63-7 prediction last week, and was downright disgusted to see it coming from posters claiming to be fans of this team. Show some friggin Faith.

And to people like Dustin, get a friggin clue. I probably won't be posting here in a while, but you...just keep doing your thing. I'll hit you up next time Fanduel is doing another million dollar challenge. I mean, I'm sure you can spare a few million, because "you're always right".

Give me a friggin break. I'm sure you were singing the praises for Hakeem Nicks last year after he outproduced Moncrief over the first 6 games. How many catches was he "on pace" for then?

It seems like you are mad online.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moncrief will finish the season with more yards, more catches, more targets, and more TDs than Dorsett.

The Luck to Moncrief connection was one of the most efficient passing combos on a per snap basis in the NFL. When Luck targeted Moncrief, he had a passer rating of 122.0. That number was 6th among QB-WR combos. Behind only Cobb-Rodgers, Beasley-Romo, Nelson-Rodgers, OBJ-Eli, and Bryant-Roethlisberger. And above such combos as Dez-Romo, Sanders-Peyton, Hilton-Luck, and Jones-Ryan.

Dorsett has been praised for his hands, as he should, they were excellent. But Moncrief's last season were also good. Moncrief dropped only 2 passes on the season on 34 catchable targets (Dorsett dropped one on 37) for a drop rate on par with players like AJ Green, Mike Evans, Golden Tate, TY Hilton, Desean Jackson and Julio Jones. 

Perhaps Moncrief's best results came in the slot (the spot him and Dorsett will be fighting for) where he had an absurd 85.7% catch rate which was highest in the NFL (T- Emmanuel Sanders) and 2.03 yards per route run (5th in the NFL, behind only Jeremy Maclin, Emmanuel Sanders, DeAndre Hopkins, and Randall Cobb).

Moncrief (69.6%) finished the season with the 5th highest catch rate on all rookie WRs in 2014 (and 25th overall, and had by far the highest amongst Colt's WRs (the next closest was TY at 66.7% (36th)). And this is despite being the 10th most targeted WR on deep passes (where catch rate dramatically decreases).

The biggest plus for Moncrief this coming season is that he's already had a year in Pep Hamilton's offense. He's had a lot more time and experience in learning the concepts and ran a far more advanced route-tree than Dorsett did at Miami (which basically consisted of 3 routes).

I have no doubt that Moncrief will be the more productive player this season. 

That is almost to be expected.  He gets more snaps (higher on the depth chart) is very quick and does have height advantages over most CB's.  I would say being the #3 WR he creates perhaps one of the biggest matchup problems in the league, behind say Gronk.  #3 CB's just aren't that talented to be able to contest a player that is skilled as anybody that far back on Indy's WR depth chart!  I would expect Dorsett to do the same if he was the #3 WR and got as many snaps.  He will more than likely be in that situation in a year or 2 (whenever A Johnson heads out)

Moncrief is turning into a stud IMO, some people seem to not realize how fast he is and a large target and showing good hands , with good instincts and route exicution. Dorsett is green and has capable hands and will make some impact , because of that world class speed but dont think he will ever measure up to the full potential of Donte.

To understand this thread, you have to understand why it was made. Several weeks ago, in the off-season, I made a thread predicting Dorsett would out perform guys like Moncrief and Carter. This was in response to the overwhelming hate expressed toward the Dorsett pick. Several posters attacked my prediction, treating Moncrief like he was some kind of comic book super hero. It even spawned TWO separate troll threads (this being one of them) and a discussion that went on for two or three weeks.

Now I'll be the first to admit, Moncrief has exceeded my expectations. But before Dustin continues his laughably premature "I'm always right" campaign, he should pull his ears out of his back crack and realize that a season is more than 6 games.

I mean, I get it...in this forum full of terrible fair weather fans and know-it-all's, you'd think it was the off-season already and the entire coaching staff was fired after a 3-3 start.

Moncrief is "on pace" for 107 or whatever catches, ya.

Brady and Rivers are on pace to shatter Manning's passing yard record.

DeAndre Hopkins is on pace for about 2100 receiving yards.

Devonta Freeman is on pace for one of the greatest RB seasons of all time.

Andy Dalton and Cam Newton are on pace to lead their teams to 16-0 records.

A lot of players are "on pace" to do a lot of things, but that's why they play 16 games instead of 6. Due to circumstances, such as Luck's injury and Andre Johnson's failure to make an impact, Moncrief has gotten a lot of opportunities in those 6 games. Phillip Dorsett has not. Who would have believed that a 40 year old quarterback with a noted lack of arm strength would be more likely to target the possession receivers than the 4.3 speed downfield speedsters?

I may be ranting now, but seriously...6 games is not a "season". This forum makes me shamed to admit that this is the "official representation" of my favorite teams fan base. I just shook my head every time I saw a 63-7 prediction last week, and was downright disgusted to see it coming from posters claiming to be fans of this team. Show some friggin Faith.

And to people like Dustin, get a friggin clue. I probably won't be posting here in a while, but you...just keep doing your thing. I'll hit you up next time Fanduel is doing another million dollar challenge. I mean, I'm sure you can spare a few million, because "you're always right".

Give me a friggin break. I'm sure you were singing the praises for Hakeem Nicks last year after he outproduced Moncrief over the first 6 games. How many catches was he "on pace" for then?

Damn son, is that concord's grape I smell? Because it seems like you're jelly of Dustin's prediction thread success. Would you like some toast?

Am I missing the point to this argument?

I mean if it had been about whether Johnson or Moncrief would have the better season I kinda get it, but Dorsett vs Moncrief?

This was back when people though that for some reason Dorsett would play more snaps than Moncrief.

Do people not realize they both play for the same team?  I mean, who cares who out performs who... As long as they keep playing well and scoring for the Colts I could give 2 bowel movements who has more receiving yards or TDs.

Because it's the Interwebs, being right is more important than your team winning. 

What the fudge does a fantasy nonesense thing have to do with my comment?

Also it's not like I'm being captain hindsight here. I'm just pointing out the flaw in the justification logic. Thats some high quality damage control if I've ever seen it. Why don't you go ahead and formulate a real response if you want. Or don't, either way.

Who is the waste of money/ cap space guy? Andre? That is monday morning QBing.

The season isn't even half-way thru. When AJ was brought in, it was quite clear to everyone (or should have been), that we needed A vet WR. Reggie wasn't the answer. We had 1 receiver that really proved himself ...TY. Thats it. Moncrief showed flashes(similar to Dorsett this year) but moncrief got pushed around and didnt win battles with DBs when fighting for the ball. Whalen i like, but he's aberage at best. Carter...nope.

So basically, take away. Andre and Dorsett, and we were one injury away from a mediocre(at best) wr corps. I'm sure Andre is helping the young guys. Who knows, maybe this helped Moncriefz sudden change of attitude and aggressiveness. You have to be blind to not see the suddeness and value in Dorsett. What if TY goes down?

You can't just cherry pick Grigson's "bad" moves, you gotta look at the whole. And as a whole, he's done well in my view. Especially at DL this year. Running has been difficult on us this year. Whoda. Thunk that?

I'd say ,overall, my "logic" is quite sound as well.

And just cuz i don't have 3 names, doesn't make me less smart. ;-)

this guy is mad cause our 1st round overrated WR is t doing what he thought he would of course I'm gonna laugh at him the amount of ppl that overrated Phillip was ridiculous

Nah, just frustrated with Colts "fans" hoping and praying that our first round pick would fail just so they are "right" about their disdain for the pick, that's all.

Because it's the Interwebs, being right is more important than your team winning.

Yeah, I mean...let's all root against our own first round pick because We didn't need a WR and we all wanna see our front office gutted and our coaching staff fired and our roster gutted and the Pats beat us 63-7. That's what real fans want.

Nah, just frustrated with Colts "fans" hoping and praying that our first round pick would fail just so they are "right" about their disdain for the pick, that's all.

well I'm frustrated with the fans that are content with mediocre wins and getting smashed by the real contenders in the NFL. Also the ones that are just happy to make the playoffs cause of our trash division

well I'm frustrated with the fans that are content with mediocre wins and getting smashed by the real contenders in the NFL. Also the ones that are just happy to make the playoffs cause of our trash division

Yes. Disgruntled fans really have an effect on how the team performs.

Who is the waste of money/ cap space guy? Andre? That is monday morning QBing.

The season isn't even half-way thru. When AJ was brought in, it was quite clear to everyone (or should have been), that we needed A vet WR. Reggie wasn't the answer. We had 1 receiver that really proved himself ...TY. Thats it. Moncrief showed flashes(similar to Dorsett this year) but moncrief got pushed around and didnt win battles with DBs when fighting for the ball. Whalen i like, but he's aberage at best. Carter...nope.

So basically, take away. Andre and Dorsett, and we were one injury away from a mediocre(at best) wr corps. I'm sure Andre is helping the young guys. Who knows, maybe this helped Moncriefz sudden change of attitude and aggressiveness. You have to be blind to not see the suddeness and value in Dorsett. What if TY goes down?

You can't just cherry pick Grigson's "bad" moves, you gotta look at the whole. And as a whole, he's done well in my view. Especially at DL this year. Running has been difficult on us this year. Whoda. Thunk that?

I'd say ,overall, my "logic" is quite sound as well.

And just cuz i don't have 3 names, doesn't make me less smart. ;-)

Now you're going to passive aggressively comment on my first, middle and last name? Who cares about that stuff? Its just linked from fb, jeesh dude. All's im saying is that so far he hasn't been up to snuff and there's no way to just write off the poor play and signing by commenting that the rest of the group are doing good so it's fine. No one is Monday morning qbing. Why don't you be mature? I also don't see how this thread is a troll attempt btw.

Right. But that's what the other poster who got into it with you was responding to.

Not sure if he noticed the date when he responded, I don't want to speak for him.

I didn't notice the date. I saw "bump" and the projection of 107 catches for Moncrief, and Dustin announcing his prediction was right. I assumed that it was after 6 games. Turns out it was proclaimed after 2. Thus proving my point even further.

I'm not happy with the way the season has turned out so far either. But I'm not here turning on my team and rooting for them to fail like some of the posters here are, that's what I have a problem with. There's still a lot of football left to be played. This team can still prove it is a true contender.

You're young.    You have no patience.

The people here who aren't freaking out every week like you and your friends have something you lack.....   perspective.

They understand greatness isn't achieved overnight.      And nothing is promised to you,  you have to earn it.

But you want things NOW!!     Tomorrow is too long to wait!!     

We've been a playoff team all three years of this current regime.    And if it's so easy because the division sucks -- then why have no other teams done what the Colts have done?       Ever ask yourself that question?       If winning this division is easy because everyone else sucks -- then why doesn't some owner hire a great GM and Head Coach and just dominate like the Colts have?

Hmmm?

Don't know if it belongs in this thread but I was pretty disappointed in our young wrs (ty, Dante, and Phillips) ability to get off jams in press bump coverage. They need to get stronger or smarter with their hands feet to get out into their routes faster. We complain luck takes too long to throw the ball but has anyone watched these young guys get off the ball....they rely too much on their speed at the top of the route to get open (which yes is very impressive) and need to do better getting off the ball so they can create separation sooner and give luck bigger quicker Windows to deliver the ball. I've been harsh on luck but I'm getting sick of the lazy way they sometimes run routes or at least the lack of fight to get off the ball.....it's a craft...take some pride because the release is just as important as the top of the route. Sorry for my rant.

Now you're going to passive aggressively comment on my first, middle and last name? Who cares about that stuff? Its just linked from fb, jeesh dude. All's im saying is that so far he hasn't been up to snuff and there's no way to just write off the poor play and signing by commenting that the rest of the group are doing good so it's fine. No one is Monday morning qbing. Why don't you be mature? I also don't see how this thread is a troll attempt btw.

U have me all wrong.

I'm just playin.

We should be on the same side... Its ok to disagree.

Btw, who isn't up to suff? Andre or Dorsett or who?

I lose track. If its Andre, he looked pretty damn good against houston. If its Dorsett, what chances has he had? Heck, you could say TY is underperforming too. The problem isnt the WRs. NONE of them, including the TEs havent been up to "par".. Including TY. Poor QB play, penalties, play calling have had bigger impact than poor WR play. I'd love to see stats on yards "lost" on passing due to holding penaties, illegal formation, etc.

I'm just sayin all these threads end up focusing on who hasn't met expectations and not who has. I didnt mean you, just the general tone of the board.

Heck, even Jesus would have a hard time "speculating" on players in the draft, free agency, etc. (dont take that literally, its humor)

Relax, i'm not you enemy. I'm a Colt fan.

Ask our nemesis Brady if he agrees with that. Aside from maybe Moss, brady's best passing success may have come from guys like welker, edelman, and amendola.

Those little guys can get in and out of breaks faster. This fits their stlye of dinks n dunks

This is the style we should do . Hilton and dorsett would wreak havoc in that offense. Plus , it takes pressure off the OL, AND LUCK (literally), quick, EASY receptions and let our talent make plays after catch. Seems so simple. This gets LBs offbalance,,, enter Mr. Gore.

Get Bradshaw, fleener, Moncrief more involved and WHAMMO!

Doesn't it truly seem this simple? What am i missing? Perhaps we have too much talent and its confusing the issue. I truly dont know. But theres no reason we shouldn't have drives like our 1st in Pats game MUCH more often. At least with the offensive talent we have, maybe besides OL. But we can work around that. Just don't ask so much of the OL. Heck, the current SB champs (cough." nonsense." cough) dont mind taking pressure off their OL, i think we can try. At least we see signs of it. Maybe before playoff time we'll finally realize it works.

our staff would never think like this lol they obviously haven't watched the pats do the same kind of passing on us since 2012. Quite frankly our receivers have better talent to get much more YAC yettt as often as we get beat by it we don't learn to adapt

our staff would never think like this lol they obviously haven't watched the pats do the same kind of passing on us since 2012. Quite frankly our receivers have better talent to get much more YAC yettt as often as we get beat by it we don't learn to adapt

YES! YES! You and i need to be calling plays.

Like taking candy from babies(sleeping babies)

haha

I find it amazingly scary that I'm just under a year away from a break point in my working life. 

From 2016 not only will the first of the "millennials" be legally able to work full time in the UK, I'll be literally twice their age.

By "UK" I'm guessing you DON'T MEAN the University of Kentucky?!?

So, the reason why I see you on-line at all sorts of crazy hours is because you're living in...........   England?

I thought you lived in Pittsburgh, or somewhere in Pennsylvania?          When did you go to the UK??

Me too, especially if AJ still isn't getting it done by then. Dorsetts snaps should increase.

I enjoyed seeing AJ have a good game against the Texans, but I also kind of felt like it could be a bad thing. Before that game, he'd been entirely unproductive, and was probably going to have his reps reduced in favor of Moncrief and Dorsett. Might have just delayed the inevitable. 

I enjoyed seeing AJ have a good game against the Texans, but I also kind of felt like it could be a bad thing. Before that game, he'd been entirely unproductive, and was probably going to have his reps reduced in favor of Moncrief and Dorsett. Might have just delayed the inevitable.

Yup I agree. Dorsett should still get more snaps regardless, AJ had one good game but other then that its basically been a draw between AJ and Dorsett. With Dorsett looking slightly better.

I'm not happy with the way the season has turned out so far either. But I'm not here turning on my team and rooting for them to fail like some of the posters here are, that's what I have a problem with. There's still a lot of football left to be played. This team can still prove it is a true contender.

no one is turning on the team wanting to get a championship caliber coaching staff is not turning on the team