Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So I'll Just Come Out And Say It.

Jaric

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP: Several people (SilentHill in particular) were flamed very strongly for saying that, but I agree entirely.

No, SilentHill was flamed for busting into a thread meant to celebrate last night's win and stating that being happy about the win means that you are a Manning fan and not a Colts fan and if you were a true Colts fan you would be upset by the win. There is a difference. Anytime somebody starts the "true fan" garbage, it usually leads to flaming.

The jumbled thoughts on this issue swirling chaotically in my head:

1. I hope the Colts lose to the Jags. The #1 pick has far more value than an extra win in a 2-14 season will ever have.

2. Under no circumstances do I want the Colts to tank the game. They should play to win to the best of their ability.

3. I will be rooting for the Colts to win......even though it is in direct contradiction of #1.

4. I will not be upset or angry with the players or the team if they do beat the Jags. I will be frustrated that this miserable season will end without the Colts getting the #1 pick as a consolation prize, but I will not hold it against he players or the coaches if they give it their all and come out on top.

5. I hope the Rams and Vikings both somehow find a way to win so that #1-4 become a moot point, I can root for a win, AND I can enjoy the win if it happens.

I hope we lose to the Jaguars.

That's right. I, a colts fan, and officially rooting against them next week against the Jaguars. This is something I've never done before, and I hope I never have to do again.

Blasphemy right? I must be a terrible fan right?

Before you flame me, I ask everyone here to ask themselves what on earth would one more win accomplish? So we're 3-13 instead of 2-14? Great. That means precisely nothing in the grand scheme of things. What difference would losing and securing the first overall pick accomplish? One of either two things.

It would potentially set up as at QB for the next 10-15 years. Or it would allow us to trade down for a kings randsom of picks and set us up at other positions for the next 10-15 years (ideally) We beat the Jags in a game that means nothing as far as this season is concerned and that all goes away.

Yeah losing sucks. But you know what, I'm more than willing to forgo the instant gratification that one win brings keeping in mind that by losing we could potentially ensure long term success for this frachise moving forward. This season is already over.

So for the next week and a half, I'm a Jaguar fan, and proud of it.

(NOTE: This post should be ignored if the unthinkable happens and both the Vikings and Rams win this weekend.)

Great Post!!! Couldnt agree with you more.

That's right. I, a colts fan, and officially rooting against them next week against the Jaguars. This is something I've never done before, and I hope I never have to do again.

Before you flame me, I ask everyone here to ask themselves what on earth would one more win accomplish? So we're 3-13 instead of 2-14? Great. That means precisely nothing in the grand scheme of things. What difference would losing and securing the first overall pick accomplish? One of either two things.

It would potentially set up as at QB for the next 10-15 years. Or it would allow us to trade down for a kings randsom of picks and set us up at other positions for the next 10-15 years (ideally) We beat the Jags in a game that means nothing as far as this season is concerned and that all goes away.

Yeah losing sucks. But you know what, I'm more than willing to forgo the instant gratification that one win brings keeping in mind that by losing we could potentially ensure long term success for this frachise moving forward. This season is already over.

(NOTE: This post should be ignored if the unthinkable happens and both the Vikings and Rams win this weekend.)

Thanks for keeping it real, you are just saying what 90% of us true fans are thinking. Anyone who thinks that rooting for the Colts to win 3 games instead of 2 makes them a better more loyal fan is just blinding rooting for entertainment only, while paying no attention to the big picture. That is the rare opportunity to have 25 years of awesome QB PLAY.

No fan wants there team to lose, period. worry about the draft after the season...period

if your 0-16, 3-16 worry about the season first

Totally agree. But you have to admit, if we should happen to lose the game, you probably won't have that ... empty/dead... feeling that settled in for the first 13 losses.

I'm rooting for the Rams and Vikings the next two weeks too.

What if the colts would of won a fourth game in 97 and instead of us picking PM Arizona did and they were the ones who won a super bowl been to 9 straight playoffs and such. This is our chance to get a positive out if this season. I know some of you don't think luck is going to be what everybody says but if he ends up being the next PM or elway that would be pretty sweet and all of u would have forgotten about the loss to the jags if we do.

Totally agree. But you have to admit, if we should happen to lose the game, you probably won't have that ... empty/dead... feeling that settled in for the first 13 losses.

I'm rooting for the Rams and Vikings the next two weeks too.

Every game I was disssapointed in a lose but I sure didn't think "well its okay we are closer to the #1 pick", never in my thoughts did I think that. After the season is over and we know where we stand in the draft, then will I think or guess who the Colts should pick.

What if the colts would of won a fourth game in 97 and instead of us picking PM Arizona did and they were the ones who won a super bowl been to 9 straight playoffs and such. This is our chance to get a positive out if this season. I know some of you don't think luck is going to be what everybody says but if he ends up being the next PM or elway that would be pretty sweet and all of u would have forgotten about the loss to the jags if we do.

I haven't been on the forum much (too depressed) so this may have already been beaten to death. But let's say we get the #3 pick and take RG3. He could actually play some right away if the coaches decide to put in a few plays that take advantage of his mobility. Another dimension to the offense.

I know all the 'you can never take Peyton off the field' arguments, but I'm just sayin...

..and guys..theVikings final game is at home against the Bears..with Johnny Knox...Matt Forte and Jay Cutler..

The bears are also on their 3rd string QB..and have lost 4 in a row going into a Xmas night Alomo at Green bay..

Minnesota most likely will have 3 wins and will draft behind the Colts

Johnny Knox won't be back, Forte should and Cutler might. Supposedly Cutler is back for this week's game, then again he wasn't supposed to be back until the playoffs, so it could be McClown. Then again Minnesota is really REALLY bad.

No fan wants there team to lose, period. worry about the draft after the season...period

if your 0-16, 3-16 worry about the season first

No fan wants their team to lose under any circumstances? Odd, we have several fans, myself included who are doing just that because of a unique set of circumstances. Because you see, losing actually puts our team in a better position than winning this one meaningless game does.

So it seems your post is incorrect.

Is this another "suck for Luck" thread...undercovered?

Not exactly. How we use the first overall pick wasn't really part of the discussion. Only the acknowledgement that gaining the first overall pick would be substantially better for the franchise than going 3-13 instead of 2-14.

I completely understand where you are coming from Jaric.

Winning one more game and going 3-13 is going to do absolutely nothing for us in the long run. Going 2-14 will do something for us in the long run. We either will be able to take one of the best QB prospects to come out in years or like you said trade down for a kings ransom. Teams like Washington and Seattle will be climbing over each other to get that spot.

To me if losing against the Jags means we can trade that first pick for multiple first and second round picks and quickly reload for our last run with Manning then I wan to see them do it.

If losing against the Jags gets us another 10 years of great QB play then it is well worth losing one more game.

It was like the year Durant came out. The Pacers were in great position in the lottery to get him, but they played themselves right out of it. You cannot tell me winning those extra ten or so games that one year was worth losing a much better chance at Durant.

I'd be on board with that if I thought that the Polians were willing to trade the first pick for restocking our team. But since he's come out and said publicly that he didn't think that made sense, I don't see that Luck has that much more value than say a Kalil or another good prospect. The only way he had a huge value was in trade. And if they're not thinking about trading, its no big loss to me if they win this last game. I'm not saying Luck isn't a GREAT qb, just that if Manning is healthy he doesn't add anything to our team right now. I want to be in contention the next few years and he doesn't help us do that. Trading him for a king's ransom helps us do that.

+ a million to your post.

I'd be on board with that if I thought that the Polians were willing to trade the first pick for restocking our team. But since he's come out and said publicly that he didn't think that made sense, I don't see that Luck has that much more value than say a Kalil or another good prospect. The only way he had a huge value was in trade. And if they're not thinking about trading, its no big loss to me if they win this last game. I'm not saying Luck isn't a GREAT qb, just that if Manning is healthy he doesn't add anything to our team right now. I want to be in contention the next few years and he doesn't help us do that. Trading him for a king's ransom helps us do that.

Ignore everything the front office has said about what they intend to do in the draft. There is so much posturing that goes on that it's impossible to know if something they said is genuine or a smokescreen to influence other teams behavior.

Ignore everything the front office has said about what they intend to do in the draft. There is so much posturing that goes on that it's impossible to know if something they said is genuine or a smokescreen to influence other teams behavior.

Do the Polians have much history of trading a pick in the past?

No, SilentHill was flamed for busting into a thread meant to celebrate last night's win and stating that being happy about the win means that you are a Manning fan and not a Colts fan and if you were a true Colts fan you would be upset by the win. There is a difference. Anytime somebody starts the "true fan" garbage, it usually leads to flaming.

I'm so proud to be an overnight celebrity, however all I said was that I was upset about the win and how it was a horrible day and what not. I was flamed WELL before I even told "someone" they were just a Manning fan, while that one particular person probably is. Most of us here are Colts fans, some of us want what's best for the team now and some want what's best for the future. Just like some of us go out and blow our paycheck every week and some of us save for retirement but we all still work.

Do the Polians have much history of trading a pick in the past?

We've traded a few picks here and there. We certainly aren't the Patriots who seemed bound and determined every year to trade back as many times as possible.

But we've also only had a top 5 pick I believe one other time since the Polian's have been here. So there really is no precedent here.

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, December 24, 2011 - unnecessary
Hidden by Peytongirl, December 24, 2011 - unnecessary

I'm so proud to be an overnight celebrity, however all I said was that I was upset about the win and how it was a horrible day and what not. I was flamed WELL before I even told "someone" they were just a Manning fan, while that one particular person probably is. Most of us here are Colts fans, some of us want what's best for the team now and some want what's best for the future. Just like some of us go out and blow our paycheck every week and some of us save for retirement but we all still work.

I wouldn't say celebrity...other choice words come to mind.

The jumbled thoughts on this issue swirling chaotically in my head:

1. I hope the Colts lose to the Jags. The #1 pick has far more value than an extra win in a 2-14 season will ever have.

2. Under no circumstances do I want the Colts to tank the game. They should play to win to the best of their ability.

3. I will be rooting for the Colts to win......even though it is in direct contradiction of #1.

4. I will not be upset or angry with the players or the team if they do beat the Jags. I will be frustrated that this miserable season will end without the Colts getting the #1 pick as a consolation prize, but I will not hold it against he players or the coaches if they give it their all and come out on top.

5. I hope the Rams and Vikings both somehow find a way to win so that #1-4 become a moot point, I can root for a win, AND I can enjoy the win if it happens.

Would have been nice if we could have been allowed to just enjoy a good much-needed win. Did you see Manning's face when Vinny missed, or after Wayne caught the td ball? They played with so much emotion last night that even if I wanted the 1st round pick I couldn't help but be merry! How as a fan can you not be excited by that kind of passion? Even if it means that we'll take a different qb in the draft?

No fan wants their team to lose under any circumstances? Odd, we have several fans, myself included who are doing just that because of a unique set of circumstances. Because you see, losing actually puts our team in a better position than winning this one meaningless game does.

So it seems your post is incorrect.

You get it and I get. I don't know why it's so hard for everybody to understand? No I don't think the team should tank under any circumstance but I definitely want them to lose next week because there is no difference between 2-14 or 3-13 but there is a HUGE difference between the #1 and #2 or 3 pick. Whether you keep it or trade it.

I agree with you

I'll go even further than Jaric. We should rest all our starters for the game next week. Imagine Bethea getting a career ending injury just so we have a chance to finish as the 3rd worst team of the year. If we can give up on a shot at perfection then we can give up on the #29 seed.

Painter at QB seals it.

Okay..irregardless of the player available..

the second pick is EXACTLY the same as the first pick...

Its an all-American....probably from a major college..who is certain to start immediately..

Its no loss to get the second pick instead of the 1st and you can trade up one space..if we later believe it is.

The second pick is excatly the same as the first unless you think one player is

Thats the point. Whether we (the Colts) think so or not, there ARE teams in the league that think Luck IS that much better than anyone else in the draft.

I'm not sure how you can say the #1 isn't more (if not much more) valuable than the 2nd. it is. Period.

I really don't see any way of arguing this point. Teams will give a ransom for Luck, but I don't see another player that anyone is talking 2 1st rd picks let alone 4 for Luck (which is being talked about).

Who'd of thought a two or three win season could get this exciting! maybe as exciting as 3/4 of the playoff runs in the last 10 years. Kinda funny.