Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Mock Draft 5.0

Round 1 - Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma. Phillips could go higher or he could go in the middle of the 3rd depending on how teams view his back injuries, but Phillips is a potentially dominant DT who could anchor our run defense for years to come. He athletic enough to play any position in our base defensive line. 

Round 2 - Ibraheim Campbell, S, Northwestern. Your "Discount-Landon Collins". Campbell is your prototypical 8th defender/ITB safety. He's very similar to a player named Deone Bucannon who was a first round pick last year. He takes good angles to the football, reads plays well, and hits with authority. Like Bucannon, he'll struggle in coverage, but that's not his game anyway. 

Round 3 - Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina. Now, and probably the forseeable future, I'm locked into Davis as our 3rd round pick. He offers a great combination of power, balance, and receiving ability. He can split carries with Gore. He shouldn't see many 3rd downs this year.

Round 4 - Terry Williams, NT, ECU. A lot of people don't know about Terry Williams. Here is what you need to know: He's one of the best true NTs in the draft. Seriously, just watch him. He might be getting projected later, but I'm not giving anybody else the chance to take him. 

Round 5 - Steffon Diggs, WR, Maryland. Percy Harvin-lite is the best I can desribe Diggs. He's an electrifying player with the ball in his hands. He'll probably never be a starter in the league, he's a player you needs to scheme touches for, but he offers tremendous upside as a returner and a weapon for gadget plays. 

Round 6 - Marcus Rush, EDGE, MSU. Rush is one of the more athletic pass rushers in this draft. He offers good depth and maybe even the potential to be a helpful rotational piece for the defense one day. 

Round 6 - Gerod Holliman, S, Louisville. I know, he can't tackle. But he's the best value left at this point. Holliman is a fantastic coverage safetywho led the nation in interceptions last season. His lack of physicality and athletic ability drops him all the way down to the 6th round.

Round 7 -  Tyler Moore, G/OT, Florida. Depth player. 

Round 7 - Jean Sifrin, TE, UMass. Sifrin is the oldest player in the draft at 27 years of age. He's still an athletic TE who can play special teams and possibly contribute down the line. If he were a few years younger, he might be looked at as a mid-round pick. 

I'm still not a believer that Holliday falls that far, but I love the rest of it for the most part. The only other thing I'm iffy on is Getty both Phillips and Williams. It's not a bad thing to have both, but in a perfect world for me, Williams would be a home run pick and we can spend that 1st rounder on someone else like a CB, ILB, OLB, or OT. That being said, I'd still be very delighted if our results looked something like this. Good mock.

Round 1 - Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma. Phillips could go higher or he could go in the middle of the 3rd depending on how teams view his back injuries, but Phillips is a potentially dominant DT who could anchor our run defense for years to come. He athletic enough to play any position in our base defensive line.

Round 2 - Ibraheim Campbell, S, Northwestern. Your "Discount-Landon Collins". Campbell is your prototypical 8th defender/ITB safety. He's very similar to a player named Deone Bucannon who was a first round pick last year. He takes good angles to the football, reads plays well, and hits with authority. Like Bucannon, he'll struggle in coverage, but that's not his game anyway.

Round 3 - Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina. Now, and probably the forseeable future, I'm locked into Davis as our 3rd round pick. He offers a great combination of power, balance, and receiving ability. He can split carries with Gore. He shouldn't see many 3rd downs this year.

Round 4 - Terry Williams, NT, ECU. A lot of people don't know about Terry Williams. Here is what you need to know: He's one of the best true NTs in the draft. Seriously, just watch him. He might be getting projected later, but I'm not giving anybody else the chance to take him.

Round 5 - Steffon Diggs, WR, Maryland. Percy Harvin-lite is the best I can desribe Diggs. He's an electrifying player with the ball in his hands. He'll probably never be a starter in the league, he's a player you needs to scheme touches for, but he offers tremendous upside as a returner and a weapon for gadget plays.

Round 6 - Marcus Rush, EDGE, MSU. Rush is one of the more athletic pass rushers in this draft. He offers good depth and maybe even the potential to be a helpful rotational piece for the defense one day.

Round 6 - Gerod Holliman, S, Louisville. I know, he can't tackle. But he's the best value left at this point. Holliman is a fantastic coverage safetywho led the nation in interceptions last season. His lack of physicality and athletic ability drops him all the way down to the 6th round.

Round 7 - Tyler Moore, G/OT, Florida. Depth player.

Round 7 - Jean Sifrin, TE, UMass. Sifrin is the oldest player in the draft at 27 years of age. He's still an athletic TE who can play special teams and possibly contribute down the line. If he were a few years younger, he might be looked at as a mid-round pick.

great draft Dustin really like this one!!! Love Phillips in the 1st. Love grabbing both Campbell and Holliman. you've liked Davis for awhile if tou think hes good i cabt dusagree. i dont know Williams like you said but I trust you. If Diggs can be like Harvin would be a great way to solidify our return game finally. See got a spartan in Rush that always is great to me. haha I would be extremely excited if we got these players

I'm still not a believer that Holliday falls that far, but I love the rest of it for the most part. The only other thing I'm iffy on is Getty both Phillips and Williams. It's not a bad thing to have both, but in a perfect world for me, Williams would be a home run pick and we can spend that 1st rounder on someone else like a CB, ILB, OLB, or OT. That being said, I'd still be very delighted if our results looked something like this. Good mock.

thing is tho Phillips would prolly play the RJF role and willams would be the NT so we'd have a D line of Jones Williams and Phillips if they worked out

My understanding of Terry Williams is that he has some off the field issues that may lead to him being undrafted. I would be hesitant to spend more than a 7th round pick on him. 

He got arrested for possession 3 years ago. 

All in all, I like the mock a lot.

I don't think Campbell is worth the #2 pick here,  but I think lots of teams are going to reach for a safety in this draft and they'll ALL claim that guy was rated a #2 on their board.

OK....

But, on balance, I'd be happy with that draft haul if the Colts came away with those players.

1.Like it a lot

2.He is a very willing tackler who is not afraid to lower his shoulder and hit somebody but he looks like he is a tick or two to late to diagnose pass or run...Which can be developed however....still a concern to me. The deal breaker for me is his recovery and deep speed

3.I like Davis and don't really have any concerns about the pick but if by chance Duke is here for the taking he is my guy or Abdullah

4.Really like him, powerful, athletic, has some range

5.Well said

6.Have not really found a lot on the guy....Though I think I got Michigan States bowl game still on DVR...Ill have to watch it again

6.Pass......If ya dont want to tackle then I don't want ya on my team is how I see it, I don't see much effort other then when he gets picks

7.Dont know much about him

7.Really like him as a matchup nightmare, quick, athletic. can go up and get the ball......27 years old is the downside and he isn't a good blocker though he is willing....I'd rather have a run blocking TE with some pass catching skills

I really like it except for Holliman. We have a lot of the same players. I really like Davis hope Grig's & Company do to.

I think we have to come out of this draft with a CB Toler will be over 30 and a FA next year. CB's are so costly on the open market. This is a strong draft for corners I think it would be a mistake not to get one

I would love to get Peters in the 1st

I'm not a Holliman fan, but for people saying pass, it's a sixth with high upside, I like it. You don't expect a sixth to be a big part of the team, and his ceiling is going to be higher than the picks around him.

Round 1 - Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma. Phillips could go higher or he could go in the middle of the 3rd depending on how teams view his back injuries, but Phillips is a potentially dominant DT who could anchor our run defense for years to come. He athletic enough to play any position in our base defensive line. 

Round 2 - Ibraheim Campbell, S, Northwestern. Your "Discount-Landon Collins". Campbell is your prototypical 8th defender/ITB safety. He's very similar to a player named Deone Bucannon who was a first round pick last year. He takes good angles to the football, reads plays well, and hits with authority. Like Bucannon, he'll struggle in coverage, but that's not his game anyway. 

Round 3 - Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina. Now, and probably the forseeable future, I'm locked into Davis as our 3rd round pick. He offers a great combination of power, balance, and receiving ability. He can split carries with Gore. He shouldn't see many 3rd downs this year.

Round 4 - Terry Williams, NT, ECU. A lot of people don't know about Terry Williams. Here is what you need to know: He's one of the best true NTs in the draft. Seriously, just watch him. He might be getting projected later, but I'm not giving anybody else the chance to take him. 

Round 5 - Steffon Diggs, WR, Maryland. Percy Harvin-lite is the best I can desribe Diggs. He's an electrifying player with the ball in his hands. He'll probably never be a starter in the league, he's a player you needs to scheme touches for, but he offers tremendous upside as a returner and a weapon for gadget plays. 

Round 6 - Marcus Rush, EDGE, MSU. Rush is one of the more athletic pass rushers in this draft. He offers good depth and maybe even the potential to be a helpful rotational piece for the defense one day. 

Round 6 - Gerod Holliman, S, Louisville. I know, he can't tackle. But he's the best value left at this point. Holliman is a fantastic coverage safetywho led the nation in interceptions last season. His lack of physicality and athletic ability drops him all the way down to the 6th round.

Round 7 - Jean Sifrin, TE, UMass. Sifrin is the oldest player in the draft at 27 years of age. He's still an athletic TE who can play special teams and possibly contribute down the line. If he were a few years younger, he might be looked at as a mid-round pick. 

For what it's worth....   Since i don't know anything about Williams,  the big NT, I did a check on him...

ESPN has him as the 36th DT with a 7th round grade.

NFL.com has no profile on him so, I'd say free agent.  

And same with CBS Sports....    they list him as a free agent.

To be clear, I'm not saying he won't be a good football player.    He might be.   But spending a 4 on someone just because you love him and don't want to lose him is how current scouts become former scouts.     Spend a 7 on the guy and if you're crazy for him, bang the table for a 6.      But a 4?     That's how careers end.....

If you want a safety that's myself an in-box guy, I don't see why not not just take Tartt in the 2nd round. If anyone is a discount Landon Collins it's Tartt.

He's basically the exact same size, just as good in the box, but he has more coverage ability. Collins and Tartt are almost identical prospects tbh

If you want a safety that's myself an in-box guy, I don't see why not not just take Tartt in the 2nd round. If anyone is a discount Landon Collins it's Tartt.

He's basically the exact same size, just as good in the box, but he has more coverage ability. Collins and Tartt are almost identical prospects tbh

What are you basing this on? I've seen one game tape of him and it left a lot to be desired.

What made you go away from Carl Davis?

I like this draft a lot. I like the Campbell pick up in the 2nd he is a underrated player in this draft and will make a nice SS. It's nice to see someone else mentioning Terry Williams. That guy is a one man wrecking crew at NT and will be a mid round steal IMO. Also I doubt Holliman would be there in the 6th but if he is that would be an excellent depth pick. IF he could develop solid tackling skills to go with his ballhawking ability he could possibly be an elite FS.

The argument against is that Collins performed against SEC competition,  the toughest in college football.

Tartt was at Samford.     I'm not sure what division that is,  but it's a much, much, much lower level of football. 

His ability to perform at an NFL level is a projection not based on his performance in college.

The argument against is that Collins performed against SEC competition,  the toughest in college football.

Tartt was at Samford.     I'm not sure what division that is,  but it's a much, much, much lower level of football. 

His ability to perform at an NFL level is a projection not based on his performance in college.

It is D 1 use to be Howard University. They are in the Southern Conference actually played TCU 48-14 and Auburn 31-7 this year. I guess if you got that tape you might be able to see what he looks like against the big boys.

I am hesitant to think he is ready to step in and play right away which would make me less inclined to take him in the 2nd but I am no GM.

I really hope we take one of the good press corners in this draft. Toler is a FA and 31 next year and CB's are ridiculously expensive on the open market..

Grig's will get it right.

"His ability to perform at an NFL level is a projection not based on his performance in college."

Much of it still is but with the lower level of competition in mind, He is still being judged on how well he moves and ability to know his coverages, size, agility, speed, instincts and technique

"His ability to perform at an NFL level is a projection not based on his performance in college."

Much of it still is but with the lower level of competition in mind, He is still being judged on how well he moves and ability to know his coverages, size, agility, speed, instincts and technique

He showed well at the Senior Bowl and according to what I have read looked good in the Auburn game as well. He may well be worth a second.

I just hope we get a CB in this draft there seem to be a few that would fit our D well. Toler's age and impending FA's. It would seem a no brainer to me.

thing is tho Phillips would prolly play the RJF role and willams would be the NT so we'd have a D line of Jones Williams and Phillips if they worked out

First of all congratulations on being able to sort through the typo/autocorrect trainwreck that was my last post. Secondly, I'm going to have to admit that I simply hadn't thought of Phillips playing DE, so I guess that makes sense.

What are you basing this on? I've seen one game tape of him and it left a lot to be desired.

They're isn't a lot of tape out there, you're right. But in the tape that's out there he showed SEC level skills, and they're are scores who have said the same.

It was a limited sample, but he also looked good at the Senior Bowl. He also ran faster than people thought, and had shown great closing speed, great tackling form/technique, and coverage ability.

I believe Tartt is severely underrated.

First of all congratulations on being able to sort through the typo/autocorrect trainwreck that was my last post. Secondly, I'm going to have to admit that I simply hadn't thought of Phillips playing DE, so I guess that makes sense.

no problem haha we all have posts like that! :)

draft id like to see        1 ARIK ARMSTEAD---- beast

2 NATE ORCHARD--- Pass rusher

3 COREY ROBINSON----big tackle that can move people

4 LEDARIUS GUNTER -----MIAMI cb

5  SHAQ REDDICK-----WEST VA LB

6-A-HOLLIMAN

6-B--TAIWAN JONES---MSU ILB

7-A---DEVANTE DAVIS WR UNLV

7-B--MAHANE----TE BYU

I like Goldman over Phillips. I just watched Phillips vs TCU for the first time and either he's a bit overhyped, or TCU has an All-American caliber center because he handled Philllips all game long. I'll have to look up who that center is but that's easily the worst tape I've seen from Phillips and it's a real cause for concern if that center is JAG.

I like Goldman over Phillips. I just watched Phillips vs TCU for the first time and either he's a bit overhyped, or TCU has an All-American caliber center because he handled Philllips all game long. I'll have to look up who that center is but that's easily the worst tape I've seen from Phillips and it's a real cause for concern if that center is JAG.

TCU vs easily his worst tape. Watch the Clemson game.

TCU vs easily his worst tape. Watch the Clemson game.

The Clemson tape was the first tape I ever saw of him like 2 months ago. He shows first round potential there. This reminds me of the issue Mayock had with Bjoern Werner though.

He said his biggest issue was that he saw some Miami tape and the tackle he played against handled him all day long. So much so that it made him go out and research the OT. That OT turned out to be Seantrel Henderson, 2014 7th round pick by the Buffalo Bills. I looked it up and the center is Joey Hunt.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/97524/top-10-player-spring-update-tcu-horned-frogs-football

Sounds like a pretty good player so maybe he just went up against a good player. I hope that's all it is because I do like Phillips.

I like Goldman over Phillips. I just watched Phillips vs TCU for the first time and either he's a bit overhyped, or TCU has an All-American caliber center because he handled Philllips all game long. I'll have to look up who that center is but that's easily the worst tape I've seen from Phillips and it's a real cause for concern if that center is JAG.

His name is Joey Hunt, and I think he's going to be a great prospect next year. Like you, I discovered him in the Phillips tape, and I've since watched other TCU cut-ups and games; he's a serious player. He was actually a DL in high school, and TCU converted him. He'll be even better as a senior, I think. TCU also helped on Phillips a lot. They were really smart about not letting him beat them.

As Dustin said, that game is by far Phillips' worst on DB. The Clemson game was his best, and he got hurt halfway through, came back and picked up right where he left off. Any questions about his ability are easily answered in that game. The questions about him are entirely about consistency, and that's what you see in his other tapes. His back is a question mark also, but he insists that's long in the past, and he played through 2014 with no issues. He should be limited to 30 snaps a game, I think, to keep him fresh and giving optimal effort, and in our front, that would be natural. 

To me, Phillips is easily a first round talent. Goldman, too. I like Phillips better for his athleticism and hand work, but I'd be fine with Goldman.