Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mayock's New Positional Rankings.

Mariota over Jameis.  That's interesting

Long term, I agree.  Year 1, Winston will perform better.  Year 3 and 4 remains to be seen.  I agree Hundley at 5.  I think he'd be lucky to be a Jason Campbell type... And I still want Mannion.  Hopefully we can snag him in round 5, but another team may go fishing for him before then.

Mariota over Jameis.  That's interesting

He's bothered by Winston's off the field stuff. His explanation is that, against his better judgment, he bought in on Johnny Manziel last year, and it worked out poorly. So he's sticking to his guns on Winston.

For a front office to make that kind of determination makes sense to me. But purely from a football standpoint, including long term projections, I think Winston is a much better NFL QB than Mariota. Much better. The question is simply about whether he's going to do something stupid, or not show the necessary work ethic to become the pro that he has the talent to become.

He also has Gordon ahead of Gurley, and has for a long time.

Im not one for all the rising and falling shananigans that takes place especially after the Combine right up to draft to be honest(Because all the tape that can be had on the prospect don't suddenly change post combine)....Just people with to much times on their hands between combine and draft, I tend to stick to my initial instincts and eye test, Only way I may lower someone is injury or some kid being a bonehead

We don't need WR's but I would much rather have Strong than Agholor or Perriman. Surprised a lot Mariotta in #1 slot, especially after a average pro day, and so many saying he will take time. Even Mayock has said that. Really surprised Armstead has moved up to #2, especially how raw he is, plus I hope he is wrong about Dawson so he can fall to the second. Scouts, just focus on his combine, not his actual tape(Sarcasm)! The last thing I saw which is interesting, he has Quentin Rollins listed as a safety. He played CB at Miami of Ohio, but I still would love him in the second, and I would love to have him move to safety. Plays the ball so well. In fact, in the 2nd round, I am hoping for Dawson or Rollins!!!!

Im not one for all the rising and falling shananigans that takes place especially after the Combine right up to draft to be honest(Because all the tape that can be had on the prospect don't suddenly change post combine)....Just people with to much times on their hands between combine and draft, I tend to stick to my initial instincts and eye test, Only way I may lower someone is injury or some kid being a bonehead

Yeah, I'm sure teams do too. Not sure why they hold private workouts and interviews, as everything is set in stone from tape.

I some of the shifting Mayock does is based on how his sources are telling him teams are looking at them.  I also believe other things besides the combine are changing teams draft boards ... I think scouts are still making cases for certain players, things are coming out in interviews, free agency changes team needs, off field issues come up, etc... 

I some of the shifting Mayock does is based on how his sources are telling him teams are looking at them.  I also believe other things besides the combine are changing teams draft boards ... I think scouts are still making cases for certain players, things are coming out in interviews, free agency changes team needs, off field issues come up, etc... 

Of course but I mentioned interviews and injuries and prospects being a bonehead, Grigson himself said his board really don't change much post combine.

I wonder if Mayock was Told or Paid to switch the qb rankings?

With the Draft still about 3 weeks away, this gives the NFL NETWORK something kinda new to talk about.

You make it sound like Winston should be there without question.

Long term, I agree. Year 1, Winston will perform better. Year 3 and 4 remains to be seen. I agree Hundley at 5. I think he'd be lucky to be a Jason Campbell type... And I still want Mannion. Hopefully we can snag him in round 5, but another team may go fishing for him before then.

As well as years 1, and 2, and 5-retirement.

I wonder if Mayock was Told or Paid to switch the qb rankings?

With the Draft still about 3 weeks away, this gives the NFL NETWORK something kinda new to talk about.

I think you can feel confident that that did not happen.

I think the chances are less than zero.

I would really hope that other teams view his safety rankings the same because I would love to have Smith or Tartt. Or if we got them both somehow that'd be even better.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think Smith is the best safety in coverage of this draft class.

I wonder if Mayock has been told some negative things about Winston that perhaps scouts know, but is not out in the general public -- yet.    I think that's possible.

Based on what's on tape, it's hard to buy Mariotta over Winston.....

Don't you only read articles and not watch any tape?

He could end up out of the league by year 5 and still probably end up with a better career than Mariotta.

Because he came from a spread system and can run, right?  Give me one reason as to why, him as a player, will be a bust.

Because he came from a spread system and can run, right? Give me one reason as to why, him as a player, will be a bust.

A pretty basic one read spread system at that. Much like Petty, he threw a limoted passing tree, due to his receiver being more responsible for the play than him - YAC. Let's not even get into the horrific Pac-12 defenses he got to play against. Take his first read away and make him go to his second and he has a bad habit of rushing his throws at times. He practically goes into full on panic mode after that 2nd progression is gone.

Actually his mobility is a plus honestly, as he rarely puts himself I'm danger once he takes off. I think he's going to struggle with NFL defenses.

I watch some tape.    What's your point?

You said someone was better on tape.  You've admitted to not watching tape in the past.  Call me cynical about comments you have about people being better on tape.

He's a terrible decision maker.

Sure he was.. in 14'. 13' he was much better, he even admitted he was trying to do to much last year. By no means am I saying the guy is going to be a top-15 QB in the NFL next year, but comparing him to the other QB's in this draft, I don't believe there is a QB that's as ready as him.

Trust me I'm not above being wrong.. Teddy turns into something special YOU will be the first I will admit I was wrong to. haha

You said someone was better on tape.  You've admitted to not watching tape in the past.  Call me cynical about comments you have about people being better on tape.

I think you have me confused with somebody else.....

Do I watch less than other people here,  probably.    I also watch more than others.

But I think I read more than most here.

If you don't like my opinions,  hey, you're not alone,  and you're perfectly entitled.

A pretty basic one read spread system at that. Much like Petty, he threw a limoted passing tree, due to his receiver being more responsible for the play than him - YAC. Let's not even get into the horrific Pac-12 defenses he got to play against. Take his first read away and make him go to his second and he has a bad habit of rushing his throws at times. He practically goes into full on panic mode after that 2nd progression is gone.

Actually his mobility is a plus honestly, as he rarely puts himself I'm danger once he takes off. I think he's going to struggle with NFL defenses.

There is plenty of tape with him going through progressions, though.  I'd be curious to see him "panicking".  He does need to learn to stay in the locket longer, but when he does flush he still keeps his eyes down field.  He led the NCAA in yards per attempt; you're saying that was because of YAC?  That's just crazy.  He threw the ball downfield plenty.  The offense at Oregon was much different with Mariota than before him.  They threw the ball a lot more, especially down the field.  

Just listen to what Mora Jr. and David Shaw have to say about him.

I think you have me confused with somebody else.....

Do I watch less than other people here,  probably.    I also watch more than others.

But I think I read more than most here.

If you don't like my opinions,  hey, you're not alone,  and you're perfectly entitled.

Nah, it was you because I was surprised and it stood out.  Nothing wrong with not watching much tape at all, but if that's the case, I wouldn't make statements regarding tape, either.

Nah, it was you because I was surprised and it stood out.  Nothing wrong with not watching much tape at all, but if that's the case, I wouldn't make statements regarding tape, either.

Hey,  there are plenty of people who watch tons of tape and the statements they make aren't worth the internet paper they're written on.

Like I said,  I watch plenty of tape.   I'm perfectly comfortable with what I say....

Again,  you're free to disagree as much as you like......

In the next few weeks I'm about to come out with various lists of the top players in the first four rounds.

I can tell you now, I haven't watched tape on 150-200 players to give opinions on the top four rounds.

But I'll still put on my thoughts.    Some people like them,  others,  not so much.

That's what makes the world go around....

There is plenty of tape with him going through progressions, though. I'd be curious to see him "panicking". He does need to learn to stay in the locket longer, but when he does flush he still keeps his eyes down field. He led the NCAA in yards per attempt; you're saying that was because of YAC? That's just crazy. He threw the ball downfield plenty. The offense at Oregon was much different with Mariota than before him. They threw the ball a lot more, especially down the field.

Just listen to what Mora Jr. and David Shaw have to say about him.

He was also statistically far and away the best QB when pressured last year.

I guess. What gives the impression that his first year wasn't the fluke?

My read of things is that FSU lost a fair amount of talent and Winston tried too hard to make things happen.

And when push came to shove this past season,  Winston rallied his team.   When he had to be good,  he was good.

I don't think he's perfect, or even polished enough.   But I think he's the most pro ready QB out there and clearly better than anyone the past two drafts.

He was also statistically far and away the best QB when pressured last year.

People really need to watch the Mich St. tape at the very least before making judgement on him.

My read of things is that FSU lost a fair amount of talent and Winston tried too hard to make things happen.

And when push came to shove this past season,  Winston rallied his team.   When he had to be good,  he was good.

I don't think he's perfect, or even polished enough.   But I think he's the most pro ready QB out there and clearly better than anyone the past two drafts.

Putting your team in a hole and digging your way out with superior talent surrounding you doesn't do anything for me.

People really need to watch the Mich St. tape at the very least before making judgement on him.

Putting your team in a hole and digging your way out with superior talent surrounding you doesn't do anything for me.

I'm not a big Winston fan,  but the fact that you see Mariotta as better doesn't surprise me one bit.

This is exactly the reason Winston through more picks last year.   They didn't really have any talent on that offense to me outside of Rashad Greene.  That was really the only guy he could rely on other than maybe Nick Oleary.    Winston was forcing things to make something happen.  

I'm not a big Winston fan,  but the fact that you see Mariotta as better doesn't surprise me one bit.

I'm not saying he's better on the field.  I think they're both pretty good on the field.  The tipping point is everything else.  Mariota is everything you want in a person that is going to be the face of your franchise.  He has a ton of physical tools and is a consummate professional.  He will take a little time to adjust to the NFL game, but with his work ethic and demeanor, I can't see him failing.  He's a lot more Aaron Rodgers/Russell Wilson than Kap.  Not saying he'll have the same success, but he's the same type of player.