Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Randy Gregory fell to Colts...

I for one would love Indy to get him, IF we monitored him better than Josh Gordon was monitored at Cleveland. But he would instantly be our best pass rusher and could be a beast once he added more strength.

Do you think it's possible he drops and if so would you want the Colts to draft him?

I'd take him, but I do know Grigs is getting tired of the marijuana/alcohol guys.  Hopefully Gregory can get that straightened out. Marijuana is a particularly hard drug to leave alone if your mind is not made up. I speak from experience on that, although I haven't smoked it in years.

He is a chronic weed smoker, and his story that he tested positive because he smoked in December is hard to swallow.  In an extreme case, a heavy cannabis user of more than 10 years was able to test positive (at 20 ng/ml limit) for up to 67 days after last being exposed to marijuana.  Note that he NFL went from a 15ng/ml spec to 35ng/ml in the latest Substance abuse policy the NFLPA signed off on.

So if he smoked in mid - late December, then that would be up to 60 days.  And failed at a level 15ng/ml higher than test condition noted above and 20ng/ml higher than older, previous NFL standards (that Josh Gordon barely failed). This is most extreme case territory for a long time heavy user, that goes cold turkey to still fail.  That tells me he doesn't have a grip on controlling it, and likely will not ever get a grip on it.  Either that, or he lied and smoked recently to the combine.  That's even worse IMO. Huge red flag and potential to toss yet another 1st round pick down the toilet.  I just don't trust him.

So yeah, I'm probably going to go against the trend and say no, I'll pass.  (with extreme pain)

Posted Today, 10:01 AM

ColtsBlueFL, on 08 Apr 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:snapback.png

He is a chronic weed smoker

For someone to fail a drug test at 35ng/ml 45-60 days out you medically have to be.  Or a more recent toker and a liar.

Quotes and snippets on Gregory-

"I don't wake up every day saying, I'd really love to go smoke," he said. {I believe he's lying}  "It's not a struggle for me every day (now), it really isn't. In the past, hell yeah, it's been a struggle. It really has been. Now, I'm focused on my dream."

**Gregory said he first smoked marijuana after graduating from Hamilton Southeastern High School in Fishers, Ind., and before enrolling at Arizona Western Community College in 2011. He had failed to qualify academically at Purdue, which represented a considerable disappointment to him, and Gregory said he turned to marijuana to cope with the anxiety.**

"I was worse at Nebraska than I've ever been at any other time of my life," Gregory said. "But I know how I am now. I think if teams really look at how I am now more so than the past, they'll see I'm making strides to get better, as a person and as a player."   

He's not cured, doesn't even admit to it.  He's a potential ticking time bomb for relapse.  Not saying he will, but very risky... As far as the bolded type, if he started after High School, where is the 'any other time in my life" ?

Now he likely has a team to help him stay clean.  I hope he does.  He's a test target now. But the list of those who were wanting to stay clean and failing is notable.  I wish him the best.

Posted Today, 10:01 AM

ColtsBlueFL, on 08 Apr 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:snapback.png

For someone to fail a drug test at 35ng/ml 45-60 days out you medically have to be.  Or a more recent toker and a liar.

Quotes and snippets on Gregory-

"I don't wake up every day saying, I'd really love to go smoke," he said. {I believe he's lying}  "It's not a struggle for me every day (now), it really isn't. In the past, hell yeah, it's been a struggle. It really has been. Now, I'm focused on my dream."

**Gregory said he first smoked marijuana after graduating from Hamilton Southeastern High School in Fishers, Ind., and before enrolling at Arizona Western Community College in 2011. He had failed to qualify academically at Purdue, which represented a considerable disappointment to him, and Gregory said he turned to marijuana to cope with the anxiety.**

"I was worse at Nebraska than I've ever been at any other time of my life," Gregory said. "But I know how I am now. I think if teams really look at how I am now more so than the past, they'll see I'm making strides to get better, as a person and as a player."   

He's not cured, doesn't even admit to it.  He's a potential ticking time bomb for relapse.  Not saying he will, but very risky...

Now he likely has a team to help him stay clean.  I hope he does.  He's a test target now. But the list of those who were wanting to stay clean and failing is notable.  I wish him the best.

I thought you were making a clever joke. 

Absolutely not, the higher he goes the better. I was actually disappointed he is falling because now the Jags or Titans won't draft him and get the biggest bust in the draft. The guy is a bad player IMO, and he has character concerns. He's undraftable to me. Hopefully a team takes him before 29 and takes that temptation away from us. I'd rather take Maxx Williams the TE in the 1st than this guy. That's how much I dislike him as a player.

My biggest concern is if you can't leave it alone when you don't have money(which is where gregory stands right now), then how will you leave it alone when you have a pocket full of money and you have full access to the best stuff?

My biggest concern is if you can't leave it alone when you don't have money(which is where gregory stands right now), then how will you leave it alone when you have a pocket full of money and you have full access to the best stuff?

He's a suspension waiting to happen. Add that to the fact that he's an extremely raw player and isn't anything special to begin with, and you have a sucker pick here. A few people knew he was average and was going to be overdrafted as a player, now he will freefall. The drugs just ignited the freefall. You are right, he will keep using them and he will get suspended probably a few times.

Absolutely not, the higher he goes the better. I was actually disappointed he is falling because now the Jags or Titans won't draft him and get the biggest bust in the draft. The guy is a bad player IMO, and he has character concerns. He's undraftable to me. Hopefully a team takes him before 29 and takes that temptation away from us. I'd rather take Maxx Williams the TE in the 1st than this guy. That's how much I dislike him as a player.

That's ridiculous. He's in no way a bad player. Probably a little overrated for somebody being rpojected as a top 5 pick, but he is not a bad player by any stretch of the imagination. 

That's ridiculous. He's in no way a bad player. Probably a little overrated for somebody being rpojected as a top 5 pick, but he is not a bad player by any stretch of the imagination. 

He's basically a Bjoern Werner that also is a suspension risk. Think about that. He was as overrated as Clowney before the drugs sent him down draft boards. He shouldn't be a 1st rounder. I'll make you a friendly bet he has a terrible rookie year. Don't let the "expert" opinions affect your judgment. Sometimes common sense can reveal more about a player than expert opinions. It will with Clowney and it will with Gregory.

He's basically a Bjoern Werner that also is a suspension risk. Think about that. He was as overrated as Clowney before the drugs sent him down draft boards. He shouldn't be a 1st rounder. I'll make you a friendly bet he has a terrible rookie year. Don't let the "expert" opinions affect your judgment. Sometimes common sense can reveal more about a player than expert opinions. It will with Clowney and it will with Gregory.

"Basically Bjoern Werner"

oh no

Clowney hasn't had a chance to prove himself and you're already throwing him under the bus. I'm sure any coach would love to have Clowney on their team.

Clowney hasn't had a chance to prove himself and you're already throwing him under the bus. I'm sure any coach would love to have Clowney on their team.

I didn't like him before the draft, a lot of people on this forum heard me talk about his laziness, lack of heart, and the fact that he was overrated because of one big hit. He had one great year, but plenty of DE's have a great year in college. Clowney is an easy case to see that he will bust, it's unfortunate that some people won't admit to it until it's so obvious that it hits them in the face. The fact that he got only got 4 tackles isn't the reason I don't like him, he wouldn't of had a great year anyway. He's just not good, and his heart isn't in the game. We'll see if that changes when he comes back next year (if he comes back next year). Otherwise, he's a guy that got shot to the moon because of a hit.

Not a Gregory fan the weed just causes more concern. He's not great at anything.

If we are going to take a chance on someone I'd rather roll the dice on Peters or PJ Willams in the 2nd the two corners who fit our D perfectly

I am also really curious how far Olomu falls.

It would take a small miracle. But if he's there at #29 I don't see us passing on him.

I would have wanted the Colts to have met with him several times to get some information and assurances about the past (hopefully) weed usage.

But we have the veteran presence on defense in Mathis, DQ and Adams and leadership to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Personally, I think he's overrated and shouldn't be a top 10 pick but I would seriously consider him at #29.

The whole weed thing doesn't bother me. It's a harmless drug that gets put under as much scrutiny as actual harmful drugs. That's a whole different debate in itself, but even with that I still wouldn't take him.

The athleticism is there, but he's still too raw of a player for me to gamble on in the first round. On top of that he's a little light for his height. Mathis can weigh 240'ish and get by with it because he has great leverage and bend to get under and around the OT. I don't see that kind of bend and leverage out of Gregory to be able to dominate at that weight. I think he will be over-powered and easily diverted by NFL OT's. If he were another 10-15lbs heavier, I could see it, but not at 245.

I don't believe Gregory can come in and make an impact any more than Newsome did, and we know where he went in the draft.

Whoever Grigson selects at #29 simply CANNOT have one strike under the NFL substance abuse program before he even takes the field.

Gregory will come in with one strike and be in Phase 1 of the program...and for that reason I hope we've erased him off our board.

Other than Andrew we've screwed up our 1st round picks enough as it is....have we not?

But we have the veteran presence on defense in Mathis, DQ and Adams and leadership to keep him on the straight and narrow.

That seemed to work great for Purifoy. All the veteran leadership in the world can't help out some guys. No, thanks...I don't want him.

Whoever Grigson selects at #29 simply CANNOT have one strike under the NFL substance abuse program before he even takes the field.

Gregory will come in with one strike and be in Phase 1 of the program...and for that reason I hope we've erased him off our board.

Other than Andrew we've screwed up our 1st round picks enough as it is....have we not?

I see what you're saying here, but how will he have 1 strike before he's actually even an Employee of an NFL team?  You can't be held to policies when you're not their employee.  They just confirmed he smokes weed and that's it.

I see what you're saying here, but how will he have 1 strike before he's actually even an Employee of an NFL team?  You can't be held to policies when you're not their employee.  They just confirmed he smokes weed and that's it.

I'm not sure of the specifics of the policy, but if you declare for the draft and go to the Combine, you are subject to the drug policy. That's the reason they can have you take the drug test at the Combine in the first place. And if you fail a test at the Combine, you're put into the substance abuse program and have a strike.

I'm not sure of the specifics of the policy, but if you declare for the draft and go to the Combine, you are subject to the drug policy. That's the reason they can have you take the drug test at the Combine in the first place. And if you fail a test at the Combine, you're put into the substance abuse program and have a strike.

Seems odd to me, but you usually know these things better than I do.  To me it's like being subject to a companies tardy policy before you are even employed.

Seems odd to me, but you usually know these things better than I do.  To me it's like being subject to a companies tardy policy before you are even employed.

I think a better analogy would be having to take a drug test before you're hired. That's a practice that's used by a lot of companies. If you want to be a FedEx driver, you have to submit to drug testing. If you fail, they won't even hire you.

In this case, he's still eligible to play in the NFL. But he's in phase 1 of the substance abuse policy. I'm pretty sure that's collectively bargained by the union that he'll soon join. And personally, I'm okay with it. He benefits from the Combine, which is sponsored by the NFL. If they require him to submit to drug testing in order to participate, I think that's fair.

As someone who lives in Nebraska if the Colts draft Gregory I will no longer support the team. He will be the next person to go "You can't arrest me I'm a Colt". After we wasted the last 2 first round picks Griggs better not do it again.

As someone who lives in Nebraska if the Colts draft Gregory I will no longer support the team. He will be the next person to go "You can't arrest me I'm a Colt". After we wasted the last 2 first round picks Griggs better not do it again.

Justin-Timberlake-Blank-Stare.gif

I think a better analogy would be having to take a drug test before you're hired. That's a practice that's used by a lot of companies. If you want to be a FedEx driver, you have to submit to drug testing. If you fail, they won't even hire you.

In this case, he's still eligible to play in the NFL. But he's in phase 1 of the substance abuse policy. I'm pretty sure that's collectively bargained by the union that he'll soon join. And personally, I'm okay with it. He benefits from the Combine, which is sponsored by the NFL. If they require him to submit to drug testing in order to participate, I think that's fair.

Exactly.  Here's the pertinent parts of the policy:

1. Types of Testing.

a. Pre-Employment: Unless otherwise required by this Policy, a pre-employment

Test may be administered to:

(1) A rookie or veteran player desirous of signing a contract

with an NFL club who:

(2010)

(a) was not under contract to his last NFL club on the date of its last game of the immediately preceding season; and

(b) has not had a Test in the four month period prior to his pre-employment Test (excluding a test given at the annual combine for college players).

All players in an Intervention Stage will be required to provide a specimen when determined by the Medical Advisor. For players in Intervention Stage One, the Medical Director will determine the frequencies of Tests for each player; for players in Intervention Stages Two and Three, the Medical

(2010) Advisor will determine the frequencies of Tests subject to the minimums and maximums for each Stage.

So, If caught at combine or in another pre-employment test, they are in intervention Phase I when they sign a contract, and subject to the above, and more.

The whole weed thing doesn't bother me. It's a harmless drug that gets put under as much scrutiny as actual harmful drugs. That's a whole different debate in itself, but even with that I still wouldn't take him.

The athleticism is there, but he's still too raw of a player for me to gamble on in the first round. On top of that he's a little light for his height. Mathis can weigh 240'ish and get by with it because he has great leverage and bend to get under and around the OT. I don't see that kind of bend and leverage out of Gregory to be able to dominate at that weight. I think he will be over-powered and easily diverted by NFL OT's. If he were another 10-15lbs heavier, I could see it, but not at 245.

I don't believe Gregory can come in and make an impact any more than Newsome did, and we know where he went in the draft.

Lol weed doesnt bother you. He wont pass the drug tests and will get suspended...

Hes not going to fall to 29. I guarantee you the falcons or saints will pick him up by then. The falcons are in desperate need of pressure on the qb, their defense is just....i cant even name one player on their defense!