Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Day Trade

Just wanted everyone's thoughts on if we trade up in the draft to get someone specifically;

1: Where do we trade up to?

2: What do we give up?

3: Who are we trading up to get?

Personally i think if the draft goes the way we don't want, we are more likely to trade down to acquire more picks both this year and next preferably rather than reach for someone or settle for the best available player. There isn't really any players i think we need to absolutely trade up for a get as i think most of our needs will be well accounted for later in the draft.

Just wanted everyone's thoughts on if we trade up in the draft to get someone specifically;

Personally i think if the draft goes the way we don't want, we are more likely to trade down to acquire more picks both this year and next preferably rather than reach for someone or settle for the best available player. There isn't really any players i think we need to absolutely trade up for a get as i think most of our needs will be well accounted for later in the draft.

Personally I would trade with with SD at 17 of Cleveland at 18. I would give up our 1st and and 3rd/4th. I would hope with this pick to grab Landon Collins. I chose SD or Cleveland as we would jump Philly, Cincy and Pittsburgh who all apparently need a safety.

Personally I would trade with with SD at 17 of Cleveland at 18. I would give up our 1st and and 3rd/4th. I would hope with this pick to grab Landon Collins. I chose SD or Cleveland as we would jump Philly, Cincy and Pittsburgh who all apparently need a safety.

Even now after the pick up of Lowery??

It could go either way, but I don't see us improving the first round pick.

If anything, I could see us trading out of the first for a very early second

and more (where we could probably still get Davis from Iowa)

The tempting move is to pick up an additional spot in the second to get some of the value there.

But........ We will probably stand where we are

I am seeing more mocks that have Goldman falling to us, which at 29, would be a great pickup

It could go either way, but I don't see us improving the first round pick.

If anything, I could see us trading out of the first for a very early second

and more (where we could probably still get Davis from Iowa)

The tempting move is to pick up an additional spot in the second to get some of the value there.

But........ We will probably stand where we are

I am seeing more mocks that have Goldman falling to us, which at 29, would be a great pickup

I agree about trading down, i would like to get at least a 2nd and 1 or 2 3rd's out of our 1st rounder if possible 

Even now after the pick up of Lowery??

Yes even after the pick up of Lowery, as if Lowery doesn't do well, atleast we have another potential starter on the roster and even if Lowery comes in and is solid, Adams is 34 so Collins could learn from and eventually replace Adams. 

Yes even after the pick up of Lowery, as if Lowery doesn't do well, atleast we have another potential starter on the roster and even if Lowery comes in and is solid, Adams is 34 so Collins could learn from and eventually replace Adams. 

Same coould be said for Tartt, Geathers, Rowe. If we do use our 1st round pick i would like it to be on someone who will start day 1 at a position of immediate need...DL OL

I agree about trading down, i would like to get at least a 2nd and 1 or 2 3rd's out of our 1st rounder if possible 

You'll get the 2nd, but two 3rd's isn't going to happen. I haven't looked at the number chart, but I would guess we would get a 2, 4, and 5 to move back 5-10 spots.

Lets make one thing perfectly clear.

Taking Collins at 29 or trading up would be huge mistake

Collins is an ITB safety who average against pass. Hes gonna be average in NFL.

Couldn't agree more. In a system like ours we need our safeties to be covering more that run stopping. we need his opposite, a great coverage guy who is average against the run, of course if we could get a guy who's great at both later in the draft i'm all for it 

I wouldn't trade up for anyone. I think there's a great chance that a great player falls to 29.

More than likely, a player ranked around 20 will fall to us. It's just what player will fall to us, will he fit our scheme, and will Grigson choose him. I'm hoping it's a D-Lineman or OT at this point. That would be perfect. I think the other player not at those positions that could fall to us is Landon Collins, then it gets interesting. If I had my way though, I'd trade down and pick up a 2nd and 3rd. If we had 4 day 2 picks, I trust Grigson to hit on 3 of them. Those seem to be his bread and butter where he does his due diligence and hits.

Trade up to 8 to get Shelton giving up, well, most all of our picks.

More than likely, a player ranked around 20 will fall to us. It's just what player will fall to us, will he fit our scheme, and will Grigson choose him. I'm hoping it's a D-Lineman or OT at this point. That would be perfect. I think the other player not at those positions that could fall to us is Landon Collins, then it gets interesting. If I had my way though, I'd trade down and pick up a 2nd and 3rd. If we had 4 day 2 picks, I trust Grigson to hit on 3 of them. Those seem to be his bread and butter where he does his due diligence and hits.

One mans 20 is another mans 35.

1/3 of the 1st rounders will be so called busts, year in and year out.

Alright...I'll play along.

The only player I'd consider trying to move up for is Danny Shelton, but I wouldn't offer a "Julio Jones-type" ransom to move us into the Top 10.

But if Cleveland SOMEHOW lets him slide by at #12 AND #19, I'd call Philly at #20 and offer them this year's 2nd round pick and next year's 1st and 3rd round picks.

Chances are they'd want THIS year's 1st rounder from us....but I wouldn't be willing to do that.

Shelton dropping past Cleveland at #12 AND #19 is farfetched enough....but if the Browns were stupid enough to draft Johnny Barcrawl, then nothing would surprise me.

If this highly unlikely scenario were to materialize, I'd grab Shelton with the Eagles pick and, if he's still there, Erik Kendricks with our own at #29.

Bama players really scare me. the last few years many have gone in the 1st, several bust. Collins is a hitter, but as pointed out Barron was as well, he's a bust. There's a launder list of system players that bust.

Having said that, we stay and watch a need fall right to us, just watch..

I would not mind parting with our 2nd round pick if it meant drafting Danny Shelton or Brandon Scherff. I am not sure either will drop to a team where that trade is possible. 

I could see parting with our 3rd round pick to draft La'el Collins, Landon Collins, or Malcom Brown

If we stay pat, my hope is that we are able to take either Marcus Peters or TJ Clemmings

Otherwise, I hope we trade back and are able to take Shaq Thompson, Cameron Erving, or Phillip Dorsett

The only player I'd consider trying to move up for is Danny Shelton, but I wouldn't offer a "Julio Jones-type" ransom to move us into the Top 10.

But if Cleveland SOMEHOW lets him slide by at #12 AND #19, I'd call Philly at #20 and offer them this year's 2nd round pick and next year's 1st and 3rd round picks.

Chances are they'd want THIS year's 1st rounder from us....but I wouldn't be willing to do that.

Shelton dropping past Cleveland at #12 AND #19 is farfetched enough....but if the Browns were stupid enough to draft Johnny Barcrawl, then nothing would surprise me.

If this highly unlikely scenario were to materialize, I'd grab Shelton with the Eagles pick and, if he's still there, Erik Kendricks with our own at #29.

No way would I give that much up, even for Shelton. A great player will be available at 29, and Grigs does pretty well at hitting in the middle rounds.

As much as I would die of happiness getting both Shelton and Kendricks, that would be too much. Plus I doubt Philly would make a trade back without including a first rounder this year.

As much as I would die of happiness getting both Shelton and Kendricks, that would be too much. Plus I doubt Philly would make a trade back without including a first rounder this year.

I agree....but we'd have to overpay next year to preserve our #29 pick this year AND get Shelton. Him and Kendricks would at least represent a genuine effort toward Irsay's (and everyone's) stop the run campaign.

Realistically...I don't even think he gets past the Browns #12 spot let alone #19....and a trade-up to #11 to scoop him would be way too expensive.

But he's the only player I'd pursue and I admit it would take a "kook factor", even by Browns standards, for it to ever happen. :)

I believe there is no one worth trading up for in this draft if we have to give up a kings ransom. I believe that if we stay put at our pick there will still be some high talent available when we pick. With our pick we should still have to opportunity to pick players like Kevin Johnson, T.J. Clemmings, Carl Davis, and Jordan Phillips. All of those picks would be solid in our system, and we wouldn't have to trade away any of our picks. Heck we could possibly trade back into the early second, and still have an oppurtunity at one of the above listed players while picking up another pick later on.

i would think we would have to give up quite a bit of our future for this to happen and would be disappointed if Griggs went and traded some of our top draft pick in the future for it...wouldn't be surprised though, if they really think that this is the year and both Shelton and Kendricks are positive additions to go get that super bowl this year then i think we give up the farm...but his job will be non existent if there isn't a super bowl a the end

I would not mind parting with our 2nd round pick if it meant drafting Danny Shelton or Brandon Scherff. I am not sure either will drop to a team where that trade is possible. 

I could see parting with our 3rd round pick to draft La'el Collins, Landon Collins, or Malcom Brown

If we stay pat, my hope is that we are able to take either Marcus Peters or TJ Clemmings

Otherwise, I hope we trade back and are able to take Shaq Thompson, Cameron Erving, or Phillip Dorsett

I believe there is no one worth trading up for in this draft if we have to give up a kings ransom. I believe that if we stay put at our pick there will still be some high talent available when we pick. With our pick we should still have to opportunity to pick players like Kevin Johnson, T.J. Clemmings, Carl Davis, and Jordan Phillips. All of those picks would be solid in our system, and we wouldn't have to trade away any of our picks. Heck we could possibly trade back into the early second, and still have an oppurtunity at one of the above listed players while picking up another pick later on.

i think the only players we should trade up to get would be if a few that shouldn't be there after the 10th pick drop and fall to the early 20's...but then we would get into a bidding war with other teams who i'm sure would jump at the chance aswell

Guys-

Really don't want to trade up, but if we did, using our 2nd rounder, we could get up all the way to #18(640+292=922). #18 is worth 900 pts. Lately I have been seeing Shelton falling on some draft boards. The reason is, he does not rush the passer well. Great run stopper, which is why we want him, but the knock on him is he will play only a 2 down player. Same reason Perryman has slipped so far, because his coverage is not good, and is not the fastest player. So there is the possibility of him dropping to #19, and I have seen him mocked there. It is hard to spend a top ten pick on someone who does will not be on the field all 3 plays. For that reason, I really don't want to think about trading up, especially losing our 2nd for a 2 down player. As far as I am concerned, if one of the top CB's is there, and the only one I think will be there possibly is Peters and Jones, I would consider one of them, or Kendricks. Taking one of the CB's makes a little more sense to me since I believe we could get Dawson with our 2nd, and the tape tells the truth how good he is. He would be a steal at our pick in the 2nd. I would rather have Kendricks, but either way would be great. Also, one other player I would entertain with our 1st rounder is Cameron Erving. Everything I read about the guy is positive. He can play multiple positions, so if Holmes or Harrison is not the long term solution, he can go to center. If one does work out, he goes to RT in time and takes over for Cherilus. The reason I like him so much is the interchangability, but one thing everyone says about him, he has a "nasty" streak when he is on the field. I think it is one of the intangibles our line needs in a big way, and can rub off on the whole team.

I wouldn't trade up for anyone. I think there's a great chance that a great player falls to 29.

I am with you keep our picks and add talent that is how you build. The guy I am becoming more and more interested in is Marcus Peters.

Sa. me coould be said for Tartt, Geathers, Rowe. If we do use our 1st round pick i would like it to be on someone who will start day 1 at a position of immediate need...DL OL

I think you are going to have a hard time finding a player who is going to start day 1. We have a pretty solid team.  If everyone is healthy I am not sure a rookie starts for us. . I don't see a day one starter at S.

My guess the O Line is Castonzo Mewhort Holmes Herremans Cherilus 

We could get a rotational guy on the D Line that could end up starting by the end of the year

I'd only trade up if something crazy happens. If Leonard Williams, Vic Beasley, or Brandon Scherff is still on the board around the 20th pick area, I would definitely consider trying to move up and get them. Otherwise, I'd probably be pretty hesitant to do so, unless it was only by 1 or 2 slots for if there's one guy left on our board before a huge drop off in ratings.