Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL plans Internet-only national broadcast of game

shakedownstreet

Fans not in the teams' home markets will have to tune to an as-yet-unchosen Internet company to catch this season's game between the Jags and Bills.

The NFL is planning to give the ball to the Internet next season.

The National Football League intends to sell the national digital distribution rights of a regular season game this year to an Internet company, an NFL representative confirmed Monday. The move represents the first time that pro football fans will have to look somewhere other than TV to watch a game broadcast.

http://www.cnet.com/news/nfl-plans-internet-only-national-broadcast-of-game/

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is just the beginning. Sooner or later the NFL will be on a pay per game or a pay for season system. It might be a long way away but it is going to happen IMO. We already have the NFL pass and that will expand eventually. If a company comes up with enough money to make it work, it will happen.

Bad idea IMO. I like watching my games on my TV and that's how it should stay, but unless that's a Thursday or Monday game I wont be watching anyway. And even if I did I'd just get my HDMI cord and still watch it on my TV. Hopefully this is just a one time thing though anyway.

I think this is just the beginning. Sooner or later the NFL will be on a pay per game or a pay for season system. It might be a long way away but it is going to happen IMO. We already have the NFL pass and that will expand eventually. If a company comes up with enough money to make it work, it will happen.

I hope your wrong. That would be awful IMO. I like my Sunday Ticket and everything else just the way it is.

I already pay per game essentially. I have Sunday ticket and I only use it to watch Colts games. I'll occasionally flip over to another game during commercials or if the game is out of hand.

I hope your wrong. That would be awful IMO. I like my Sunday Ticket and everything else just the way it is.

I hope I am wrong too. I think sooner or later there will be a pay sports channel for every major sporting event. Like you say, the Sunday ticket. The money hounds will get their way eventually. Seems like the always do.

A disturbing new trend.

How is it disturbing? It's necessary and welcome.TV is dying a slow death and internet streaming is a video distribution method that's rapidly expanding. If the NFL wants to continue to be a viable product, it needs to get on board with streaming sooner rather than later. I only wish they would have gone with a better test case, Jags and Bills aren't going to bring in % for ratings.

Meh no big deal, After they do it they will realize how stupid of an idea it is not to air it on BOTH TV and internet, This internet only thing wont stick and the NFL wont risk the billions it gets a year from tv deals.

Most of us outside of North America watch our team on Game Pass. It costs around $150 for all regular season games. It is a great product.

The game will not be made available to subscribers of DirecTV's Sunday Ticket programming package, which broadcasts all out-of-market games nationally.

maybe they've had enough of direct TV? Trying the internet on for size

Yep, they are testing the waters.  None of us outside the Bills/Jags market will see that game unless we watch it over the internet

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-to-broadcast-a-game-nationally-via-internet-only-1427134766

Mr. Berke said selling one game from London was a methodical approach toward building a relationship with an over-the-top distributor that would eventually want to purchase a slate of games. “This league has been very adept at finding the new players in the industry and getting them involved,” he said.

Yep, they are testing the waters.  None of us outside the Bills/Jags market will see that game unless we watch it over the internet

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-to-broadcast-a-game-nationally-via-internet-only-1427134766

And most likely few people outside those markets will WANT to watch that game, truthfully I imagine few people within those markets want to watch that game.  It's no big surprise they choose that game for this test.

Personal computers and the internet are horrible methods for watching video. Its a regressive product......its advanced technology that provides inferior service compared to the technology it replaced.

I hope the game is an experiment that goes away fast.

Personal computers and the internet are horrible methods for watching video. Its a regressive product......its advanced technology that provides inferior service compared to the technology it replaced.

I hope the game is an experiment that goes away fast.

If they would just add wi fi to tvs it would be better.  But yes, in terms of channel surfing, right now it's not great

Can't really use a remote either.  

I use it for free stuff.  I don't buy anything so, if NFL has aspirations of charging for that, I'm out

How is it disturbing? It's necessary and welcome.TV is dying a slow death and internet streaming is a video distribution method that's rapidly expanding. If the NFL wants to continue to be a viable product, it needs to get on board with streaming sooner rather than later. I only wish they would have gone with a better test case, Jags and Bills aren't going to bring in % for ratings.

Wait until they secure a contract and begin streaming on a subscription only provider.

They already allowed Disney to insult the institution of Monday Might Football by switching to paid TV after decades of being a bastion of the working man's Monday night on free TV, you think they won't do the same again? 

if the nfl becomes pay to watch, it will lose it's status as everyone's game. A LOT of households turn on the game just because it's on. some slowly become diehard fans, some don't

your casual fan is not going to pay to watch

Do you think this has anything to do with the FCC abandoning it's support of the Blackout Rule in 2014, recently "supported" by NFL clubs and repealed? The timing is.....coincidental, is it not? 

Their intent is not to make ALL games pay to watch, but they certainly intend to make some of them, eventually marque games, p2w. 

Hopefully they add this option for all games. 

I see no point in owning cable TV outside of watching sports, and I've noticed a growing trend in recent years of people that also keep it only for sports. This is great news if they continue this development. The only use I find for the screen is playing video games on. I can get the rest of my entertainment and necessities with the internet or with a stack of books. 

Their intent is not to make ALL games pay to watch, but they certainly intend to make some of them, eventually marque games, p2w. 

Technically you already pay to watch when you own cable. So if that was their intent, they already won a long time ago. 

Technically you already pay to watch when you own cable. So if that was their intent, they already won a long time ago. 

Years ago, no games were on cable. Now many are. Then they created the NFLN, which is part of a paid package for many providers. Then they moved many games to the NFLN. 

Now they are eyeballing exclusive stream providers. At first it will be a free provider such as Youtube. Then........

You see where I'm going with this, right? 

Do you think this has anything to do with the FCC abandoning it's support of the Blackout Rule in 2014, recently "supported" by NFL clubs and repealed? The timing is.....coincidental, is it not? 

I had forgotten about that.  I think so yes

Smart move and very savvy on the NFL's part. Would love if NFL eventually moved off TV. Why should I have to pay the price of cable, and NFL Network, for teams I don't even want to watch. I also have to pay for cable and get a bunch of crap stations I never watch. I barely get the Colts in my area, despite living in Indiana, and I pay for worthless games and the redzone to potentially get a peek.

If it was available for streaming I could guarantee myself to watch the Colts. Not have to pay for cable. And have the ability to watch football on all of my devices. Including my TV.

TV is already dead. It just doesn't know it yet.

Also I hope they don't stream through YouTube. YouTube is awful for live streams. Hopefully they partner with Twitch or someone comparable.

Years ago, no games were on cable. Now many are. Then they created the NFLN, which is part of a paid package for many providers. Then they moved many games to the NFLN. 

Now they are eyeballing exclusive stream providers. At first it will be a free provider such as Youtube. Then........

You see where I'm going with this, right? 

The only games on NFLN are the Thursday night games. 

FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN show everything else.

Technically, all regular season games are on cable, and years ago they were too. The NFL is not about to throw all those contracts out the window. 

Sports will always be on television no matter what. It's the one thing keeping television alive these days, reality TV and sitcoms certainly are not since they mostly only last a few years in seasons. This is mostly because the internet through Youtube has made much of television obsolete. It's no longer the "thing to do" that it used to be in the 90's. Contracts through television networks and sporting leagues are through the roof and they have only been growing larger and larger every year. The most viewership comes from sporting events, and these are often the highest rated programs on television all year.

You have nothing to worry about. You'll always have your football on cable TV. 

Smart move and very savvy on the NFL's part. Would love if NFL eventually moved off TV. Why should I have to pay the price of cable, and NFL Network, for teams I don't even want to watch. I also have to pay for cable and get a bunch of crap stations I never watch. I barely get the Colts in my area, despite living in Indiana, and I pay for worthless games and the redzone to potentially get a peek.

If it was available for streaming I could guarantee myself to watch the Colts. Not have to pay for cable. And have the ability to watch football on all of my devices. Including my TV.

TV is already dead. It just doesn't know it yet.

Also I hope they don't stream through YouTube. YouTube is awful for live streams. Hopefully they partner with Twitch or someone comparable.

Totally agree with you on Cable being worthless. I cut mine a few weeks ago and my bill dropped down. The internet has replaced it mostly, just as it has run the newspaper industry into the ground.

Today's generation is smarter in terms of entertainment. Where in the 90's and 80's, watching television was the "thing to do" at home even when it was nothing but garbage on it, that no longer is the case. As there are many ways to entertain ourselves and find great hobbies that are time consuming that don't require us to sit in front of the big box and watch commercials every 3 minutes. 

I doubt the NFL will be off TV since viewership statistics are very high. But if it was, that would be great for me personally since football is the only reason I keep cable, apart from catching preachers on in the wee hours of the morning to find amusingly funny. 

Sports is the one thing that is keeping television clinging to life. It's the one they have always fell back on for a safety net (and just the reason today TV is all about SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS). 

Internet TV is getting better but certainly not cheaper.

So, the motivation to move to the internet won't be there for most (of us), at least not in 2015

New service in 2015 http://www.wsj.com/articles/playstation-vue-review-a-real-rival-to-cable-tvfor-a-price-1427224160

Hulu, Netflix, Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV.

All do the majority of the functions cable does, but drastically cheaper. I don't doubt in the future the big ISP's will figure out how to make Internet more expensive, but right now Cable is by far.

Hulu, Netflix, Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV.

All do the majority of the functions cable does, but drastically cheaper. I don't doubt in the future the big ISP's will figure out how to make Internet more expensive, but right now Cable is by far.

For me, cable is still cheaper for what I want to watch.  I eliminated their DVR and dialed it back to standard cable.

But they get you with bundling, which is code for 'we're gonna jack your price up if you only get internet.

Internet alone (I have my own router) $75

Internet + cable = $98

So, essentially cable is costing me $23/month......but only because the pricing is predatory

With that though I can access about anything on demand via the web, including new episodes of Walking Dead & Bates Motel and interestingly enough, the on demand stuff appears to be in HD, unlike the cable broadcast (since I don't pay for HD anymore)

And we also have access to History, ESPN and other channels we watch. For now it's working but the more they push me over $100/month for cable + internet, the more I start looking for options. Also with cable, my husband can still channel surf, which you really cannot do with the internet

I hate cable.  I hate it.  Do I watch it?  Yes.  But, I hate it because of the awful bundling practices and price gouging.  But, I think doing internet only games will hurt ratings.  Radio and TV have changed at a breakneck speed and internet streaming, apps, etc are growing by leaps and bounds and will continue.  But, there are still some fans that haven't made the switch to streaming.  Here's one thing we all can count on...change.  And, the NFL and every other company in the world will transition their product to whatever media session will bring in the most revenue.

For me, cable is still cheaper for what I want to watch. I eliminated their DVR and dialed it back to standard cable.

But they get you with bundling, which is code for 'we're gonna jack your price up if you only get internet.

Internet alone (I have my own router) $75

Internet + cable = $98

So, essentially cable is costing me $23/month......but only because the pricing is predatory

With that though I can access about anything on demand via the web, including new episodes of Walking Dead & Bates Motel and interestingly enough, the on demand stuff appears to be in HD, unlike the cable broadcast (since I don't pay for HD anymore)

And we also have access to History, ESPN and other channels we watch. For now it's working but the more they push me over $100/month for cable + internet, the more I start looking for options. Also with cable, my husband can still channel surf, which you really cannot do with the internet

Those sound suspiciously like comcast prices. When new ISPs hit the scene prices will get more competitive. Hopefully.

Those sound suspiciously like comcast prices. When new ISPs hit the scene prices will get more competitive. Hopefully.

I have brighthouse so, they are marginally more tolerable than comcast. 

I agree, lack of competition for internet providers is the hub of this issue.

In the US, we have the worst and most expensive internet in the world.  Home of capitalism with no competition for internet.  What the heck?

I have brighthouse so, they are marginally more tolerable than comcast.

I agree, lack of competition for internet providers is the hub of this issue.

In the US, we have the worst and most expensive internet in the world. Home of capitalism with no competition for internet. What the heck?

Where I live its comcast or nothing when it comes to Internet. They have the best infrastructure. Thus comcast I am forced to use......

This move would be great for people overseas, military personnel and anyone else that is otherwise indisposed to easily viewing games and/or following their favorite teams.

What alarms me is the trend of exclusivity, and this stream IS exclusively being broadcast via an online stream provider. If it was a simulcast execution, I would applaud the NFL, as I would see it as a way for them to allow their product to reach a greater audience with far more ease. 

But that is not the case. It is exclusive to the yet unnamed streamer, which reeks of intent to secure additional revenue over standard network broadcasting, and this gives the consumer little reason to feel as if it is their best interest the NFL is supporting with such a move.