Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Mewhort - 2016 Right Tackle?

In my very humble opinion.....

You will see Jack Mewhort line up at right tackle in 2016

He was a left tackle in College, and was projected to RT in the pros when he came out

His body style, seems to lean itself toward the tackle position as well (6'6", 310)

Our current RT is too expensive to cut in this offseason. But not too painful after the 2015 season

IF...... The Colts get a developmental Guard (rounds 4-7) vs a tackle in the upcoming draft, this will cement this future position for me

To me, this move makes sense, as a solid tackle is harder to draft than a guard

Thoughts?

I don't think it's that hard to draft a solid tackle. And I think Mewhort will be better at guard than at RT, so I'd hope that we leave him at LG where he can be really, really good. 

I actually think playing Guard is harder....Though I never played it so...., you have to be able pull, you have to get up to the 2nd level, you have to deal with stunts and twists much more, you have to be able to blow big 300+ pounders off the ball time and time again

I actually think playing Guard is harder....Though I never played it so...., you have to be able pull, you have to get up to the 2nd level, you have to deal with stunts and twists much more, you have to be able to blow big 300+ pounders off the ball time and time again

thats probably a good argument. would you rather deal with 300 pound athletic fatties or fast and/or powerful edge rushers

I think he may go there sooner than we think.  I'm not sure what Cherilus' injury was and I'm not sure how Donald Thomas fits into the scheme of things this year if he is healthy.  If Cherilus is not and Thomas is, Mewhort may move to RT.   Just an opinion and not an expert one at that.   

Mewhort is strong, but I don't see him moving the big NTs and tackles out of the way....

He can clearly maintain a block..... But gets little push

In a power running game..... The guards must be able to push the pile

As mentioned before, moving a DE or OLB is much easier than a DT / NT fatty

He has enough footwork for the right side.....

. I think we are set for this year

But...... If they go guard in mid to later rounds of draft ..... I think you will see the shift in 2016

The athletic profile for a good tackle is more rare than the profile for a good guard. Not only do you have to be big and strong, with a great wingspan, you have to have good balance, good hands, good range, quick feet, etc. How many guys are 6'6", 310 pounds, and can kick-slide like a good LT can? Power is easier to find from big guys than the finesse and technical abilities that good tackles have. That's why LTs make more money.

It's harder to play RB than to play WR, IMO. But the value discrepancy is obvious.

Mewhort looked really good at LG last year, especially considering he was a rookie. He'll be an absolute stud there next season. He will, and should stay there IMO baring an injury to Cherilus. With Mewhort and Castanzo, the left side is fine. We just gotta improve on the right side. 

Mewhort looked really good at LG last year, especially considering he was a rookie. He'll be an absolute stud there next season. He will, and should stay there IMO baring an injury to Cherilus. With Mewhort and Castanzo, the left side is fine. We just gotta improve on the right side. 

Even if Cherilus can't play (and I think Cherilus should be gone, anyways), Herremans and Reitz are probably ahead of Mewhort in the RT rotation. Like you, I think he should stay at LG.

If Cherilus is healthy/not in pain he'll be fine at RT IMO. Don't forget he was really good two years ago. In pass protection anyways. So if he's alright physically we'll be fine. In fact if he's his old self our line will be pretty good.

In my very humble opinion.....

You will see Jack Mewhort line up at right tackle in 2016

He was a left tackle in College, and was projected to RT in the pros when he came out

His body style, seems to lean itself toward the tackle position as well (6'6", 310)

Our current RT is too expensive to cut in this offseason. But not too painful after the 2015 season

IF...... The Colts get a developmental Guard (rounds 4-7) vs a tackle in the upcoming draft, this will cement this future position for me

Thoughts?

No, as a Buckeye guy, he was able to hold down the left side well enough because of the competition he faced in college. On top of that, Ohio State had a ton of freshmen OL that weren't ready to play, so he pretty much had to play OT that year. He really doesn't have the footwork/agility to be a consistent OT in the NFL. He was drafted as a guard for a reason.

No, as a Buckeye guy, he was able to hold down the left side well enough because of the competition he faced in college. On top of that, Ohio State had a ton of freshmen OL that weren't ready to play, so he pretty much had to play OT that year. He really doesn't have the footwork/agility to be a consistent OT in the NFL. He was drafted as a guard for a reason.

Hello fellow Buckeye fan!

(I was raised just north of Columbus)

I was able to watch THE OSU, pound the Ducks here in Texas..... Next year..... 2 in a row!

If you look at the draft "gurus" ( ESPN, NFL.com, many others ) he was projected not as a guard, but right tackle, so I hate to disagree

With a fellow buckeye fan..... :)

The BIg Ten had some decent pass rushers, he held his own at LT, But....... RT is a more natural spot for him IMHO

Watch the guy...... He maintains his blocks...He pass blocks well.... But CANT seem to push the DTs or NTs back on running plays.

If we can't get any push on this line, we will never, ever, have a balanced offense

Mewhort is strong, but I don't see him moving the big NTs and tackles out of the way....

He can clearly maintain a block..... But gets little push

In a power running game..... The guards must be able to push the pile

As mentioned before, moving a DE or OLB is much easier than a DT / NT fatty

He has enough footwork for the right side.....

. I think we are set for this year

But...... If they go guard in mid to later rounds of draft ..... I think you will see the shift in 2016

Mewhort was a rookie....give him a lil time

Hello fellow Buckeye fan!

(I was raised just north of Columbus)

I was able to watch THE OSU, pound the Ducks here in Texas..... Next year..... 2 in a row!

If you look at the draft "gurus" ( ESPN, NFL.com, many others ) he was projected not as a guard, but right tackle, so I hate to disagree

With a fellow buckeye fan..... :)

The BIg Ten had some decent pass rushers, he held his own at LT, But....... RT is a more natural spot for him IMHO

Watch the guy...... He maintains his blocks...He pass blocks well.... But CANT seem to push the DTs or NTs back on running plays.

If we can't get any push on this line, we will never, ever, have a balanced offense

The Big Ten and the NFL are obviously two different animals. The best pass rusher he faced all year was Beasely in the bowl game against Clemson, and while he did ok, Vic gave him issues pretty much all game. He just doesn't have the natural lateral agility to be a consistently good OT in the NFL, in my opinion. When Gosder went down and they decided to move Reitz there and keep Jack at LG, when we've seen Reitz play exceptionally well at LG, tells me they prefer to keep Jack right where he's at and let him continue to develop there.

A quick question.........

Does Mewhort push the pile?

Watch the tape.... its a "maintain" block

This answers the question more than anything

In most cases, a 309lb Guard can be successful in a zone blocking scheme..... BUT

we dont run a zone blocking scheme.

I think he is "good" at left guard....... I think he can really shine as a RT

Guards are easier to find than tackles.......

• 1 month later...

Interesting comments from Jim from  SBNation on Saturday

"along these lines, the comments of owner Jim Irsay on Saturday are particularly interesting.  "We're trying to figure out right tackle,'' Irsay said, per FOX59's Mike Chappell. "We could make an adjustment internally on who's playing where as we go into training camp."  Is he referring to Jack Mewhort, who could slide outside to right tackle while someone else fills in at left guard?  That's certainly possible, and in fact it might be the most likely option. "

With them NOT drafting a RT for at least depth...... it makes you wonder

Interesting comments from Jim from  SBNation on Saturday

"along these lines, the comments of owner Jim Irsay on Saturday are particularly interesting.  "We're trying to figure out right tackle,'' Irsay said, per FOX59's Mike Chappell. "We could make an adjustment internally on who's playing where as we go into training camp."  Is he referring to Jack Mewhort, who could slide outside to right tackle while someone else fills in at left guard?  That's certainly possible, and in fact it might be the most likely option. "

With them NOT drafting a RT for at least depth...... it makes you wonder

Could he be talking about Mewhort?    Sure.

But most here don't seem to think he is.     Most think he's talking about either Herreman's or Retiz or John.

Most here seem to think Mewhort is going to stay home at LG.

Could he be talking about Mewhort?    Sure.

But most here don't seem to think he is.     Most think he's talking about either Herreman's or Retiz or John.

Most here seem to think Mewhort is going to stay home at LG.

Mewhort may stay in that role..... (LG)

Its just interesting with the timing

and them not going RT in the draft

Mewhort may stay in that role..... (LG)

Its just interesting with the timing

and them not going RT in the draft

That's why I think they're confident that with all they have on the roster,  they feel like they're OK if Cherilus can't go and has to be cut....

We're way too thin at tackle, if there's one thing that undoes this team in 2015 it will be our offensive line. Think of the regular season games against New England and Dallas, our RBs had 4 yards and 1 yard in those games respectively. We didn't really do enough to improve the running game IMO.

We're way too thin at tackle, if there's one thing that undoes this team in 2015 it will be our offensive line. Think of the regular season games against New England and Dallas, our RBs had 4 yards and 1 yard in those games respectively. We didn't really do enough to improve the running game IMO.

We got rid of Trent Richardson. That's enough, IMO. Adding Gore, plus settling the right side of the line, ought to help. 

We got rid of Trent Richardson. That's enough, IMO. Adding Gore, plus settling the right side of the line, ought to help. 

I agree Gore is a pretty big upgrade over Richardson and Herremans sets RG so we should see some improvement. RT is my biggest worry on the roster though, with the whole Cherlius situation. 

I agree Gore is a pretty big upgrade over Richardson and Herremans sets RG so we should see some improvement. RT is my biggest worry on the roster though, with the whole Cherlius situation. 

I agree. No depth at LT either, although Reitz can play there if necessary.

I agree. No depth at LT either, although Reitz can play there if necessary.

If you think about it......

IMHO, Reitz BARELY covered the easier RT spot when called upon

We are in trouble, major trouble if we lost our LT or QB

I don't see anyone that can play LT (at least well) on this roster if we have an injury.......

If you think about it......

IMHO, Reitz BARELY covered the easier RT spot when called upon

We are in trouble, major trouble if we lost our LT or QB

I don't see anyone that can play LT (at least well) on this roster if we have an injury.......

That's why I said "if necessary." It wouldn't be ideal, but he'd probably be the first choice.