Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Could Never Happen to the Colts! Right?

Smonroe

2013 Atlanta Falcons - a team built to make a run at the SB.  They get an older RB who's always been productive.  They trade up to get the premier WR in the draft, to match up with an already great receiving core, including a soon to be HoF TE.

They have a very good young QB, a solid O line and a very good defense.  And they're coming off of a 13 -3 season.

Then the wheels came off as they were riddled with injuries.  They win 4 games.

I'm not trying to throw cold water on our dreams, I love the way this team is being built.  I just wanted to say - let's not buy our SB tickets yet.  Anything can happen.

While players may be similar on paper. This is NOT the same case in the least bit.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/cliffoxford/2014/12/12/these-3-self-inflicting-wounds-make-atlanta-falcons-a-fast-growth-failure/

Excerpt from piece: "After the Falcons got so close to the throne in that 2012 NFC championship game, players have said and Falcons Coach Smith admitted on the HBO series Hard Knocks they accepted less demands and a lot more excuses in missing daily routines and activities than they did when he was a rookie head coach demanding everything be perfect at practice. He let up as the wins came and the Falcons rose in stature."

You think Pagano/Grigson are going to let that happen with the Colts?

While players may be similar on paper. This is NOT the same case in the least bit.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/cliffoxford/2014/12/12/these-3-self-inflicting-wounds-make-atlanta-falcons-a-fast-growth-failure/

Excerpt from piece: "After the Falcons got so close to the throne in that 2012 NFC championship game, players have said and Falcons Coach Smith admitted on the HBO series Hard Knocks they accepted less demands and a lot more excuses in missing daily routines and activities than they did when he was a rookie head coach demanding everything be perfect at practice. He let up as the wins came and the Falcons rose in stature."

You think Pagano/Grigson are going to let that happen with the Colts?

I never liked Smith as a coach and after watching Hard Knocks last year you could just about tell they were destined for failure. 

Nice article.  I like the ending quote:  "To keep growing and winning without shooting yourself in the foot is a matter of how well you handle success. In fact, being hard on failure can be easy. Being hard on success takes an extraordinary leader and fast growth success stats show there are not many around."

2013 Atlanta Falcons - a team built to make a run at the SB.  They get an older RB who's always been productive.  They trade up to get the premier WR in the draft, to match up with an already great receiving core, including a soon to be HoF TE.

They have a very good young QB, a solid O line and a very good defense.  And they're coming off of a 13 -3 season.

I'm not trying to throw cold water on our dreams, I love the way this team is being built.  I just wanted to say - let's not buy our SB tickets yet.  Anything can happen.

Your right the SB is hard to obtain ,however for the wheels totally coming off ? I seriously doubt that it seems they have a way of plugging gaps here even when the talent level or depth is not overwhelming. To me Atlanta was a little over rated and just a few key injuries derailed the offense big-time. Give me 3/4 of the season then we talk SB! :thmup:

Of course it could happen....and we know there is no guarantees in the NFL....but there is always HOPE...well unless your Cleveland...I say let them have their happiness.....just realize that its much much more satisfying in Februrary than in March...if you catch my drift. Life is too short to not be happy...I'm happy with what we are doing and excited for our future....but I full well know what can happen in an NFL season...and nothing is guaranteed. I just think we should have an exciting 2015 campaign and hopefully some good games to watch early in 2016.

Your right the SB is hard to obtain ,however for the wheels totally coming off ? I seriously doubt that it seems they have a way of plugging gaps here even when the talent level or depth is not overwhelming. To me Atlanta was a little over rated and just a few key injuries derailed the offense big-time. Give me 3/4 of the season then we talk SB! :thmup:

I don't want to talk SB until after we win the AFC Championship game. 

That was my point with this thread.  A lot of people seem to think that the moves we've made are getting us into the big game. 

A lot can happen in 16 games, it's a marathon.  I agree with you, we were hit really hard with injuries two years ago and still won a playoff game.  We're well coached and our depth talent isn't too far off from our starters in a lot of positions (take that as you may).

That was my point with this thread.  A lot of people seem to think that the moves we've made are getting us into the big game. 

A lot can happen in 16 games, it's a marathon.  I agree with you, we were hit really hard with injuries two years ago and still won a playoff game.  We're well coached and our depth talent isn't too far off from our starters in a lot of positions (take that as you may).

Lol been around to long to be punching SB tickets , I agree whole heartedly with point in case you were making. If we have cap room left there is more to do , if not we need to use this draft very wisely. I do enjoy watching this all unfold as I know you do as well.

Injuries and health typically play a HUGE roll in getting to the SB...watching Denver tells us that if Andrew was to get hurt a lot could get thrown out the window....and key injuries like NE had a couple years ago to Gronk and Talib does as well. Just look at the SB and losing your nickle corner and starting pass rush end did to them in that game...suddenly things get a whole lot easier for the opposing qb....who just picks them apart with short throws. I don't talk about going to the SB.....I think we are contenders....and thats all that we can ask for...but a long season to get there.

Oh damn....

I think Houston is putting together a pretty good squad too....9-7 last year and improved play at qb going in this year I think you guys can give us all we want and more. I'm assuming some help at wr in the draft...you guys have a dangerous defense adn O'brein I think will have a plan for that offense. I'm not assuming we even win our division....and some tough competition from within I think only strengthens teams for the playoffs...

Atlanta failed because they were soft up front, on both sides of the ball. Not because they traded up for Julio Jones or added Steven Jackson. Certainly not because they had a good QB. Also, their coaching showed itself to be an issue.

I've said many times that my greatest fear is looking up in 2016/2017 and realizing that we've become the Atlanta Falcons. But listening to everything the staff has said since the season ended, I'm confident that they'll do whatever it takes to get better up front, on both sides of the ball. 

I think Houston is putting together a pretty good squad too....9-7 last year and improved play at qb going in this year I think you guys can give us all we want and more. I'm assuming some help at wr in the draft...you guys have a dangerous defense adn O'brein I think will have a plan for that offense. I'm not assuming we even win our division....and some tough competition from within I think only strengthens teams for the playoffs...

Thanks, I'm glad you see a worthy opponent in us. I think the Jaguars look to be improved too with the addition of Thomas and probably the top defensive player in the Draft this year. I loved it when the AFC South was super competitive back in the day, hoping that day comes again. For the Texans, though, it will come down to how stellar QB play can be for sure.

Thanks, I'm glad you see a worthy opponent in us. I think the Jaguars look to be improved too with the addition of Thomas and probably the top defensive player in the Draft this year. I loved it when the AFC South was super competitive back in the day, hoping that day comes again. For the Texans, though, it will come down to how stellar QB play can be for sure.

I think the Texans don't have to have STELLER qb play but smart qb play....and also can Foster stay healthy again this year and repeat...big if....but I look for that defense to be much more dangerous.

I don't have a clue what Tennessee is doing...but Jacksonville keeps adding pieces and if their qb develops then they could make a jump to 500. I expect they will give us a good game but I think we sweep them....depending on how things go I would expect Indy and Hou to possibly split...unless AJ goes off on a mission down there. If you add Wilfork and Clowney is healthy...I think your front is as dangerous as any in the league.

Super competitive back in the day? You mean back when the Colts won the division 5 years in a row?

I think the Texans don't have to have STELLER qb play but smart qb play....and also can Foster stay healthy again this year and repeat...big if....but I look for that defense to be much more dangerous.

I don't have a clue what Tennessee is doing...but Jacksonville keeps adding pieces and if their qb develops then they could make a jump to 500. I expect they will give us a good game but I think we sweep them....depending on how things go I would expect Indy and Hou to possibly split...unless AJ goes off on a mission down there. If you add Wilfork and Clowney is healthy...I think your front is as dangerous as any in the league.

I never actually thought about Wilfork but if it's for the right price, then why not...and I have faith in Arian having another great year..And yeah Tennessee seems to be spiraling out of control and probably have no hope of going anywhere but yeah, Jacksonville's success will depend on how Bortles develops for sure.

Super competitive back in the day? You mean back when the Colts won the division 5 years in a row?

No, I mean when Matt Schaub got the Texans their first winning record and nearly snuck into the playoffs if not for the incompetent Bengals, or when Vince Young managed to make the playoffs as a rookie, or when Jacksonville was going to the playoffs...those days.

Yeah, I've got to agree with you guys.  Not sure where the Titans are going but both the Texans and Jags are making strides.  The AFC  South isn't going to be a cakewalk, and that's a good thing IMHO. 

Competition makes you stronger, complacency makes you soft.

It wasn't that long ago when the Titans and Jags owned the division

Stop with these negative threads, be a real colts fan and be positive. How could the team possibly get worse with new and improved additions. If you want a horrible richardson as the feature back go ahead or if you want Reggie who declined go ahead and petition to go tp previous years. Are you not wanting them to improve because it is too risky? Just stop.

Yeah, I've got to agree with you guys.  Not sure where the Titans are going but both the Texans and Jags are making strides.  The AFC  South isn't going to be a cakewalk, and that's a good thing IMHO. 

Competition makes you stronger, complacency makes you soft.

It wasn't that long ago when the Titans and Jags owned the division

I'm right with you until you said owned....lets be honest...we've owned this division and I'm not trying to be a braggert or whatever...but there was certainly strong competition for many years...but Peyton pretty much assured us a division title each year...even if we only split games with most the teams.

I'm right with you until you said owned....lets be honest...we've owned this division and I'm not trying to be a braggert or whatever...but there was certainly strong competition for many years...but Peyton pretty much assured us a division title each year...even if we only split games with most the teams.

Yeah not sure how he could say they've owned the division when A. The Jags have never won the division. B. The Colts have won it 9 out of 13 years its been in existence.

No, you're correct.  I was having a brain spasm.  I was thinking back in the late 90s when the Jags and Titans battled it out for the division title - but it was the Central Division at the time.

Obviously, back then the Colts were in the East and the Texans didn't exist.

That will teach me to post something while I'm doing three other things!

:thmdown:

Stop with these negative threads, be a real colts fan and be positive. How could the team possibly get worse with new and improved additions. If you want a horrible richardson as the feature back go ahead or if you want Reggie who declined go ahead and petition to go tp previous years. Are you not wanting them to improve because it is too risky? Just stop.

If you think this is a negative thread then you obviously have a comprehension problem. Maybe spend a minute and read it again?

Where in the H are you getting any of that stuff you wrote? Wow, you really went off on things that no one ever mentioned. Funny stuff.

No, I mean when Matt Schaub got the Texans their first winning record and nearly snuck into the playoffs if not for the incompetent Bengals, or when Vince Young managed to make the playoffs as a rookie, or when Jacksonville was going to the playoffs...those days.

We had one of the toughest divisions in football. Always tough games.