Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All FA Concerns/Gripes/Complaints (Mega Merge)

Dark Superman

The people in the Indianapolis fan base who discredit Ryan Grigson as a poor GM need to do a lot of professional football homework before receiving an "A" in NFL IQ. Do your research ... and you'll find that GMs that post over 10 wins and playoff appearances in their first several years isn't an accident. It's called, "doing a great job!" ... not to mention a Championship game as well.

⭐️ The Logic Police

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people in the Indianapolis fan base who discredit Ryan Grigson as a poor GM need to do a lot of professional football homework before receiving an "A" in NFL IQ. Do your research ... and you'll find that GMs that post over 10 wins and playoff appearances in their first several years isn't an accident. It's called, "doing a great job!" ... not to mention a Championship game as well.

⭐️ The Logic Police

It usually means they were fortunate to land a quality QB. That's not a shot at Grigson, just NFL reality.

It usually means they were fortunate to land a quality QB. That's not a shot at Grigson, just NFL reality.

"fortunate to land a quality QB." Sure. Looks like the Colts picked the "correct" QB! They could've chose RG3. Didn't do it. And "that" is NFL reality. ;) I agree that they were fortunate to have the ability to choose, though. One more win and they might have created a dilemma. Hindsight is always 20/20.

"fortunate to land a quality QB." Sure. Looks like the Colts picked the "correct" QB! They could've chose RG3. Didn't do it. And "that" is NFL reality. ;) I agree that they were fortunate to have the ability to choose, though. One more win and they might have created a dilemma. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Not that I was a fan back in '98 but from my history homework the 2012 draft is eerie in its simularity:

Better athlete with more upside vs pro ready QB

Griffin somewhat arrogant towards the Colts in the pre-draft build up. Like Leaf supposedly was to ensure they didn't pick him

Early on Griffin was ranked over Luck (as was Leaf over Manning?)

The start of the fall for Griffin... Injuries, rumours of issues with teammates and the Washingtion beat media, admitally he hasn't matched "that interview" that Leaf gave.

Question is, which team will take a gamble on Griffin when he invariably parts ways with Washington? Dallas? :P

Not that I was a fan back in '98 but from my history homework the 2012 draft is eerie in its simularity:

Griffin somewhat arrogant towards the Colts in the pre-draft build up. Like Leaf supposedly was to ensure they didn't pick him

The start of the fall for Griffin... Injuries, rumours of issues with teammates and the Washingtion beat media, admitally he hasn't matched "that interview" that Leaf gave.

Question is, which team will take a gamble on Griffin when he invariably parts ways with Washington? Dallas? :P

That is a GREAT question. Dunno. I guess it would be like rolling a pair of dice and hoping it comes up 7s.;)

So how does that reality work with Matt Cassel filling in for Brady and they don't miss a beat? If its the QB, then the Pats front office and GM just got lucky?

It's not hindsight. Very few people preferred RG3.

And having a quality QB available when you draft #1 is most of the battle.

So how does that reality work with Matt Cassel filling in for Brady and they don't miss a beat? If its the QB, then the Pats front office and GM just got lucky?

So you call going from 18-1 and a lucky catch away from football immortality to 11-5 and missing the playoffs "not missing a beat"? Ok....

And yes, BB was very lucky to get Brady in the 6th round. If not, he probably would have been fired long ago.

I'm not knocking Grigson but it was a well known fact that Irsay had decided to cut ties with Manning and draft Luck before Grigson was hired. There was absolutely no talk of any QB evaluation when Grigson was hired. 

Somebody compared this to 1998 and it's a little ironic I think as each GM were not huge factors. If you ask Irsay and Mora , I bet they might tell you that in spite of Polian taking credit for drafting Manning , he was the only one that may have wanted Leaf.  

I'm not knocking Grigson but it was a well known fact that Irsay had decided to cut ties with Manning and draft Luck before Grigson was hired. There was absolutely no talk of any QB evaluation when Grigson was hired. 

Somebody compared this to 1998 and it's a little ironic I think as each GM were not huge factors. If you ask Irsay and Mora , I bet they might tell you that in spite of Polian taking credit for drafting Manning , he was the only one that may have wanted Leaf.

Polian has said it became apparent early in the process that drafting Manning was a no brainer. In reality, the Colts had easy decisions to make in both cases.

So you call going from 18-1 and a lucky catch away from football immortality to 11-5 and missing the playoffs "not missing a beat"? Ok....

And yes, BB was very lucky to get Brady in the 6th round. If not, he probably would have been fired long ago.

That wasn't the comparison I was making. You were inferring that Grigs success was riding on the fortune of drafting Luck. I was comparing that if it was the QB that makes the GM...such as Brady....then why didn't they tank the way we did when Manning went down? (yes I know he was drafted in the 6th, but he was paid top dollar again and they still built a team around him)

I am inferring that it is more than the QB...it is the quality of the GM that needs to be recognized. The Pats had a quality team that they could plug in a QB. Perhaps this GM is doing the same thing. It's worth considering.

That wasn't the comparison I was making. You were inferring that Grigs success was riding on the fortune of drafting Luck. I was comparing that if it was the QB that makes the GM...such as Brady....then why didn't they tank the way we did when Manning went down? (yes I know he was drafted in the 6th, but he was paid top dollar again and they still built a team around him)

I am inferring that it is more than the QB...it is the quality of the GM that needs to be recognized. The Pats had a quality team that they could plug in a QB. Perhaps this GM is doing the same thing. It's worth considering.

They didn't tank, but they were far worse. If you look at BB's career, there is a clear line that separates before Brady and after Brady.

If we had only signed Fairley and Knighton instead of Langford it would be a pretty awesome free agency.

Fairley can't stay healthy and word is Knighton is fat and out of shape. Langford is very good. Just cause you or others don't know much about him doesn't change the fact. Plus he hasn't missed a game in years.

Fairley can't stay healthy and word is Knighton is fat and out of shape. Langford is very good. Just cause you or others don't know much about him doesn't change the fact. Plus he hasn't missed a game in years.

Yeah they keep saying that about Knighton but he's always produced. He's always been pretty big too. And I know Langford's a good DT, but I think Fairley could have been a much better option.

It's not hindsight. Very few people preferred RG3.

And having a quality QB available when you draft #1 is most of the battle.

"It's not hindsight. Very few people preferred RG3." Uh, read the sentence before ... I said "one more win and they might have created a dilemma." Emphasis on - "one more win"! (Hindsight) Not selecting RG3.

"having a quality QB available when you draft #1 is most of the battle." Really? I didn't know that.

⭐️ The Logic Police

E

Sure, I see what you're saying. However, the knocks that GMs get all over the league sometimes are justifiable and sometimes they're not. The Manning/Leaf pick was out of the blue for just about everyone. The entire civilized sports world thought that Leaf would go #1 to the Colts. Didn't happen like you imply (and thank GOD for that). My point is that too many fans do not realize what the Colts' GMs have done for this organization over the last 18 years or so. Best record in the NFL for wins in an entire decade. Playoff appearances just about every single year. You know how hard that is to do? Off the charts. Sometimes I just feel like some fans are spoiled. If you look at the entire league, some cities would KILL to have just a couple post season games. That's all I'm saying. Nothing is perfect.

Rave mode off. ;)

"It's not hindsight. Very few people preferred RG3." Uh, read the sentence before ... I said "one more win and they might have created a dilemma." Emphasis on - "one more win"! (Hindsight) Not selecting RG3.

"having a quality QB available when you draft #1 is most of the battle." Really? I didn't know that.

⭐️ The Logic Police

Uh, I read it in its entirety.....and you said the colts could have selected RG3. And that's true, but only if they were extremely stupid.

Yeah they keep saying that about Knighton but he's always produced. He's always been pretty big too. And I know Langford's a good DT, but I think Fairley could have been a much better option.

Langford is not a good DT. He is a good DE in a 3-4. Fairly is a DT and would have to replace A Jones in our system, who playes DT for us. Adding a undependable headcase sounds like a terrible idea. JMO of course.

Uh, if you want the last word ... you got it! Goodgoogliemooglie!

⭐️ The Logic Police

You shouldnt try so hard to avoid the subject. First, you try to cherry pick your own words and now you're just being silly. Bravo!

Uh, if you want the last word ... you got it! Goodgoogliemooglie!

⭐️ The Logic Police

You shouldnt try so hard to avoid the subject. First, you try to cherry pick your own words and now you're just being silly. Bravo!

The Manning/Leaf pick was out of the blue for just about everyone. The entire civilized sports world thought that Leaf would go #1 to the Colts.

You are kidding, right?      I remember it very well.   Lived in Indy at the time.   Leaf wasn't really ever ahead of Manning for the Colts.  

And what were the Pats' record the following year when Brady came back from his injury?

You are kidding, right?      I remember it very well.   Lived in Indy at the time.   Leaf wasn't really ever ahead of Manning for the Colts.

Really? That's not what Peyton said ... (in the meeting with Irsay and Polian before the pick) quote from Manning : "Here's the deal, if you don't pick me, I'm gonna kick your butt (and he says ... he didn't say "butt") for the next 15 years. The premise in Indianapolis may have been to pick Manning. However, the rest of the country according to ESPN, Sports Mags, et.al was the consensus that Leaf would go to the Colts. I remember watching the draft on television and a great gasp was heard by all when Indy took Manning.

⭐️ The Logic Police

i lived in indy at the time too I remember it being pretty evenly split. I know I had a feeling they would and should take Manning but I also remember it being up in the air.

Really? That's not what Peyton said ... (in the meeting with Irsay and Polian before the pick) quote from Manning : "Here's the deal, if you don't pick me, I'm gonna kick your butt (and he says ... he didn't say "butt") for the next 15 years. The premise in Indianapolis may have been to pick Manning. However, the rest of the country according to ESPN, Sports Mags, et.al was the consensus that Leaf would go to the Colts. I remember watching the draft on television and a great gasp was heard by all when Indy took Manning.

⭐️ The Logic Police

that quote doesn't say anything about what the Colts were going to do. In fact Philip B. Wilson wrote about that quote in his book and said it came from Manning when the Colts brought him back for one last physical before the draft and according to Mora (the guy who told the story to phil) the Colts had already decided they were taking Manning and didn't want it to leak so they weren't telling anyone including Manning who spent the whole time he was together with Polian and Mora trying to get it out of them and finally said that quote out of frustration because he couldn't get it out of them. Mora went on to say the quote impressed them because it showed a fire they were looking for in him.

There was a major feeling of not knowing what the Colts were going to do with the top pick and while people had to predict most were not confident in their picks and openly said they wouldn't be shocked if it went the other way.

"Early on Griffin was ranked over Luck"        What the.... ?!?!?

When was this?     Because he won the Heisman?

What were you reading/hearing that said Griffin was ranked over Luck?!?

This is a complete mystery to me....?

"Early on Griffin was ranked over Luck"        What the.... ?!?!?

When was this?     Because he won the Heisman?

to several people he was. I don't think he ever was to the Colts but several people, and not just posters in a forum on fans, said RG3 was the pick. I remember Tony Dungy saying he would have taken RG3 over Luck because of the unique talent RG3 had and he was hardly the only one.

I think what's lost here is that there isn't some official ranking of where players were ranked going into the draft. It was a matter of personal opinion and several people perfered RG3 over Luck. With that said I think most knew long before the draft that Luck was who the Colts were taking even if they personally felt RG3 was better.

to several people he was. I don't think he ever was to the Colts but several people, and not just posters in a forum on fans, said RG3 was the pick. I remember Tony Dungy saying he would have taken RG3 over Luck because of the unique talent RG3 had and he was hardly the only one.

I think what's lost here is that there isn't some official ranking of where players were ranked going into the draft. It was a matter of personal opinion and several people perfered RG3 over Luck. With that said I think most knew long before the draft that Luck was who the Colts were taking even if they personally felt RG3 was better.

I know "several people" preferred RG3 to Luck....  but Steel City's post made it sound like in the early going the majority favored Griffin to Luck.

And that simply wasn't the case....

"Early on Griffin was ranked over Luck" What the.... ?!?!?

When was this? Because he won the Heisman?

Sorry I should have been clearer, I meant early on in their NFL careers, a lot of people did put Griffin ahead of Luck after that first season.

Besides several doesn't necessarily mean the majority :)

Sorry I should have been clearer, I meant early on in their NFL careers, a lot of people did put Griffin ahead of Luck after that first season.

Besides several doesn't necessarily mean the majority :)

Thank you!    If you're talking post 2012 season, then yes,  there were a number of people (not just Skip Bayless) who preferred RG3 to Andrew....    you are correct.

Now that I understand your meaning....    well.....     that's very different -- never mind!!     :thmup:

The saying is that defense wins championships yet it seems like the Colts have been more about offense for years. The Texans have a great defense on paper right now with the signing of Wilfork and the return Of Clowney and of course Watt. They are going to be tough to beat this year in my opinion. Wish we would have done something more about the NT position with some veteran signing.

The players he signed are too old, all are over the hill. I think he should have signed Knighton and Maclin.

they arnt over the hill.  AJ had more than 900 yards with three different Qbs throwing, and none of them were better than average.  cole had more than 50 tackles, 6.5 sacks and three fumbles forced, those numbers were better than any colts pass rusher last year.  gore had 1100 yards rushing

It was even until they actually talked to both of them lol. I doubt being fat and stupid impressed Bill Polian.