Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Both Lines as they stand

IrishColt22

I'm alright with the offensive line (although improvements could be made, especially for depth).

The defensive line is pretty terrible. We need a big, dominant NT.

D line usnt terrible!!! they aren't great either. Avg is more likely until we can find a solid NT. Which as far as the draft is concerned... the only one that looks to be dominant right out the gate is Shelton who we have a very very slim chance of getting. Brown and Philips all have great potential but are still raw and have to grow into that potential.

Our defensive line sucks right now. There's no way to butter it up. We've basically done nothing to fix a horrid D-Line. I mean, there isn't much difference in Langford or RJF. So basically, we had a bad line, let one of our best lineman go (Redding) and have done nothing to improve it. I know FA just started, but we best start getting aggressive in going after Knighton/Wilfork/Fairley if we want a good, or even a better D-Line next year. We need to sign one of those 3, then draft a D-Lineman in the 1st (Phillips, Goldman, Armstead, etc). I thought we should have called the Ravens and done whatever it took to get Ngata, but I guess not. Signing Knighton would drastically improve our line. Its actually pretty simple. Sign one of those guys and have a good D-Line. Or don't sign one and have a bad D-Line. 

Knighton/Wilfork/Fairley are not worth the money and any good..All are past their prime and want too much $$$

I don't think it's an ultimate need really. i think with the addition of Langford it will certainly help our DL

He's more of a DE, right? I agree, he'll help. I think our primary need is a safety. But a solid run stopping DT would help.

Donald Thomas is gone, but yeah, our O-line probably is set. We will draft heavily on defense.

I would be careful before you say Donald Thomas is gone....  actually he is still here.  YOu can't say he is gone until he is relaesed for sure....  unless this is Grigson posting.

He's more of a DE, right? I agree, he'll help. I think our primary need is a safety. But a solid run stopping DT would help.

You have two space eaters iin Langford and Jones that both require double teams more often than not. with those guys at DT and DE we wouldn't necessarily need a Wilfork. i think Big Chap could flourish alongside Langford and Art Jones. See the difference last season Cory Redding you only need one guy to block him. Jones almost always got Double teamed because he is that disruptive as well as Big Chap. idk in my opinion i think we will be all set on the DL. But i certainly do agree with you Safety is a HUGE concern we need to address. 

Idk why but i really think they go RT in the first round. 

I absolutely hope we go OT in the first round.  Even if Cherilus is healthy, we need his eventual replacement.  Plus, it would be great to have a RT who could run block.  With our current O-line, we will have to throw every down again.  It has no chance of opening holes.  Gore is never going to have a chance.  Cherilus can't run block, Holmes isn't exactly stout, and Mewhort is a left guard who can't pull.  Our top backup guard, Lewis, can't run block either.  As for OT depth, we have none.  I really liked John, so I' hoping he is the real deal.

On D, I'd love an athletic Nose, but Chapman would be OK.  We need safties and ILB who can get off blocks.

I don't want to be all negative.  I love all the guys we picked up, and the contracts are really good.  Cole could be huge for us, and I've followed Langford since he was drafted.  I just hope we get two OL who can run block in the first four rounds, or else signing Gore would be a waste.

I think we have improved, but we still have a weakness on the right side of the O-line and we need to improve our ability to stop the run.

If Gosder is 100% healthy this season then I would feel a little more comfortable with our O-line, but I hope we can find a future RT in the draft.

I believe we do not have a dominate DL. I like a lot of our defensive line players, but I would be very interested to see if a guy like Fairley would work as a DE or DT in our system. Better yet, why not go for a proven player in the 3-4 like a Randy Starks? I think we have a few more moves to make.  

I think both sides of the line are just missing a few pieces. We have to find a way to stop New England from running all over us, and we also have to find a way to run the ball against the better NFL defenses. I don't think we are quite there yet, but the offseason is still early. We probably have a few more signings to make and we also have the draft.

One last note, I hope Ulrick's injury wasn't the start of another often injured Colts offensive lineman, because I saw something special in him, and I believe the coaches did too.

Fairley is poison and Starks is washed up. We got a lot of bad play against the run from Redding and Walden, one is gone and the other is now a backup.

Our ILB`ers played a lot of bad run D.

And we must get better run support from our Safeties.

M Hughes and Z Kerr have ability. There playing time will increase and what they are by seasons end/playoff time is what matters.

Our defensive line sucks right now. There's no way to butter it up. We've basically done nothing to fix a horrid D-Line. I mean, there isn't much difference in Langford or RJF. So basically, we had a bad line, let one of our best lineman go (Redding) and have done nothing to improve it. I know FA just started, but we best start getting aggressive in going after Knighton/Wilfork/Fairley if we want a good, or even a better D-Line next year. We need to sign one of those 3, then draft a D-Lineman in the 1st (Phillips, Goldman, Armstead, etc). I thought we should have called the Ravens and done whatever it took to get Ngata, but I guess not. Signing Knighton would drastically improve our line. Its actually pretty simple. Sign one of those guys and have a good D-Line. Or don't sign one and have a bad D-Line. 

the problem with ngata is that he was too expensive at his current price, AND we would have had to trade draft picks for him.  had he been released instead of traded we would have been all in

I'm alright with the offensive line (although improvements could be made, especially for depth).

The defensive line is pretty terrible. We need a big, dominant NT.

Weren`t we one of the best in the League on 1st down with Chapman at the nose? Why i believe we were. He and Hughes should be just fine.

If the concerns about the dline solely involve getting a fatty run stuffer, one dimensional run stuffers are not really that hard to find.....and they shouldn't be expensive.

If the rushing defense is the concern, based upon one team manhandling the dlinemen, then I don't know if getting one particular player over another is going to really solve the problem.  Bellichick will just scheme against whatever other weakness there is.

As far as oline, I think that all positions are fairly settled with the exception of RT.  That could be handled with the guys on the roster now, some shuffling even, but I would be more comfortable with a more secure answer.   I still say that the answer may lie in securing a can't miss G and have Cherilous, Reitz, and Mewhort handle RT.  That may not be the ideal way to address it, but if you've got that G, that improves the entire line play too.   But I think we're done with the oline in free agency.

You're right. I just am VERY positive that he will be gone.

You may well be right, especially if he's still not recovered.  However, if he's still on the roster by camp (and by some miracle he can stay on the field), he has to be better than Thornton.

But, as you said, he's probably going to be released.  No one wants to pay a backup G what he's getting.

Langford > Redding > RJF

I truly don't understand why people struggle to see this so much. Langford in a 3-4 scheme is better than both Redding and RJF. He came here because he himself knows he is better in a 3-4 and likes it better, and he said as much in his interview right here on Colts.com, he wasn't at his best in St. Louis because he was in a scheme that really doesn't fit him as well as a 3-4. 

Redding was a beast on D-Line last year.  He was the only one that was a bright spot the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs.  I'm not sure that Langford is going to outplay Redding.  But he should outplay RJF.  Would have been nice to have Redding back to plug the middle, but currently we have a gaping hole right up the middle.  Tell me if you have ever heard that about the Colts Defense before?

Weren`t we one of the best in the League on 1st down with Chapman at the nose? Why i believe we were. He and Hughes should be just fine.

I agree a healthy Art Jones and people are underestimating Langford. I also want to see Quarles after a yr on the PS.

Grigs will bring in a S maybe a different Landry who played pretty well for the Jets last yr and tackles

Redding was a beast on D-Line last year.  He was the only one that was a bright spot the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs.  I'm not sure that Langford is going to outplay Redding.  But he should outplay RJF.  Would have been nice to have Redding back to plug the middle, but currently we have a gaping hole right up the middle.  Tell me if you have ever heard that about the Colts Defense before?

Redding really wasn't that good last year imo. I wouldn't call him a beast at all. 

We did. Who did we sign to help the offensive line. nobody some second string back up. On the defensive line who did we sign. Again another second string back up. The only starters we did sign was an old rb which we don't need and an old wr who is not the same.

We did. Who did we sign to help the offensive line. nobody some second string back up. On the defensive line who did we sign. Again another second string back up. The only starters we did sign was an old rb which we don't need and an old wr who is not the same.

So who would you want I mean the super star who would make a difference. Suh was all about the money does not care about being a team player. I see the pick ups as a piece of the puzzle still a lot of work to do but everyone has to set back and see the whole picture after the draft then speak their minds. IMO the pickups we have right now are short term and still have enough in the tanks plus the leadership is important on a young team. Yes we need a lot of things but lets stay calm until the FA and or draft is over to create mayhem