Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Release Multiple Players

B-B

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a hard hitting Safety is overrated in todays NFL, Need two cover safeties

I agree. Said that when they started fining players for hitting defenseless receivers over the middle. What good does it do to have a bone crushing play that may dislodge a ball when it ends up mostly with a personal foul. Rather have 4 corners playing instead of an enforcer to invoke fear in people coming over the middle. Not in today's game. Landry plays a spot that peaked 3 years or so ago. It's watered down ball.

I agree. Said that when they started fining players for hitting defenseless receivers over the middle. What good does it do to have a bone crushing play that may dislodge a ball when it ends up mostly with a personal foul. Rather have 4 corners playing instead of an enforcer to invoke fear in people coming over the middle. Not in today's game. Landry plays a spot that peaked 3 years or so ago. It's watered down ball.

Or find players that know how to tackle.

Just cut outright, no June 1st designation. Hmmm?? Must be choosing to use the cap space we have no to save for future years of the big contracts that are to come

In Landry's case, it's not a big difference if they post-June 1 him or not. I was under the impression that they'd have to wait to release him if they want to use the post-June 1 designation, but I'm not really sure about that. So we'll probably wait and see what they do.

Mixed feelings on this one, love seeing Landry go but I don't think it was fair to release Andrew Jackson. He didn't do much his rookie year, but he could of been useful. Seemed like he took responsibility for his actions. Nixon I'm fine with. Looks like we are drafting a safety in this year's draft or getting McCourty, so I couldn't be happier about Landry getting cut.

Not to be disagreable but I'm going to disagree lol. I agree about your premise of hitting over the middle etc but having a safety that can come down and play big in the run game is a huge plus. Guys like Chancellor and Ward that can in essence play as a smaller lb are still very important. That said a cover safety is a huge importance. IMO Landry's lack of tackling and suspension etc has made him expendable. Much easier to find a safety that can tackle and support in the run game than a cover safety. I don't love our safeties but I thought Adams and the others played suprisingly well considering we thought it was going to be our big weakness this year. I didn't like the Landry signing to begin with and I wish he would have played up to the potential Grigson saw in him but I'm not shocked he is gone.