Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When will Colts start cutting players?

Dark Superman

I don't expect any till preseason begins, I think many will be surprised with who is still here till then

Ummm....  Gavin...

I think SupermanLuck12 is asking about cutting players like Cherilous or Landry.    Guys who have contracts now but who may get cut before the FA signing period begins in early/mid March.

Ummm.... Gavin...

I think SupermanLuck12 is asking about cutting players like Cherilous or Landry. Guys who have contracts now but who may get cut before the FA signing period begins in early/mid March.

That doesn't mean that Landry and Cherilus are definitely going. In fact, I think they both stay.

That doesn't mean that Landry and Cherilus are definitely going. In fact, I think they both stay.

I didn't say they are going.    I said they might be going...

But there is speculation which is why I think the OP asked his question now.

He certainly wasn't asking with an answer like Gavin's in mind (Pre-season)

Ummm....  Gavin...

I think SupermanLuck12 is asking about cutting players like Cherilous or Landry.    Guys who have contracts now but who may get cut before the FA signing period begins in early/mid March.

I included them in my comment, I think they stick around for another year, especially Cherilus...Possible exception would be Landry

I didn't say they are going. I said they might be going...

But there is speculation which is why I think the OP asked his question now.

He certainly wasn't asking with an answer like Gavin's in mind (Pre-season)

I'm sure Gavin read the question right and just believes no one will be cut which could happen.

I'm sure Gavin read the question right and just believes no one will be cut which could happen.

Thomas... Richardson...Phillips . If he believes all 3 of those guys will be around when training camp starts , he will be mistaken. Maybe Thomas stays on a reduced incentive laden contract ? Ehhh .. makes sense but usually these type deals end up with another team doing the new contract.

landry's cap penalty would be 3.5 million if hes cut.  we would still save 1.4 million over keeping him but with 3.5 in dead money and lack of depth at the postion i think he stays.

Designate him as a post-June 1 release, and you save $4m against the cap in 2015, and $6m against the cap in 2016.

IMO, that's both the way to do it, and the case for doing it.

I don't know why some people don't think certain players will be cut. Some didn't think Satele would even be cut last year. I'm telling you right now, Landry and Richardson will be cut!!! I said this last year, but I'll do it again. Grigs isn't stupid. He's made stupid moves, but he isn't stupid. Laron Landry is an absolute joke of a safety at this point in his career. He misses tackles and he cant cover. He will be cut. why would we keep him when we could use the money we'd save by cutting him to sign a much better player to a similar contract? So Landry will not be back. And we all know Richardson is the worst RB in the NFL, and we can get out of paying him next year so he's gone too. Thomas will be cut too, I forgot about him for a minute. 50-50 on Cherilus.

I don't believe teams can make any post-June 1 designations until the new league year starts, which will be March 10.

Last year, we made a couple of low level releases in mid February, but waited until right before the league year started to cut Satele.

Since Cherilus finished the season on IR, if we cut him does there need to be an injury settlement, or does it not count if he's cut in the new league year (as a June-1st cut)?

Thomas... Richardson...Phillips . If he believes all 3 of those guys will be around when training camp starts , he will be mistaken. Maybe Thomas stays on a reduced incentive laden contract ? Ehhh .. makes sense but usually these type deals end up with another team doing the new contract.

glad to know we have someone who can see into the future

Since Cherilus finished the season on IR, if we cut him does there need to be an injury settlement, or does it not count if he's cut in the new league year (as a June-1st cut)?

We can cut him after the season in which he was placed on IR with no injury settlement, from what I understand. That would likely mean that we can't cut him until after March 10 anyways.