Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Calling all old aged forum-go'ers: Was that the dumbest SB playcall ever in SB history?

ReMeDy

Forgive my ignorant 29-yr old age, but take me back to Superbowl I. Yes, 1967. You have the entire Superbowl history to draw from. Was that final Seahawks playcall the dumbest ever? If not, where does it rank for you, and can you think of one that comes close?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who turned 58 two days ago, I can say that while I have not seen every Super Bowl,  this call will easily go down as the worst in SB history.

And I'm not even sure there's a close second place.

WOW!!     What a brain cramp!?!

I'm sure the idea came from Bevil, the OC,  but Carroll could've said no...   and Wilson could've audibled out of it...

So, anyone of three people should have thought better and second guessed themselves before it was too late.

But no.     We'll be talking about this one for the rest of our lives......    (and even longer than that....)

No; apparently it was a bread-and-butter call for the Seahawks. The Patriots practiced for it.

I'm sure most teams practice for such plays. However, that play is not Seattle's bread and butter because they have been more of a ball running team in those situations, and Lynch lead the league in rushing touchdowns because of it. Good grief, man you are not even trying.

It wasn't a bad call, just a horrendous pass. Slants are very high completion usually.

It wasn't a bad call? 2nd down on the 1 with a timeout? And Lynch in the backfield? Lynch had already ran for over 100 yards? Slants are not as successful as running Lynch down the Patriots throats. Sorry, I can't fathom in the farthest reach of someone's imagination they could say That was not a bad call.

man, I dislike the Seahawks and their fans but I feel so bad for them right now. Imagine how we felt when porter intercepted manning and multiply that by infinity. That's how they feel right now.

Yeah...our SB loss seems so mild compare to this one. Seriously - Pete can lose his locker room with this loss.  How does one overcome this.

Absolutely not

The play before that, Lynch got halted.

Had they handed off to Lynch again, there is absolutely zero guarantee he gets in. 

I think they made the right choice cause that entire second half, Wilson was making great throws. Had he got that TD, he wins MVP. That was the only bad play he had all game long, if you don't count all the bad throws. 

It wasn't a bad call? 2nd down on the 1 with a timeout? And Lynch in the backfield? Lynch had already ran for over 100 yards? Slants are not as successful as running Lynch down the Patriots throats. Sorry, I can't fathom in the farthest reach of someone's imagination they could say That was not a bad call.

Also, the problem with slants is you're working the middle of the field. At the 1-yd line, that's some cramped real estate to work with, especially when the defense is already expecting a run and crowding the interior. If that ball happened to get knocked up in the air, it could have been up for grabs. It was a bad play call and the Seahawks were playing with fire. They got burned.

man, I dislike the Seahawks and their fans but I feel so bad for them right now. Imagine how we felt when porter intercepted manning and multiply that by infinity. That's how they feel right now.

Except the Colts got out played in that entire second half by the Saints. That pick 6 was going to happen sooner or later. Brees was on fire and could not be stopped. 

Seattle lost with 20 seconds to go, the Colts already had lost before the 2 minute warning. 

Absolutely not

Had they handed off to Lynch again, there is absolutely zero guarantee he gets in. 

I think they made the right choice cause that entire second half, Wilson was making great throws. Had he got that TD, he wins MVP. That was the only bad play he had all game long, if you don't count all the bad throws. 

He got halted....after a 4 yard gain

Dumbest play I ever saw. What is it with NFC West teams ? Like SF against Baltimore throwing when Kaepernick could have just ran it in. Lynch should have been given one chance , then if you throw a pick at 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, it's more understandable.

I could get upset with Flacco for not going for a first down at 2nd and 5, instead of going for it all and getting picked off , but we still would have had to score, and there was no guarantee of that. On top of that, not sure we could have won at Indy, or beaten Seattle with our secondary at the end of the year.

Had I been a Seattle fan , I would be sick not giving Lynch at least one chance. Lucky for the Patriots, and a horrible loss Seahawks fans will never forget.

I had no issue with the play call or the decision/throw by Wilson. Just a great play by Butler our rookie.

Of coarse you have no issue. The Seahawks just said they didn't want no second ring let's just give it to the Patriots. 2nd down on the one. With one timeout. Lynch and Wilson in the backfield? Lynch already over 100 yards? Sorry, bad play call made it possible for the Patriots to win. No hard feelings but lets not pretend the Seahawks didn't give that game away.

Only pats fans and pete thought that was ag ood play call. Everyone else was saying feed Marshawn. 1 yard and you pass the ball? Okay...live with it forever Pete.

I didn't like the Ravens call against the Patriots, and this one was ten thousand times worse. I think any objective observer would put it down as one of the worst calls in SB history. None of us know if NE may have stopped it, but they should have tried once. You still had two more chances after that. Another coach out-thinking himself.

Except the Colts got out played in that entire second half by the Saints. That pick 6 was going to happen sooner or later. Brees was on fire and could not be stopped. 

Seattle lost with 20 seconds to go, the Colts already had lost before the 2 minute warning. 

yeah.... I know that. But we we were down just 7 and had the ball near midfield late in the 4th.

Absolutely not

C"Mon Bogie. You know better. That was the worst call in super bowl history. 2nd and goal on the one? With a timeout. Lynch and Wilson who had already ran for 141 yards. I could understand if it was 3rd or 4th down but not second down.

Absolutely not

um... he didn't get halted, he gained 4 yards and almost made it in the endzone.

Of coarse you have no issue. The Seahawks just said they didn't want no second ring let's just give it to the Patriots. 2nd down on the one. With one timeout. Lynch and Wilson in the backfield? Lynch already over 100 yards? Sorry, bad play call made it possible for the Patriots to win. No hard feelings but lets not pretend the Seahawks didn't give that game away.

Pete explained after the game that the plan was to throw on second and then run on third and use the timeout if they needed to. Just a great play by the Pats DB who had struggled all night.

I didn't like the Ravens call against the Patriots, and this one was ten thousand times worse. I think any objective observer would put it down as one of the worst calls in SB history. None of us know if NE may have stopped it, but they should have tried once. You still had two more chances after that. Another coach out-thinking himself.

They coudl have run it at least twice...they still had a time out.  I suppose if any colts fans every question pagano or pep, we can just point to this play.  Neither of those guys have made a call that bad.  I thought losing an onside kick by the packers couldn't be topped..I think I might be wrong.

Pete explained after the game that the plan was to throw on second and then run on third and use the timeout if they needed to. Just a great play by the Pats DB who had struggled all night.

Pete's explanation is still stupid.  It was wrong, and it did everything to not put the ball in the hands of his  best player. It would have been like goign to Horace Grant for the final shot when you've got Michael Jordan.  9/10 times, you're better of with Jordan taking the shot.  Well, 9/10 times, you're better off asking Lynch to get 1 yard.

Jim Harbaugh and Carroll were two dummies on their last plays down the stretch. It doesn't take away from the Ravens or Patriots SB wins, but those calls can only be classified as dumb and dumberer.

I did not like the play because it was basically telegraphed. Lynch was not even on the field, and the Patriots knew they liked quick slants, and he jumped it. At least put Lynch to disquise it. Carroll said it was because they had goalline D in, so running would not work. Really, I have seen Lynch do things other RB's can't, run through people. You had two shots after it, run it down there throats and let the clock run out!

Jim Harbaugh and Carroll were two dummies on their last plays down the stretch. It doesn't take away from the Ravens or Patriots SB wins, but those calls can only be classified as dumb and dumberer.

Yeah probably not great calls by any means. Happy to get both as you have to take those when you get them. But I really thought Butler's play was money. He is a rookie.

I do think Pete will have to answer for that play the rest of his career. Wilson too.