Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots being investigated for Deflating footballs.....(Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

classic pats fan...

silly rules, the rule is silly, so why should I followeth...

classic...

If the rule is sillith, then why not make it an issue? Step up and say 'we want to be able to use a ball to whatever psi we want?"

Insteadeth, they sneaketh and that is weasely

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that the NFL was distraught.

I'm having a hard time imagining any of these people as distraught

just a funny word to use because to me it implies that they are so deeply upset that they cannot function.

not necessarily related to your post except that you used the word that's been seeming funny to me today

I was using it jokingly. Tom Brady is the furthest thing from distraught today, of that I am certain.

I think the players are fine and will use it as a rallying cry for next Sunday.

In terms of the fans, what can you do. Sadly, we are used to this. The allegations, the silly rules violations that apparently were not necessary to violate ... very interested in what the investigation finds and what the Pats say. Bill will interview tomorrow ...

The rallying cry thing is getting old. I can't imagine what Bill will say tomorrow. 11 balls deflated exactly 2 ILBS is proof of tampering. From there you have to say it's totally impossible that the ball boy or janitor would take it upon them selves to do this . Add to that if the Colts (whomever it was) noticed the deflation , Brady and or other skill position players would have to notice it. 

Bottom line is denial insults anyone that has an IQ of over 75.

How do you possibly think deflating a football for a better grip is the same as taping defensive signals??

It's worse. It's the difference between scuffing balls on the mound and stealing signals from the bullpen. Deflating balls is worse than taping signals from the sidelines. Worse.

So to you all cheating is the same? Please. Is stealing $10 from your mom the same as robbing a bank in your world too?

logical fallacy. The two do not compare. The laws and regulations applying to each are completely different. The league will punish within the confines of their prescribed standards of punishment.

Again, it isn't cheating at all. There is no advantage to it. By very definition of the word, there has to be an advantage for it to be cheating. We scored 17 points using under-inflated balls and 28 using properly inflated balls. If anything, the point differential would have been even higher if we used properly inflated balls the entire game.

It's breaking the rules for sure. Just as committing pass interference is breaking the rules. Let NE pay a small fine and that's it. Nothing drastic needs to be done.

You don't know, for a fact yet, what was done with balls when they were discovered as being under inflated.  

The rallying cry thing is getting old. I can't imagine what Bill will say tomorrow. 11 balls deflated exactly 2 ILBS is proof of tampering. From there you have to say it's totally impossible that the ball boy or janitor would take it upon them selves to do this . Add to that if the Colts (whomever it was) noticed the deflation , Brady and or other skill position players would have to notice it. 

Bottom line is denial insults anyone that has an IQ of over 75.

Bill will use anything. He used spygate brilliantly and he admitted to that as well.

They have to admit to this I think but it remains to be seen if the league can figure out who is culpable. That will be tough to find and ultimately the Pats will hand over who they want to be the fall guy ...

That is the text book fine. If it was as egregious as folks here seem to think it is wouldn't the stated punishment be much more??

It will be much more unless somehow NE can make a believable defense to this. I don't think they can and I'll guarantee you that the penalties will far exceed a 25K penalty if they can't.

huh?

You said I was right. I agreed (I know that wasn't your intent.) You are acting like it's some minor infraction, and you are skipping away gleefully supporting your crooked franchise. Which isn't surprising, since you have blindly supported them after spygate.

My question was if your boyfriend/girlfriend cheats on you is that okay? Sure trust and monogamy are important in a relationship, but what about all the good times you had before the person cheated? Is it okay to sweep that infraction under the rug because better times are ahead? A person of sound mind would punish the person and move on. What the Patriots did was a very BIG deal whether you will ever admit it or not. (You won't) It tarnishes the legitimacy of the game, and makes the Patriots whole season a big question mark. You will never convince me or anyone else that this is the first time they've done this.

How do you possibly think deflating a football for a better grip is the same as taping defensive signals??

Is this a serious question? Both are flagrant attempts to break the rules! Just as stealing signals gives the opposing defense a distinct advantage due to knowing what play the offense is going to run, deflating the ball makes it easier for a QB to make a throw, a runningback to grip a ball, and a receiver to be able to catch it better in wet weather and to be able to hold onto it, therefore increasing the chances of successful completions, runs, catches, etc. It's against the rules for a reason! And you know, this may actually be more serious, seeing how it's the SECOND time they have broken the rules to gain an advantage.

Also, you are one of the only Pats fans that seems to admit that the pats knowingly taped other teams defensive signals, therefore giving them a distinct advantage.....for that, I applaud you!!!!

Against the rules? Yes.

Cheating? Absolutely not. By very definition of the word.

cheat

verb \ˈchēt\

: to break a rule or law usually to gain an advantage at something

There was no advantage. Therefore it is not cheating.

You might also want to look at this.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/video/pereira-on-deflategate-this-is-cheating-and-nfl-will-deal-with-this-harshly-012115?vid=387173955690

Bill will use anything. He used spygate brilliantly and he admitted to that as well.

They have to admit to this I think but it remains to be seen if the league can figure out who is culpable. That will be tough to find and ultimately the Pats will hand over who they want to be the fall guy ...

Honestly, cause of my profession, a leader is responsible for everything his men do and fail to do, the good and the bad. Belicheck should take responsibility for this if he were a man of integrity.

Honestly, cause of my profession, a leader is responsible for everything his men do and fail to do, the good and the bad. Belicheck should take responsibility for this if he were a man of integrity.

Bill has no integrity. He's proven that for over a decade.

nfl owner's can banned hc of the pats from the sb . 

Doesn't that make you really proud of your Pats  :???: How can you defend your team from now on out knowing that they have gotten caught twice and god knows how many more times cheating has happened and they were not caught. Real stand up organization in my book. ;)

No, I believe in facts. Something this thread greatly lacks.

In addition to the link I posted earlier, which showed that several teams have done the same thing currently and in the past, here is Terry Bradshaw talking about it in his book:

Most fans don’t know it, but before the game we would doctor the footballs that would be used. Until the season of 2000 it was up to the home team to provide twenty-four game balls to the officials for each game. A brand-new NFL football straight from the factory is not easy to throw or catch. It’s rock hard and very slippery. So in the privacy of the locker room before the game, players would take the footballs and rub them and scrub them to remove the glaze, or deflate them, then pump them up with air real big to stretch the leather. On some teams the kickers would put them through a cycle in the dryer. Some teams did this, but naturally not the Steelers, because we were righteous folk who would never stretch the rules, and when these other teams—not the Steelers—were finished, they would put them back in the plastic wrapping and right back in the box. Some teams—who were not the Steelers—after the officials had checked and approved the game balls, would let out a couple of pound of air to make it easier for the quarterback to grip it. A little less air would make the ball spongier. It was what might be called a perceived advantage-both teams played with the same ball.

http://books.google.com/books?id=wuWJhkUqRKEC&lpg=PA58&vq=doctor&pg=PA67#v=onepage&q=doctor&f=true

You like facts.  Feast on this.  That stuff you mention above is legal.  Every team prepares their footballs the way their QB likes them.  Eli Manning might be the most  finicky of all.  Don't believe me, read this article-

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/sports/football/eli-mannings-footballs-are-months-in-making.html?_r=0

What you cannot alter is what is in the official NFL rulebook, and that is here-

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/5_2013_Ball.pdf

Teams supply the balls the way their QB likes it, and official make sure size, weight, and psi meet the official specs required in Rule 2 Sections 1 and 2.

Fact, balls can be legally doctored  (most every team does)

Fact: Air pressure cannot.  Ball must be tested and then remain in specification for play. But Pat's footballs had not.

I wonder if they had 'soft'  footballs' for Brady against the Ravens?  Would that advantage be enough to overcome the Ravens after 60 minutes were up?  What was weather in Foxboro for Ravens game?  Cold?  Any precipitation?  Interesting to ponder.

You would probably have to tell Belicheck what integrity means. :)

since you guys are so concerned with the integrity of the game, i can only assume you were all blasting the Colts throughout the Suck For Luck year?  Afterall, tanking is far bigger slap in the face of integrity than doctoring balls.

I also assume the baseball fans amongst you get equally enraged at teams that steal signs and doctor balls, right?

Or any hockey fans in the group must have en eagle eye looking for inconsistencies in a player's stick curve

Doesn't that make you really proud of your Pats :???: How can you defend your team from now on out knowing that they have gotten caught twice and god knows how many more times cheating has happened and they were not caught. Real stand up organization in my book. ;)

Apparently it's ok to steal from your mother too, so......

Honor.  Integrity.  Sportsmanship.

The forgotten character traits of great men and great teams.

There was a time, not so long ago when someone would not "do anything" to win regardless of it's legal or moral status.  They would do anything within the rules to win.  Winning by stretching, breaking, or bending the rules into a pretzel shape would have cheapened the value of the win for the team competing for the championship.

I am sickened by this and if Belicheck knew/condoned/looked the other way I would love to see him banned for life for a second offense.  PERIOD.  A lesson needs to be taught and fear instilled or the game becomes the WWE.

since you guys are so concerned with the integrity of the game, i can only assume you were all blasting the Colts throughout the Suck For Luck year?  Afterall, tanking is far bigger slap in the face of integrity than doctoring balls.

I also assume the baseball fans amongst you get equally enraged at teams that steal signs and doctor balls, right?

Or any hockey fans in the group must have en eagle eye looking for inconsistencies in a player's stick curve

Yes Yes and Yes

Keep confirming the stereo type!!!

I didn't see anyone lay down to another team. Did you not see Dan Orlovsky that year??? He looked like he was in the 3rd year of a hangover.

since you guys are so concerned with the integrity of the game, i can only assume you were all blasting the Colts throughout the Suck For Luck year? Afterall, tanking is far bigger slap in the face of integrity than doctoring balls.

I bet you're a great fisherman.

since you guys are so concerned with the integrity of the game, i can only assume you were all blasting the Colts throughout the Suck For Luck year? Afterall, tanking is far bigger slap in the face of integrity than doctoring balls.

You're really reaching with this post.