Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We're not very close to winning a championship

peytonmanning18

As much as I'd like to believe otherwise, I don't think we're anywhere near good enough.  Absolutely destroyed in 4 of 19 games (better than 20%), with too many holes in too many places.  The truth is we're still a soft team - despite what we were told 3 years ago.

Total speculation. Don't forget, Brady isn't getting any younger.

We're a few D players away. But we're probably the second best team in the AFC already.

I have an issue with stating we are the 2nd best team. We have not shown that we can beat the Steelers/Ravens in the regular season much less the post season. We have not shown that we can beat the Chargers, nor the Broncos. We have a division who is catching up with us and we are about to shell out a bunch of money that will imbalance our roster, while the aforementioned teams already are settled in paying their star players. Add to the fact that we will be dealing with the Leagues best RB in Leveon Bell for the next 8 years does not put the Colts in a very secure position.

It's going to be a few more years until this team has a legitimate shot to win it all. We're not close at this point

We almost lucked out with a Cincinnati, injured Peyton, Baltimore path to the Super Bowl.  In the the near future, something like that happening is our best chance. 

Belichick will continue to make this staff look like clowns every time.  Unfortunately, someone else has to beat them.

We almost lucked out with a Cincinnati, injured Peyton, Baltimore path to the Super Bowl. In the the near future, something like that happening is our best chance.

Belichick will continue to make this staff look like clowns every time. Unfortunately, someone else has to beat them.

This is true, it's the same way we got to the super bowl in 2006 and 2009. If Baltimore pulls out that game last week we have a better better chance today

Having a QB like Luck and dominating our division like we have?  That's a pretty safe bet.  Also, I didn't hear much complaining from anyone after the Cincy game or Denver game about our defense

Cinci was missing their top 4 receivers. What a joke.

Denver played with a Rag Arm Rookie like QB.

Having a QB like Luck and dominating our division like we have?  That's a pretty safe bet.  Also, I didn't hear much complaining from anyone after the Cincy game or Denver game about our defense

There wasn't much complaining but I think most realized that we could beat Cincy and we were hoping to get Denver instead of Pittsburg.  I was rooting hard Baltimore to win because I knew New England would bring us back down to reality.

The Pats have some salary cap issues, but the fact remains that they reload and coach up prospects better than any other NFL team...

Indy is ahead of schedule on the rebuild, but they are not a complete product yet. I think that Luck can bring us a Lombardi before we have all if the pieces, but we won't be a dynasty type team without addressing the holes in the roster.

Grigson is good at what he does... I think our arrow is pointed in the right direction, even after getting blown out by a much more complete club...

I have an issue with stating we are the 2nd best team. We have not shown that we can beat the Steelers/Ravens in the regular season much less the post season. We have not shown that we can beat the Chargers, nor the Broncos. We have a division who is catching up with us and we are about to shell out a bunch of money that will imbalance our roster, while the aforementioned teams already are settled in paying their star players. Add to the fact that we will be dealing with the Leagues best RB in Leveon Bell for the next 8 years does not put the Colts in a very secure position.

What? We beat the Ravens and Broncos.

We got farther than 28 other teams did. I say we stay the course and don't do anything rash. Changes are coming, but hopefully nothing too extreme. We're close. We get 1 step farther each year. 

Reminder; There are multiple teams that haven't had a playoff win for a decade, some even over 2 decades or more. 

Total speculation. Don't forget, Brady isn't getting any younger.

As long as BB is in NE and they put in a decent or better QB, the AFC is in for a world of pain. NE doesn't need a great QB like Brady to win it all let alone beat us. The only teams that periodically give them trouble are The Ravens and Miami.

Yeah but in order to win a super bowl you have to win the AFC championship game. And right now the best team in our conference is 38 points better than us

That does not change the definition of close. 

adverb

1. 1
    in a position so as to be very near to someone or something; with very little space between.

We were closer than 29 other teams and just as close as a 30th so your argument that we were not close is invalid. 

We beat the Broncos and Ravens, lost to the Steelers. Yet, those teams didn't get as far as us. So, you could say they're bigger failures.

You need to take a closer look at our division. They're improving by default, they couldn't get much worse.

All said, it doesn't matter if you think we're second, third, fourth, etc., in the AFC. What matters is how we improve. Grigs will continue making moves, not all will work out, but no team is perfect.

We beat the Broncos and Ravens, lost to the Steelers. Yet, those teams didn't get as far as us. So, you could say they're bigger failures.

You need to take a closer look at our division. They're improving by default, they couldn't get much worse.

All said, it doesn't matter if you think we're second, third, fourth, etc., in the AFC. What matters is how we improve. Grigs will continue making moves, not all will work out, but no team is perfect.

Everyone wants to hand their hat on beating a Broncos team with no QB.  If you take the credit for that ok, but they proved they can beat us in the regular season with a healthy one.  The Ravens we have yet to matchup in the post season where they play their best ball in which they beat a Steelers team that we got handled by.  Our division is yes improving by default but the way the NFL is today any of those teams can make a one year jump just like we did.  

My issue is not with Grigson and never has been.  I'm in the minority that we had just as much talent on the field as NE yesterday.  The obvious difference was that our team as per the usual looked lost in the big moment against a healthy GOOD team.  Unlike us the Steelers, Ravens, Broncos, Bengals didn't get blown out by 20+ points and 3 of those teams were missing star players.  What was our excuse?

Everyone wants to hand their hat on beating a Broncos team with no QB.  If you take the credit for that ok, but they proved they can beat us in the regular season with a healthy one.  The Ravens we have yet to matchup in the post season where they play their best ball in which they beat a Steelers team that we got handled by.  Our division is yes improving by default but the way the NFL is today any of those teams can make a one year jump just like we did.  

My issue is not with Grigson and never has been.  I'm in the minority that we had just as much talent on the field as NE yesterday.  The obvious difference was that our team as per the usual looked lost in the big moment against a healthy GOOD team.  Unlike us the Steelers, Ravens, Broncos, Bengals didn't get blown out by 20+ points and 3 of those teams were missing star players.  What was our excuse?

Can't argue with you, except for the speculation that the Ravens would have beaten us.

I've said it numerous times, we play good D against teams with average or worse QBs. I know Brady didn't have great numbers but he didn't need them. It was the threat that, in my opinion, we played off the WRs.

I'm on the same page as you as far as the coaching, but I don't think we have the players on D. Except for our DBs (excluding Landry), the D is full of average players or worse. No NT, ILBs that can't cover or tackle, and little pass rushing talent. Manusky can only do so much with that.

My problem with yesterday is, if you're going to get blown out, why not sell out? Go press coverage, dare them to pass. It couldn't have been much worse.