Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

9 AFCCG appearances vs 9 one and done's

MJD42

Perhaps the biggest chasm between Brady and Manning was cemented this weekend. Brady achieved history by becoming the first QB in the history of the NFL to come back twice from being down 14 points and guiding the Pats to their 9th AFCCG appearance since he became the starter in 2001. He also has the most post-season wins at 19 in the history of the game and will go for #20 Sunday night.

Manning, on the other hand, lost in miserable fashion at home to a team he was favorite to beat for his 9th one and done. The next QB on the list with the most one and done's is Montana with four. So Manning has more than twice as many one and done's as any other QB in history and of course the most post-season losses at 13 in the history of the game.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the biggest chasm between Brady and Manning was cemented this weekend. Brady achieved history by becoming the first QB in the history of the NFL to come back twice from being down 14 points and guiding the Pats to their 9th AFCCG appearance since he became the starter in 2001. He also has the most post-season wins at 19 in the history of the game and will go for #20 Sunday night.

Manning, on the other hand, lost in miserable fashion at home to a team he was favorite to beat for his 9th one and done. The next QB on the list with the most one and done's is Montana with four. So Manning has more than twice as many one and done's as any other QB in history and of course the most post-season losses at 13 in the history of the game.

want_a_cookie_8x10.jpg

Aaron Rodgers I think said it best when asked about his legacy:

"I really believe that you earn your paycheck during the season," Rodgers told Costas. "[You] play at a high level and get your team to the playoffs. And then the postseason is all about creating your legacy. The great quarterbacks are remembered for their playoff successes and triumphs and Super Bowl championships and Super Bowl MVPs."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/52037/packers-49ers-ii-legacy-of-aaron-rodgers

a playoff loss is a playoff loss...Its the titles that count..as long as Tom Brady has 3...he's in the lead..looking for 4

...The deal is..barring 2 major upsets by our Colts..

Rodgers or Russell Wilson is going to have a 50-50 chance to get to 2..

..are we read to discuss Russell Wilson as one of the all-time greats because SB titles is our standard?

a playoff loss is a playoff loss...Its the titles that count..as long as Tom Brady has 3...he's in the lead..looking for 4

...The deal is..barring 2 major upsets by our Colts..

Rodgers or Russell Wilson is going to have a 50-50 chance to get to 2..

..are we read to discuss Russell Wilson as one of the all-time greats because SB titles is our standard?

Mark, we are not just talking rings here. We are talking about a QB that began his career at 10-0 with three titles. In 14 seasons he has been to 9 conference champ games winning 5 of them with a chance at 6 on Sunday. If he does win Sunday, he will be the only QB to start six SBs. He is tied with only Elway right now with 5. He also has the most TDs and most yards in the post-season history. And he is going for win #20 which is mind boggling. He easily has the most accomplished post-season resume. Oh and only two one and done's. Montana has four, the second most behind Manning. Also has 8 GWD/4th quarter comebacks. Most all time.

Mark, we are not just talking rings here. We are talking about a QB that began his career at 10-0 with three titles. In 14 seasons he has been to 9 conference champ games winning 5 of them with a chance at 6 on Sunday. If he does win Sunday, he will be the only QB to start six SBs. He is tied with only Elway right now with 5. He also has the most TDs and most yards in the post-season history. And he is going for win #20 which is mind boggling. He easily has the most accomplished post-season resume. Oh and only two one and done's. Montana has four, the second most behind Manning. Also has 8 GWD/4th quarter comebacks. Most all time.

I know that you know I know that...right?

...but it comes down to titles....conference and league...you cant honor appearances.. 1-and-done is an appearence..

Oregon appeared in the national title game Monday (allegedly)

...but it comes down to titles....conference and league...you cant honor appearances.. 1-and-done is an appearence..

So you view a one and done as the same as making it to the Super Bowl and losing? Sorry, I don't. They would not call it the AFC championship game and award a ring if it was the same as the other payoff rounds.

And again Brady has 3 titles with a chance at 4th which would tie him for the most all time.

Then why does Lucas Oil Stadium have an "AFC FINALIST' banner hanging both from its rafters and in the home locker room?

I don't think it's any surprise that Brady has always had the better team around him for his entire career.  People say Peyton has all these one-and-dones like it's his fault.  Sure, he's contributed, but give him the team and coaching Brady has had and I guarantee that number drops.

Really, it's sad to see things like this.  Instead of appreciating two great QBs, people have to keep trashing one QB in order to feel good about themselves and their own QB.  Ask Peyton what he thinks of Brady and he'll give you nothing but praise.  Ask Brady what he thinks of Peyton and he'll give you nothing but praise.  If you really want to make weak arguments, I could counter by saying Brady has the most Super Bowl losses of any QB remaining.  In fact, of the 4 remaining QBs, Brady is the only QB to ever lose a Super Bowl...of course, that requires blatantly ignoring the fact that football is a team game, but I'm just following your lead here, MJD.  You can find these stats to make any sort of argument you want.  Just appreciate that Brady and Peyton have had some great matchups against one another and we are lucky enough to have witnessed two of the greatest QBs who ever lived.

Aaron Rodgers I think said it best when asked about his legacy:

"I really believe that you earn your paycheck during the season," Rodgers told Costas. "[You] play at a high level and get your team to the playoffs. And then the postseason is all about creating your legacy. The great quarterbacks are remembered for their playoff successes and triumphs and Super Bowl championships and Super Bowl MVPs."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/52037/packers-49ers-ii-legacy-of-aaron-rodgers

So if Seattle wins this SB, we can start making the case for RW as being the greatest QB in the history of the game. 2 SB in first 3 years with something like a 7-1 playoff record. That by far will outshine Brady's 3 rings in 15 seasons. 

Do we really need to revisit a Brady vs Manning thread again ? 

I don't think it's any surprise that Brady has always had the better team around him for his entire career.  People say Peyton has all these one-and-dones like it's his fault.  Sure, he's contributed, but give him the team and coaching Brady has had and I guarantee that number drops.

Really, it's sad to see things like this.  Instead of appreciating two great QBs, people have to keep trashing one QB in order to feel good about themselves and their own QB.  Ask Peyton what he thinks of Brady and he'll give you nothing but praise.  Ask Brady what he thinks of Peyton and he'll give you nothing but praise.  If you really want to make weak arguments, I could counter by saying Brady has the most Super Bowl losses of any QB remaining.  In fact, of the 4 remaining QBs, Brady is the only QB to ever lose a Super Bowl...of course, that requires blatantly ignoring the fact that football is a team game, but I'm just following your lead here, MJD.  You can find these stats to make any sort of argument you want.  Just appreciate that Brady and Peyton have had some great matchups against one another and we are lucky enough to have witnessed two of the greatest QBs who ever lived.

Brady has not always had the better team. That is a lie. Especially these last three seasons when Elway has pulled out all the stops to put an all star team around him ... 

I agree completely with your second paragraph. But the comparisons will always be there ... does not mean I don't respect the heck out of each player.

So if Seattle wins this SB, we can start making the case for RW as being the greatest QB in the history of the game. 2 SB in first 3 years with something like a 7-1 playoff record. That by far will outshine Brady's 3 rings in 15 seasons. 

Do we really need to revisit a Brady vs Manning thread again ? 

Hey, I didn't start the discussion but to your point Brady went 10-0 with three rings to start his career so no Wilson would not be there yet but on his way. He for sure has the best chance to try to come close to what Brady has done IF he wins it all this year ...

Hey, I didn't start the discussion but to your point Brady went 10-0 with three rings to start his career so no Wilson would not be there yet but on his way. He for sure has the best chance to try to come close to what Brady has done IF he wins it all this year ...

brady had best defense we started the pats . just like when big ben join steelers and won 2 sb,'s early . because they had a  good defense around both of them. were manning had a crappy defense for first 4 years.

vs 9 and done.  It don't surprise me when this is brought up. I am not too sure of the exact numbers but how many of those 9 losses came after Manning had a lead or had the team in position to win in the 4th quarter?  I can recall the Colts having leads in the 4th quarter just to see the defenses and or special teams give up plays to lose the game. That was especially true as a Colt. Most Patriot fans love to bring up any stat to make Brady look better than Manning. Playoff games are won as a team and lost as a team. If Vinatieri would have missed a field goal or two like Vanderjagt did Brady would not have 3 rings. It real convenient to omit things like that when you are narrow minded in the facts.

Manning had Reggie Wayne, marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, edgerrin james on offense.

Brady beat manning with the likes of Troy Brown, David Patten, Antowain Smith, and a bunch of other lesser names.  It wasn't until Moss or Welker that Brady had anything resembling an all pro receiver to throw to.

Manning also had top 10 defenses in 2002, 2005 (ranked 2nd overall), 2007 (first overall), 2008, and 2009.  They had the 23rd ranked defense in 2006 when they won the title.  Brady owns manning just like he owns luck now.

I agree that the thread was unnecessary and that's why I haven't commented on it. Just sort of divisive, with no offense intended to the OP. Just not something I was going to touch.

But I'd strongly disagree that Brady has "always had the better team around him." Just go by the betting lines. The Colts were favored in plenty of big games for a reason. 

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/nfl/2012-10-06/broncos-vs-patriots-point-spread-odds-vegas-betting-line-manning-brady-history

Brady's usually had the better defenses, while Manning has had better talent to work with on offense.

Brady has had better coaching, while Manning had the benefit of playing indoors.

Goes on and on and on and on and on and...  ;)

vs 9 and done.  It don't surprise me when this is brought up. I am not too sure of the exact numbers but how many of those 9 losses came after Manning had a lead or had the team in position to win in the 4th quarter?  I can recall the Colts having leads in the 4th quarter just to see the defenses and or special teams give up plays to lose the game. That was especially true as a Colt. Most Patriot fans love to bring up any stat to make Brady look better than Manning. Playoff games are won as a team and lost as a team. If Vinatieri would have missed a field goal or two like Vanderjagt did Brady would not have 3 rings. It real convenient to omit things like that when you are narrow minded in the facts.

fact brady had better team on day one after he took the job after drew bledsoe got injured .  people forget that little thing call a team .

I think you would compare bodies of work rather than comparing how they did at " year for year." By your standards which will be always be tainted by your worshipping of Brady , it wouldn't matter if Brady had 10  straight 1 and dones after starting 10-0. 

No question you go by total bodies of work 7-1 with 2 titles in 3 years would no doubt trump 19-9 with 3 SB in 15 years. 

I know you didn't start it but you will be the one that makes this a long repetitive thread that's been beat to death 

Manning had Reggie Wayne, marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, edgerrin james on offense.

Brady beat manning with the likes of Troy Brown, David Patten, Antowain Smith, and a bunch of other lesser names.  It wasn't until Moss or Welker that Brady had anything resembling an all pro receiver to throw to.

Manning also had top 10 defenses in 2002, 2005 (ranked 2nd overall), 2007 (first overall), 2008, and 2009.  They had the 23rd ranked defense in 2006 when they won the title.  Brady owns manning just like he owns luck now.

its  manning made them  stars in nfl. look at dallas clark sucks he left the colts . manning make good players great    example  eric decker.

I agree that the thread was unnecessary and that's why I haven't commented on it. Just sort of divisive, with no offense intended to the OP. Just not something I was going to touch.

But I'd strongly disagree that Brady has "always had the better team around him." Just go by the betting lines. The Colts were favored in plenty of big games for a reason. 

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/nfl/2012-10-06/broncos-vs-patriots-point-spread-odds-vegas-betting-line-manning-brady-history

Brady's usually had the better defenses, while Manning has had better talent to work with on offense.

Brady has had better coaching, while Manning had the benefit of playing indoors.

Goes on and on and on and on and on and...  ;)

Maybe not last year, but I think Brady has had the better teams in general.  He's had things that help him win in the playoffs (good defense, good running game, good coaching, playing outdoors) while Peyton has had the things that help him win in the regular season (playing indoors, surrounded by offensive talent)

Brady has not always had the better team. That is a lie. Especially these last three seasons when Elway has pulled out all the stops to put an all star team around him ... 

I agree completely with your second paragraph. But the comparisons will always be there ... does not mean I don't respect the heck out of each player.

haha These discussions are funny when you think about them.  "My QB is better than your QB!  But your team has been better than my team!!"

I think when it comes to really building a complete team, Elway can't compare with Belichick.  And Peyton's coaches have never been anywhere near the level of Belichick. 

Regardless, both are great QBs and we're fortunate to be witnessing them live.  Because of my age, I wasn't able to witness players like Montana and Unitas live.  But being able to watch the battles Peyton has had with Brady have been great

The team that was 0-2 and coming off a 5-11 season? That team?

lol, that was year brady did not even play . learn history? first year brady play same as luck did for the colts 11-5  reason was 5-11 because was belichick  first  year without brady.

I think you would compare bodies of work rather than comparing how they did at " year for year." By your standards which will be always be tainted by your worshipping of Brady , it wouldn't matter if Brady had 10  straight 1 and dones after starting 10-0. 

No question you go by total bodies of work 7-1 with 2 titles in 3 years would no doubt trump 19-9 with 3 SB in 15 years. 

I know you didn't start it but you will be the one that makes this a long repetitive thread that's been beat to death 

How do you figure 7-1 with two titles in 3 years is better than three titles at 10-0 in 4 years?

Like I said, IF Wilson gets #2 this year than he is on pace to get to Brady but still a looong ways to go to get to 19 post-season wins and 9 conference champ games and 5 SBs with 3 wins ...

BTW, I love Wilson. He is Brady 2.0 just not as good looking. lol.

Name one coach in the league that is better than Bill Belichick in terms of game planning on all 3 phases. When he did not have the Johnnys and Joes, Xs and Os could only take him so far in the playoffs.

The 9 one-and-dones for Peyton may have considerably gone down if Belichick was a coach, I firmly believe that. Plus, all the close games that the Patriots won over the years in the playoffs, a few games swing a different way, the 19-8 Brady record could be 15-12 or worse. That is where the team support goes a long way. Belichick coached team would not give up that hail mary to the Ravens in 2012, no way. A Belichick coached team would not be calling timeouts to bail out Mark Sanchez or give up a 53 yard kick return after going up 16-14 in 2010. Several small instances where superior coaching would have made a difference in a few games being won for Peyton if he tag teamed with Belichick, IMO.

I still believe Brady is a better playoff QB than Peyton, hands down in terms of arm strength, turnovers and poise under pressure in the playoffs. However, I do believe that Brady's benefits of tag teaming with Belichick has a significant part in the playoff record being that stellar.

How do you figure 7-1 with two titles in 3 years is better than three titles at 10-0 in 4 years?

Like I said, IF Wilson gets #2 this year than he is on pace to get to Brady but still a looong ways to go to get to 19 post-season wins and 9 conference champ games and 5 SBs with 3 wins ...

BTW, I love Wilson. He is Brady 2.0 just not as good looking. lol.

Because you would compare what each player has done in the years they have played. Brady will have played 15 years and Wilson 3. You're comparison would be Wilson's first 3 years to Brady's first 3 years. You even "cheat" that by adding Brady's 4th year.  I'm talking about rating their careers up to this point in time. You have to add in the around 9-8 mark with no titles that Brady owned past the 10-0 start with 3 SB wins. You can't see that 7-1 with 2 SB wins in 3 years is more impressive than 19-8 with 3 titles in 15 years ? 

Other words you either compare Wilson's 3 years to Brady's first 3 years or you compare their whole bodies of work. What you have is ridiculous . It's one or the other.. 3 vs 3 or 3 vs 15. 3 vs 4 shows that your bias really does effect your common sense.

Because you would compare what each player has done in the years they have played. Brady will have played 15 years and Wilson 3. You're comparison would be Wilson's first 3 years to Brady's first 3 years. You even "cheat" that by adding Brady's 4th year.  I'm talking about rating their careers up to this point in time. You have to add in the around 9-8 mark with no titles that Brady owned past the 10-0 start with 3 SB wins. You can't see that 7-1 with 2 SB wins in 3 years is more impressive than 19-8 with 3 titles in 15 years ? 

Other words you either compare Wilson's 3 years to Brady's first 3 years or you compare their whole bodies of work. What you have is ridiculous . It's one or the other.. 3 vs 3 or 3 vs 15. 3 vs 4 shows that your bias really does effect your common sense.

ok, you lost me but carry on ...

Well said but its been said so many times over deaf ears.

PM is a great QB. Anyone who can't see that is blind.  Ditto Brady. And quite a few others while we're at it.

I don't like PM's strategy of throwing it at times over the run but it doesn't diminish his whole body of work.

ok, you lost me but carry on ...

Yeah .. I figured that. OK... if you want to compare Brady to Wilson , you can do one of two things.

1) What I did. That would be you compare the body of work of each and draw your conclusion. So you would say "what is more impressive 7-1 , 2 SB wins in only 3 years in the league... or 19-8 with 3 titles in 15 years. My opinion is the first set of stats.

2) You can compare Brady's corresponding year to the ones that Wilson has played . Simply put RW's first 3 years to Brady's first three years. I would call it a push or give Wilson the edge . It's not his fault the TB was sucking his thumb and holding a clip board as a rookie. So I'm saying RW's first year was more impressive than Brady warming the bench.

That (above) said , what you did is ridiculous. You take Brady's 4 years and compare to RW's first 3 and say TB> RW. You have to do one or other. Whole body of work 15 years to 3 or the comparative starts to their careers .. which would be Brady's first 3 years compared to Wilson's.

lol, that was year brady did not even play . learn history? first year brady play same as luck did for the colts 11-5  reason was 5-11 because was belichick  first  year without brady.

Learn history?

The Patriots went 5-11 in 2000 (year before he took over). They were 0-2 when Brady took over when Bledsoe got hurt. Not sure which history class I missed but those are the facts, Jack. 

You said he inherited a very good team. Learn history.  ;)

Then why does Lucas Oil Stadium have an "AFC FINALIST' banner hanging both from its rafters and in the home locker room?

The same reason the Patriots have a 16-0 banner hanging in Gillette (which you don't really get a trophy or a ring for that)? Are they too afraid to just say "2007 AFC Champions"? ;)

Learn history?

The Patriots went 5-11 in 2000 (year before he took over). They were 0-2 when Brady took over when Bledsoe got hurt. Not sure which history class I missed but those are the facts, Jack. 

You said he inherited a very good team. Learn history.  ;)

In 2001, the Patriots went 11–5 in the regular season, and defeated the Oakland Raiders and Pittsburgh Steelers on the way to the Super Bowl. In Super Bowl XXXVI, Belichick's defense held the St. Louis Rams' offense, which had averaged 31 points during the season, to 17 points, and the Patriots won on a last second field goal byAdam Vinatieri. The win was the first Super Bowl championship in Patriots history.

brady played  that year.

had a great defense.

The Patriots opened the season with a 23–17 loss at Cincinnati, with Bledsoe as the starting quarterback.[30] Their second game, and home opener, on September 23, was against their AFC East rival, the New York Jets. Bledsoe was again the starter, when in the fourth quarter he suffered internal bleeding after a hit from Jets linebacker Mo Lewis. Bledsoe returned for the next series, but was replaced with Brady for the Patriots' final series of the gam

In 2001, the Patriots went 11–5 in the regular season, and defeated the Oakland Raiders and Pittsburgh Steelers on the way to the Super Bowl. In Super Bowl XXXVI, Belichick's defense held the St. Louis Rams' offense, which had averaged 31 points during the season, to 17 points, and the Patriots won on a last second field goal byAdam Vinatieri. The win was the first Super Bowl championship in Patriots history.

brady played  that year.

had a great defense.

The Patriots opened the season with a 23–17 loss at Cincinnati, with Bledsoe as the starting quarterback.[30] Their second game, and home opener, on September 23, was against their AFC East rival, the New York Jets. Bledsoe was again the starter, when in the fourth quarter he suffered internal bleeding after a hit from Jets linebacker Mo Lewis. Bledsoe returned for the next series, but was replaced with Brady for the Patriots' final series of the gam

fact , drew  bledsoe  suck was only a good too avg qb. 

brady played  that year.

had a great defense.

Again I'm not making fun of you here but I think the language barrier is causing problems for you.

They went 5-11 the year before Brady played.

They were 0-2 when Brady took over and the team finished 11-5 that year. 

This is what I've said all along.  :thmup:

Yeah .. I figured that. OK... if you want to compare Brady to Wilson , you can do one of two things.

1) What I did. That would be you compare the body of work of each and draw your conclusion. So you would say "what is more impressive 7-1 , 2 SB wins in only 3 years in the league... or 19-8 with 3 titles in 15 years. My opinion is the first set of stats.

2) You can compare Brady's corresponding year to the ones that Wilson has played . Simply put RW's first 3 years to Brady's first three years. I would call it a push or give Wilson the edge . It's not his fault the TB was sucking his thumb and holding a clip board as a rookie. So I'm saying RW's first year was more impressive than Brady warming the bench.

That (above) said , what you did is ridiculous. You take Brady's 4 years and compare to RW's first 3 and say TB> RW. You have to do one or other. Whole body of work 15 years to 3 or the comparative starts to their careers .. which would be Brady's first 3 years compared to Wilson's.

Gotcha. IF Wilson wins this year then yes he will be ahead of where Brady was 3 years into his career BUT I will still take a perfect post-season record over a blemished one. So Brady undefeated in post-season with a ring in hand is still more impressive than Wilson with his one loss. When Brady became the starter he never lost in the post season until his 5th year. That is maybe the most impressive post-season record of all time ...

The same reason the Patriots have a 16-0 banner hanging in Gillette (which you don't really get a trophy or a ring for that)? Are they too afraid to just say "2007 AFC Champions"? ;)

Totally different and you know it. The Patriots don't hang Division Champion banners or Conference Champion banners...some teams do and hey, that's fine. The 16-0 banner that they have hanging is not prominently displayed near the Championship banners...it is on the opposite end of the stadium next to a Kenny Chesney banner and reads 'Regular Season Record'...it simply acknowledges the greatest regular season record in the history of the National Football League and is no different than, say, a ring of honor or retired numbers hanging in the stadium.

A banner that reads 'AFC Finalist' and hangs prominently next to a Superbowl banner is completely different. I mean, come on...AFC FINALIST????

Again I'm not making fun of you here but I think the language barrier is causing problems for you.

They went 5-11 the year before Brady played.

They were 0-2 when Brady took over and the team finished 11-5 that year. 

This is what I've said all along.  :thmup:

had best defense and great offense   had Antowain Smith  had 1,157 yards rb , Troy Brown 1,199  wr  ,