Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Twitter...Donte Whitmer to the Colts?

OnlyUtahColtsFan

The Buffalo News confirms that free agent SS Donte Whitner "appears certain to sign elsewhere" after five seasons as a Bill.Whitner is one of the top run-support strong safeties in football, but the Bills are going cheaper at the position with Jairus Byrd and George Wilson. Whitner just turned 26 years old on Sunday, so he should have plenty of solid seasons left in the tank. The Browns have been floated as a possible suitor. --- RotoWorld

Donte Whitner | Defensive Back (SS)

Team: Buffalo Bills

Ht / Wt: 5'10' / 208

Age / DOB: (26) / 7/24/1985

College: Ohio State

Drafted 2006 / 1st Round (eighth overall) --- Wikipedia

I don't know about anyone else, but Silva, Bullitt and Thomas all coming back from Knee surgery, doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the depth of the secondary. I've been waiting for a move to be made here. Fingers crossed.

I don't know about anyone else, but Silva, Bullitt and Thomas all coming back from Knee surgery, doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the depth of the secondary. I've been waiting for a move to be made here. Fingers crossed.

Didn't I read that Silva was released? Thomas should be nickle or dime CB, we have some talent there. Safety is where we need help. Whitner would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

One thing to consider is we resigned Bullitt. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't sign, but if he does it definitely shores up our safety depth.

It was the Bullit signing that has me thinking we aren't looking for a starting safety any longer. Whitner fits the bill (pun intended) for a Colts safety, but with Bullit signed, this seems highly unlikely.

I feel the general consensus of the fans is....we want a new toy to play with.

Bc he isnt (Bullitt) that great. He average at best since Bethea saves him most of the time IMO. If you look at the game he misses lots of tackles.Plus whitner is exactly what we need a run stopping safety a la Bob while Bullitt doesnt have the body frame to work as run stopping safety. If we get whitner I say he starts next to bethea and bullitt comes in on special packages.

My point exactly. I'll take a good player at any position on the field, but I really doubt Donte would want to sit behind Bullit on the depth chart, let alone share time at Safety.. Now if we are switching to some odd 3 safety defense then by all means... guess that'd make more sense out of the whole Hayden release :panic:

thought Silva was released

FA moves only happen once a year, so let's go with it...It's always fun to speculate and piece our ideal team together...

I don't fully understand Twitter, so I can't tell in Donte actually tweeted this himself or not...see for yourself and enlighten the rest of us...

http://twitter.com/#!/DonteWhitner

If so, good move considering price?

only says he is considering Colts, Cowboys, or Browns

If the price is right (and I have no idea what that would be, 5 years 20 mill, 3 year 15 mil, I have no idea what the Colts would consider the right price) I don't know how why the Colts wouldn't make this move. I like Bullitt and I think a lot of people blame him for things that don't happen in reality, but I don't think he is anything more than a good, solid safety. Whitner, teamed up with Bethea, would make a great duo. And for those that think Whitner is just a run stopper because of his tackles, that is wrong. He is very good in coverage, especially covering a zone. He doesn't have elite top end speed but he is as quick and agile and just about any other safety in the league not named Polamalu.

It dosn't mean anything. But he has the same agent as Peyton (Tom Condon)

That means a lot. Condon knows how much space the Colts have and if they're even a player. I doubt we are, but I'd love to have him in our D backfield.

Didn't I read that Silva was released? Thomas should be nickle or dime CB, we have some talent there. Safety is where we need help. Whitner would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

I did , but maybe site was in error, dont have the link