Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doug Marrone opts out of contract

snkdy

He will get a lot of better opportunities. Maybe he doesn't like the new owners

That could be the case for sure? Maybe he didn't like the direction the new owners were wanting to go? The Bills did have their defense in the right direction but I am not too up to date on anything else on the Bills.

Almost seems like they are cursed at times. I think Marrone will be headed back to college most likely.

Yeah they seem snake bitten but at least they don't have it as bad as the Browns. I didn't know Marrone was a college coach before though.

Yeah they seem snake bitten but at least they don't have it as bad as the Browns. I didn't know Marrone was a college coach before though.

Yeah he came over from Syracuse I believe the same year Manuel was drafted.  I think he was in the NFL before at some point, but his last stop was in Syracuse.

Yeah he came over from Syracuse I believe the same year Manuel was drafted. I think he was in the NFL before at some point, but his last stop was in Syracuse.

Ohhh that's right. I remember now about all the buzz before the Draft about if the Bills were gonna draft Nassib from his old school Syracuse.

Ohhh that's right. I remember now about all the buzz before the Draft about if the Bills were gonna draft Nassib from his old school Syracuse.

I was reading about this on NFL.com and they say he was wanting an extension and they declined him so I assume he exercised his option to leave which included a $4 million dollar check he received.  Also they are saying that Bill Polian is going to become the new president of the Bills.  I'll put up a link in a minute.

I was reading about this on NFL.com and they say he was wanting an extension and they declined him so I assume he exercised his option to leave which included a $4 million dollar check he received. Also they are saying that Bill Polian is going to become the new president of the Bills. I'll put up a link in a minute.

Bill is gonna be President of the Bills? Stranger than fiction :)

Bill is gonna be President of the Bills? Stranger than fiction :)

93Q5Q2uI_normal.jpeg 18m

Bill Polian will be taking over as Bills team president/football czar but move may not be announced til late Jan, due to his commitments

Marrone, according to Rapoport, asked for a contract extension from the new ownership. They declined, and he opted to leave with a financial going away present. Marrone will gets $4 million as part of his opt-out, according to Rapoport.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000452509/article/doug-marrone-has-opted-out-of-his-contract

93Q5Q2uI_normal.jpeg 18m

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora

Bill Polian will be taking over as Bills team president/football czar but move may not be announced til late Jan, due to his commitments

Retweeted by Kevin Bowen

Thanks..now it makes sense

Marrone, according to Rapoport, asked for a contract extension from the new ownership. They declined, and he opted to leave with a financial going away present. Marrone will gets $4 million as part of his opt-out, according to Rapoport.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000452509/article/doug-marrone-has-opted-out-of-his-contract

Why? I didn't have too many gripes with the guy, other than constantly punting on 4th and 1 from the opponents' 40 yard line, and then netting only like 20 yards.

Always one step forward, two steps back with this team, I tell ya.

Maybe the new coach gets rid of Nathaniel Hackett (our OC), someone who I actually kinda don't like. But PLEASE keep Jim Schwartz on board.

But more importantly, the new coach better defer when winning the coin toss. My biggest qualification for a HC is that lol

93Q5Q2uI_normal.jpeg 18m

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora

Retweeted by Kevin Bowen

So Poilan has gone full circle if this is true. The Bills have been trying to recapture the Polian/Leavy era since they left so this is one way to do that. I would look for the Bills to hire a coach similar in personally to Leavy based on how Polian has talked about him if this is true.

The Jets are in disarray, NE's wad is about shot, and Buffalo is about one Olineman and QB away from being a very good team.  Now would be a smart time for Polian to take over the Bills...and Polian is a pretty smart guy.

lol. NE is not going anywhere. They will rule the East as long as Bill is there.

lol. NE is not going anywhere. They will rule the East as long as Bill is there.

Ha. Good point. NE will always be competitive.

But replacing Brady might not be easy, and coaching can't make up for that loss totally. If Buff gets a QB over the next few years, the East might even out quite a bit.

Now would be the time to take over the Bills, if Polian wanted to do that. With all of his bluster about defense and special teams, he has a history of building good offenses..as long as he doesn't mess up the Bills D.

Ive heard some conversation that what he did might be against NFL regulation... I liked him until he pulled this. It like a scumbag move most likely he has been offered another head coach job, I know the ownership didn't promise an extension but at least give the players a heads up. and now he is going to another team or back to college but most likely the jets offered him the job that's why he did what he did. So say this happens and he becomes an NFL coach again, is the NFL going to find a way to persecute him? I believe it should be right, what he did to the Bills franchise is unjust. In my opinion hes a baby who never wanted to coach the Bills cause he doesn't think they can win, good luck winning in NY * bag, I hope he goes back to college.

Haven't heard anything about being against any sort of rules. I thought it was kind of a (jerk) move, especially how his players were told via text *after* the media had gotten hold of the information. Also I was surprised that he opted out because I never considered him to be a good coach and thought him lucky to even somehow have an NFL job and he throws it away. I don't really know why the Jets are interested honestly, because what they have is a young passer who is struggling, and Marrone certainly didn't do anything to convince anyone that he could develop a young passer in the NFL with his handling of Manuel. And the only reason the team did anything is because of their very good defense. Their offense was mediocre (relatively speaking) but that was enough to get 9 wins, and they probably would have had more if Orton was playing the whole season. That said, I don't believe any of the success was directly related to him. I don't see why you want an offensive coach that had his offense playing alright, especially with all the skill players they have on that team.