Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gruden extended to ESPN / Monday Night Football through 2021.

ColtsBlueFL

Couldn't stand the guy at first, but I've slowly warmed up to him. Would still take him over at least half of the announcers in the league.

They announced the extension after halftime, and leading up to the announcement it sounded like Gruden would be headed for the exits on MNF.

I knew Oakland had no shot at him running up & down the sidelines again. It's hard not to like Gruden. He loves what he does--breaking down games & he's darn good at it. 

He's not my favorite booth guy, but I have no complaints.

Off topic: Dan Fouts is starting to grow on me. He has a nice speaking voice & he always says goofy, comical stuff on air that cracks me up. If I was on the air, I'd be just like him. Laugh at my own jokes whether or not they are funny. LOL! 

Couldn't stand the guy at first, but I've slowly warmed up to him. Would still take him over at least half of the announcers in the league.

This is pretty much how I feel. I know many don't like Collingsworth but he's technically very sound. He's the best at breaking down coverage, routes and schemes for the layman. If you listen to him you will learn. Yes he does blurt out something stupid at least once a game but many fans don't like him for the simple fact that he gives an honest assessment of their team.  

Just reported live on MNF itself!  No coaching jobs for Jon Gruden anymore.  He was on contract through 2016, so they just added 5 more years.  And that is how long the ESPN MNF contract just happens to be, as below-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/08/espn-extends-monday-night-football-deal-through-2021/

For what little it's worth,  but that's what's been reported every time Gruden re-does his deal with ESPN.

I don't believe for a minute that if there was a coaching job Gruden wanted that ESPN would stand in his way.

They'd say good bye and good luck in a split second.

And they'd welcome him back when he was done with that job if that's what Gruden wanted.