Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3 Saga Is Never Ending

dw49

Just when everyone thought he was KO'd , he get's up off the canvas just beating the count to 10. This could be his second coach killing in two years...

Roto world...The Washington Post reports the Redskins are considering firing Jay Gruden after the season.

Despite signing a fully guaranteed five-year deal this offseason, Gruden could be "one and done" in Washington. Owner Daniel Snyder and GM Bruce Allen are not completely on board with the decision to bench Robert Griffin III, leading to reports that Griffin could still make more starts this year. Gruden has led the Redskins to just three wins and regressed the careers of both Griffin and Kirk Cousins. If ownership decides to commit to Griffin in 2015, Washington could move on from Gruden regardless of financial commitments.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just when everyone thought he was KO'd , he get's up off the canvas just beating the count to 10. This could be his second coach killing in two years...

Roto world...The Washington Post reports the Redskins are considering firing Jay Gruden after the season.

Despite signing a fully guaranteed five-year deal this offseason, Gruden could be "one and done" in Washington. Owner Daniel Snyder and GM Bruce Allen are not completely on board with the decision to bench Robert Griffin III, leading to reports that Griffin could still make more starts this year. Gruden has led the Redskins to just three wins and regressed the careers of both Griffin and Kirk Cousins. If ownership decides to commit to Griffin in 2015, Washington could move on from Gruden regardless of financial commitments.

wow......if that's true.........double wow

I have nothing to say on his competence, but as I have posted before I haven't been impressed with his handling of it. Not that he is benching RG3 or anything, but rather he goes to the media to discuss things. Just tell the guy why in private, no need to go to the media and say RG3 is incompetent. We know it, but the having the coach come out and say that isn't really necessary, nor called for. That kind of talk is for the media. 

No respectable coach will sign there knowing RG3 will be there QB . Snyder is the worst owner in the NFL he needs to stay out of things and let the coaches do there job . They already can't sell tickets to there games another pathedic season I can't imagine how bad things will get .

I have nothing to say on his competence, but as I have posted before I haven't been impressed with his handling of it. Not that he is benching RG3 or anything, but rather he goes to the media to discuss things. Just tell the guy why in private, no need to go to the media and say RG3 is incompetent. We know it, but the having the coach come out and say that isn't really necessary, nor called for. That kind of talk is for the media. 

I think maybe Gruden felt there was no way RG3 would ver be a competent QB and met a lot of opposition from Snider and the GM. Could be at that point he felt his NFL career was better served to pretty much say that his offense is OK but RG is demolishing it. Lots of conjecture there but I think there's probably a lot of strife going on in the organization and Gruden felt it best to distance himself from RG3.

I read an interesting article about this situation. Letting RGIII go would have made a lot more sense. Instead, by firing the head coach, the organization has a lot more to lose. They risk their stability, will require new playbooks, new terminology, and friction with the remaining coaching staff (will they work efficiently under the new head coach?). Generally, when a head coach joins a team, changes are made to conform to the coach. When a QB joins a team, generally the QB conforms to the coaches, especially if he's a young QB, like RGIII. The coaching staff will draw some plays up to suit the QB, but it's ultimately the QB's job to learn the OC's playbook.

This firing of Gruden will also dissuade other talented head coaches from the position. If ownership is willing to fire a head coach because of the QB, what does that say about the organization? What does that say about a head coach's job security when ownership is not willing to respect contracts?

RGIII is also a read-option QB, so the next head coach must devise special plays to conform to RGIII. Will the next head coach be willing to do that?

Bad move if they fire the head coach. This will set the Redskins back for years.

I think they set Jay up for failure. I think Jay could be a decent head coach in the NFL, but the Redskins are a mess. I wouldn't go so far as to blame him for "regressing the careers" of RG3 and Cousins, though

Grudge is smart. Fully guaranteed 5 year deal. If he is out, he will take money and go.

I think a few realizations need to be addressed:

1.Brian Orakpo has only played is only 401 snaps this year......50.9 of the teams total defensive snaps

2.Perry Riley in 611 defensive snaps has been pretty bad

3.That Secondary has been garbage

4.No matter who has been at QB for the Redskins the right side of that O Line has been garbage

Do I necessarily think Griffin is the answer? No but I also don't think Jay Gruden is either, They also need to play Moses on that right side either at Guard or Tackle

You seem obsessed with the demise of RG in DC.

Gruden is not a good coach. I told you that back in the off-season. You can blame RG all you want but he barely played this season and Gruden tried 3 different QBs and they have all been terrible with that potent offense with weapons at every skill position. Then his ridiculous tirade against RG. Very unprofessional and childish. He should go.

Gruden is not a good coach. I told you that back in the off-season. You can blame RG all you want but he barely played this season and Gruden tried 3 different QBs and they have all been terrible with that potent offense with weapons at every skill position. Then his ridiculous tirade against RG. Very unprofessional and childish. He should go.

Only thing I disagree with is that all three qbs have been terrible. Colt McCoy has shown the redskins can be a dangerous team with a decent qb. He's either won in his 3 games or put up very good stats. Against the colts last week he put up 390 yds and 3 tds. Yes, he gets sacked and fumbles, but he's still miles ahead of RGIII and Cousins. I'd argue he could be the Skins starting qb if they got rid of Griffin.

Translation: it is not RG3's fault 

Gotta admit, I enjoyed the part where you used "unprofessional and childish" in a Redskins thread to describe someone other than Robert or Snyder...plot twist.  Aside from that bit of entertainment, I couldn't disagree more.  Bob might not be the only problem but he is one of the biggest problems.  The reasons behind him barely playing are A) he is often injured B) he is terrible.  How many games is he owed before a judgement on his play can be made?  He had an entire preseason this year..so that excuse is off the table.

Gotta admit, I enjoyed the part where you used "unprofessional and childish" in a Redskins thread to describe someone other than Robert or Snyder...plot twist.  Aside from that bit of entertainment, I couldn't disagree more.  Bob might not be the only problem but he is one of the biggest problems.  The reasons behind him barely playing are A) he is often injured B) he is terrible.  How many games is he owed before a judgement on his play can be made?  He had an entire preseason this year..so that excuse is off the table.

So you though Gruden's rant was professional and that he has done a good job coaching this team? Not just RG but the team?

Only thing I disagree with is that all three qbs have been terrible. Colt McCoy has shown the redskins can be a dangerous team with a decent qb. He's either won in his 3 games or put up very good stats. Against the colts last week he put up 390 yds and 3 tds. Yes, he gets sacked and fumbles, but he's still miles ahead of RGIII and Cousins. I'd argue he could be the Skins starting qb if they got rid of Griffin.

3 games and you think McCoy is "miles" ahead of RG and Cousins? ok. People thought Cousins was pretty good too and until he got benched for the third string guy ...

So you don't fault the coaching staff whatsoever for RGs regression? He looked pretty good his first year under a different coaching staff and a better team as well. 

I think maybe Gruden felt there was no way RG3 would ver be a competent QB and met a lot of opposition from Snider and the GM. Could be at that point he felt his NFL career was better served to pretty much say that his offense is OK but RG is demolishing it. Lots of conjecture there but I think there's probably a lot of strife going on in the organization and Gruden felt it best to distance himself from RG3.

Do you really believe that? Some how I don't buy it. Gruden should have kept his teams problems in house. He did not need to talk in front of the camera and dis a player from his team no matter how bad they are. I would say RG3s benching had already said enough. I guess one Gruden is just like another. Always talking too much.

3 games and you think McCoy is "miles" ahead of RG and Cousins? ok. People thought Cousins was pretty good too and until he got benched for the third string guy ...

I think pretty much every qb in the NFL is miles ahead of Griffin. Also, Cousins isn't any better. You obviously haven't seen much of Griffin or you would know how bad he is. He is a terrible pocket passer and he can't do the read option anymore because of his injuries. Any backup on almost any team is "miles" ahead of Griffin right now. Cousins beats himself up too much when he throws INT's or makes any mistakes and takes himself out of the game. McCoy not only has more experience, but he is improving each time he starts as RGIII and Cousins have done nothing but regressed. Also, don't clump me in with "other people" to form your opinion. 

Do you really believe that? Some how I don't buy it. Gruden should have kept his teams problems in house. He did not need to talk in front of the camera and dis a player from his team no matter how bad they are. I would say RG3s benching had already said enough. I guess one Gruden is just like another. Always talking too much.

I didn't say that's what happened , I just put it out there. I have no idea what went on behind closed doors betten the ownership , GM and coaching staff. It was very evident that Gruden pretty much thinks RG# is "miles away " form being better then a back up QB or he doesn't bench him for Colt McCoy. All we know is Gruden ripped him on national TV and I was as surprised as any. I think all my post back then support that. Coming to a conclusion as to why maybe goes deeper than we all just thought at first.. that Jay Gruden was a total jek. Was it because he's terrible and Gruden was really angry at the comments RG made about his team mates playing better ? Could be or could be as you infer , the guy is just ignorant. I was just putting it out there that maybe there was big strife between Gruden and Snyder and Gruden knew he was gone and is just trying to show the football world that he is totally off the RG# boat and he's making a stand that he feels might in the end result make him look like a better football coach. Dunno.... just threw that out there.

I'm not obsessed with his demise , I find this to be boarder line intriguing . When I see news on it I report it. Evidently others find it interesting as all the RG3 threads seem to have plenty of hits from a lot of different posters. I never said Gruden was a bad coach , decent coach , should stay or should go. I do know he was highly thought of and was a coveted coach. I also don't know what might have pushed Gruden to the point that he felt it right to say that RG# is pretty much terrible in every phase on the QB position. What I did say was watching hiim play , he does indeed appear to be terrible. I also just called him a "coach killer." That's really not ab unfair statement with what we have to work with at this point in time. The guy has a bloated ego , was said to have not put in the time to learn the offense , appears to not be real coachable and has made plenty of remarks that would question his leadership qualities. I mean terrible play by your QB that the owner and GM mortgaged the teams future on leads to two coaching changes in two years if Gruden is fired. That IMO qualifies as a "coach killer." 

It's easy to point fingers from the outside in, But I am sure Gruden wasn't the one who turned the locker room against RGIII... If you had to choose between 1 diva player or the whole team, who will you go with... The press conference was uncalled for, but to fair. He only stated the obvious, RGIII should worry about himself and not everyone else he isn't the coaches... RGIII did have bad footwork and bad drop backs, the time of read option Qb's are over in the league. They were fun to watch for the 2-3 year window there, but teams now know how to defense them.  If you call out other people, be prepared to be called out yourself.

It's easy to point fingers from the outside in, But I am sure Gruden wasn't the one who turned the locker room against RGIII... If you had to choose between 1 diva player or the whole team, who will you go with... The press conference was uncalled for, but to fair. He only stated the obvious, RGIII should worry about himself and not everyone else he isn't the coaches... RGIII did have bad footwork and bad drop backs, the time of read option Qb's are over in the league. They were fun to watch for the 2-3 year window there, but teams now know how to defense them.  If you call out other people, be prepared to be called out yourself.

Funny how the talking heads were doing those silly diagrams and showing how it was pretty much impossible to defend the read option with 11 defenders. Not to change the subject , but I see Kapernick now runs for around 50 yards a game and his play is staring to drop off the cliff. BTW.. I think you need to add to RG3's demise the horrible pocket presence and possibility that he can't read a defense. This is why he was sacked once for every 6 pass attempts.

Any smart GM knows not to let the player control the franchise, but vice versa. The idea that the Redskins would let go of a good coach just because he can't coach RGIII shows you how bad the ownership is. People bash Jerry Jones, but Snyder has got to be the worst owner in the league. Letting one guy dictate the direction of their franchise. It's sad.

I hope doesn't think that he can just hire some gimmicky read-option college coach that'll bring a running QB based playbook to the team and it'll revitalize RGIII. It'll work for maybe a season until the tape runs out and they'll be in the same position. The RGIII drama used to funny, but now I feel bad for Redskins fans. The only thing they could do is really gather some support and try and buy the Skins from him. That's a stretch, but that seems to be the only way things will get better.

So you though Gruden's rant was professional and that he has done a good job coaching this team? Not just RG but the team?

I wouldn't characterize it as a rant.  It seemed like a pretty calm and rational breakdown of the flaws in RG3's game.  Sure, its out of the norm to make specific comments like that about your quarterback but I think Robert's history of deflecting blame to teammates is the cause behind it.  Regarding Gruden, I don't know how good a coach he is but I don't think one season at the helm of a dumpster fire (that he didn't start) is necessarily the best indicator.  I'm sure he has made some mistakes (not replacing Haslett) but I think it'd be silly to judge his coaching solely on the results of this mess.

So you don't fault the coaching staff whatsoever for RGs regression? He looked pretty good his first year under a different coaching staff and a better team as well.   

Ronnie Brown looked pretty good running the wildcat for one season...  Eventually, the league catches on to the gimmicky junk that works consistently in college.  RG3's first season was an aberration for several reasons (unfamiliar scheme, physical tools he no longer has).  

The saddest thing is I don't think Robert has regressed as much as he has finally made it to a point where he is being asked to do things he can't do (pre-snap and post-snap reads, feel pressure in the pocket, make quick decisions, etc.).  Its not regression at all.  Its an inability to progress.  Maybe Gruden is at fault but I'm willing to bet that the fault will also lie with the next coach and the one after that and the one after that...

I think pretty much every qb in the NFL is miles ahead of Griffin. Also, Cousins isn't any better. You obviously haven't seen much of Griffin or you would know how bad he is. He is a terrible pocket passer and he can't do the read option anymore because of his injuries. Any backup on almost any team is "miles" ahead of Griffin right now. Cousins beats himself up too much when he throws INT's or makes any mistakes and takes himself out of the game. McCoy not only has more experience, but he is improving each time he starts as RGIII and Cousins have done nothing but regressed. Also, don't clump me in with "other people" to form your opinion. 

0 points, 2 picks for McCoy today. Sure looked miles ahead of RG and Cousins today ...

I'm not obsessed with his demise , I find this to be boarder line intriguing . When I see news on it I report it. Evidently others find it interesting as all the RG3 threads seem to have plenty of hits from a lot of different posters. I never said Gruden was a bad coach , decent coach , should stay or should go. I do know he was highly thought of and was a coveted coach. I also don't know what might have pushed Gruden to the point that he felt it right to say that RG# is pretty much terrible in every phase on the QB position. What I did say was watching hiim play , he does indeed appear to be terrible. I also just called him a "coach killer." That's really not ab unfair statement with what we have to work with at this point in time. The guy has a bloated ego , was said to have not put in the time to learn the offense , appears to not be real coachable and has made plenty of remarks that would question his leadership qualities. I mean terrible play by your QB that the owner and GM mortgaged the teams future on leads to two coaching changes in two years if Gruden is fired. That IMO qualifies as a "coach killer." 

Snyder is the coach killer. He cycles through his coaches every 2 years ...

This isn't about the QB anymore. The team has given up on Gruden. No effort. No heart.

I think the threads have been pretty much whether or not RG3 is a bust. Pretty convenient for those that have taken the stand that he isn't to put everything on Gruden. I mean c'mon , I would bet you didn't see two plays of the game today and you're making assessments like that. 

I think the threads have been pretty much whether or not RG3 is a bust. Pretty convenient for those that have taken the stand that he isn't to put everything on Gruden. I mean c'mon , I would bet you didn't see two plays of the game today and you're making assessments like that. 

Do you really think the biggest issue in DC is who the QB is? And how many threads do we really need on it at this point? RG is a bust in DC. There is no debate. He will move on to another team.