Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rex would upgrade our defense

Coltivated

I would hate to have Rex as a head coach but he'd be a great hire as a defensive coordinator.  Problem is he envisions himself as a head coach so the chances of this happening are likely slim to none. 

I think Rex has lost his vision as a head coach, he has pretty much said he is awful as a head coach several times this year.  He has gone 9-7, 11-5, 8-8, 6-10, 8-8, and is now 2-10 and has never finished better than 2nd in the AFC East (granted the Pats have been very good during this time, but the Bills and Dolphins have pretty much stunk until this year).  He certainly doesn't seem to have improved as a head coach in the NFL during his 6 years, if anything it seems like he has regressed.

I like munusky but I think it might be a good move of he gets fired in ny

I think we should keep Manusky -- he is doing a very good job with a limited cast this year, IMO.  Losing Mathis hurt bad, but he's shown some creativity in mixing up blitz packages and we have been generating some good pressure this year.  We pretty much tore our entire defense apart since his arrival (in fact, I think Mathis is the only defensive player on our team that was here during the pre-Manusky era -- and he is hurt).  IMO, we owe it to Manusky to let him keep building the monster -- if some of our young guys can take that next step (e.g., Hughes, Kerr, Newsome, Werner, Chapman, etc.) and we can add a few pieces (I think we can improve the secondary a bit, and it never hurts to add more weapons the front 7) and if Mathis is back healthy next year, I see no reason why Manusky can't make this a very solid D.  We have been a little inconsistent so far this year, but we have definitely shown flashes of excellence - we're still young, so hopefully those inconsistencies start to go away.

I could see Rex or Rob hired as DC. Our Defense is decent, but either could help it become better. JMO

Avoid Rob!!  I don't want Rob to have anything to do with our organization.  The guy has been overrated because of his name and his defenses have all been pretty bad despite a lot of talent.  I'm strongly against hiring Rob Ryan

I agree with ColtsFanMike.  I think a lot of us overestimate the talent on D.  Besides Vontea, there are no real impact players.  A lot of average Joes.

That being said, I think Grigs and the front office should evaluate the coaching staff at the end of the year just like they evaluate the player.  If there are upgrades available, they should make them.

I can't reference right now but I thought his defense is always did pretty good each year. I don't know but he seems like a guy that would bring it every game. Energy to feed the d. Munusky seems pretty even coy. I'm not saying upgrade at all cost like hiring harbough over pagano.I still believe in loyalty to a degree.

I think Rex has lost his vision as a head coach, he has pretty much said he is awful as a head coach several times this year.  He has gone 9-7, 11-5, 8-8, 6-10, 8-8, and is now 2-10 and has never finished better than 2nd in the AFC East (granted the Pats have been very good during this time, but the Bills and Dolphins have pretty much stunk until this year).  He certainly doesn't seem to have improved as a head coach in the NFL during his 6 years, if anything it seems like he has regressed.

I think we should keep Manusky -- he is doing a very good job with a limited cast this year, IMO.  Losing Mathis hurt bad, but he's shown some creativity in mixing up blitz packages and we have been generating some good pressure this year.  We pretty much tore our entire defense apart since his arrival (in fact, I think Mathis is the only defensive player on our team that was here during the pre-Manusky era -- and he is hurt).  IMO, we owe it to Manusky to let him keep building the monster -- if some of our young guys can take that next step (e.g., Hughes, Kerr, Newsome, Werner, Chapman, etc.) and we can add a few pieces (I think we can improve the secondary a bit, and it never hurts to add more weapons the front 7) and if Mathis is back healthy next year, I see no reason why Manusky can't make this a very solid D.  We have been a little inconsistent so far this year, but we have definitely shown flashes of excellence - we're still young, so hopefully those inconsistencies start to go away.

You correctly point out that his record has regressed as head coach of the Jets.  However, I attribute a lot of that to the Jets front office.  They are a poorly run organization in my opinion.  I believe Rex is a better head coach than his record otherwise would indicate but having said that I still wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole as a head coach for the Colts.  He exudes too much false bravado for my tastes.  As a defensive coordinator though...I'd be willing to entertainment the thought.  I am not too enamored with the inconsistent nature of our defense under Manusky and Pagano.  Rex has a proven track record of building good defenses that would be hard to ignore...should he be open to being a D.C...which again I think is unlikely.

While Sexy Rexy is a very good Defensive Mind and coach, I really don't think that his Ego/Mouth would be a good fit here with the Colts. Just don't know if he could accept a subordinate position.

IMHO if you keep blowing up coaching and bringing different schemes in every 2,3,4 years it is a recipe for disaster.

I think Rex is a very good DC......

I'm just not sure his personality is a fit in this organization.    WAY too big.

Plus,  what's the beef with Manusky?!?  

He lost Mathis,  last year's defensive player of the year.    He's blitzing like heck to get some kind of pass rush.

And other than Vonte Davis,  he doesn't have the most talented personnel.    That's why a number of us here have been calling for a heavy investment in defense over the next two years.

In other words,  Manusky is doing his job with smoke and mirrors.   We may not go far in the playoffs,  but it's not going to be Manusky's fault.

I'm just not sure his personality is a fit in this organization.    WAY too big.

He lost Mathis,  last year's defensive player of the year.    He's blitzing like heck to get some kind of pass rush.

And other than Vonte Davis,  he doesn't have the most talented personnel.    That's why a number of us here have been calling for a heavy investment in defense over the next two years.

In other words,  Manusky is doing his job with smoke and mirrors.   We may not go far in the playoffs,  but it's not going to be Manusky's fault.

I don't think it's as much of a beef with Manusky well maybe for some but if you can get one of if not the best D mind in football why would you not ? For me he knows how to game plan against the NFL's best something we have been lacking in recent years .

i don't have a beef with Manusky as he has done a fine job considering the talent. but if there is a clear upgrade, why not?

You correctly point out that his record has regressed as head coach of the Jets.  However, I attribute a lot of that to the Jets front office.  They are a poorly run organization in my opinion.  I believe Rex is a better head coach than his record otherwise would indicate but having said that I still wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole as a head coach for the Colts.  He exudes too much false bravado for my tastes.  As a defensive coordinator though...I'd be willing to entertainment the thought.  I am not too enamored with the inconsistent nature of our defense under Manusky and Pagano.  Rex has a proven track record of building good defenses that would be hard to ignore...should he be open to being a D.C...which again I think is unlikely.

To my knowledge, Ryan has had quite a bit of say with the front office for NYJ, especially the past 2 seasons -- "When Mike Tannenbaum was fired and the Jets avoided free agency in 2013 it was clear that the rebuilding approach would win out. Ryan was selected to lead the rebuilding effort by owner Woody Johnson despite the hiring of Idzik as general manager. To say the last two years have been a disaster is probably the understatement of the year." (from http://overthecap.com/rex-ryan-go-regardless-next-7-games/).  While that article may be biased, I used to live in NJ and from reading the newspaper his first 2-3 years, it sure seemed like he had quite a bit of say with his team.  They're on their 3rd offensive coordinator since he has been there, which (at least IMO) speaks to the head coach.  When you come in with your staff, you should have faith and vision to build a monster.  You are correct, Ryan has a good defensive mind, but I think he has lost some credibility with his antics over the past 4 years.  If he is going to be offered a head coaching job, it will most likely not be at the NFL level (maybe in college, or possibly as a very long shot with the Bears).  There are already tons of rumors that pretty much every broadcasting network is ready to offer him a contract to be on TV.

Regardless, if we are to blame Ryan's poor performance on the front office instead of himself, I think it is fair to give Manusky more time in our system.  Ryan has had 6 years, he came into a pretty good team and started 9-7, then 11-5 and has gotten worse since.  Manusky (and Pagano) came into a 2-14 team, inherited a group of players that didn't know their system or philosophy and were not physically built to play in it and have gone 11-5, 11-5 and looks like we'll go 11-5 or 12-4 this year.  In year 1, we went very offense heavy in the draft and had a pretty make-shift defense.  Year 2, we drafted some developmental players for the D who are still works in progress but still are progressing in their 2nd season.  This year, his 3rd year, Manusky is coaching a team that does not have a single player from 3 years ago on it (because Mathis is hurt).  I like Cory Redding and appreciate what he has done for us here, same for RJF, Toler, Walden and some others we have signed as free agents, but truth be told is none of those guys were much when they joined our team (Redding started 25 of 45 games the 3 years prior to coming here, RJF was a back up, Toler was a starter in 15 of 38 games prior to coming here, and Walden started 26 games in the 7 seasons before he came here and was one of the lowest ranked part-time starting LBs in football).  These guys have performed adequately and are built more into this system than what we had, but I don't think any of them were meant to be long-term solutions as we continue to build through the draft.  Landry, Art Jones, and D'Qwell Jackson are the only three defenders we have signed that were proven before they got here -- D'Qwell is playing pretty well for us this season, Landry has been a bust, and Art Jones (who I still think is our most talented DL) has been injured.

There certainly have been some inconsistencies, but our young guys have all shown improvement and we are still building this monster.  Manusky has shown he can mix-up blitz packages and get to the QB even after losing a 19+ sack guy in Mathis and working with a defense that has seen quite a bit of injuries/suspensions and players that are in their first year in it.  We need to cut our inconsistencies down, but we have shown flashes of excellence and it appears that we continue to be improving.  Pagano and Grigs had a clear vision when they started building this monster, and I think Manusky was a big part of that and deserves to stick around.

My only problem with him is that he doesn't seem to adjust very quickly when things aren't working.  But I agree, except for Vontae, our D is made up of decent, but barely above average players.  Which results in a decent, but barely above average defense.

He gets a lot out of them though.  And if they continue to play barely above average, we can win it all with the offense we have.

My only problem with him is that he doesn't seem to adjust very quickly when things aren't working.  But I agree, except for Vontae, our D is made up of decent, but barely above average players.  Which results in a decent, but barely above average defense.

He gets a lot out of them though.  And if they continue to play barely above average, we can win it all with the offense we have.

i wish they played barely above average. it's not that they stink, but when they are bad, they are really bad.

i wish they played barely above average. it's not that they stink, but when they are bad, they are really bad.

No doubt.  The Steelers and Pats games put us in the below average category for the year if you go by stats.

But we're actually above the Pack and the Eagles in net yards allowed.  Teams with explosive offenses can win with average defenses.  But when the offense gives up points, it kills you.  So if we can cut down on the turnovers, we can beat anyone.

I don't think it's as much of a beef with Manusky well maybe for some but if you can get one of if not the best D mind in football why would you not ? For me he knows how to game plan against the NFL's best something we have been lacking in recent years .

I'm, not sure we dont' know how to game plan for the NFL's best.  

I just don't think we've got great personnel on that side of the ball.

We'got got Davis and Mathis, and Mathis is out this year.     Not much to work with.....

i don't have a beef with Manusky as he has done a fine job considering the talent. but if there is a clear upgrade, why not?

I don't see Rex fitting in in Indianapolis.     He's a big market, big media guy.

I'm not sure he's a fit in in our organization.

Clearly, I could be wrong.    But we'd have to fire Manusky first in order to get Rex.   And what if you don't get him?

Then what?

Rex Ryan will upgrade/improve any defense

I don't see why so many people still view Rex Ryan as the 'best D mind in football' or as some huge upgrade over Manusky.  Ever since he lost Revis, Ryan has not had any great defenses -- they've been good or OK, but it's not like he is building a dominant defense every year.  There is a line of thought, which I tend to agree with, that a way to judge a coach is how he performs over time in the division because that is every team's first goal at the start of the season ('win the division') and because they play division teams more than anyone else.  Ryan has gone 3-9 to NE and 4-7 to Miami since he has been the Jets' coach and has only gone 7-5 against Buffalo, who prior to this year has been one of the laughing-stocks of the league. 

I am not saying Rex is a bad coach, or would be a bad D-coordinator -- I just look at the fact he inherited a 9-7 team with a decent defense in place, took them to 9-7 to 11-5 (both teams had stellar defenses) to never having a winning record again and having good but not great defenses after losing Revis.  I don't think there is anything clear in any of this to suggest Ryan is the best defensive mind in football -- he certainly had a strong case at some point, but I don't see it as being too valid any more.

I don't see any way we can win it all.    I think the defense that got crushed by New England and Pittsburgh,  and I now fear is going to take a pounding in Dallas is going to get killed in the later rounds of the playoffs.    Just like last year.

We'll win the first round.    But once you get past that round,  you start facing the real teams.   And that's where we'll have big trouble.     As always in this situation,   I hope I'm wrong.....

I don't see Rex fitting in in Indianapolis.     He's a big market, big media guy.

I'm not sure he's a fit in in our organization.

Clearly, I could be wrong.    But we'd have to fire Manusky first in order to get Rex.   And what if you don't get him?

Then what?

not sure he is just a big market guy....NYC is the only big market he has coached in.

and i'm sure the colts could put out feelers for rex before they axed manusky. not that any of this will happen

I don't see any way we can win it all.    I think the defense that got crushed by New England and Pittsburgh,  and I now fear is going to take a pounding in Dallas is going to get killed in the later rounds of the playoffs.    Just like last year.

We'll win the first round.    But once you get past that round,  you start facing the real teams.   And that's where we'll have big trouble.     As always in this situation,   I hope I'm wrong.....

i'm not all that confident colts win in the first round

I don't see why so many people still view Rex Ryan as the 'best D mind in football' or as some huge upgrade over Manusky. Ever since he lost Revis, Ryan has not had any great defenses -- they've been good or OK, but it's not like he is building a dominant defense every year. There is a line of thought, which I tend to agree with, that a way to judge a coach is how he performs over time in the division because that is every team's first goal at the start of the season ('win the division') and because they play division teams more than anyone else. Ryan has gone 3-9 to NE and 4-7 to Miami since he has been the Jets' coach and has only gone 7-5 against Buffalo, who prior to this year has been one of the laughing-stocks of the league.

I am not saying Rex is a bad coach, or would be a bad D-coordinator -- I just look at the fact he inherited a 9-7 team with a decent defense in place, took them to 9-7 to 11-5 (both teams had stellar defenses) to never having a winning record again and having good but not great defenses after losing Revis. I don't think there is anything clear in any of this to suggest Ryan is the best defensive mind in football -- he certainly had a strong case at some point, but I don't see it as being too valid any more.

that jets defense isn't exactly loaded with talent and he still manages to have them in the top 10 every year. look at what happened to Belichick when their talent level dipped on D....they stunk.

I think Rex would be a good hire. The roster we have right now is a good fit for his defence, he has a mouth on him but if he can get him into an organisation that doesn't have big media coverage 24/7, no QB controversy (touch wood), then I think he could be a great DC.

But I would be in 2 minds about letting Manusky go. I like the guy and what he's done so far. It would be an upgrade rather a sacking and back to drawing board. To me it would feel like a bit of d**k move on the front office's part, and that's not what colts are about.

I say we stick Manusky, another draft or 2 and we could be dominant on D.