Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Remember.

SIXTHOBJECT

Is 'everybody' the other name of Skip Bayless???

LOL, true!  Because it was everybody until Luck's Pro Day, and he did this at the very end-

"Luck completed 46 of 50 passes, and three of those incompletions were drops by his receivers, including a perfect 70-yard-plus spiral that Chris Owusu mishandled in the end zone. It was the final pass of the day, requested by scouts to test Luck's arm strength, which might be about the only thing some have questioned."

and-

"It was probably the first workout I've seen where a guy throws into the wind," Colts quarterback coach Clyde Christensen said. "That probably reveals something about him, that he just goes and plays football, which is kind of neat."

Full story here:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7724139/andrew-luck-relishes-spotlight-stanford-cardinal-pro-day

LOL, true!  Because it was everybody until Luck's Pro Day, and he did this at the very end-

"Luck completed 46 of 50 passes, and three of those incompletions were drops by his receivers, including a perfect 70-yard-plus spiral that Chris Owusu mishandled in the end zone. It was the final pass of the day, requested by scouts to test Luck's arm strength, which might be about the only thing some have questioned."

and-

"It was probably the first workout I've seen where a guy throws into the wind," Colts quarterback coach Clyde Christensen said. "That probably reveals something about him, that he just goes and plays football, which is kind of neat."

Full story here:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7724139/andrew-luck-relishes-spotlight-stanford-cardinal-pro-day

Look at the big brains on Clyde! 

Might know my two good buds beat me to it.  I knew the kid could throw it a mile.  Good job guys!!! :thmup:  :thmup:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!

The only one who criticized Luck's deep ball was Phil Simms.

Simms didn't criticize Luck's deep ball. He questioned Luck's ability to make "big time nfl throws".

And even then it wasn't because he didn't think Luck could make those type of throws but rather because he simply hadn't seen luck have to make those types of throws.

Yeah people around these boards are a funny folk. Though if we are being honest with ourself. It was mainly the distraught fans of Peyton who killed Luck about everything he did his rookie year. They were hoping he would fail, or trying to point out "glaring" flaws, to prove we should have kept Peyton. 

That group has shrunk to the smallest minority these days. Thankfully. 

When everybody was saying Andrew couldn't throw the deep ball. Everybody was worried about his arm strength.

i remember dismissing those concerns much like I did when people said that's why the Colts should draft Leaf over Manning in 98 too. Arm strength is over rated when comparing two high draft pick selections.

Yeah people around these boards are a funny folk. Though if we are being honest with ourself. It was mainly the distraught fans of Peyton who killed Luck about everything he did his rookie year. They were hoping he would fail, or trying to point out "glaring" flaws, to prove we should have kept Peyton. 

That group has shrunk to the smallest minority these days. Thankfully.

in another year or two you won't be able to find them at all just like you can't find anyone who wanted Leaf over Manning and people will start saying it was a no brainer to do what the Colts did much like people said about drafting manning when it became undisputedly clear it was the right call.

For those wondering, here is what Phil Simms actually said

“But the one thing I don’t see, I just don’t see big time NFL throws.  I don’t care what anybody says.  I’ve watched a lot of him.  He never takes it and rips it in there.  And you can say what you want but, man, you’ve got to be able to crease that ball every once in a while.  We see it every week in these games.  Hey, he can develop it but even in the USC game, you know, he’s very careful with it, guides it a lot, Rich.  That’s what I see.  There’s not a lot of rotation on the ball and there’s not a tremendous amount of power.  Not that you need to have that power arm.  I’m not saying you’ve got to have that exclusively but, man, it sure helps when you can do that because there’s four or five plays a game it is about arm strength.  And sometimes quarterbacks who don’t have it, they pass those plays up.  Why?  Well, they go, ‘I don’t know if I can make that throw,’ so they throw it short.  That’s why I’m a little more reserved in my judgment than everybody else.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/02/phil-simms-not-sold-on-andrew-luck/

On Luck's first TD pass to Moncrief, he dropped back and surveyed the field. He was looking left as the pocket started to collapse. He looked right and saw Moncrief. Just as the pocket collapsed, Luck (flat footed and unable to step into his throw) fires a lazer 50 yards down field to Moncrief for the TD.

It was an amazing play by Luck and really showcased his arm strength!!!!!

When everybody was saying Andrew couldn't throw the deep ball. Everybody was worried about his arm strength.

Your memory is playing tricks with you.......

The pass they said he had the most trouble with is the fade.    Worse than the deep ball.   And he's gotten better at that.

Second,  "everybody" was not saying AL couldn't throw the deep ball.    Just a few.

Third,   the deep ball wasn't and isn't the best pass he throws.   He throws other passes better.

Fourth,   Andrew's arm has gotten much stronger.   It's stronger now than it was at Stanford.   Playing football full-time will do that to you.     You know who else that happened for?    Aaron Rodgers.    His arm now is much stronger than it was at Cal.

The best part about Luck is that he's getting better.    And he will continue to get better for many more years to come....

The pass they said he had the most trouble with is the fade.    Worse than the deep ball.   And he's gotten better at that.

Second,  "everybody" was not saying AL couldn't throw the deep ball.    Just a few.

Third,   the deep ball wasn't and isn't the best pass he throws.   He throws other passes better.

Fourth,   Andrew's arm has gotten much stronger.   It's stronger now than it was at Stanford.   Playing football full-time will do that to you.     You know who else that happened for?    Aaron Rodgers.    His arm now is much stronger than it was at Cal.

The best part about Luck is that he's getting better.    And he will continue to get better for many more years to come....

I'm not sure what you are calling a deep ball, but Luck leads the NFL this year in deep ball completions (20+ yards). I actually would argue it is one of his strengths, as in one of his better passes if not the best. 

Edit: I agree with the premise of your post; just wanted to point out that the deep throw actually is a strength this year. 

There were a couple threads started about his arm strength after he under threw a couple passes early in his rookie season. They probably stick out because they were ridiculous.