Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your grade on the Grigson/Irsay Monster Team

The Old Crow

The Colts have attempted to model themselves against large, physical Northeast teams. They have made some good upgrades with Redding, Jones, Davis, etc, and also have some deficiencies. What areas get A's or F's and need the most improvement for the playoffs ? The good news is the Colts will certainly be 8-4 after thumping the Jags and Redskins, and will win the AFC South. Can some of these areas and grades be moved up for a playoff run with tweaks , or injury returns ?

C

That power running game that we were promised, has never materialized and probably never will.

Then the D that can stop the run, hasn't been consistent. They don't have any defensive star power outside of Vontae and Mathis.

I'm not sure if we don't have talented enough players to be what we want, or if the coaching staff isn't getting it done. Or perhaps both.

imo we have poor talent at most positions on the o-line also the coaching and scheme is suspect, grade d on the o-line. on defense without a rush lb the 3-4 is not working for us. do we have the talent and right players to switch to a 4-3? can a switch to 4-3 in midseason be worse than the defense we are putting on the field? also the coaching and scheme on defense has to be suspect. grade d on defense

I do think we have the personnel to go more 4 man fronts. Our LBs are getting eaten up in run D if teams put in extra TEs against us.

Our best bet might be 4-2-5 looks with 3 safeties instead of 3 CBs. It gives us more flexibility and at least we can just put in Landry as a LB up front and not expose our LB pass coverage as much.

I think the biggest issue we have is our coaching under Pagano.  We can say we don't have talent, but does NE have that better talent then us?  Brian Stork at center?  These guys are destroyed by KC and Miami.  But against us, they looked like the 1972 Miami Dolphin line.   Same thing on defense.  I saw NE penetrating guys who were castoffs from other teams.

My frustration with this version of the Colts and even the Peyton Manning Colts is they simply don't adjust much.  They are going to line up and do what they do week after week.  A guy like * changes per game, per half, per quarter.    For example, teams have exploited the Colts up the middle this year.  Run blitzing and pass blitzing.  So I would have thought Hamilton would run more screens or more outside plays to offset it.  To get the Patriots to cover more of the field.  Nope. line up and do the same thing we did in the last game.  Defensively, i would think Manusky might consider using more of a 4-3 in the second half to add more bulk to the line and stop the run more.  Nope.  Just keep doing the same thing. Thats the part the frustrates me.

I hate the Patriots but respect *.  I hope Pagano watches how * schemes for a team and learns something from it.

I would say the monster, talent wise, is a B.  Coaching is a C

I should add on my passing attack A- grade... I believe the only reason it's got a - next to it, is that the the lack of a rushing attack making us one dimensional. We're the #1 passing offense in the NFL but I think we really would be more efficient if the defense had to respect our run game more. I think the players they've drafted (Luck, Allen, Hilton, Moncrief, Fleener) are absolutely outstanding as a group. Even Bradshaw was a good add for the passing game, although unfortunately he's going to be out now. 

It's games like yesterday why I wished we would have never given the "building the monster" slogan legs.  I've always thought it was silly and I still think it's silly today.  But when we lose like this - and especially when losses such as this support the notion that this year's team just isn't superbowl worthy - it gets thrown in our faces.  Meh...how about we just put a team together and let the pundits call us crap that we don't like so at least then we can pass it off as the media being the media.  There's a reason you don't give yourself a nickname...

There's nothing wrong with the way the team is constructed, or the "slogan" that they came up with when they were trying to turn around a 2-14 dumpster fire. The team just needs a few more players. Missing the best pass rusher and could stand to have another one, need to be more athletic at linebacker, need to improve at safety. On offense, starting three young offensive linemen in the middle due to injuries and other things, and that's the extent of the issues on offense (aside from injuries to Bradshaw and Allen). 

Just because a team has weaknesses doesn't mean it's construction is flawed. 

It's games like yesterday why I wished we would have never given the "building the monster" slogan legs.  I've always thought it was silly and I still think it's silly today.  But when we lose like this - and especially when losses such as this support the notion that this year's team just isn't superbowl worthy - it gets thrown in our faces.  Meh...how about we just put a team together and let the pundits call us crap that we don't like so at least then we can pass it off as the media being the media.  There's a reason you don't give yourself a nickname...

I agree with you. I thought all the "Monster" references sounded a bit ridiculous from the start. Definitely didn't sound professional. It isn't something you'd hear most head coaches calling their teams. Granted, I realize Pagano has a more of a happy-go-lucky, always positive, "player friendly" personality than guys like Belichick, Payton, etc., but it still seemed like all it would do is provide locker room material for other teams.