Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nicks makes Wesseling's UFA flop list

ztboiler

I realize that a sportswriter has to start somewhere when tasked with making a list of disappointments, and I don't think too many of us expected Nicks to be on pace for under 500 yards this year.  However, is Hakeem Nicks really the 6th most disappointing UFA signing of the year?  

Nicks is under delivering, but I'm not sure a 1 year sub $4M risk/reward contract can make the list of top flops when you consider all the variables.  Neither should a flier on Champ Bailey...not sure how a signing of that nature is part of the conversation.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000423361/article/saints-jairus-byrd-leads-list-of-top-10-freeagent-flops

Entirely inconsequential free agent deals, low risk, a hoped for high reward which didn't/hasn't come, but there's no real impact on the team now or long term. IMO, Nicks and Bailey don't belong on this list.

Byrd, Butler (who gets burned in coverage all the time), and a few other guys who got a bunch of money and haven't performed, for whatever reason, should be on this list. One year, low risk flier deals are a waste of ink, IMO.

That said, Nicks hasn't performed the way most of us hoped he would.

Entirely inconsequential free agent deals, low risk, a hoped for high reward which didn't/hasn't come, but there's no real impact on the team now or long term. IMO, Nicks and Bailey don't belong on this list.

Byrd, Butler (who gets burned in coverage all the time), and a few other guys who got a bunch of money and haven't performed, for whatever reason, should be on this list. One year, low risk flier deals are a waste of ink, IMO.

That said, Nicks hasn't performed the way most of us hoped he would.

I know it is just a filler piece that gets buried in the volumes of drivel, and I guess it is reflective of how difficult it must be to write something insightful when pressed with the demands to produce volume.  Volume and insight are rarely found together.

I believe we may yet be glad we have Nicks this season before it is all over.  Whether that will turn into a new contract or not is less interesting to contemplate.. if he does something amazing like single handedly dominate to win a playoff game or Super Bowl, perhaps it will look like one of the very best UFA signings.  As is, he's not hurting us, and I'll take him for depth any day over what we've had in the past.  He's going to be playing desperate to finish the season which might backfire or may propel him.  Of course this all assumes his number will even be called enough to come through as I see him about 6th or lower on the list of "go to" clutch options.  But I for one would not be surprised to see him take over a matchup/game when we need him to.   But likely even if it happens, it will be too little too late.  It might be enough to keep him from getting the Vet minimum next year.  

I know it is just a filler piece that gets buried in the volumes of drivel, and I guess it is reflective of how difficult it must be to write something insightful when pressed with the demands to produce volume.  Volume and insight are rarely found together.

He could have cut that list in half, and it would have been better. Or maybe five disappointments, and five surprises.

Couldn't help but notice Evan dietrich-smith as a runner up. Maybe grigson made the right call there

I didn't notice that. He's not having a great year, but their offensive line has been a mess altogether. Anthony Collins is on the list, they brought in Mankins at the last minute, and he hasn't been good, etc. And even though EDS hasn't been great, he's given up fewer pressures than Harrison, in a hundred more snaps. I'd still take him as our center.

Also, the first year is guaranteed, and there's no signing bonus, which is something the Bucs have been doing for a while now with veteran acquisitions. So if they want him to go fly a kite after this season, they're not left holding the rope.

Another Buc on the honorable mention list is Alterraun Verner. They gave him significantly less than we gave Davis, and people whined and whined and whined. And here we are, halfway through the season, and Davis is performing as well as any corner in the league, in a tougher defensive scheme, while Verner is giving up a passer rating against of 127, 69% completions, and has allowed 5 TDs.

Because we've mostly been healthy at the WR spot, and we're getting great results from the TE's and surprisingly good results throwing to the RB's,  I don't think we've been hurt too much by Nicks.

And, I thought he looked much improved Monday night.     So, I'm modestly hopeful he'll have a better 2nd half of the season than his first half.

Whether that's enough to make much of a difference, I don't know.     But I'm still hoping.....

I didn't notice that. He's not having a great year, but their offensive line has been a mess altogether. Anthony Collins is on the list, they brought in Mankins at the last minute, and he hasn't been good, etc. And even though EDS hasn't been great, he's given up fewer pressures than Harrison, in a hundred more snaps. I'd still take him as our center.

well, let's be a little bit fair.  Harrison is a rookie learning on the fly while EDS is in his 5th year, and Holmes was the guy they envisioned as the starting C at that time instead of Harrison.   :)

Plus, I'll freely admit my last post was kind of a friendly jab at those who flew off the handle proclaiming how stupid Grigson was for not signing EDS and that Grigson should be tarred, feathered, burned at the stake and then fired.  Gotta have just a little bit of faith people.  Wait to see how things play out instead of running off the ledge before seeing how things play out.   I admit that was not one of my finer moments.  I walk a fine line between good and evil. lol :GoodBad:

That said, I would have had no problem with the Colts signed EDS in the offseason and I was even a little bit hoping they would simply to do whatever it takes to solidify the OL.  However, I also didn't think it was the end of the world that he didn't get signed, and I know you didn't either.  

Nicks has made a few plays when needed, and I'm not shocked that he is not putting up huge numbers partly because he is still becoming acclimated to a new team... and we have a ton of guys who can catch the football. In the end the pick up wasn't bad because it didn't cost a lot, and it gave us much needed depth at receiver especially with Rogers/Brazill being sent packing with their issues.

Because we've mostly been healthy at the WR spot, and we're getting great results from the TE's and surprisingly good results throwing to the RB's, I don't think we've been hurt too much by Nicks.

And, I thought he looked much improved Monday night. So, I'm modestly hopeful he'll have a better 2nd half of the season than his first half.

Whether that's enough to make much of a difference, I don't know. But I'm still hoping.....

Well you know the Patriots are gunna gameplan to take Hilton and company out of the game, so if Nicks could break out any week it would be super convienant against the Pats. I don't think it'll happen though. I think he quits on plays, reminds me a bit of randy moss

Nicks has made a few plays when needed, and I'm not shocked that he is not putting up huge numbers partly because he is still becoming acclimated to a new team... and we have a ton of guys who can catch the football. In the end the pick up wasn't bad because it didn't cost a lot, and it gave us much needed depth at receiver especially with Rogers/Brazill being sent packing with their issues.

It never ceases to amaze me why players can't call a cab or even hire a driver for a night....I mean Rogers easily made enough $$ to not drink and drive. And Purifoy shouldn't have let him do it either. It sucks though, both Rogers and Brazill had potential and did make plays for us. Especially Brazill against the Pats last year in the postseason!

I am not going to argue that Nicks has had a good season he hasn't but we have not needed him. TY is the man and Reggie is back then you have to find some time for Moncrief add the TE's he is kind of the odd man out.  

When we signed him we did not have Moncrief and it was not a certainty that Reggie would be Reggie. Really Nicks is just a back up WR on a team that throws to the TE's a lot. I would beat that Fleener and Allen have as many or more targets. I know Reggie and TY do so that would put him at  5th in targets. I don't think that is what he had in mind and it shows on the field sometimes.

Well you know the Patriots are gunna gameplan to take Hilton and company out of the game, so if Nicks could break out any week it would be super convienant against the Pats. I don't think it'll happen though. I think he quits on plays, reminds me a bit of randy moss

Nicks doesn't have the explosiveness that he possessed before the injuries.  If he did he would beat some of the DBs that he's facing.  Nicks is drawing the top cover CB on any team so his issues can't be just about being in a new system.  He's spent 6 months in the system.

As for the Pats, I have noticed that Revis can be attached - especially when he doesn't have a Safety over the top.    I have no expectation that Nicks can be a consistent difference maker.  I will say we will need an all pro game from Reggie and the TEs.  If they are playing well, the Colts are moving the chains, eating up clock and keeping Brady off the field.

I think it's mostly free agents who havn't done that well with their new teams.  I don't think it's so much about the contract handed to them as the player's inability to play.

Because he did mention the contract was a 1 year only sort of deal.  So it's not like he's calling the deal foolish, just calling out Nicks for not having done anything.

well, let's be a little bit fair.  Harrison is a rookie learning on the fly while EDS is in his 5th year, and Holmes was the guy they envisioned as the starting C at that time instead of Harrison.   :)

Plus, I'll freely admit my last post was kind of a friendly jab at those who flew off the handle proclaiming how stupid Grigson was for not signing EDS and that Grigson should be tarred, feathered, burned at the stake and then fired.  Gotta have just a little bit of faith people.  Wait to see how things play out instead of running off the ledge before seeing how things play out.   I admit that was not one of my finer moments.  I walk a fine line between good and evil. lol :GoodBad:

That said, I would have had no problem with the Colts signed EDS in the offseason and I was even a little bit hoping they would simply to do whatever it takes to solidify the OL.  However, I also didn't think it was the end of the world that he didn't get signed, and I know you didn't either.  

Oh yeah, I picked up on the jab. It was fair, I thought. ;)

And you're right, Harrison is a rookie and learning on the fly. I'm just saying that I think EDS has been better than our centers, IMO. At least in the couple of Bucs games I've watched. But I'm fine with our strategy. I think it's working out. We mostly agreed on this over the offseason, as you mentioned.

Nicks doesn't have the explosiveness that he possessed before the injuries. If he did he would beat some of the DBs that he's facing. Nicks is drawing the top cover CB on any team so his issues can't be just about being in a new system. He's spent 6 months in the system.

As for the Pats, I have noticed that Revis can be attached - especially when he doesn't have a Safety over the top. I have no expectation that Nicks can be a consistent difference maker. I will say we will need an all pro game from Reggie and the TEs. If they are playing well, the Colts are moving the chains, eating up clock and keeping Brady off the field.

Yeah, true that. Time of Posession and scoring touchdowns instead of field goals will come up huge next game. And hell Brady has been kickin butt lately, but I think it's more of keeping Gronkowski of the field haha

Couldn't help but notice Evan dietrich-smith as a runner up. Maybe grigson made the right call there

At this point in time I am glad he didn't sign him.  I don't even think he considered him really, but I was one of the *s pulling that Grigson sign a veteran C.  Yes, I would've liked seeing AM sign with us, but for what Harrison is doing for us, his age, and the money, I'm glad of the situation we in with that position.

I couldn't agree more.  If he was on a team without a true #1 WR the man would shine.  I don't care what people say about the numbers he puts up because, like you said, new team, and he is like a 6th option on the best offense in the league.  If Nicks were to have 100 catches 1500+ receiving other people would complain that TY has taken a step back or Reggie's injury has caught up with him, because he would be stealing their touches and they wouldn't be putting up the same numbers.  You cant please everybody...

I couldn't agree more. If he was on a team without a true #1 WR the man would shine. I don't care what people say about the numbers he puts up because, like you said, new team, and he is like a 6th option on the best offense in the league. If Nicks were to have 100 catches 1500+ receiving other people would complain that TY has taken a step back or Reggie's injury has caught up with him, because he would be stealing their touches and they wouldn't be putting up the same numbers. You cant please everybody...

You hit the nail on the head lol.. you cant please everyone.. nicks is the newest WR here so hes obviously is gonna be last option.. hes nothing more than a roll player here. If he was on a WR needy team he would be top 10 15 WR in the league.

You hit the nail on the head lol.. you cant please everyone.. nicks is the newest WR here so hes obviously is gonna be last option.. hes nothing more than a roll player here. If he was on a WR needy team he would be top 10 15 WR in the league.

I'm all for balancing the perspective on Nicks, but there is much more data to suggest that he is not capable of being a top 10-15 WR in the league anymore than that he is.  It has nothing to do with him being the newest WR here, it has to do with his ability to get open and make plays.  We don't have to flog him, or fail to appreciate that he can still make valuable contributions, but we also don't have to tip toe around the fact that the Giants knew what they were letting go and made a pretty accurate assessment. 

Do you think the team we played on Monday isn't in need of WR help?  Nicks is a role player here because that is the role he is capable of playing for us, the G-men or anywhere else, not because that's the role that is available.

I'm all for balancing the perspective on Nicks, but there is much more data to suggest that he is not capable of being a top 10-15 WR in the league anymore than that he is.  It has nothing to do with him being the newest WR here, it has to do with his ability to get open and make plays.  We don't have to flog him, or fail to appreciate that he can still make valuable contributions, but we also don't have to tip toe around the fact that the Giants knew what they were letting go and made a pretty accurate assessment. 

Do you think the team we played on Monday isn't in need of WR help?  Nicks is a role player here because that is the role he is capable of playing for us, the G-men or anywhere else, not because that's the role that is available.

I believe Nicks wanted too much money to stay in NY or else he probably would've resigned.  I can guarantee you with Cruz out, the Giants would welcome Hakeem Nicks back with open arms, if the contract was as much as what we paid for him. 

Patriots have the top tandem or close to the top CB tandem in the entire league (Browner / Revis).  I think we need to get everyone involved.  Nicks could be a big surprise in the shorter to mid routes.  However, I like Moncrief and Hilton to provide the big punch against this vaunted DB troop.